Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
Apple already has one. You pay monthly for a new iPhone (interest free) and get a new iPhone each year. The price you pay is based on a 2 year purchase, so it’s actually cheaper than buying a new iPhone when you factor inflation into the mix. As long as you know you’ll have a guaranteed income, it’s a great option.
Is that available outta the US? I knew about that but I am in Europe so even if I wanted to I think I couldn't access it. What I read what something about a higher tier of Apple One, with the iPhone, One and Care all bundled and also with the chance to change phones every year

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
I have recorded spatial video from the iPhone15 for the Vision Pro. Quality is good. I have also recorded spatial video from the Vision Pro itself. The video from the Vision Pro is not as good as the one from the iphone15. The iPhone16 should have 4k recording at 120 for spatial video. It is easier to make a video that is smooth and lacks jerkiness on the iPhone than on the Vision Pro.

spar7y

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
My primary reason will be wanting to upgrade to USB-C once the phone is my last lightning device - after accessories like keyboard, AirPods Pro (looking at you, AirPods Max…)

Reactions: Someyoungguy

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
“With many users adopting two-year upgrade cycles, plenty of iPhone 14 Pro owners will be looking to upgrade to the iPhone 16 Pro later this year…”

I stopped doing this nonsense many years ago, after doing yearly upgrade cycles. Wife, and I, upgraded from the iPhone 8 Plus, to the 14 Pro Max. We expect to use these phones for a few years. Even the two year “upgrades” aren't impactful enough anymore.
Totally agree.
There’s almost no sense to upgrade every 2nd year.
I usually do a 4 year upgrade cycle mainly because that’s when the battery dies.

Unless you have specific use-case and need for cameras, frequent upgrades are money thrown away.

Glad to see someone with common sense around.
I went 4s - 7plus, 7plus to 11Pro Max, and 11Pro Max to 14 (last one because battery reached 81% before trade in)

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
Totally agree.
There’s almost no sense to upgrade every 2nd year.
I usually do a 4 year upgrade cycle mainly because that’s when the battery dies.

Unless you have specific use-case and need for cameras, frequent upgrades are money thrown away.

Glad to see someone with common sense around.
I went 4s - 7plus, 7plus to 11Pro Max, and 11Pro Max to 14 (last one because battery reached 81% before trade in)

I disagree it’s not just about the cameras or features. Don’t forget about the financial incentive to get out of your phone and into a new one for $1000 to $1200 off depending on the promotion.

If I could do with a 256gb 15 pro max, I’d be in for the price of Apple care, the taxes and a case.

• Disagree
Reactions: oldwatery

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly, I wouldn't even be looking to upgrade my 14 Pro if it weren't for a cracked lower right corner of the screen. While it was in a case, and that case was in another case on my bike, it was not enough to prevent some damage from a bicycle accident last year. It did better than me though. ;) I'm fine but it took some stitches and a few weeks of road rash healing. We both have scars now. LOL
Glad you're okay. I still have some damage from a bicycle accident when I was a kid.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
I used to be on the every-year upgrade cycle, but made the decision a couple of years ago to skip odd years and only upgrade half as frequently. This strategy more than offsets the increasing costs of new iPhones and, if I'm being completely honest, my 14 Pro Max is still a great phone. That said, this excellent comparison perfectly applies to my situation - thanks!

Past: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, X, 11, 12, 14
Future: 16

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I disagree it’s not just about the cameras or features. Don’t forget about the financial incentive to get out of your phone and into a new one for $1000 to $1200 off depending on the promotion.

If I could do with a 256gb 15 pro max, I’d be in for the price of Apple care, the taxes and a case.
Maybe in US you get that much back.
not in Europe.
The difference between 1 or 2 generations is around 200 EUR.

I end up paying more if I do yearly upgrades - a LOT more.

Reactions: arkitect

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
Come on ... there definitely were more boring iPhone updates in the past than this one, especially if the new AI turns out to be true.
Oh in terms of software in going it’s the next “iOS 7”, new GUI, AI everywhere, etc. from a phone point of view, better cameras don’t interest me, what I have now is more than plenty.
USB-C (since 14 is lighting), is nice but not a deal breaker, the quick action button is also nice but not a dealbreaker.

I have no doubt they can come up with new hardware changes, but those are “boring”, the software is what’s make it magic. Now, how much of the software will be restricted to the next phone, we shall see.

I have been proven wrong before, I’m just not putting my hopes up this time around.

stingazg

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2022
Southern California
I am looking forward to this upgrade, this will be my first full return to the Apple 2-year cycle since back when I had an iPhone 4s to iPhone 6s before my Samsung Phase (which I did also mostly followed the 2-year upgrade cycle S8-S10-S21-S22-Flip4-S22), so I look forward to comparing the changes between my 14 ProMax and the new 16 Pro Max.

The only thing I'm kinda upset about is missing out on that Blue Titanium ColorWay from the 15 Pro line.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Well...I'll see come Sept.
Personally I haven't had a huge reason to upgrade my 13 Pro Max. Sure, the cameras are better I guess in 14PM, 15PM...the shots I get using RAW are perfectly fine for me on this older device.

Using Blackmagic Cam app along with Filmic Legacy, I can also achieve the ProRes video on this...not often since its such a massive file. But it works.

mzubb

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
I'm really annoyed that they're getting bigger. My 13 Pro is already uncomfortably large in jeans pockets. I miss my 5.8" 11 Pro, that was perfect.
I regret upgrading my 11pro to 14pro, even though it was a (almost) free upgrade. The 14pro camera bump and overall thickness and weight is a disappointment. I feels bulkier than I expected.

fp99

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2021
Tempting...but maybe 1 more year on the 13 Pro....gotta get the most out of all the accessories. 😂

Bungleaio

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
UK
My 13pro is the phone that I've had for longer than any other, the jump to the 14 and 15 didn't seem worth the investment. Looking forward to the 16pro though

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I’m the curmudgeon on this. They will likely introduce nothing that will be of any real interest to the vast majority of users. More likely a bunch of pointless features hardly anyone will use. Add in that many people can barely use the basic functions they already have.

Making calls, email, messaging, camera, storing photos, access internet, maybe some games, shopping and maybe banking apps, some music playing and maybe airdrop. For many if not most the rest is unnecessary complication—a million things they will never use.
Yeah - I'm gonna get it simply for the better cameras. Otherwise, you're right - I read email, send texts, get directions and if I don't have my iPad available, will surf the net.

Reactions: Razorpit

Jgboys1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
This is my cue to jump for the 16 pro max from my 14 pro
I can't wait!
Same here. I have the 14 Pro Max and I am telling myself to hold out until the 17 but I don't know.
I guess I will see how my 14 Pro Max is doing when the 16 Pro Max comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.