Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
From Verizon's site (see the part in red I highlighted):

Purchase the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus on Device Payment and trade in a smartphone for up to $650.

• iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus for $650
  • iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, SE for $400
  • HTC One M9, LG G4 or V10, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ or Note 5 for $300
  • Droid Maxx 2 or Turbo 2, HTC One M8, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 or Note 4 for $200
  • Droid Maxx or Turbo, HTC One M7, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4 for $100
Trade must be in good working and cosmetic condition. New iPhone 7 / 7 Plus promotional trade-in credits issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after trade. Smartphone purchase must be made in a Verizon Wireless retail store or on www.verizonwireless.com. Your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus must remain active on a device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade-in promotional credits will stop. Limited time offer.
Question: I did that offer for the $650 credit by trading in my 6 plus, lets say after a year of payment's which consist of a $27 credit plus the additional $10 bucks or so out of pocket will i just have to pay what the balance is after, roughly half of what the phone cost in the beginning? About $450 bucks? I'll lose out on the remaining 12 months worth the credit, esentially getting about $325 for my trade, make sense?

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004

Purchase the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus on Device Payment and trade in a smartphone for up to $650.

• HTC One M9, LG G4 or V10, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ or Note 5 for $300
  • Droid Maxx 2 or Turbo 2, HTC One M8, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 or Note 4 for $200
Trade must be in good working and cosmetic condition. New iPhone 7 / 7 Plus promotional trade-in credits issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after trade. Smartphone purchase must be made in a Verizon Wireless retail store or on www.verizonwireless.com. Your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus must remain active on a device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade-in promotional credits will stop. Limited time offer.

That officially answers it and was my understanding as well.
The way I see it, it's a "Verizon pays for your phone as long as you keep it" plan. Even if I decide to get an iPhone 8 in a year, Verizon will have paid me $325 for my iPhone 6 - which is still a GREAT deal.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Damn, that $650 trade-in credit is really generous!

Meh, I dunno man. Having to be liked in to 24 months without upgrading isn't great, and if you change anything you have to pay them for the rest from whatever date you are at?

It seems kind of intractable, might do better selling independently and paying VZW the profits.

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
Can we ask for the guys that order with Apple and not Verizon website not to update on shipments. Reason i am asking this is Apple and Verizon shipments are handle different. Since this is focus on Veriz

Most of use will be back here next year for Iphone 8 lol (why i am here today for the iphone 7) If you do the math that will be $324 credits till you pay off the phone so you be able to upgrade to the iphone 8. While that's still higher then what they offer on my phone last night ($295) i think but it's not as good as deal as one would think.

Also read it could take 2-3 billing cycles for the credits to start so you could end up only getting $243 for the phone

Reactions: Sammypurple

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
My Verizon order email confirmation says "delivered by 9/16" but the order status page says "Expected ship date 9/16" Anyone know what to make of this?

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Meh, I dunno man. Having to be liked in to 24 months without upgrading isn't great, and if you change anything you have to pay them for the rest from whatever date you are at?

It seems kind of intractable, might do better selling independently and paying VZW the profits.

There's little downside to doing the trade-in with them. Even if you want an iPhone 8 next year, they will have paid you $325 for your iPhone 6. Which is better than anything on the market now. It boils down to this: Do you want to pay your monethly device payments, or do you want Verizon to pay your monthly device payments?

Reactions: davidgolfer

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
am i missing something but i looked on the VZ site and for the different blacks it seems you can get it faster then apples November estimate...

kingdf

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2014
United States
I'm fine with the trade in deal because I upgrade my phone at least after 2 years of owning it. So i'll most likely be skipping the next one for sure just like I skipped the 6s+ after having my 6+ since launch day and skipping the 5 and 5S after having my 4S for over 2 years.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Can someone clarify when do you have to send in your trade-in? Is it 30 days after receiving the new iPhone 7, or 30 days period. A snapshot of someone's order confirmation in an earlier post, said 30 days after receiving the new phone, but others are saying just 30 days.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
I'm attempting to preorder through Verizon now and I see the $650 trade in for my 6+. The thing is if I order the 7+ now it says it won't deliver till next month. I'm assuming I can keep my 6+ until I get the 7+ then trade it in for $650? Is that correct?
Correct, you ship it within 30 days of getting your 7, I upgraded this morning and received an email a short time ago stating that

JEboomin

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
So I ordered a Jet Black Plus 128gb with an initial ship date of 10/5, received the confirmation email at around 2:06 AM Central. A few hours later the ship date moved up to 9/23.

I just got off the phone with a rep to change my shipping address from my home to the office and I asked her if this would at all delay the process. She said "No, your phone is still set to arrive to you on the 16th".

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Can someone clarify when do you have to send in your trade-in? Is it 30 days after receiving the new iPhone 7, or 30 days period. A snapshot of someone's order confirmation in an earlier post, said 30 days after receiving the new phone, but others are saying just 30 days.
Yes 30 days from getting the 7

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
So - I ordered as soon as the site came online last night. 128 GB Apple Jet Black on VZW.com. Said estimated ship date was 10/5. Status showing 10/5. The CRAZY thing is you can go to Vzw.com right now and buy the same phone and it delivers by 9/23? What in the ?! They better not be pushing out these orders by "what date they gave" and be shipping first come first serve. I can imagine them inflating the numbers so people stop ordering as a safety net then the next day putting them down so more customers can get them.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I cant wait to have my beauty in my hand - I took the 16th off as my weekend work rotation in lieu of date- My order says 9/28 because of course I had to the 7 plus jet black in 256 gb.

I was undecided until 5 mins before the preorders began what color I wanted - I figure if jet black is not for me it will easier to find the matte/flat in a store than the LIMITED jet black.

I use clear cases and my devices so they still look new and I am a yearly upgrader - I probably wont end up exchanging it.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Following up on what I posted from Verizon, here is an article from the Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/9/12...verizon-sprint-tmobile-are-two-year-contracts

Basically describes it as a 2-year contract.

BTW - got my confirmation email at 3:23 AM this morning. Ordered 7+ Black 128GB and 7+ Silver 128GB. Deliver by date is 9/28.

Hoping I get it earlier only because we are going away on the 26th! :eek:
I'd agree to a point. At least if a bad ass phone comes out a year from now you can pay off the balance on the 7 to get the new one, cant do that on a contract, other than than its about the same. I look at it like verizon is paying 90% of my device payment by trading in my 6 plus as long as i keep it, either way they are getting there money one way or the other, I just like the idea of being able to pay off the balance of the phone a year from now to get the new iphone, I can than sell it outright or trade it in since its paid off :)

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
My Verizon order email confirmation says "delivered by 9/16" but the order status page says "Expected ship date 9/16" Anyone know what to make of this?

That is how VZW's order screens/emails are every year. The order status screen always says Est. Ship Date of... that is when you are estimated to actually get the phone.

My brief hesitation to double check my order before hitting confirm this morning pushed me into the 9/23 timeframe. Oh well.

Reactions: utsava

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Correct, you ship it within 30 days of getting your 7, I upgraded this morning and received an email a short time ago stating that

Great. I went with the jet black then....By the time I get the new phone, I will also be free and clear of my contract with AT&T. I didn't port my number in during the pre-order process. Anybody know if that will cause a complication when I do that after I receive my new phone? Also, I saw the 2GB promotion during the order process, but the final confirmation didn't mention it explicitly? Did I lose it because I did the trade-in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.