Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0rg

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
So much for tech armor HD ballistic glass. Got a 2 pack and neither will adhere properly.

d7fe15c2a61e0a98c4fd178be1fde8ad.jpg

c4f71b8bc5bc9449f947c38c766105f3.jpg
Got the Tech Armor Corning version and no problem at all, sticks perfectly

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
hi guys

any tips to remove tempered glass sp?

i tried using a stick tape to lift the corner but i can't

dynoto

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
just received my GDSmith 3D after friggin 25 days of waiting.
the glass quality is absolutely great.

I have a problem when applying it the first time as some dust gets in between the glass and iPhone, and also proximity sensor are slightly misaligned so I remove it ... and use the sticky tape to remove the debris and reapply.
on the second time, I got it right on the cleanliness and alignment, the screen looks glorious.

now ... about the issues that a lot of people are complaining,

1. the edges are definitely curved unlike the 2.5D, I can feel the notch from inside the glass. It's not completely flush, leaving just a small gap ... but for a $12 item its good enough. also i use it in conjunction with Otterbox Statement and it fits perfectly.

people who expect a $12 glass to sit flush with manufacturing precision close to Apple are being unrealistic and unreasonable with their demands.

2. about the packaging, I got the one that shows the knight cartoon instead of titan.Glass, kinda glad that I got the first time right.
[doublepost=1480598712][/doublepost]
hi guys

any tips to remove tempered glass sp?

i tried using a stick tape to lift the corner but i can't

use a namecard, something that is thin, pliable but reasonably rigid.
thats what i do

Last edited:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
guys are there any screen protectors (non glass protects but those plastic ones) what covers the front 100%? with the curves?

Spigen used to make some awesome plastic protectors that wrapped around the screen for the 6/6s but haven't done them again for the 7. http://www.spigen.com/collections/i...screen-protector-steinheil-curved-crystal-4-7

Wish someone know about similar protectors. i loved the fact that these had real 3D shape with adhesive all around, not like current glass protectors with their colored borders and fake 3d coverage. plus these plastic protectors were thinner than any glass one. And no shattering.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Got the Tech Armor Corning version and no problem at all, sticks perfectly
Just put on the Tech Armor Corning glass after giving up on E2E. Very very nice and slick protector.

Did you have any issues with micro-bubbles around the very edge of the glass? I have it along most edges and are only visible when I really look for it, just hoping that it'll disappear when the adhesive 'cures'.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Just put on the Tech Armor Corning glass after giving up on E2E. Very very nice and slick protector.

Did you have any issues with micro-bubbles around the very edge of the glass? I have it along most edges and are only visible when I really look for it, just hoping that it'll disappear when the adhesive 'cures'.

I don't believe that I have any. I also don't think the adhesive ever cures with tempered glass protectors.
Here's picture of my phone with the Tech Armor Corning 2 glass in the black Apple leather case.
Can you see any in this picture?

Attachments

• b13.jpg
    b13.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 448
  • b12.jpg
    b12.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 468
Reactions: Daranx

crazymeeshu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
West Virginia
just received my GDSmith 3D after friggin 25 days of waiting.
the glass quality is absolutely great.

I have a problem when applying it the first time as some dust gets in between the glass and iPhone, and also proximity sensor are slightly misaligned so I remove it ... and use the sticky tape to remove the debris and reapply.
on the second time, I got it right on the cleanliness and alignment, the screen looks glorious.

now ... about the issues that a lot of people are complaining,

1. the edges are definitely curved unlike the 2.5D, I can feel the notch from inside the glass. It's not completely flush, leaving just a small gap ... but for a $12 item its good enough. also i use it in conjunction with Otterbox Statement and it fits perfectly.

people who expect a $12 glass to sit flush with manufacturing precision close to Apple are being unrealistic and unreasonable with their demands.

2. about the packaging, I got the one that shows the knight cartoon instead of titan.Glass, kinda glad that I got the first time right.
[doublepost=1480598712][/doublepost]

use a namecard, something that is thin, pliable but reasonably rigid.
thats what i do
Are the edges of the home button and top speaker rounded as well or are they sharp?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012

Can you post a couple pictures showing this problem?

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Can you post a couple pictures showing this problem?
Tried my best to show it, it's been there since I first put the protector on yesterday and hasn't really improved. You'll have to zoom in to see it as I I couldn't get any closer with my camera.

IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Tried my best to show it, it's been there since I first put the protector on yesterday and hasn't really improved. You'll have to zoom in to see it as I I couldn't get any closer with my camera.

View attachment 675730 View attachment 675731

Yes, I do see these in a couple of small areas along the edge. I have to really be looking hard to find them.
[doublepost=1480721010][/doublepost]
I just got mine in today via Amazon Prime and I concur, 100% smooth. That was my #1 problem with the old knight.

The gdsmith knight series is now my edge to edge glass screen protector of choice.

Does the G.D. Smith have adhesive on the actual display area or just the top, bottom and thin sides?

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I had the Apple Store throw on two of the Belkin glass protectors that they do with the applicator when my wife and I ugraded to the 7 a couple of weeks ago.

Haven't had time to go back - but, was pretty disappointed in the short time after realizing it was narrow of the screen. Annoying for a hundred reasons, rainbow, distracting display falls outside protector, etc.

It does seem to me, though, that it is a thin protector which is nice around the home button - and seems like it does a decent job rejecting fingerprints.

My question is - I was able to get Anker glass protectors that seem to be the width of the screen for $3 - will they be comparable in quality over time in terms of the coating/scratch resistance to the belkin? For $3 I could replace them 13 times for what 1 Belkin cost.

I'm still within my return period - would apple even take the Belkin back off of my phone though?

Thanks.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Since it's no longer an actual button, does it need protection?

1) You can still protect the area from scratches
2) This would be an ideal protector if you want to switch your front of your phone from white to black and vice versa (at least from the looks of it)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
1) You can still protect the area from scratches
2) This would be an ideal protector if you want to switch your front of your phone from white to black and vice versa (at least from the looks of it)
I don't think I've ever read or heard about that button getting damaged (on these forums or elsewhere).

Stereo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
So much for tech armor HD ballistic glass. Got a 2 pack and neither will adhere properly.

d7fe15c2a61e0a98c4fd178be1fde8ad.jpg

c4f71b8bc5bc9449f947c38c766105f3.jpg

My Zagg did the same thing. So I ordered tech armor from amazon and I honestly reinstalled like 3 times because of lent. But the glass protector seems to adhere just fine. Although, i had the same problem with the edges. But I find they can be worked out the same way with the bubbles. Pretty easy to install if you ask me. I got mines perfectly aligned as well.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I had the Apple Store throw on two of the Belkin glass protectors that they do with the applicator when my wife and I ugraded to the 7 a couple of weeks ago.

Haven't had time to go back - but, was pretty disappointed in the short time after realizing it was narrow of the screen. Annoying for a hundred reasons, rainbow, distracting display falls outside protector, etc.

It does seem to me, though, that it is a thin protector which is nice around the home button - and seems like it does a decent job rejecting fingerprints.

My question is - I was able to get Anker glass protectors that seem to be the width of the screen for $3 - will they be comparable in quality over time in terms of the coating/scratch resistance to the belkin? For $3 I could replace them 13 times for what 1 Belkin cost.

I'm still within my return period - would apple even take the Belkin back off of my phone though?

Thanks.

I've used the Anker Glassguard since the 6S. They have worked for me pretty good and have held up really well.

My Belkin one cracked on day 14 of having it. I was able to return it for a refund. Switched to the Anker one and it's been working well ever since.

YMMV.

trmiv

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Well I was a big fan of my Tech Armor Corning Accessory glass protector until I took the phone out of my pocket yesterday and the edge of the protector was chipped in a spot. No clue how that happened. Wasn't dropped or in my pocket with anything that could chip it. I love how thin it is but maybe it's too thin and easy to damage.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Well I was a big fan of my Tech Armor Corning Accessory glass protector until I took the phone out of my pocket yesterday and the edge of the protector was chipped in a spot. No clue how that happened. Wasn't dropped or in my pocket with anything that could chip it. I love how thin it is but maybe it's too thin and easy to damage.

This glass cracks easier than a thin Potato Chip and Tech Armor's warranty is nonexistent.
It's a nice glass but I believe that it is totally useless for any impacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.