Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg99

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I ordered a 7+ 128GB in Black this morning at about 3:20 ET. Confirmation says "Deliver By 9/23/2016." Order status says "Expected ship date: 9/23/2016" - I'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.

But the reason for posting is that I'm grandfathered into unlimited data, so I continued my existing plan under a Device Payment Agreement. I don't recall having been given the option to trade in my existing 6+ phone. Is that because I wasn't signing up for one of the current plans?

Greg

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Well. Best Buy still had some 7+ in black for launch day delivery and pick up. I went ahead and cancelled my order through verizon and got in through best buy to pick up in my local store launch day.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
What I still want to know is can we still annual upgrade at 50% for free or are we now required to pay off the entire device? I honestly don't care if I get the entire $650 credit, I just want my damn iPhone 8 :D:D

I've asked this question to multiple Verizon reps and they've all said you can still upgrade after a year.

RansZ28

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Gilbert AZ
I mailed one in (once), and had no problems. But before mailing this one in, I think I'm going to walk into a store and see if they will accept it (I think they do, but not 100% sure).
The VZW corporate store in my hood said they would take trade-ins in the store and I would not need to ship. Again I get that things change, but fingers crossed that he was right.

Reactions: jmcunningham

lz80521

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Well. Best Buy still had some 7+ in black for launch day delivery and pick up. I went ahead and cancelled my order through verizon and got in through best buy to pick up in my local store launch day.
I don't see where it shows "pick up available on 09/16". It just says "release on 09/16". Do they mean same thing?

RansZ28

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Gilbert AZ
Verizon's fantastic deal- How can they do it???

I Ordered two iPhone 7 Plus, 128GB this morning.

Trading in an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 6 and getting $650 trade in value each; monthly credit of $27 each

Monthly cost for each new phone is $9 ($36.24 less $27) for 24 months

How is verizon getting subsidized???

What am I missing??

M

For me, they gained 6 new lines coming from AT&T. Cost of aquiring new customers. Also note that other carriers had deals very similar, and current VZW i'm sure where checking them out. Anything to gain and retain customers.
[doublepost=1473449161][/doublepost]
Have anyone been billed yet? I have 9/16 delivery but no charge.
I am new to VZW so I was given $0 down and $0 taxes, so I don't have to worry about billing for now!

Phineasgage1848

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2016
Due to a plan switch I had to place my order via phone last night. The rep that helped me said I would receive the device on release day, but my order is showing an estimated delivery of 10/05. I'm pretty sure 10/05 won't be the delivery date, and it's just a place holder date. Just my two cents for those that are concerned about any date other than 9/16. I ordered the 7 / 128gb / Jet Black.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
For me, they gained 6 new lines coming from AT&T. Cost of aquiring new customers. Also note that other carriers had deals very similar, and current VZW i'm sure where checking them out. Anything to gain and retain customers.
I am new to VZW so I was given $0 down and $0 taxes, so I don't have to worry about billing for now!

what am i missing? the plan itself costs money... we don't JUST pay for the phones. This whole exercise is an added cost. What is your plan cost?

you have to realize that before the last few years, WE DIDNT PAY A MONTHLY FEE FOR PHONES AT ALL, we paid 199 bucks. Now, verizon is making us pay MUCH more over the course of just a year. This is a WIN for them...

You can finagle the numbers all you want but if you upgrade after 12 months you are getting a wash at best, they've paid you 325 for your iPhone 6, and you now have to buy a NEW iPhone 8, which will probably be the same deal, where they give you trade in credit. At 12 months you've gotten 325 for your iPhone 6, you have an iPhone 7 that you've paid 325 for because you've lost the second half of your 650 credit. Then, if you trade in your iPhone 7 for an 8 deal, you've given verizon BACK the second half of your equity in the deal. Even if you make another deal, you've only moved verizon's money forward, you didn't gain anything but putting off your paying verizon the rest of what you owe them. The only real way to beat the deal is if you keep upgrading at 12 months until you die of too much cell phone radiation to the brain.

Personally I'm ok with it, but at least i realize I'm not getting any free lunch.

I know its complicated but again, I say, they wouldn't do it if it didn't benefit them.

P.S. How can they give you 0 Taxes? The taxes come from the government, not them, its a federal tax. Are you sure you don't mean they are charging you zero tax ON THE PHONE? Because I've never heard of a cell phone company absorbing the federal taxes, and especially not every month.

Last edited:

Bwrin1

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Indianapolis
Man how'd you get that, we just started up with new lines and are being charged taxes plus upgrade fees

M

Millertime1014

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
I'm sure this has been read and said before, but just wanted to share my personal experience with VZ.

I am currently a T-Mobile "Jump! On Demand" customer, I originally moved over from AT&T prior to TMo, and moved over to get their amazing deal on the 6S - stated that I could Jump 3x per year with a monthly fee of $20 (including a statement credit of $7) and downpayment of $99 for the Black, 64gb 6S.

In order to get the deal currently being offered by T-Mobile I had to buy out my lease agreement, the remaining monthly payments and the residual ($182), I currently have a few months left and that would come out to about $182.

The VZ deal is amazing, I have attached the promo forms I saw in the store with my rep. They will pay you $650 to get you as a customer, the phone is effectively $4 a month for the 24 months.

Seemed great, so I jumped on it.

Attachments

• IMG_7837.JPG
    IMG_7837.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_7838.JPG
    IMG_7838.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 238

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Due to a plan switch I had to place my order via phone last night. The rep that helped me said I would receive the device on release day, but my order is showing an estimated delivery of 10/05. I'm pretty sure 10/05 won't be the delivery date, and it's just a place holder date. Just my two cents for those that are concerned about any date other than 9/16. I ordered the 7 / 128gb / Jet Black.
I hope you are right about the "place holder date" thing. I finally got through to order at 3:15 Eastern last night, the same phone you ordered, and also have 10/05 as my "deliver by" date. The phone is a birthday gift for a 14 year old and she will be disappointed if she has to wait so long. And I will be disappointed that I screwed up my night's sleep for nothing.

Reactions: Phineasgage1848

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Does anyone know if the 2gb data bonus applies if you buy the phone from Target or Apple or whatever? Do you have to buy the phone from Verizon directly?

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
I don't see where it shows "pick up available on 09/16". It just says "release on 09/16". Do they mean same thing?
I called in and that's what they said. It said "available for pick up on release date" when I did the order.
It looks like it's changed now since

Tusk

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2004
Arkansas
How did everyone get verification of your $650 trade in? I went through the site and it offered my $650. I accepted it and went forward with buying the 7+. Got confirmation of the new purchase but have not received anything regarding the trade in.

segrobja

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
This is kinda confusing. I was on chat with Verizon and this sounds a little conflicting.

I am certain that this online chat "representatives" are just bots. Either that or they are just people with deplorable reading comprehension skills. I was talking with one early the morning after I pre ordered and asked "are you even a real person?" the response i got was "of course, I like tacos and sweet tea!", how does that justify one being an actual human?

Reactions: Sammypurple

Superheroboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2016
How did everyone get verification of your $650 trade in? I went through the site and it offered my $650. I accepted it and went forward with buying the 7+. Got confirmation of the new purchase but have not received anything regarding the trade in.

I got an email three minutes after my order confirmation, confirming that they were shipping a box for my old phone. Wait a few minutes and yours will come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.