Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidgolfer

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
I signed up for 3 iPhone 7 plus 128g. Trading in our 3 iPhone 6. $650 credit each phone I'm happy. Seems like the old days of contracts.

Sammypurple

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Massachusetts, United States
It may be different if you're already on annual upgrade. But here is my understanding of the deal:
  • Purchase iPhone 7
  • Trade in old iPhone for $650 credit
  • Credit is applied to your account (the current discrepancies are whether it's as a lump sum at the beginning--what CSR's are saying, or whether it's spread out over 2 years--what the VZW Promo fine print says).
  • The "CATCH" is that customers accepting this promo are agreeing to keep that line with VZW for 2 years.
To me, this reads like a deal for those who are not yet on annual upgrades with a DPP (device payment plan), but I'm not 100%.

Thanks for the outline. That's basically what I was getting from the thread, but frankly, it is a fairly confusing/unexplained offer. I think the issue is mainly for people who have a 6s/6s+ on a payment plan. Assuming most have only the 50% paid off, they would have to pay the full remaining 50% before doing the deal so there isn't much (if any) benefit to doing the trade-in offer. In fjfjfjfj's case (and correct me if I'm wrong on your situation, fjfjfjfj), nothing will be different if you already preordered a new phone with the annual upgrade on a payment plan.

The whole thing is way too complex for me to have agreed to it at 3 in the morning. Are people thinking they'll be able to upgrade next year if the credit is going to be spread out over the two years?

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Has anyone on a business account been able to successfully track their order? No matter what I put in for user name it says order not found. I found an order status page on my account, but it doesn't show a ship date.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I love Verizon. Order was flagged by the customer protection team and after answering their questions. Now no one can locate the order. Thanks soo much Verizon! I will enjoy my iPhone 7 i guess when i get it around christmas now.

Reactions: geoff5093

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Thanks for the outline. That's basically what I was getting from the thread, but frankly, it is a fairly confusing/unexplained offer. I think the issue is mainly for people who have a 6s/6s+ on a payment plan. Assuming most have only the 50% paid off, they would have to pay the full remaining 50% before doing the deal so there isn't much (if any) benefit to doing the trade-in offer. In fjfjfjfj's case (and correct me if I'm wrong on your situation, fjfjfjfj), nothing will be different if you already preordered a new phone with the annual upgrade on a payment plan.

The whole thing is way too complex for me to have agreed to it at 3 in the morning. Are people thinking they'll be able to upgrade next year if the credit is going to be spread out over the two years?
That's right. Nothing changed for me, upgraded and will continue making the same payments. The part I'm still not clear on, after reading about 100 posts on the topic, is what happens when I turn my old phone in? Some people say nothing and some are saying I will get a $650 credit.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004

I'm coming off a 2-year contract and ordered new iphones 7s this morning over the phone due to some account issues. The person on the phone, who was really helpful and knowledgeable, said the $649 credit for each phone will be divided up over 24 months as a sort of device payment "credit". So you'd get charged the device payment, and get credited $27.04 each month. I asked multiple people multiple times and they all stated that this has no effect on upgrading your phone 12 months later. It's just like being on any other device payment plan.

Sammypurple

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
That's right. Nothing changed for me, upgraded and will continue making the same payments. The part I'm still not clear on, after reading about 100 posts on the topic, is what happens when I turn my old phone in? Some people say nothing and some are saying I will get a $650 credit.

If I am interpreting everything correctly, nothing will happen. I believe you had to intentionally do the offer to get the $650. If you just upgraded like normal on the payment plan, nothing should be different than the typical upgrade process. For people who understand the whole situation a bit better, please correct me if I am wrong.

noshooz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Central Maryland
This is my first pre-order. It was very easy going through the steps on the VzW website. I'm on the old "Edge" upgrade option where I only had to pay off 75% of my current device (64GB 6 Plus) before being eligible to upgrade. It's only going to cost me a little over $1 more in monthly payments for the 128GB matte black iPhone 7 Plus I just ordered. Delivery date is 9/23, ordered at 7:35am EDT.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It brings you to the same place with the same info as the order status under Support or My Devices.

My status is currently "Processing" and it shows no other details besides that.

Yeah, I've got that too. Guess I'll just have to wait. I remember in the past there's been a different order status page that showed more details.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
If I am interpreting everything correctly, nothing will happen. I believe you had to intentionally do the offer to get the $650. If you just upgraded like normal on the payment plan, nothing should be different than the typical upgrade process. For people who understand the whole situation a bit better, please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think you needed to do anything special at checkout to get the trade-in offer. Per Verizons page on this (https://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/iphone/), you can choose the trade-in at checkout or later from your account page.

Verizons text:

Trade in and get
iPhone 7 for $0.
Up to $650 savings.

Here’s how to get your iPhone 7 for $0:

1. Buy a new iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus with monthlydevice payments.
  2. During checkout, select the option to trade in your old device, or if you wish to trade in your device at a later time, log in to My Verizon and select “trade in old device.”
  3. After you have completed your trade-in appraisal, you will receive a box to return your old device.
Your savings will be credited to your account as recurring payments over 24 months beginning within 2-3 cycles. iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are eligible for promotional value of $650.

$649.99 on device payment req'd. Less $650 trade-in credit, ends when balance paid; 0% APR. Line must be active for 2 yrs for full credit. Trade-in must be in good working & cosmetic condition.

nhgrumpy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
NH
Ordered 4 this morning at 3:38 est. del date of 9/28. 2 7's and 2. 7 plus's. 1 was better black 256g. Now the really long wait begins. Order still says processing.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Pre ordered my iPhone 7 black 128GB this morning as soon as the apple website let me in and I will be getting it on the 16th

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Pre-ordered the plus when Verizon site eventually allowed me to... probably around 3:08am-3:10am est., and email shows delivery for 10/5 :(

Hoping I get lucky and I get it Friday, but don't have high hopes.

msingh7

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
I was able to order a 128gb 7 Plus Matte black last night with 9/23 delivery, but when i went through the trade in process for my 6 plus 16gb i was getting an appraisal of only $240. I figured I can just call later and have it done.

Anyone else with this same issue?

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
I was able to order a 128gb 7 Plus Matte black last night with 9/23 delivery, but when i went through the trade in process for my 6 plus 16gb i was getting an appraisal of only $240. I figured I can just call later and have it done.

Anyone else with this same issue?

Yes, I have the same issue. Trade in of my iPhone6 64GB says $220. No mention of $649. I think (though I'm not sure) everyone is in the same boat. I'm guessing this will either be corrected on the site, or on our accounts when we do the trade-in. The way it is now though, it's totally confusing and unassuring.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
YAY finally got my order placed. Delivery date of October 10th! Still good though i was expecting to wait a while. The issue that caused the delay was when the website was not letting me submit the order.

Each time the system by default created an Installment Agreement so literally there were 10 agreements showing on the website they had to clear out which triggered the fraud thing.

lilvenom

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Forgive me if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what are people doing who purchased an iPhone 6s with the device payment plan last year? Are you paying down the remaining balance (for me it's around $425) and then trading in that phone to get the credit? Or are you just hitting the 50% to upgrade to the iPhone 7 and staying on the device payment plan?

jess222

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
CA
Forgive me if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what are people doing who purchased an iPhone 6s with the device payment plan last year? Are you paying down the remaining balance (for me it's around $425) and then trading in that phone to get the credit? Or are you just hitting the 50% to upgrade to the iPhone 7 and staying on the device payment plan?
I paid $31 to get to the 50% point then I'm sending in my 6s and staying on the DPP

Reactions: Crazyj414

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Yes, 2GB every month for as long as you are on a L (8gb) data plan.
Is the 2GB bonus automatic with every upgrade using the "L" (8gb) plan only if you purchase through Verison? Or, does this bonus apply regardless of where you purchase?

I went through the pre-order process for a 7 upgrade through the Apple site (i.e. 3am ish) this morning using the Apple Upgrade Plan. I currently have a 6 plus and am on the more everything plan (10GB). As I was going through the process (on the Apple site) one message stated that your data plan will remain the same. I'm not currently on the "L" plan and it looks like there is not way to switch to it during the upgrade process at Apple. Just curious if I'll be "auto-switched" to the "L" plan (i.e. Since it's closest to my current plan in terms of GB) and if so, will the 2GB bonus apply?

I did hit a snag during the process with Apple: "We can't reach your carrier system to process your order, but have reserved an iPhone for you.....for pickup on Sept 16.....We'll e-mail you when it's time to proceed....". I did get the follow-up e-mail this morning and have till Saturday to compete the order for pickup on the 16th.

So, I have time to back out of the order if I need to go through another "channel" to make the upgrade in order to get the 2GB bonus data. Just curious if anyone knows how this works in my situation?

Sammypurple

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008

Paying up to 50% and staying on the payment plan for me.

jsw80

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Pre-ordered on phone with Verizon Rep. Iphone 7 128gb black delivers 16th! Easiest process i've had.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone on a business account been able to successfully track their order? No matter what I put in for user name it says order not found. I found an order status page on my account, but it doesn't show a ship date.

My iPhone 7+ order just says "inventory not available. delivery will be updated when available"

No ship date. No nothing. Ordered on the business site at about 3:17 AM EDT.

Interestingly, I just ordered another coworker a phone this morning, iPhone 7 not + and his says delivered by 9/16.

zachy85

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone who has ordered from VZ in the past recall what method they use? I've been on T-Mobile the past few launches and I think it was UPS...

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

I just hit the 50% to stay on the payment plan. I don't think the $650 credit is beneficial if you want to upgrade your phone every year, as it's not a lump-sum credit. It's a monthly credit over 24 months.

For example (payment plan):

My iPhone 6S 64GB was $749
If I still owed 50% ($375) and have already made $375 in payments, I have 2 options:

1. Pay nothing, trade-in my phone and continue the monthly payment plan for the iPhone 7.
2. Pay off the remaining balance ($375), trade-in my phone and get a "$650 credit" towards the iPhone 7 when entering into a new 2 year payment plan.

However, option #2 isn't really a $650 credit if I plan to upgrade to the iPhone 8 next year. It's a $27/month credit (for the 32GB base model) x 12 months. This means I will have paid $749 for 12 months of usage of my iPhone 6S + $0 for 12 months of usage of an iPhone 7. This comes out to $749 total over 24 months (1 year with the iP6S and 1 year with the iP7). When the iPhone 8 is released, I trade in the iP7 and monthly payments (i.e. $27/month) would start up again at that point.

If I go with option #1 and just stay on the monthly payment plan, I trade in the iP6S that I've already paid $375 on and make $27/mo payments (for the base iP7 32GB) x 12 months until the iP8 is released. This is $325 for the iP7 + the $375 I've already paid on the iP6S (prior to trading it in) for a total of $700 over 24 months.

So Option #1 is $50 cheaper over a 24 month period than option #2 in my scenario where I plan to upgrade to the iP8 next year.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.