Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Are Anker and Spigen pretty comparable when it comes to glass screen protectors?

I would like to know as well. Both of them delivered today, and one must go back :) I've had lots of expereince with Spigen and its been very good. Never tried Anker SPs, but they do make quality products and I have heard good things about them here. Anker however has a cutout for the front facing camera while the Spigen does not. In my expereince it doesn't make a difference but some have complained about it here and would avoid it.

They are also very very easy to get right during installation. For the SP's linked above, you will get 2 Spigen SP's for the same price compared to just one Anker.

Last edited:

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Here are the two (Spigen and Anker). Hopefully someone here can eyeball the speaker cutouts. The one with the cutout for the front camera is the Anker.

IMG_20160916_194440.jpg

IMG_20160916_194548.jpg

IMG_20160916_194659.jpg

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Are Anker and Spigen pretty comparable when it comes to glass screen protectors?

I've used both many times and both are fantastic. As shown in another post, the spigen doesn't have a cut out for the front facing camera...which I personally prefer. Having the cut out makes for a nice spot to clog with dust and stuff. Both are top notch though. But, since the Spigen is currently a two pack, covers the front facing camera and fits perfectly... I'd say thats a big win. Loving mine thus far.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
As I mentioned already, I purchased this 3D glass protector off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/302071080181?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=600875044086&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm glad I did so at least I have protection from day one. I babied my 6S and under LED lights I see a lot of scratches.

The protector seems to be 2 different materials. The painted part seems to be plastic and the clear glass. I'm not sure but I think so. You can feel a ridge where the two pieces are. It was easy to install. Under normal lights I can't tell its on there but under good lighting, I can see where its slightly lifted where the battery indicator is and where the signal dots are. I will look for something better.

Can anyone with experience with these 3d protectors tell me, are they usually one smooth solid piece of glass, or is there supposed to be a marked ridge between the clear and the black?

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 329

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
How much better could a sapphire screen protector be? Worth $50??

I've never had a glass protector on any of my devices before, but used friend's/family's phones with them and I will say without rounded edges, it's not pleasant to feel.

Anyone know if the Anker or Spigen are rounded edges or not?

I've never used one before but installed two Ankers today. Doesn't appear these are rounded. I like it though.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Yes, I would like to know people's opinions on the Zagg. Lifetime warranty sure sounds nice!
I've used zagg for years. However, went to mall kiosk today and they went through 3 of them trying to get the top edges to stick! The 4th one looked ok till I got home! It lifting and driving me nuts. I'll return it tomorrow. Oh, I have a black plus 7.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Here are the two (Spigen and Anker). Hopefully someone here can eyeball the speaker cutouts. The one with the cutout for the front camera is the Anker.

IMG_20160916_194440.jpg

IMG_20160916_194548.jpg

IMG_20160916_194659.jpg
I read a review on Amazon of someone complaining about the edges of the Spigen being square and that "the edges are sharp and feel unnatural". What about the edges of the Anker?
[doublepost=1474089605][/doublepost]
I've used zagg for years. However, went to mall kiosk today and they went through 3 of them trying to get the top edges to stick! The 4th one looked ok till I got home! It lifting and driving me nuts. I'll return it tomorrow. Oh, I have a black plus 7.
Which Zagg product did you get installed? I'm confused about which products are available from them. There website has the HDX, Sapphire Defense, Glass+, and HD. It doesn't tell the difference between them. I'm guessing the Glass+ is replacing the regular Glass, because the regular Glass says not available. So does the Original.

Reactions: willmtaylor

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
As I mentioned already, I purchased this 3D glass protector off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/302071080181?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=600875044086&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm glad I did so at least I have protection from day one. I babied my 6S and under LED lights I see a lot of scratches.

The protector seems to be 2 different materials. The painted part seems to be plastic and the clear glass. I'm not sure but I think so. You can feel a ridge where the two pieces are. It was easy to install. Under normal lights I can't tell its on there but under good lighting, I can see where its slightly lifted where the battery indicator is and where the signal dots are. I will look for something better.

Can anyone with experience with these 3d protectors tell me, are they usually one smooth solid piece of glass, or is there supposed to be a marked ridge between the clear and the black?
Should be smooth. It should feel the same as the original iPhone glass.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I read a review on Amazon of someone complaining about the edges of the Spigen being square and that "the edges are sharp and feel unnatural". What about the edges of the Anker?

Their R series has rounded edges and holding the two hand in hand, they seemed about the same as far as feel was concerned. Anker does seem thinner and lighter so there is that. Honestly, I don't see a significant advantage to either other than Spigen's inclusion of a second protector which is always nice to have if you screw up an installation, or end up dropping your phone or damaging the screen protector through routine use.

Last edited:

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
[doublepost=1474089605][/doublepost]
Which Zagg product did you get installed? I'm confused about which products are available from them. There website has the HDX, Sapphire Defense, Glass+, and HD. It doesn't tell the difference between them. I'm guessing the Glass+ is replacing the regular Glass, because the regular Glass says not available. So does the Original.
Glass+

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Yes. I've received confirmation from Spigen, and Anker that their SP's are made specifically for the 7 and 7 plus and are not repackaged ones from the previous phones.

Thanks. My Spigen came today from amazon (prime) and it fits perfectly.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
Gotcha. Please let me know what it looks like when you turn it on. Regardless of bezel color you'll notice if the protector doesn't fully cover the lit / usable area of the screen.

Wow I now see what you mean. It's just a bit inside the light on each side and is rather annoying. Most likely going to bring back this week for a refund and try something else. Sucks

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That's good to know. I'll keep it in mind.
[doublepost=1474035971][/doublepost]I ordered BodyGuardz Fully Body Skins for our iPhone 7's:

http://www.bodyguardz.com/apple-iphone-7-clear-skins-full-body-protector.html

I don't like using cases, and the full body film works very well. You actually get to see, hold and feel the device as intended/designed.

Register for free for the "Advantage Club" and you get 20% off plus Free Replacements ($5.95 shipping) as needed.

There are also a number of 10-15% off coupon codes floating around out there as well. Google and you'll find them.

If you still want to use a case, you can simply order the regular front screen protector (Screenguardz or Pure 2) instead.
That looks so cool but how on earth do you put that on without ending up wrapped in it yourself? As often happens to me just from wrapping presents and dealing with tape.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

That looks cheap in every sense of the word. Love grammar mistakes in product descriptions.

To answer your question, no. It's not normal.

I'm just hoping GODOSMITH will come out with the Ice Max 3D for the iPhone 7 soon.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/G-D...-Apple-iPhone-7-Safety-Glass/32731641901.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/G-D...ple-iPhone-7-4-7-inch-Safety/32732376752.html

Last edited:

bmdub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Knoxville, TN
There website has the HDX, Sapphire Defense, Glass+, and HD. It doesn't tell the difference between them. I'm guessing the Glass+ is replacing the regular Glass, because the regular Glass says not available. So does the Original.

The HD and HDX are not glass. They are great products, just not glass. I had the HDX on my iPad and liked it. It feels pretty good under your finger but just prefer the super smoothness of glass. Yes, it's a premium price but you can't beat the product and service of Zagg.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The HD and HDX are not glass. They are great products, just not glass. I had the HDX on my iPad and liked it. It feels pretty good under your finger but just prefer the super smoothness of glass. Yes, it's a premium price but you can't beat the product and service of Zagg.
Yeah, good company and products, but not glass. :-/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.