Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outletman

Suspended
Nov 24, 2014
I see that G.D. Smith has a Ice Max 3D and something called 3D curved full screen with explosion proof edge carbon fibre on amazon.

Anyone know the differences? I'm considering buying one of each to check it out.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I see that G.D. Smith has a Ice Max 3D and something called 3D curved full screen with explosion proof edge carbon fibre on amazon.

Anyone know the differences? I'm considering buying one of each to check it out.
Similar to the CHOETECH version. That verbiage made me laugh.

Onsight72

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
Did you put the protector on with your case on. Or you had the case off? Also was using the tape to make a hinge easy to do?

I took my case off. And I found the tape hinge helpful to keep the protector aligned while getting any residual dust off the screen prior to applying it.

ldpg

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
New York, NY
Does anyone have any experience with/knowledge about either GPEL or Kanex brands? It seems they just released various tempered glass models for ip7 and 7+ (regular tempered glass screen, e2e and 3d curved). Would like more info before I spend the $ :)

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Well I found out that you shouldn't use the steamy bathroom method for installing glass protectors.

Put one on Tuesday when I received my 7 Plus. The protector condensated as I was applying so I have been waiting for a slight haze it had to dry out.

It didn't really clear so as i bought a two pack I decided to take it off and apply the other.
When I got it off the haze must have been the adhesive effected by the dampness as it wouldn't clean off.

So, did the other outside hoping the absence of household dust in the air would aid a clean install.
It did, went on perfect with one tiny, tiny speck of dust on the bottom right of the bezel, only visible in certain lighting.

Yay.
I have used this method on at least five different glass installs and never had this issue. It might just be that brand protector. I usually turn off the hot water when the mirror starts to slightly fog though. Did you let it get more steamy than that?

Reactions: Pug72

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
It wasn't overly steamy.
I think the problem was condensation forming on the underside of the screen protector, maybe if it was warmed up slightly first it wouldn't have happened.

The screen was damp when I removed it so the adhesive was probably still wet. Might have dried out eventually but was too impatient to find out.

Thanks for sharing your experience though, now I know doing it in a steamy room is still the way to to.

ISFPOWER

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2014
guys help me. should i get the anker or sparin edge to edge for my 7 plus? dont intend on replacing it for awhile.

also, if i have the matte black iphone7 plus, I'm guessing i get the "black" color edge to edge screen protector? I'm not sure if people are getting clear or black for their black phones. i can't tell from the pics. i want the best and most sleek look.

thank you.

javi952

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Dale City, VA
I am looking for a temper glass screen protector for my iPhone 7+. any recommendation? I been looking everywhere and I can't seem to find one with good review.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Are there edge to edge protectors that are completely clear? As in they don't have black around the edges?

Reactions: darrinS

Stinsle

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Minnesota
Does yours have a big cutout above the earpiece or is the earpiece but out like a hole? Seems I may have gotten something else today when I picked it up.

There is a cutout for the earpiece, and a little notch above for what I think is the light sensor. There is also a small hole for the camera.

deletion08

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
got the turata from amazon def not full 3d but it doesnt bubble up with the case at all

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    679.1 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    734.6 KB · Views: 340

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal

I'm curious too. They also have a version called Ice Core 2.5 D. From what I can tell, the carbon fiber one isn't all glass. Only the screen part is glass. Two materials. The ice max is all glass. And the ice core is all glass and super thin but only 2.5D. Anyone with past experience with these? I think the ice max or ice core.

gsingham

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
f you go to the Apple Store to have them install the Belkin one for 7+, what do i have to look for to make sure I get the right one versus the self install one?

belkin has created a mess of the whole situation.

Here in Australia we have 3 clear screen protectors for the plus

The ones apple sell are the 0.21mm invisglass which they have for self-install or device applied. The screen protector is awesome in terms of clarity but it does have a gap on both sides so doesn't cover the screen completely and you get a reflective rainbow effect from both sides and there have been returns.

On their website they say its made from corning glass or whatever but on the packaging theres no mention of that. Are they the same product? No one knows.

The other 2 you can buy from accessories shops and are cheaper but thicker too. The glass is 0.31 and the other one is plastic. I'm not sure if these 2 others cover the screen completely or if its the same and there are gaps on both sides still.

jmfangio

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
NorCal
My experiences looking for an E2E for my 7+:

1. Turata--3D, best fit and finish but the 1st one I got did not adhere to the entire left side of the screen.

2. JOTO--2D, not quite E2E but good fit and adhered well.

3. Choetech--Crap. 2 types of materials (bezel different from glass) and had a weird tint.

4. Turata #2--Ordered another one thinking maybe the 1st one didn't adhere fully because I hadn't cleaned the glass properly. Cleaned fully this time and got perfect adhesion. Great product for the price. What a relief.

5. Sparin due tomorrow and I'll check it out but I am happy with the Turata so far.sam

Photo of 2nd Turata:

IMG_1320.jpg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

1. Turata--3D, best fit and finish but the 1st one I got did not adhere to the entire left side of the screen.

3. Choetech--Crap. 2 types of materials (bezel different from glass) and had a weird tint.

4. Turata #2--Ordered another one thinking maybe the 1st one didn't adhere fully because I hadn't cleaned the glass properly. Cleaned fully this time and got perfect adhesion. Great product for the price. What a relief.

5. Sparin due tomorrow and I'll check it out but I am happy with the Turata so far.sam

Photo of 2nd Turata:

View attachment 657503
Awesome synopsis. Thanks for trying them all out!

I HATE the way the Turata's cut-outs for the sensors look though. Having one long oval instead of individual holes looks ugly and cheap.

Last edited:

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal

Photo of 2nd Turata:

View attachment 657503
Is the earpiece opening on Turata correct on the 7+? Because the description says it's for the 7+ and 6+, but the opening needs to be larger on the 7+.

jmfangio

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
NorCal
Awesome synopsis. Thanks for trying them all out!

I HATE the way the Turata's cut-outs for the sensors look though. Having one long oval instead of individual holes looks ugly and cheap.
Funny, I hadn't noticed the big cutout until I took photos for here. Have to disagree about the ugly and cheap. The only one of these I have looked at that deserves that sort of language IMHO is the Choetech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.