Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iketeru

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
If I ordered two phones: a jet black 7 and a matte black 7+ will Verizon hold the 7+ til the jet black is in stock to complete the order? Or do they ship them as they are available?
wondering the same, ordered two phones with delivery dates of 9/16 and 9/23, but in the order status page, it only shows one shipment as "shipment #1"..

davidgolfer

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
Top of my email says 12GB + 4GB but I signed up for 3 lines. Isn't it supposed to be 2GB per line? I thought I would get total of 18GB for 3 lines. Anyone else see this?
[doublepost=1473443766][/doublepost]
Same here. What time did you order? I have a feeling some of these 9/23 orders might push to delivery day. We will see.
Mine says 9/23 I ordered around 6:30am central time this morning

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
If you go and look at the 7 Plus as a new customer as if you were gonna buy it, it says that the 128gb black will deliver by 9/16...32gb by 9/28. Those could be outdated numbers, but just interesting. Jet black 128gb says by 10/5.

Lostboy500

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I've been on the legacy "MORE everything" plan for a while since I had an upgrade to use, I used it yesterday to get an iPhone 7 plus. Can I now move to the "new Verizon" plan (which is about $25 cheaper)? I read somewhere that I would still have to pay the $40 line access fee (for one line) since I just used my upgrade and need to offset the subsidy for my phone vs. the $20 of the new plan, which would basically even out the pricing between the plans. When I go through the steps to change my plans the website (without hitting confirm) it does not reflect the higher line fee. I want to make sure this is the case as once I switch there is no going back to the the "MORE" plan. If it matters, I'm not on a payment plan and paid for my phone in full with the upgrade. Thx for the help in advance.

Also any chance we get our Jet Black phones before the quoted 10/5 delivery date? I know in the past Apple has surprised us by delivering them earlier than expected. Fingers crossed

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hello all, New to the forums.

Referring to Verizons trade in deal. Correct me if I am wrong but this seems like a no brainer in my situation.

Currently we have two Iphone 6 paid off(bought on 2 year contract). At this point, my monthly payment before taxes(including employee discount) is $112/month for 2 gigs and unlimited talk/text.

If I go with this deal it looks like I will pay $75/ month for the same amount a data w/ rollover and the new iphone 7 payments will be negated by the trade in credit every month.

The other route I was looking at was to stick with a 2 year contract and buy them at 199 and sell the 6's on ebay to recoupe the costs. But I would still be looking at the higher monthly payment for the same amount a data by sticking with a contract style.

Am I missing something here or is it not too good to be true to upgrade to the iphone 7 "free" and lower my payment by roughly $37/ month on my plan?????

Thanks for the input

Jon

Reactions: utsava

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
I've been on the legacy "MORE everything" plan for a while since I had an upgrade to use, I used it yesterday to get an iPhone 7 plus. Can I now move to the "new Verizon" plan (which is about $25 cheaper)? I read somewhere that I would still have to pay the $40 line access fee (for one line) since I just used my upgrade and need to offset the subsidy for my phone vs. the $20 of the new plan, which would basically even out the pricing between the plans. When I go through the steps to change my plans the website (without hitting confirm) it does not reflect the higher line fee. I want to make sure this is the case as once I switch there is no going back to the the "MORE" plan. If it matters, I'm not on a payment plan and paid for my phone in full with the upgrade. Thx for the help in advance.

Also any chance we get our Jet Black phones before the quoted 10/5 delivery date? I know in the past Apple has surprised us by delivering them earlier than expected. Fingers crossed

The line access fee for the "New Plan" is only $20, so it sounds like you are going to be saving some money.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
There's little downside to doing the trade-in with them. Even if you want an iPhone 8 next year, they will have paid you $325 for your iPhone 6. Which is better than anything on the market now. It boils down to this: Do you want to pay your monethly device payments, or do you want Verizon to pay your monthly device payments?

actually you are doing your math wrong,

you pay them 650 or so to start, so if you end early after they have paid you 325, then you have basically paid them 325 dollars, not the other way around. Then you also have to pay for whatever you phone you upgrade to. So, at best, you've paid 325 for the iPhone 7, which is more than the 199 subsidized, plus you have to pay for a new phone as well. It really doesn't pay unless u keep it for 24 months. PLUS the payments don't start for 2-3 months so not only is it 24 months but its basically 27 months in reality, which puts you 3 months after the new release of whatever iPhone it is that year (or more), or you eat 3 payments to upgrade at release. The ONLY people this makes sense for is people like my non-techy friend who upgrades his phones once every 4-5 years or so.

This really isn't a great deal, you guys need to analyze it more. Think about this - WOULD THEY DO IT IF THEY WEREN'T MAKING MONEY?

I URGE anyone who is thinking of the "free iPhone 7" trade in to read and consider this first. Make an informed decision.

(see below)

"$649.99 device payment purchase req’d. Less $649.99 trade-in credit applied to account over 24 mos; credit begins in 2-3 bill cycles & ends when balance paid; 0% APR. Line must be active for 2 yrs. for full credit. "

*edit: the payment to verizon of the 649 may be inaccurate as per these forums. Unfortunately it still doesn't change the fact that this is only a "GOOD" deal for those who will keep their phones 27 months or so. Otherwise it's a wash, at best.

Last edited:

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Try and change your data plan online. You should be able to back date it to the start of this cycle. I'm not sure if you will have to re-order the phone, but my guess is yes.

The 2GB bonus is a promotion that you can only get if you are on a "L" plan or larger. Once you are on that plan, any new phone purchase should add 2GB per line per month for as long as you have a L plan or larger.
When I called, I asked if there was an end date on the promotion, but there is not, so they can end it at any time.
[doublepost=1473442726][/doublepost]

I'm not so sure they will. I changed mine a few hours before, just to be sure and it went through without a problem.
[doublepost=1473442763][/doublepost]

Yes, the same thing happened to my 256G 7+ black order.
Thanks....will give it a try!

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Hello all, New to the forums.

Referring to Verizons trade in deal. Correct me if I am wrong but this seems like a no brainer in my situation.

Currently we have two Iphone 6 paid off(bought on 2 year contract). At this point, my monthly payment before taxes(including employee discount) is $112/month for 2 gigs and unlimited talk/text.

If I go with this deal it looks like I will pay $75/ month for the same amount a data w/ rollover and the new iphone 7 payments will be negated by the trade in credit every month.

The other route I was looking at was to stick with a 2 year contract and buy them at 199 and sell the 6's on ebay to recoupe the costs. But I would still be looking at the higher monthly payment for the same amount a data by sticking with a contract style.

Am I missing something here or is it not too good to be true to upgrade to the iphone 7 "free" and lower my payment by roughly $38/ month on my plan?????

Thanks for the input

Jon

I would check and see if changing plans will cause you do lose your 2 year contract at $199 option. If not, then I would say you are going to save some money. Perhaps not a full $38 after taxes and fees, but you should save.
The only hiccup with the trade in option is that it takes 2-3 months before you see the credit and then it will be there for 24 months. This could throw you off the ability to upgrade phones right at 2 years. I would look at what iphone 6's of comparable storage size are selling for on ebay. Don't forget to deduct 13% for fees from ebay, unless you are a regular seller. And the resale market is going to be flooded with 6's. You may want to consider craigslist or another private sale option.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

I am in the same situation as you. Coming off a contract style with the more everything plan. Looked at this 10 different ways on their site. Seems if you arent making the payments on a phone you will be stuck with the $40/ month access fee which doesnt really lower your monthly cost. It does seem to however for me if you see my post right below this post...

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
actually you are doing your math wrong,

you pay them 650 or so to start, so if you end early after they have paid you 325, then you have basically paid them 325 dollars, not the other way around. Then you also have to pay for whatever you phone you upgrade to. So, at best, you've paid 325 for the iPhone 7, which is more than the 199 subsidized, plus you have to pay for a new phone as well. It really doesn't pay unless u keep it for 24 months. PLUS the payments don't start for 2-3 months so not only is it 24 months but its basically 27 months in reality, which puts you 3 months after the new release of whatever iPhone it is that year (or more), or you eat 3 payments to upgrade at release. The ONLY people this makes sense for is people like my non-techy friend who upgrades his phones once every 4-5 years or so.

This really isn't a great deal, you guys need to analyze it more. Think about this - WOULD THEY DO IT IF THEY WEREN'T MAKING MONEY?

I URGE anyone who is thinking of the "free iPhone 7" trade in to read and consider this first. Make an informed decision.

(see below)

"$649.99 device payment purchase req’d. Less $649.99 trade-in credit applied to account over 24 mos; credit begins in 2-3 bill cycles & ends when balance paid; 0% APR. Line must be active for 2 yrs. for full credit. "

Where does it say that you must pay for the device in full $650 to start ? You can pay it in 24 months.
Also, for many customers a 2 year subsidized phone at $199 is not an option.
I do agree about the 3 month lag, thereby causing you to lose the 3 months of credit if you want to upgrade right at 24 months.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I would check and see if changing plans will cause you do lose your 2 year contract at $199 option. If not, then I would say you are going to save some money. Perhaps not a full $38 after taxes and fees, but you should save.
The only hiccup with the trade in option is that it takes 2-3 months before you see the credit and then it will be there for 24 months. This could throw you off the ability to upgrade phones right at 2 years. I would look at what iphone 6's of comparable storage size are selling for on ebay. Don't forget to deduct 13% for fees from ebay, unless you are a regular seller. And the resale market is going to be flooded with 6's. You may want to consider craigslist or another private sale option.

my 2 year contract is up so im free to upgrade phones and change plans(I was able to change plans before, just never looked into it). I hear you on the 2-3 month wait for it to start which will probably delay my 2 year upgrade. But roughly saving 37 a month is 912 over two years so I could take that savings to worry about the 2 or 3 month difference at the end. I have always done the every two year thing with selling on ebay which basically made me come up even in the end. But this seems better considering my monthly bill will go down so much and I won't have to deal with shipping out ebay sales and stuff...plus if I wanted to for a little over 4$ a month i could get the 128gb model which is very tempting

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
So I have read several responses, but just to clarify. if you trade it in, you get the iPhone credit at the start, but are still billed over 24 months correct?

Norsk

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
Same here. What time did you order? I have a feeling some of these 9/23 orders might push to delivery day. We will see.

I think 3:15-3:20am, I cant remember. Well, I hope so! But if mine doesnt appear to be shipping, I am heading to Verizon Store and find out if they have the exact phone in stock, I will get it and cancel my pre-order. I have done that few times, it all work out fine.

zachy85

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Like some others here, I got the shipping email from VZ and got so excited. Then I looked closer and its the box for the trade in. At this rate it might arrive before the 7+!

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Where does it say that you must pay for the device in full $650 to start ? You can pay it in 24 months.
Also, for many customers a 2 year subsidized phone at $199 is not an option.
I do agree about the 3 month lag, thereby causing you to lose the 3 months of credit if you want to upgrade right at 24 months.

that quote at the bottom of my post were the details posted to me actually on this forum, if those are inaccurate then the deal is certainly more attractive but EVEN if you are trading in a pristine iPhone 7 thats 350 dollars minimum (as per eBay) that you can get for it, so if you bail out a year in, then you are basically AT BEST getting a wash. Combined with the extra 2-3 months you'll have to eat or get your new p hone late, its still not an "AWESOME" deal as some claim. Its an OK deal at best, and I just don't think it's great for early adopters like us.

Once again, my point remains valid, you have to stay in for two years for the deal to be any kind of a good deal.

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I got 7+ 128 gig matte black. It's "deliver by" date to my Verizon store is 10/5. Wonder how legit that date is and if it could happen earlier. Anyone with past experience doing it this way, live to hear from you.

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
So I have read several responses, but just to clarify. if you trade it in, you get the iPhone credit at the start, but are still billed over 24 months correct?

From what I have read and received from verizon customer service rep. You either buy the new phone outright or over 24 payments. Send in your trade-in phone and within 2-3 billing cycles (months), you will start to receive the $27 credit to your account for the next 24 months.
[doublepost=1473445462][/doublepost]
that quote at the bottom of my post were the details posted to me actually on this forum, if those are inaccurate then the deal is certainly more attractive but EVEN if you are trading in a pristine iPhone 7 thats 350 dollars minimum (as per eBay) that you can get for it, so if you bail out a year in, then you are basically AT BEST getting a wash.

Once again, my point remains valid, you have to stay in for two years for the deal to be any kind of a good deal.

I agree. If you are looking to upgrade after a year, it's not a good deal. If you are okay with having the same phone for 27 months before upgrading, then it's a good deal.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
From what I have read and received from verizon customer service rep. You either buy the new phone outright or over 24 payments. Send in your trade-in phone and within 2-3 billing cycles (months), you will start to receive the $27 credit to your account for the next 24 months.
[doublepost=1473445462][/doublepost]

I agree. If you are looking to upgrade after a year, it's not a good deal. If you are okay with having the same phone for 27 months before upgrading, then it's a good deal.

ill edit my OP to reflect the payment detail may not be accurate. Don't want to misinform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.