Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I just got my Kyasi 3D Glass Protector and was super excited, only to find disappointment as soon as I saw it. There are separate cutout holes for the sensors, which I like.

The top edges are curved, but that's it. As you can see in the picture, it's completely flat on the bottom. Like the majority of other so-called 3D glass protectors, the bottom does not curve down and contour with the edges of the iPhone's curved edges.

Not only that, but the edges do not contain any adhesive (which really pisses me off). There's only adhesive on the flat surface as you can see in there picture.

I don't have my 7 Plus yet to apply and compare with Krick's screenshots of the Ozly from here: #625

However, I have a feeling it's going to be exactly like the G.D. Smith, with the edges "hanging" loose, allowing dust and lint to easily get trapped underneath.

I hope someone who ordered the Ozly and will receive it soon will post a screenshot of the side edges before applying it on the phone so I can do a comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 220

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Can you post some pics? I've got orzly coming in 2 weeks
Don't be so lazy and try the search function. It's amazing what you'll find:

[doublepost=1476444023][/doublepost]
I will buy my iPhone 7 plus tonight. So I also want to know which you all would choose the protector for your iPhone?
Today I search for the iPhone 7 Plus screen cover and find a brand is good and have a plan to pre-order it.
What do you all think?
Thank you
Yeah, I got it the first time. Listen, several folks have been participating in this thread for weeks. If your time is more precious than ours or you're incspable of using the search function, that's not on me.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
However, I have a feeling it's going to be exactly like the G.D. Smith, with the edges "hanging" loose, allowing dust and lint to easily get trapped underneath.
Still waiting on my GD Smith to arrive but I just received this email from them so I'm guessing that's probably the case with their 3D protector as well.
Thanks for your purchase.

My dear friend, we're so sorry for this issue.

This 3D tempered glass is adopt the different technology, which lead to the curved not as same as the iphone 6/6s.
Because the display screen is wider which show the cuved is not curved as 6/6s.

For this situation, if you have any concerns about our item or installation, please feel free to let me know.

I will buy my iPhone 7 plus tonight. So I also want to know which you all would choose the protector for your iPhone?
There's a reason why this thread is currently 32 pages long. If there was one protector that we all deemed as clearly the best then we wouldn't still have this much discussion on the different options. We'd all just say "Buy X" and be done with it. Read about the pros and cons with the current set of options out there and pick your poison based on your priorities.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
There's a reason why this thread is currently 32 pages long. If there was one protector that we all deemed as clearly the best then we wouldn't still have this much discussion on the different options. We'd all just say "Buy X" and be done with it. Read about the pros and cons with the current set of options out there and pick your poison based on your priorities.

Which is why I'm trying to get folks to post back their positive experiences in this polled thread, so it's easier to track our group experiences.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vote-for-your-edge-to-edge-glass-screen-protector.2005042/

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
So, I have used the Jellycomb and the GD 3d Ice Max.
Jellycomb was very thin. The edges were plastic and did curve very well. It was super thin around the home button. However, the black plastic did not quite match the phone glass in certain light. there is a noticeable transition from the glass to the plastic colored part. The coating on the glass wasn't terrific, but not horrible. It is now saved for backup.
The Ice Max, as others have stated isn't quite perfect 3D. There appears to be a slight curve, but not much. There is a gap. It is thicker around the home button. The glass coating is about perfect. Very slick and very few fingerprints. I am using it for now as it works well with my Ringke SLIM case. I will likely keep it until I inevitability crack it, or something much better comes along.

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
The Orzly I received today is a little better than the Godosmith, but not by much.

The glass and oleophobic coating on the Ice Max 3D is second only to Apple's OEM glass. The Orzly is worse. The Orzly also appears to have a defect in the glass that makes it look like there's a chip in it.

The cutouts and edges are nearly perfect on the Orzly.

Still nothing compared to the *perfect* iPhone 6/6s Ice Max 3D.
[doublepost=1476418042][/doublepost]Also, the Orzly does not round the edges around the home button cutout. Very annoying.

Also also, the Orzly glass texture is more gritty than smooth like the Ice Max 3D.
Yikes - this makes me nervous about mine arriving today. Other people seemed to like the Orzly a LOT??!
[doublepost=1476453593][/doublepost]
I just got my Kyasi 3D Glass Protector and was super excited, only to find disappointment as soon as I saw it. There are separate cutout holes for the sensors, which I like.

The top edges are curved, but that's it. As you can see in the picture, it's completely flat on the bottom. Like the majority of other so-called 3D glass protectors, the bottom does not curve down and contour with the edges of the iPhone's curved edges.

Not only that, but the edges do not contain any adhesive (which really pisses me off). There's only adhesive on the flat surface as you can see in there picture.

I don't have my 7 Plus yet to apply and compare with Krick's screenshots of the Ozly from here: #625

I hope someone who ordered the Ozly and will receive it soon will post a screenshot of the side edges before applying it on the phone so I can do a comparison.

That curve is MUCH more curved than the G.D. Smith. That had the weirdest edge I've ever seen! It barely lays flat against the phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 206

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
So, I have used the Jellycomb and the GD 3d Ice Max.
Jellycomb was very thin. The edges were plastic and did curve very well. It was super thin around the home button. However, the black plastic did not quite match the phone glass in certain light. there is a noticeable transition from the glass to the plastic colored part. The coating on the glass wasn't terrific, but not horrible. It is now saved for backup.
The Ice Max, as others have stated isn't quite perfect 3D. There appears to be a slight curve, but not much. There is a gap. It is thicker around the home button. The glass coating is about perfect. Very slick and very few fingerprints. I am using it for now as it works well with my Ringke SLIM case. I will likely keep it until I inevitability crack it, or something much better comes along.

I went from the thin veil of Jelly Comb to the more solid G-Color and haven't looked back!

dasbill

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
I bought the orzly and also got a free amfilm. The amfilm did not have adhesive by The speaker and the front facing camera was completely covered with dust. Emailed them and they are sending another. The orzly is really good. Works with the apple battery case and silicone case really well. There is very little screen on the outside visible. Only issue is with the black part covering the lit part of the screen. The amfilm had the same issue. Only causes problems reading on a few websites like bgr. Haven't found any other sites catering a problem. Gonna email them and ask about the problem. Sorry no pics. No camera also.

outletman

Suspended
Nov 24, 2014
Hi All,

Sharing my thoughts on the new G.D.Smith protectors.

I bought two different ones from amazon.

First, I got the [url=https://www.amazon.com/Protector-G-D-SMITH-Coverage-Tempered-Explosion-Proof/dp/B01LYWNH8N/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&srs=13186063011&ie=UTF8&qid=1476456159&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin:15284134011]3D Full Coverage Explosion Proof[/URL]

No pics yet but the bezel coverage is soft and flexible. It doesn't curve down to cover the edges, so it does create a lip. The sensor and camera are cut out. So there will be an issue of dust and dirt accumulation.

The [url=https://www.amazon.com/protector-G-D-SMITH-Protector-ballistic-Anti-Scratch/dp/B01LZJKEXT/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&srs=13186063011&ie=UTF8&qid=1476456159&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin%3A15284134011]3D Ballistic E2E[/URL] is slightly better. It's all glass. Really slick feel. Once again, as mentioned previously, no true edge coverage. It creates a lip/edge, which is actually kind of sharp if you press too hard on it. Below the home button there is a small gap. Doesn't seem to adhere strongly around it. Fits perfectly in the Apple Leather Case.

I wish I would spent the extra $5-$6 for the full ballistic glass version instead of the explosion proof. Not perfect but does the job.

Also, interestingly, I got this email from them. I didn't even complain or have a change to write a review. I suppose they're being preemptive.

Thanks for your purchase.
My dear friend, , it is the 3D tempered glass, but it is adopt the different technology, which lead to the curved not as same as the iphone 6/6s. Because the display screen is wider which show the cuved is not curved as 6/6s.

For this situation, if you have problem of installation, or have question about our item, please feel free to let me know.

We're aways here to serve for you.

Regards
GDS

jmfangio

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
NorCal
Hi All,

Sharing my thoughts on the new G.D.Smith protectors.

I bought two different ones from amazon.

First, I got the 3D Full Coverage Explosion Proof

No pics yet but the bezel coverage is soft and flexible. It doesn't curve down to cover the edges, so it does create a lip. The sensor and camera are cut out. So there will be an issue of dust and dirt accumulation.

The 3D Ballistic E2E is slightly better. It's all glass. Really slick feel. Once again, as mentioned previously, no true edge coverage. It creates a lip/edge, which is actually kind of sharp if you press too hard on it. Below the home button there is a small gap. Doesn't seem to adhere strongly around it. Fits perfectly in the Apple Leather Case.

I wish I would spent the extra $5-$6 for the full ballistic glass version instead of the explosion proof. Not perfect but does the job.

Also, interestingly, I got this email from them. I didn't even complain or have a change to write a review. I suppose they're being preemptive.

After a nearly 3 week wait, my G.D.SMITH 3D Curved Fit HD 9H Tempered Glass Screen Protector (https://amzn.com/B01LX9J51K) arrived yesterday. But after reading all the negatives here and being pretty happy with my Turata, I didn't open it but instead contacted their CS about my concerns. Namely, that according to you fine people here, the protector they sent me is not 3D as it was described..blah, blah, blah...please give me my money back. I got this reply from them overnight:

Thanks for your contacting.
My dear friend, we're so sorry for this issue.

but please let me explain it, it is the 3D tempered glass, but it is adopt the different technology, which lead to the curved not as same as the iphone 6/6s.
Because the display screen is wider which show the cuved is not curved as 6/6s.

For this situation, we would like to resend a new to you, which was the new version, and the curved as same as the iphone 6/6s.

If you agree with it, we will resend it to you as soon as possible.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
GDS

Has anyone got this "new version" that is curved like the 6S ice max?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Reactions: willmtaylor

pchan0

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
I'm patiently waiting for the imos ete 3D glass, it is truly the best that I've used. Hard oleophobic coating, extremely comfortable 3D rounded edge with very little gaps!

i1_zpsdzdvfrvh.jpg

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
The supposed "GD ICE MAX"

No curve at all, looks completely flat to me.

It is curved. There is a cutout and lip under the protection sheet. You'll see if you take it off. The problem is the size is a little off on the 7 version which makes it stick out past the curve of the iPhone.

momofall

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
For those who purchased a Belkin Invisiglass Ultra screen protector for iphone 7 plus from Apple Store, I had a very good experience with their customer service today! I had the Apple Store apply the 'too narrow' screen protector to my 7+ last Friday. I first called Apple Store and was told I would need to return it within the 14 days and they were not aware of the issue. I called Belkin and they do know there is an issue and they are sending me a check for the $39.95(1 month delivery), so I can keep the current product and purchase a new one approximately Nov 28 when they are due to be in stores. I have 2 more 7+ coming Monday and plan to have the Belkin applied in store as well. Belkin Rep told me to call back with receipt and they would send an additional check to cover those products as well. I was very impressed with their admittance of the issue and their willingness to fix it. I don't have to get a temporary replacement, or receive a replacement by mail to apply myself. GO Belkin!!

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
For those who purchased a Belkin Invisiglass Ultra screen protector for iphone 7 plus from Apple Store, I had a very good experience with their customer service today! I had the Apple Store apply the 'too narrow' screen protector to my 7+ last Friday. I first called Apple Store and was told I would need to return it within the 14 days and they were not aware of the issue. I called Belkin and they do know there is an issue and they are sending me a check for the $39.95(1 month delivery), so I can keep the current product and purchase a new one approximately Nov 28 when they are due to be in stores. I have 2 more 7+ coming Monday and plan to have the Belkin applied in store as well. Belkin Rep told me to call back with receipt and they would send an additional check to cover those products as well. I was very impressed with their admittance of the issue and their willingness to fix it. I don't have to get a temporary replacement, or receive a replacement by mail to apply myself. GO Belkin!!

That is awesome. Calling them right now.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm patiently waiting for the imos ete 3D glass, it is truly the best that I've used. Hard oleophobic coating, extremely comfortable 3D rounded edge with very little gaps!

i1_zpsdzdvfrvh.jpg
Yes, expensive but high quality. Of course, the same WAS true for the Ice Max.

Any ETA on the IMOS?

Bizzle79

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
New England
Cant recommend the Turata highly enough! It just saved my bacon this evening! My phone fell on concrete in a parking lot screen first. At first i saw no blemishes and i was like wow! When i got home , i saw a hairline crack and was getting worried, i removed the screen to check it out, lo and behold - the protector was cracked and my screen is still flawless! Hallelujah!

Pic of the remains of the Turata. Damage is mostly at the top and you can see the bottom is also bent out of shape.

I now have the GD Smith icemax (?) on my phone. I had ordered both the Turata and GD at the same time but the Turata arrived first so i put it on. As many have mentioned, the GD smith is not curved at the edges, i can feel a somewhat sharp edge when i run my finger down the side esp trying to multitask. The surface also feels slightly less smooth than the Turata. I'm ordering a replacement Turata asap. GD also sent me an email - yet to read it though but i might ask for a replacement (based on what I've read from others above and give them another shot)

Attachments

• IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 175

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
Anyone tried or taken pictures of the Spigen Glas TR? I'm just looking for a non-E2E screen protector that actually adheres into the screen completely. I am always having trouble with both sides no adhering properly

I apply my screen protectors pretty much 99.9% accurately in a dust free environment...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Anyone tried or taken pictures of the Spigen Glas TR? I'm just looking for a non-E2E screen protector that actually adheres into the screen completely. I am always having trouble with both sides no adhering properly

I apply my screen protectors pretty much 99.9% accurately in a dust free environment...
In the past it wasn't well received b/c of issues with glass not even fully covering LCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.