Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
For you guys that got the Belkin protector at an Apple Store are you happy with it, for fit and feel ?

I guess only a few protectors can be applied by the machine in the Apple Store. Which specific one do you have if so, Tks.

I probably want to get one fitted in the next week on my new 7 plus.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
For you guys that got the Belkin protector at an Apple Store are you happy with it, for fit and feel ?

I guess only a few protectors can be applied by the machine in the Apple Store. Which specific one do you have if so, Tks.

I probably want to get one fitted in the next week on my new 7 plus.

Mine started lifting by the home button, then cracked by the earpiece. Not cool for $39.99 Plus tax. Luckily it happened on the 14th day of the return window.

I'm using the Anker GlassGuard and it's holding up pretty good. Went on perfectly. Took some patience to align it properly using the hinge method. Not bad for 7 bucks vs 40.

Reactions: irod87

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
About to rip off the Orzly protector. The nonexistent oleophobic coating is quite annoying. Was better off with the Turata:rolleyes:

Is this the 3D model? I just ordered it :(

That's no good...I ordered 2x from Amazon last week too.... So either it's got gaps around the edges (Godosmith/Turata) or the coating is substandard (Orzly)?

I have zero issues with the Orzly. The first 24 hrs I had a corner that wouldn't 100% adhere, but it has now.

The issue of the oleophobic coating is, in my opinion, being vastly overblown here. It might not be as resistant as others, but it's certainly not awful. I hardly notice it at all. A quick wipe (just like with any other screen/protector) and you're good to go.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I have zero issues with the Orzly. The first 24 hrs I had a corner that wouldn't 100% adhere, but it has now.

Cool that's good to know. I'll report back when I get mine.... in 2 weeks LOL
[doublepost=1477010137][/doublepost]
My "fixed" Ice Max 3D gets here today, I'll post pictures if I can.

Is it still packaged as "Titan.Glass"? Please tell me there are no gaps and the protector edges are actually 3D
[doublepost=1477010228][/doublepost]
Yes it's the 3D one. So far, no perfect protector. I definitely prefer the gap with better coating vs no gap and barely any coating.

But the dust trapped under the sensor window is driving me insane! Plus when I removed my first one, I'm pretty sure I saw a "microabrasion" on the phone screen that wasn't there before I put on the protector

Reactions: willmtaylor

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Mine started lifting by the home button, then cracked by the earpiece. Not cool for $39.99 Plus tax. Luckily it happened on the 14th day of the return window.

I'm using the Anker GlassGuard and it's holding up pretty good. Went on perfectly. Took some patience to align it properly using the hinge method. Not bad for 7 bucks vs 40.

Yikes ! That ain't good :(

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
The issue of the oleophobic coating is, in my opinion, being vastly overblown here. It might not be as resistant as others, but it's certainly not awful. I hardly notice it at all. A quick wipe (just like with any other screen/protector) and you're good to go.
Maybe my face/hands are just overly oily..I don't know? But there is definitely a big difference (to me) between the Orzly and Turata (and even the G-color).
But the dust trapped under the sensor window is driving me insane! Plus when I removed my first one, I'm pretty sure I saw a "microabrasion" on the phone screen that wasn't there before I put on the protector
Of the three I tried, none have adhesive all around the sensors. I did have a piece of dust trapped when I had the Orzly. A spray from a can of compressed air helped get rid of it.

At this point, I'm really considering just going without a screen protector (for the first time ever). I am on the Apple upgrade program, with Apple care and will likely upgrade in a year anyway.

I almost forgot that I have the G.d.smith protector (not Icemax) that is two different materials. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Who knows, it may be the best out of the 4 I've purchased so far.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Maybe my face/hands are just overly oily..I don't know? But there is definitely a big difference (to me) between the Orzly and Turata (and even the G-color).

Of the three I tried, none have adhesive all around the sensors. I did have a piece of dust trapped when I had the Orzly. A spray from a can of compressed air helped get rid of it.

At this point, I'm really considering just going without a screen protector (for the first time ever). I am on the Apple upgrade program, with Apple care and will likely upgrade in a year anyway.

I almost forgot that I have the G.d.smith protector (not Icemax) that is two different materials. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Who knows, it may be the best out of the 4 I've purchased so far.
Each to his own. Definitely not discounting your experience. Just wanted to give my own

Reactions: Kisey

pchan0

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
Got my Orzly yesterday and noticed couple of issues already just comparing with the imos for my 6S plus. No adhesive around the sensors, the proximity sensor not working during a call and the oleophobic coating is pretty much non existent.

b1deed7655cf1adfa8af2934fc93b513.jpg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Got my Orzly yesterday and noticed couple of issues already just comparing with the imos for my 6S plus. No adhesive around the sensors, the proximity sensor not working during a call and the oleophobic coating is pretty much non existent.

b1deed7655cf1adfa8af2934fc93b513.jpg
Nice pic.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
So far I've used an orzly, a gd smith, a choetech, a Spigen glass tr, and a rhino shield.

The orzly was ok but didn't fully adhere and left an ugly bubble.

The smith I'm sending back, as others have said it was terrible. I left a review on amazon, don't buy it!

The Spigen is ok, nothing outstanding but nothing terrible.

The rhinoshield is the most protective but also the least slick and has zero oleophobic coating.

The best of the ones I've used was the choetech. Best oleophibic coating of any I've used and adhered fully.

canvasback13

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
i received the G-Colar 3D Full from amazon today, it says case friendly. It isn't i tried with a spigen and the apple silicon. Edges lift right up. Going in the trash...

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Just an FYI if you want to use a Spigen case you will most likely need a non e2e protector. Most Spigen cases wrap up around the edge of the screen and tend to lift an edge to edge. It's not the protector fault, some things just don't work well together.

crazymeeshu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
West Virginia
The GD Smith Ice Max 3D v2 is perfect, exactly like the iPhone 6/6s version. Fits perfectly on the iPhone 7.

Amazon part number: B01M4IQ9BK

Buy it. I just ordered another one.

EDIT: The long version:
- glass is just as good as Apple's
- glass is completely smooth, unlike the Orzly's gritty feeling
- edges are perfectly rounded
- no gap
- cutouts line up perfectly
- home button and front speaker cutouts are properly rounded, unlike the Orzly's unrounded cutouts
- very good fingerprint resistance

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ

I had the same problem with the Belkin Invisiglass that Apple installed in the store with the machine. 3 times they replaced it and each one still peeled up to the left of the home button on my 7+.

It's driving me crazy. They were thinking of trying a Tech21 for the 6+ but they are concerned it won't fit right and will overhang. I've tried the Zagg but it's too big also and leaves edges all the way around.

So right now I'm out of luck it seems. Posting this from a demo MacBook at the Menlo Park, Edison NJ store right now.

Fred

Winryito

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I am torn. I do enjoy the Orzly but it simply won't work with my sleeve I purchased from Joli Originals. The sleeve might be too snug because it's literally pulling the screen protector off my phone. I am thinking of going back for the belkin invisible glass at Apple Store, but I really don't enjoy the rainbow effect around the border :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.