Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Meanwhile, in reality, normal people just use their phone and don’t blink twice about their precious email taking a half a second longer to open up.

I feel like these absurd “tests” becoming popular on YouTube has really screwed with tech enthusiasts understanding of normal people’s expectations from their phone.

how about losing your place in emails, safari, youtube or a powerpoint?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Doesn't happen. If i'm working on all those things simultaneously they all stay in ram. So no issue there. I can swipe back and forth and i'm good. I've never had an issue with things i'm actively working on having to re-load. And I was testing the ipad pro extensively yesterday with it's new multitasking and that wasn't an issue either.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008

I’m not the frenetic type. I get it’s a concern for people who absolutely need to be mobile and work exclusively on their phone.

Personally though, I’d never pick a phone form factor to do PowerPoint or excel type work.

I get people live on their phones, but I’m very much a believer in picking the right tool for the job.

Again, these are just my opinions. I fully get that the hyper mobile business types need these things, but if an iPhone isn’t cutting it I’d suggest getting the tool that gets it done right for you.

Reactions: tekjunkie

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Do not be so rude putting an adjective (“silly”) to someone’s feedback/comment!
I have recently ordered a 11 pro (waiting for it) and his comment is really appreciated. He is just depicting an scenario on which the pro model is behaving “strange” or “under performance” where it should not be the case. Hopefully looks like this was a bug fixed with 13.1 firmware.
but again, respect others comments!
have a nice day!

He’s not giving a perspective. He’s justifying why the iPhone 11 is better, spreading a rumor and saying that the iPhone 11 Pro has worse performance than the cheaper option. In which case benchmarks reflect the total opposite. While real world usage is probably identical.

they’re both identical phones. There should be no reason for one to perform worse than the other.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
More isn't always better, more RAM costs more battery to run and other system resources.

No, it doesn't.

Low Power DDR memory supports partial array self-refresh. If there is no data to store, that area of RAM doesn't need power.

I'm not sure where this myth of using more power comes from. And what other "system resources"?

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Why are people so caught up in this ram thing??

4GB is butter smooth. Performance is phenomenal!

what is wrong with the iPhone 11 Pro having 4GB??

people are so stuck in lol.

Yes, I wanted 6GB of ram too. but for absolutely no particular reason at all!!!

It took me a lot of hard work to push 5GB of utilized ram out of my iPad Pro 1TB. Unrealistic, and difficult circumstances. And it wouldn’t last long.

I think 4GB is enough. And anymore is just not required. Apple could have easily slapped 6GB right on if it needed it. Hell, even my 1TB iPad Pro has 6GB of ram! Apple continued to use 4GB of ram. They have a large market, and I think they know what they’re doing.

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
He’s not giving a perspective. He’s justifying why the iPhone 11 is better, spreading a rumor and saying that the iPhone 11 Pro has worse performance than the cheaper option. In which case benchmarks reflect the total opposite. While real world usage is probably identical.

they’re both identical phones. There should be no reason for one to perform worse than the other.
I am not giving any perspective. I made a 100% transparent test which you can reproduce if both phones are under 13.0.
I am not trying to spread any rumor. You are totally wrong and your way of making your comments...
It seems more less that you got the pro and you really don`t like what I tested.

I am not paid by apple to make the standard model feel better and paying less.

I can buy both the pro and the standard. I was only trying to explain in reality what I saw under testing in an Apple store.

The pro model should perform exactly the same as the standard model as they both have 4gb and a13 bionic. If pro needs more ram due to camera or resolution apple Should put more. And yes, they need more ram to make a pro perfomance in that area

the are very fast. We are not talking about speed. We are talking about huge difference in performance found under exactly 4 gb of ram

Also I am not using 15 apps at the same time and then go back to email. It is just an explanation. The thing is during the day you are opening apps individually and then you might take ONE PICTURE and after that (for example) go back to the email you are writting or the photo you are editing and MAGIC, all has gone. It is not speed. Ram fully cleared and work lost. That´s not a pro behaviour in any sense

have a good night and calm your feelings

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Why are people so caught up in this ram thing??

4GB is butter smooth. Performance is phenomenal!

what is wrong with the iPhone 11 Pro having 4GB??

people are so stuck in lol.

Yes, I wanted 6GB of ram too. but for absolutely no particular reason at all!!!

It took me a lot of hard work to push 5GB of utilized ram out of my iPad Pro 1TB. Unrealistic, and difficult circumstances. And it wouldn’t last long.

I think 4GB is enough. And anymore is just not required. Apple could have easily slapped 6GB right on if it needed it. Hell, even my 1TB iPad Pro has 6GB of ram! Apple continued to use 4GB of ram. They have a large market, and I think they know what they’re doing.

I also have the 1tb ipad pro with 6gb of ram and it is beast. Yes

the thing is not if 4gb of ram is enough for phones or other ipad pro models. Maybe it Is ok. not by too much but...

the problem is software behaviour. Is it really normal than in my detailed test pro models reload 90% apps after taking one standard picture? And what is more, is normal that the 11 did not do it.?

good night

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
Never in the history of computing has someone said "it'll be better if I put less RAM in"

The only consideration is "we're already charging people the maximum price we can, and giving them the least storage we can, so the only other place to cut our costs is giving the minimum RAM we can get away with"

No, but more rational people have discovered there is a point of diminishing returns.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
I should have made a video but i couldn`t. Images should have been very revealing For those who think i am trying to depreciate pro models for nothing.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
clear ram activating assistive touch button and then volume up, volume down, click the ball of assistive touch and long press the home virtual button because that is the procedure for fully cleaning ram in iPhones nowadays.
Source?

Reactions: Arndroid

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
I should have made a video but i couldn`t. Images should have been very revealing For those who think i am trying to depreciate pro models for nothing.

I agree with you 100%, in my earlier post, I said it seems when the camera app is launched it clears the Inactive memory and converts it to free memory. If an app stored data there because it was suspended that would cause the app to reload for sure. It is better in iOS 13.1 but it still does this. If someone wants to see what I am talking about they can download the free App called "Usage" and open the camera app.

Reactions: armeca

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I think it's possible to devise tests to make any machine fall over, but I have no idea why anyone can be bothered - unless they're monetising clicks on YouTube & they find it easier than getting a job. That's one thing, and real world day to day usage for any sizeable population of users is quite another.

Whilst understanding that these forums are a useful & valuable 'safe space' for the 1% of the population who could give a damn, and for a further 1% of those folks who care about stuff like this - but sheesh, really?

Not for this thread in particular, but I'm losing faith in humanity this launch season - the nonsense, drama, entitlement and lack of self-awareness and any & all perspective are driving me crazy.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I am not giving any perspective. I made a 100% transparent test which you can reproduce if both phones are under 13.0.
I am not trying to spread any rumor. You are totally wrong and your way of making your comments...
It seems more less that you got the pro and you really don`t like what I tested.

I am not paid by apple to make the standard model feel better and paying less.

I can buy both the pro and the standard. I was only trying to explain in reality what I saw under testing in an Apple store.

The pro model should perform exactly the same as the standard model as they both have 4gb and a13 bionic. If pro needs more ram due to camera or resolution apple Should put more. And yes, they need more ram to make a pro perfomance in that area

the are very fast. We are not talking about speed. We are talking about huge difference in performance found under exactly 4 gb of ram

Also I am not using 15 apps at the same time and then go back to email. It is just an explanation. The thing is during the day you are opening apps individually and then you might take ONE PICTURE and after that (for example) go back to the email you are writting or the photo you are editing and MAGIC, all has gone. It is not speed. Ram fully cleared and work lost. That´s not a pro behaviour in any sense

have a good night and calm your feelings

Read the title of your thread “HUGELY BETTER PERFORMANCE on a iPhone 11.

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019

you can google how to clear ram on iphone x or similar but here it s one
1)enable assistive touch
2) A.- Volume up + volume down `+ power button + press assitive touch button once and then mantain another press under home
B.- go to settings, general, shutdow and then press assistive touch button once and then again mantain another press in home

3) after that ram is fully cleared even if you dont close apps in the switcher. Try with one app there and if you do it ok you will observe apps reload

that is why y clear the ram before starting the “intensive“ test. To be sure both phones were clean in ram

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
I agree with you 100%, in my earlier post, I said it seems when the camera app is launched it clears the Inactive memory and converts it to free memory. If an app stored data there because it was suspended that would cause the app to reload for sure. It is better in iOS 13.1 but it still does this. If someone wants to see what I am talking about they can download the free App called "Usage" and open the camera app.
Even my ipad pro 1tb model with 6gb ram recently update to ipados 13.1 is reloading very few apps that were always in background in ios 12. In this case i clearly know is apple needing to improve software because this beast has its 6gb future proof unit.

But in iphones it is much worse than in ipads. Especially the comparison with the standard 11 is OMG what´s happening here that the cheaper phone performance way better. The thing is not better or worse. All new models should perform the same if all have 4gb and same chip. the differences are in the extra lense and resolution but i think that is not enough to kill all aps in a pro model only because you take one photo.

When i compared it in my test i was so shocked that I had to post it so we could follow improvements in 13.1 and later on

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRealCBONE

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
The people getting the most upset about this are the ones who were never even interested in the phone in the first place. Pretty sad if you ask me.
Not true. I was about to get the pro max and when i saw the problems i told me...wait and see if it is really worth going for a model that it is nos acting as a pro. Yes it has better display and one more camera and better construction.

Is it that worth 579 € difference in Spain between iphone 11 128 gb vs 11 pro 256. With that money you can buy an apple watch cellular.

I dont mind paying extra for the pro if it is trully pro in all aspects but i dont want having a phone that performs in ram department horrible comparable to a cheaper version which has a fenomenal lcd display and one less camera and the same aluminium and glass we like before as premium. I am saying this with an iphone x on hand which struggle a lot in ios 11 with ram and whose battery is pretty bad compare to the others. That´s why i want to change and i dont mind picking whatever model I like but if it performs as I expect. I had terrible experiences in ram with an ipad air 1 and with the x on ios 11 that know i am a bit extra concern of trying hardware and software more intense.

good night to everyone

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
God people on this forum will complain about everything. Who opens every app on the first page of their phone, then takes a photo, then reopens all those apps as a regular way of interacting with their phone?

In regular day to day use the 11 Pro is great. If you’re upset about this stuff, buy an 11, or an Android phone, or just keep the phone you have.
As a professional, I do use multiple apps all the time. Corporate chat app, emails, authentication apps, camera app, note taking app, time management app for my employees, etc. This is marketed as a ‘Pro’ device, right?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Can anyone tell me what model will have better RAM management while skydiving and doing back flips at the same time. I'll running twitter, taking 4K videos, and opening every app. Also I'll be holding by breath so the faster it can do this the better.

The above is a joke but it isn't much further from reality than these silly close every app then repoen then backwards tests. What I want to know is how does it work with actual usage.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If you open exactly 74 apps, type an email to your aunt Gertrude, then quickly Swipe through the apps in alphabetical order, while activating the compass and pressing 800085 on the number pad it’s causes lag. I heard.

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
As a professional, I do use multiple apps all the time. Corporate chat app, emails, authentication apps, camera app, note taking app, time management app for my employees, etc. This is marketed as a ‘Pro’ device, right?

So you open every app on the front page of your phone and then take pictures while all of them are open? That’s pro use to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.