Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Why is it so difficult for some people to accept that Apple is no longer as innovative as before? It’s just a company which obviously has up and down. It’s veerry normal. Also, Apple won’t give any credits or award for them.
I would just accept it. If its product is still beneficial for me and affordable for me, I will buy it. Otherwise, or if there is better alternative, I will buy the other instead. Simple.
Not one person has said what they want from a phone these days. Every time I ask I just hear crickets. So what exactly are you expecting from a phone that is innovative? USB-C? Not innovative, just a different port big deal. Foldable? Not innovative, Nintendo DS did this YEARS and YEARS ago, just improvements on that technology 10+ years.

What exactly are people expecting phones to do these days? Turn into a car?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Not one person has said what they want from a phone these days. Every time I ask I just hear crickets. So what exactly are you expecting from a phone that is innovative? USB-C? Not innovative, just a different port big deal. Foldable? Not innovative, Nintendo DS did this YEARS and YEARS ago, just improvements on that technology 10+ years.

usb c is pretty cool. I have many usb c dongles that I normally use on my mac but can also use on my iPad such as hdmi and usb to attach a keyboard / mouse combo, etc.

If only looking at it from the charging perspective it’s maybe not a big deal.

It’s also about consistent connections. Even my clippers charge with usb c at this point.

That said. If the phone had a speaker system like the iPad Pro. They would be a welcomed change

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013

I’ll take a shot:

- slimmer, lighter build with no camera bulge
- screens that never break, crack or scratch
- a clean, uninterrupted screen with no notches or cutouts
- genuine professional grade camera capabilities (optics/science still prevents this)
- user upgradable internals
- better than ”all day” battery life (+ user-friendly battery replacement)

Realistic? Probably not (for various reasons pertaining to economics and/or physics.) But they all represent genuine quality of life innovations that would meaningfully improve the smartphone experience.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
Bless your heart. 😂

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I’ll take a shot:

- genuine professional grade camera capabilities (optics/science still prevents this)

Realistic? Probably not (for various reasons pertaining to economics and/or physics.) But they all represent genuine quality of life innovations that would meaningfully improve the smartphone experience.
So you want a thinner lighter phone, but with completely replaceable and upgradable components and more than all day battery life.
You want the phone to get slimmer and completely remove the camera bump, but have a genuine professional grade camera.
You want screens that never break, crack or scratch.
Sorry to inform you, Tony Stark isn’t real. He’s a made up character.
But also, a lot of these arguably already exist.
There are plenty of people around the world who use the iPhone as a professional grade camera. There are plenty of people who run their entire careers off of the iPhone and its camera.
There are plenty of people who have the 11 pro max, 12 pro max, 13 pro max and soon the 14+ and pro max who can force that battery to last way longer than a day.
I’ve heard of people getting 3 to 4 days off of one charge.
So these things that you’re listing are either completely impossible, or already exist

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Oh my goodness this would ease a lot of tension from someone who's super OCD with applying screen protectors and just recently on my 13 Mini but my first go was perfect.

Imagine all the loss of income from screen protector companies, they would practically go extinct. But at the same time good for the environment and this planet...

...oh yeah and good for Apple's pockets too! Can't forget that!

Reactions: johnnylarue

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
So you want a thinner lighter phone, but with completely replaceable and upgradable components and more than all day battery life.
You want the phone to get slimmer and completely remove the camera bump, but have a genuine professional grade camera.
You want screens that never break, crack or scratch.
Sorry to inform you, Tony Stark isn’t real. He’s a made up character.
But also, a lot of these arguably already exist.
There are plenty of people around the world who use the iPhone as a professional grade camera. There are plenty of people who run their entire careers off of the iPhone and its camera.
There are plenty of people who have the 11 pro max, 12 pro max, 13 pro max and soon the 14+ and pro max who can force that battery to last way longer than a day.
I’ve heard of people getting 3 to 4 days off of one charge.
So these things that you’re listing are either completely impossible, or already exist
The question asked was, “What exactly are you expecting from a phone that is innovative?”

Those are all innovations I’d love to see in a phone. I included a disclaimer that many of these features aren’t realistic due to laws of economics and/or physics… Nonetheless, I consider them game-changing innovations I’d love to see in a phone, more than, say, a cosmetic software workaround for an unavoidable unsightly cutout.

To your other points:

- Has anyone ever sold a pic they shot on an iPhone? Absolutely. Has anyone ever made a film on an iPhone? Hell yes, a decent one, too. Is there a professional photographer, videographer or filmmaker out there who is currently plying their trade using only an iPhone? My guess is a big fat no, but I’m open to being proven wrong. iPhones make good emergency backup devices in a pinch, but I don’t see producers lining up to hire DOPs who specialize in shooting on smartphones. They’re getting better, but we’re not there yet.

- Who’s Tony Stark?

- Is forcing a charge to last 3-4 days (by essentially not using your phone) the same as having better than “all day battery life”? No, they’re just spreading a day’s charge out over 3-4 days.

Anyway, I’m glad I stopped short of suggesting that I wanted a phone that projected three dimensional holograms. That would be cool too, but I was trying not to be greedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: three

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2017
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
$1,100 CAD for the base spec iPhone 14 and it only has a 60Hz display. Whereas Google will sell you a Pixel 6A with a 60hz display for $600 CAD.

While I get that the iPhone 14 will be a better phone overall compared with the 6A, it's not $500 CAD better.

Sorry Tim, but this is a hard pass for me.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I’ll take a shot:

None of that is really innovative. Just general improvements. The whole “Apple hasn’t been innovating” crowd needs to say what “innovations” from a phone these days is needed. Better battery? Not innovation, just improving.

The most common response I have seen is foldable phones. But that’s not really innovation either. Nintendo did this decades ago with the original Nintendo DS.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
None of that is really innovative. Just general improvements. The whole “Apple hasn’t been innovating” crowd needs to say what “innovations” from a phone these days is needed. Better battery? Not innovation, just improving.

The most common response I have seen is foldable phones. But that’s not really innovation either. Nintendo did this decades ago with the original Nintendo DS.
I think we’re getting into semantics here a bit. It’s true that “slimmer and lighter” doesn’t sound like an innovation, but there are dozens of engineering innovations that would need to happen in order for this to be possible and it’s a valuable goal. I’ve had my 12 Pro since release day and I still actively resent how heavy it is, how awkward it is to fit into pants pockets, etc. It’s not pleasant to hold for long periods of time, the balance is a bit weird, ergonomics are off. I feel like the iPhone is in a rut and the wrong design values are constantly being catered to.

People like to harp on 120Hz refresh rates as 48mp cameras as though they’re factors that make a tangible difference to the experience of using a phone. They do—for about 15 minutes until your eyes adjust to “ProMotion”, or on the rare occasion that you need to aggressively crop a photo that you *hopefully* remembered to shoot in RAW…

I’ll take a phone that isn’t actively trying to pull my shorts down over those two features any day. Bonus if it doesn’t need to be encased in 5mm of silicone to survive a drop on pavement, and super special bonus if there isn’t an awkwardly placed black void in the active viewing area that needs to be disguised and sold as a UI element. Incidentally, they really should have saved the edge-to-edge screen gimmick for when they’d figured out to actually do it, rather than faking it with notches and Morphing Pills. (The idea that these compromises are somehow better than keeping the selfie camera/face ID/speaker separate from the screen entirely is just mind boggling to me.)

But I digress. 😂

Reactions: janeauburn

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Another reason to just say no: The idiotic "island." Like we needed another way to pause music? Or we wanted to be distracted by background tasks? Or it's important to anyone on this earth to see a little graphic that "pulses" to background music? My first thought: Can you turn that stupid thing off?

For crying out loud, talk about doubling down on dumb...

And then to simultaneously remove from the lineup a phone that people can actually carry and hold comfortably...well, Steve Jobs has definitely left the building.

The SE is apparently Apple's last flirtation with sanity. I'd grab one while you still can.

Last edited:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I’ll take a shot:

Amen. Once in a while I actually see someone in public with one of these new, super-sized (and super heavy) phones, and I feel only pity for them. And by the way, no one in my office carries these things! If you're a man, you can't fit them comfortably in your pants, so how do you carry them? You don't. If you're a woman, you can carry them in your purse, but the square-edged, heavy phones are still uncomfortable to hold, and the largest ones feel unbalanced.

Apple has seemingly abandoned the real-world market and is focusing on--what?--professional movie producers? Ridiculous.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Amen. Once in a while I actually see someone in public with one of these new, super-sized (and super heavy) phones, and I feel only pity for them. And by the way, no one in my office carries these things! If you're a man, you can't fit them comfortably in your pants, so how do you carry them? You don't. If you're a woman, you can carry them in your purse, but the square-edged, heavy phones are still uncomfortable to hold, and the largest ones feel unbalanced.

Apple has seemingly abandoned the real-world market and is focusing on--what?--professional movie producers? Ridiculous.

I am using regular size 11, thought about getting regular 14Max but seem like it is not that practical as you say for both man and woman for different reason. My hand is not big and should have hard time control by one hand too.

Reactions: janeauburn

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014

I've fit a XS Max in my front pocket for the last 4 years. No idea what you're on about but happy for you that you're getting the attention you seem to crave by putting up a post that tells other people how they should spend their money.

Reactions: darkpaw

dangegland

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2015
I’m leaning toward ‘no’ again this year, and I’m on an iPhone X; the only niggle is the camera.

The two year replacement cycle is a myth. This phone is now 5 year old tech, but, like the macbook line, it lasts.

So let’s not chastise Apple for releasing another phone, which it is well within its right to do.

It’s completely up to you if you upgrade. Ultimately Apple make it as easy for us to not upgrade (due to longevity) as much as they make it easy to upgrade through new releases.

Do what is best for you.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Apple does an extremely good job at making you believe you need their products and need to upgrade them every year. They do it well and that's why they are so profitable. I love the annual upgraders, they help my portfolio grow.

Personally for me, I've bowed out the annual upgrade rat race. I realized a long time ago that the iOS experience on all iPhones are the same. The only difference year to year is the outer shell case is slightly changed, and even then most people cover it up with the same phone case. So you're essentially using the same phone just with a lighter wallet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.