Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
On iPhones, you don’t even have true multitasking so it shouldn’t be a big deal

4GB multitasks fine on the iPad pros on iPadOS so I’m not sure why people run into such crazy app reloading

My iPhone X with 3gb ram is doing fine with that, and it’s running a bunch of tweaks in the background

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014

It looks a whole lot like your safari had to reload the page at the end and you lost your place. Oops

Btw I'd be interested in the same test with apps that actually use ram like spotify, youtube, maps, safari, podcasts, videos. Actually use the apps instead of opening just the splash screen, pause them and then see how the test goes. Unless you think its unrealistic that you would ever pause any of those programs and then go back to them later on in the day....

Any phone that starts at 1000 minimum should keep whatever you're using exactly where you left it. Even the next day. Here's an example for you.

Last edited:

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Yeah. If RAM was as huge an issue as people are making it out to be, the XR wouldn't have been the popular choice of last generation.

XR was running a 720p screen and a single camera. Putting just 1GB more RAM into a "Pro" phone was a joke.

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
XR was running a 720p screen and a single camera. Putting just 1GB more RAM into a "Pro" phone was a joke.
XR is 1792x828. The 11 has the same resolution.
An additional 12MP camera also isn't going to be causing these issues. There have been phones with more demanding camera systems and less RAM, with operating systems that used RAM similarly, without issue. Most notably the Lumia 1020's 41MP system.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...Any phone that starts at 1000 minimum should keep whatever you're using exactly where you left it. Even the next day. Here's an example for you.

Any phone that starts at 1,000 should have 5 years of updates and the manufacturer should have multiple retail locations dedicated to support also. Since were making things up.

Reactions: aFlockaCgulz

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
XR is 1792x828. The 11 has the same resolution.
An additional 12MP camera also isn't going to be causing these issues. There have been phones with more demanding camera systems and less RAM, with operating systems that used RAM similarly, without issue. Most notably the Lumia 1020's 41MP system.

Then put it down to Apple's inefficient OS and poor RAM management, because tests show your previous apps get wiped out when entering the camera app.

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
Then put it down to Apple's inefficient OS and poor RAM management, because tests show your previous apps get wiped out when entering the camera app.
iOS is the most RAM efficient OS still on the market, with the only comparable alternatives being Widnows Phone and Ubuntu Touch, neither of which were on feature parity with iOS. Android, on the other hand, needs 6-12GB of RAM because of how Android itself wastes RAM and how Google's app framework is crap.
And tests show that on iOS 13.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
iOS is the most RAM efficient OS still on the market, with the only comparable alternatives being Widnows Phone and Ubuntu Touch, neither of which were on feature parity with iOS. Android, on the other hand, needs 6-12GB of RAM because of how Android itself wastes RAM and how Google's app framework is crap.
And tests show that on iOS 13.

Android is a genuine OS not a stripped-down Apple subscription delivery mechanism.

Android uses RAM to deliver true multitasking such as split screen and widgets.

iOS is the same grid of uninformative static icons it was 12 years ago. Only now with iPadOS is Apple learning how to support some restricted widgets in restricted locations with restricted functionality.

iOS RAM management is a fraud. It constantly closes your apps and hopes you don't notice so long as it shows you a screenshot of the last open state.

armeca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Thank
Thank you.

I wrote before this:

FINAL THOUGHTS. Coming right now of an apple store, an fnac and mediamarkt store.
Non sense. I tried again the test in phones running under ios 13.0 and under 13.1

1) The most strange thing. Some phones running under ios 13.0 had that terrible performance (fnac ones). Others like on mediamarkt perform very well. Maybe it´s due to preloaded apps in some carriers or some shops.

2) Ios 13.1 improve performance in both iphone 11 and 11 pro. Now it´s ok in both even though the standard model is slightly quicker in animations due to having less pixel to push but the difference is nothing to take care of.

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Any phone that starts at 1,000 should have 5 years of updates and the manufacturer should have multiple retail locations dedicated to support also. Since were making things up.

I mean use your screen recorder and show me I'm making things up then. I'm sure you have all the same apps I have. Talk is cheap

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I mean use your screen recorder and show me I'm making things up then. I'm sure you have all the same apps I have. Talk is cheap
Talk is free here, show me a Samsung device with 5 guaranteed years of support. I don’t need to prove that with my usage Youtube doesn’t reload In 24 hours. I’d rather have the support than worry about a reloaded app here and there, especially since I dont serially open apps as my daily use case.
[automerge]1569587828[/automerge]
Android is a genuine OS not a stripped-down Apple subscription delivery mechanism.

iOS is the same grid of uninformative static icons it was 12 years ago. Only now with iPadOS is Apple learning how to support some restricted widgets in restricted locations with restricted functionality.

iOS RAM management is a fraud. It constantly closes your apps and hopes you don't notice so long as it shows you a screenshot of the last open state.
And, unfortunately for android iOS performance seems more constant by the forum responses even though some complain.

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Talk is free here, show me a Samsung device with 5 guaranteed years of support. I don’t need to prove that with my usage Youtube doesn’t reload In 24 hours. I’d rather have the support than worry about a reloaded app here and there, especially since I dont serially open apps as my daily use case.
[automerge]1569587828[/automerge]

And, unfortunately for android iOS performance seems more constant by the forum responses even though some complain.

Ah yes changing the subject. I guess your screen recorder is broken? Maybe its just refreshing lol. It's ok to admit that 4 gigs of ram in a "pro" device leads to a ****** experience. Imagine the most expensive phone on the market can't even keep your place.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
There’s nothing pro about the new iPhones honestly. More ram, a higher refresh rate would have made it pro imo. With that being said I love my iPhone 11

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
It looks a whole lot like your safari had to reload the page at the end and you lost your place. Oops

Btw I'd be interested in the same test with apps that actually use ram like spotify, youtube, maps, safari, podcasts, videos. Actually use the apps instead of opening just the splash screen, pause them and then see how the test goes. Unless you think its unrealistic that you would ever pause any of those programs and then go back to them later on in the day....

Any phone that starts at 1000 minimum should keep whatever you're using exactly where you left it. Even the next day. Here's an example for you.

SAFARI WASNT OPEN! That was a first launch. I even scroll through all open apps in multitasking. And Safari wasn’t one of them. Watch the video again.

oops.

Last edited:

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
SAFARI WASNT OPEN! That was a first launch. I even scroll through all open apps in multitasking. And Safari wasn’t one of them. Watch the video again.

oops.

Lol sure it was bud. So do the same test with multiple safari tabs, spotify, youtube, maps, videos. No one gives a crap that you can open apps to the splash screen. Actually use them.

Upload another video and show me how great this pro phone is

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019

1. What constitutes a genuine OS in your world? It doesn’t match up with any actual definitions, nor is the reasoning as to why iOS isn’t an OS exclusive to iOS.
  2. Android’s multitasking, IGNORING Samsung Dex and x86 derivatives, is on the same level of the iPad Pros, which has no problem with 4GB. Dex makes good use of RAM if you’re using your phone/tablet as a full on desktop replacement, which is a niche within a niche.
  3. iOS has widgets on their own screen. But that’s also irrelevant, the vast majority of users know how notifications work and don’t stare at their home screen.
  4. Killing off inactive apps that had nothing going on, paging apps that did, is a better alternative to just having a bunch of apps wasting RAM. Which in turn makes the device require more RAM, increasing cost and eating the device’s power budget.

Reactions: I7guy

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Lol sure it was bud. So do the same test with multiple safari tabs, spotify, youtube, maps, videos. No one gives a crap that you can open apps to the splash screen. Actually use them.

I only made this video exactly as the original poster described how to test it. Safari was NOT open. It was closed out completely, and you can clearly see that in the multitasking view.

I will make another video. But I do not have or even use Spotify.

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
This is an extreme test but it shows how maybe just 2 more Gb of Ram would help, I really hope they do that for the 2020 iPhones:

Reactions: Khedron

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I think you're missing the point. Time doesn't "add up". No one gets an extra few hours or days back at the end of the year because they had a more efficient phone. You can't even use those 15 seconds you saved today and enjoy them this evening. Time doesn't work that way. You can measure the amount of time lost, but you can't really reclaim it or use it in any meaningful way. So, in my opinion, the whole "it really adds up over time" argument is completely pointless and misleading. Unless one is interested in useless statistics, like how much of our lives we spend in the bathroom.
No, I'm not missing the point. If I have to look at my phone even a little bit longer every time I go to check my email, etc., that's a little bit of time I'm looking at a screen instead of, say, interacting with my wife or kids. Whether I can put that time back together in chunks or not is irrelevant.
btw, I do know how time works, I have been experiencing it since I was born.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
No, I'm not missing the point. If I have to look at my phone even a little bit longer every time I go to check my email, etc., that's a little bit of time I'm looking at a screen instead of, say, interacting with my wife or kids. Whether I can put that time back together in chunks or not is irrelevant.
btw, I do know how time works, I have been experiencing it since I was born.

Well, here's to hoping that you experience fewer reloads. I'm sure your family really treasures those extra fractions of a second here and there throughout their day.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008

I don’t understand why this seems to be such a personal thing to you.

Most people don’t notice and/or don’t care.

If it’s such a problem, get the tool that does what you want it to do.
[automerge]1569607541[/automerge]
I only made this video exactly as the original poster described how to test it. Safari was NOT open. It was closed out completely, and you can clearly see that in the multitasking view.

I will make another video. But I do not have or even use Spotify.
Well how can you claim to be a pro without such things as Spotify or YouTube?

/s in case it wasn’t obvious

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.