Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I just pre-ordered an iP7+ in rose gold, 128Gb from Verizon and I got the advertised $650 trade in for my iPhone 6 plus. It's a good deal considering the 6 Plus is a ticking time bomb. Anyhow, when I ordered it said that that phone would arrive by 9/16. But the order status still shows as "processing". I'll update back with a firm ship date when I have it.

This is a very smart deal by Verizon, imo. I wasn't going to upgrade but give me that much for the phone and I'll take it. It's basically a 2-year contract with how they've worked it. I know I take the risk of losing part of the value, but even if I only stay with VZW for another year, it still makes it worth it.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I can't find any terms and conditions page... The way it's worded in the offer makes your scenario more likely. Who knows. I already pre-ordered my phone the same way you did so I guess I'm stuck with that no matter what. Just wish it was clearer with the scenarios to upgrade in a year.

"$649.99 on device payment req'd. Less $650 credit over 24 months with trade in of qualified iPhone. Credits begin 2-3 bill cycles & end when balance paid or line canceled. 0% APR."

Yeah, they want you to be on another 2 year device payment plan and that's what they've linked the $650 credit to. Since they've done away with contracts, I just don't see how any other scenario would be profitable for them.

They can't just hand you a check for $650 for your old phone AND give you a brand new $650 iP7 for free (with no commitments whatsoever). You are on a 24-month payment plan which still has a monthly payment associated with it (on paper) so that if/when you upgrade your phone or leave Verizon, you have some kind of financial obligation tied to that iP7.

That's how I see it anyway. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding this $650 promotion and failing to do the math properly. Verizon isn't giving people something for nothing.

Reactions: jcoop269

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Is the 2GB bonus automatic with every upgrade using the "L" (8gb) plan only if you purchase through Verison? Or, does this bonus apply regardless of where you purchase?

I went through the pre-order process for a 7 upgrade through the Apple site (i.e. 3am ish) this morning using the Apple Upgrade Plan. I currently have a 6 plus and am on the more everything plan (10GB). As I was going through the process (on the Apple site) one message stated that your data plan will remain the same. I'm not currently on the "L" plan and it looks like there is not way to switch to it during the upgrade process at Apple. Just curious if I'll be "auto-switched" to the "L" plan (i.e. Since it's closest to my current plan in terms of GB) and if so, will the 2GB bonus apply?

I did hit a snag during the process with Apple: "We can't reach your carrier system to process your order, but have reserved an iPhone for you.....for pickup on Sept 16.....We'll e-mail you when it's time to proceed....". I did get the follow-up e-mail this morning and have till Saturday to compete the order for pickup on the 16th.

So, I have time to back out of the order if I need to go through another "channel" to make the upgrade in order to get the 2GB bonus data. Just curious if anyone knows how this works in my situation?
Just called Verison and got some info around this....others might be interested to know also:

To get the 2gb bonus, you first have to be on the new "L" plan for example. Since I was on the "More Everything" plan, the bonus would not apply. So, we switched me over to the "L" plan. Even after doing this though, they could only say that there is a possibility of getting the 2GB bonus applied if I upgrade to the 7. When I first asked about the 2GB bonus for those on the "L" plan and upgrading to a 7, they didn't know anything about it. After putting me on hold and doing some research, they came back and said that yes, there is a promotion going on and there is a "possibility" that I'd get the 2GB bonus data if I upgraded, but only if I was on the "L" plan when I upgraded. Hum?

Now the new "L" plan they switched me to doesn't kick in till next month, so even more speculative that if I upgrade "now" to the 7 that I'd get the 2gb data bonus. Probably safer to wait till next month I guess!

ksujoel

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2015
Kansas
It matters on the area you live in if you will get UPS or Fed Ex.

I am like a lot of you. Verizon website was down and finally got my order in. Email for order showed up at 3:30am from verizon. Ordered the Iphone7+ black 256g. I am very upset with verizon not having the website ready to go for this. Praying right now it comes on the 16th. I didn't wake up at 2:50 in the morning just to get a phone a week late.

Kept seeing posts that some were able to order before designated time on the app, the VZW site kept redirecting me to a link to put in my email to be notified when the phone becomes available, finally got in about 2:10am but ship dates had already slipped to 9/23. Not happy with Verizon either, their website is wonky and not easy to navigate at times. Hoping my ship date moves to 9/16. If not, then it'll be here when it gets here.

co22

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Washington DC area
I just pre-ordered an iP7+ in rose gold, 128Gb from Verizon and I got the advertised $650 trade in for my iPhone 6 plus. It's a good deal considering the 6 Plus is a ticking time bomb. Anyhow, when I ordered it said that that phone would arrive by 9/16. But the order status still shows as "processing". I'll update back with a firm ship date when I have it.

Just curious, why is the 6 Plus a ticking time bomb? Yours in particular or all 6+?

FYI, I also ordered an IP7+ in rose gold, 256GB from Verizon. My order says arrive by 9/28.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Sigh. had my 7 in rose gold and my 7+ in matte black ordered by 03:10. 09/16 delivery. Something messed up and I only got confirmation on one $650 trade in, not 2.
Called Verizon and something in my account was totally borked. They showed a trade in, but not for the line i got confirmation on.
Only way to fix was to cancel the order and reorder....
Now I am at 09/28......
So much for getting up at 03:00....
I did get $25 for my trouble.....

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Just as another point of reference. Tried at 6:30am this morning. Originally ordered phone on more everything plan and paid $299 for the iP7-128gb black (w/ 9/16 delivery). Then I saw the $0 and +2gb data.

On the phone and online...

20 minutes later, my original order was cancelled and now I am on the 8gb L plan (don't see 2gb bonus yet). But, now my iP7-128gb black will be delivered on 9/23 (not terrible).

Another note, at 7:00 am this morning, the trade in value was still $220 for my 64gb IP6. After a few attempts, it then changed to $650 and is reflected on my order.
[doublepost=1473433486][/doublepost]
Just curious, why is the 6 Plus a ticking time bomb? Yours in particular or all 6+?

FYI, I also ordered an IP7+ in rose gold, 256GB from Verizon. My order says arrive by 9/28.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/23/iphone-6-6-plus-affected-by-touch-disease/

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

The gray-bar problem. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 6 Plus in 18 months because of it. Eventually this one will have it too, I need to get rid of it before it starts slowly degrading and I can't trade it in.

jaedre3

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Providence, RI
Kept seeing posts that some were able to order before designated time on the app, the VZW site kept redirecting me to a link to put in my email to be notified when the phone becomes available, finally got in about 2:10am but ship dates had already slipped to 9/23. Not happy with Verizon either, their website is wonky and not easy to navigate at times. Hoping my ship date moves to 9/16. If not, then it'll be here when it gets here.

zachy85

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Raleigh, NC
One thing I have been wondering--with the purchase plan, and an upgrade next year at this time, do we think we will loose the trade in credit (the $400 or $695 split over 24 months)?

jaedre3

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Providence, RI
same here... didnt get past that email page until about 3:40am and was able to order with ship date of the 28th smh... last year i had october ship date and 3 days before release it was updated to release day delivery... hoping the same happens again.

Reactions: Edge1978

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Always been FedEx from Verizon for me.
mixed, some fedex some ups

this was the WORST iPhone pre order yet... all websites down, the apps were all screwed royally - and WORST of all, some people here were ordering with the VZW app well before 3am ET due to some loophole!

also its total and insane BS the the4 JET BLACK was shipping 9/25 and beyond before 3am even hit.. what a bunch of ass

BUT, because this is now my sixth iPhone pre-order debacle, I can tell you it isn't worth getting angry.

let me sum it up: THIS IS PAR FOR THE COURSE, APPLE AND VZW WILL NEVER FIX IT

so no point i getting upset, verizon and apple usually ship for 9/16 no matter what your dates say or how many times you call the customer service reps, which, by the way, will tell you a different story every time you call because they are just as lost as we are.

for those who are new to this, trust me when i say that:

1. yes, you have every right to be mad, it was a total disaster as usual
2. getting angry about this, I've learned, does absolutely nothing
3. analyzing every single link, order status, rumor, and email shipping date is pointless - 9 to 1 odds you will receive your phone on 9.16.
4. these pre-order nightmares won't stop until we all boycott the pre orders and demand a better system, which will never happen, so unless you gonna organize an e-sit-in, just have to eat their crap and hope for the best.

i know the feeling of powerlessness stinks, but by this point I've done it so many times I'm pretty much 100% sure mine and most of your phones will come on release day so don't fret

Last edited:

Jdeck

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I somehow got into the business site at 2:58 and received my email confirmation showing an order date of 09/09/2016 03:01:00. My AppleiPhone 7 Plus 256GB Black shows a estimated delivery date of 9/23. I'm not sure what it said when I was ordering since I was clicking so fast. Hoping since I got in that early I'll be in the first round of shipments.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
So my Verizon status says this..

Pre-order number-- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Status-- We received your order and it is in process.
Expected ship date-- 09/23/2016

When it says expected SHIP date, does this mean it will be delivered, or they will actually go and send it out?

Cause my email says:

Order Date: 09/09/2016 Deliver By: 09/23/2016

My1stApple

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I never got a confirmation email. I can see the order on My Verizon though. It says processing with no delivery date, only "please check later" next to each phone. Is this normal?

lz80521

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Ordered 256G 7+ Black. The delivery date was just updated to 09/28 (orig. was 09/23).:(

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
I never got a confirmation email. I can see the order on My Verizon though. It says processing with no delivery date, only "please check later" next to each phone. Is this normal?

I have had no email in the past from verizon. Then one will show up a day or two later. Seems like email servers get back up or something. As long as order is showing on the account you should be good. You can always call a verizon rep and ask just to make sure.

My1stApple

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I've been wondering that as well.
Well, good to know I'm not the only one.
[doublepost=1473435261][/doublepost]
I have had no email in the past from verizon. Then one will show up a day or two later. Seems like email servers get back up or something. As long as order is showing on the account you should be good. You can always call a verizon rep and ask just to make sure.
Great. Thanks. It helps to know it has happened before.

azfalcons

Suspended
Sep 29, 2014
Valley of the sun
So my Verizon status says this..

Pre-order number-- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Status-- We received your order and it is in process.
Expected ship date-- 09/23/2016

When it says expected SHIP date, does this mean it will be delivered, or they will actually go and send it out?

Cause my email says:

Order Date: 09/09/2016 Deliver By: 09/23/2016

From my understanding it should be delivered on 09/23..like my order

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
One thing I have been wondering--with the purchase plan, and an upgrade next year at this time, do we think we will loose the trade in credit (the $400 or $695 split over 24 months)?

Yes, I do believe so. See my posts/theory on that starting 1-2 pages back.

doublex14

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
PA
Ordered from the Apple Store App at 3:19am EST. 128GB Black. Currently in "processing" and will deliver on launch day!

RansZ28

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Gilbert AZ
Yes, I do believe so. See my posts/theory on that starting 1-2 pages back.

Since the credit is monthly, you loose it at the time you upgrade. So my thought is $649, after 12 monthly payments, I owe $324.50. I then choose to pay VZW $324.50, sell the device to make my money back and go with whatever promotion they have at that time. In theory, I would not have paid any monies during the first 12 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.