Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onetoomanytoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
7+ 128GB Black (Matte)
Confirmation e-mail: 12:40AM PST (40 min after midnight)
Original Deliver Date By: 09/23/2016
*UPDATED on 09/15/2016* Current Expected Delivery Date: 09/16/2016
Delivered 09/16/2016!

Last edited:

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
I've been trying to get an answer from VZW all day on this. Apparently the 2gb bonus/line comes from upgrading to a new smartphone (and it's ONLY on that line that has an upgraded smartphone). It's not just a "given" 2gb bonus for selecting that plan.

That's what I've taken away from my two discussions with VZW today.
Thanks. Yes, this is very confusing. I'm on hold with Verizon now to speak to my 3rd Rep.

If I just log into Verizon Wireless and "attempt" to change my data plan from the current "more everything" to one of the new plans (i.e. For my existing 6plus), when I first click on "learn about the plans", it shows the picture I embedded in my last post (i.e. Showing the "L" plan as an 8GB +2GB bonus plan. There is no mention of it being associated only with an upgraded phone. So, very confusing.

In my previous 2 calls to Verizon today, both Rep's had to put me on hold when I asked if the "L" plan was juwhile they "researched I guess"
I've been trying to get an answer from VZW all day on this. Apparently the 2gb bonus/line comes from upgrading to a new smartphone (and it's ONLY on that line that has an upgraded smartphone). It's not just a "given" 2gb bonus for selecting that plan.

That's what I've taken away from my two discussions with VZW today.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, this is one confusing process;--)

I just got on my 3rd call of the day with Verizon and this time things actually look at bit better, but still confusing. They were able to work it in the system to make my "L" plan effective today instead of on Oct 7th (i.e. The start of my next billing cycle). So, my current plan (more everything) is prorated out for the remainder of the month and my new "L" plan (with 8 +2 bonus) is prorated starting today. So, I think I'm good to go with upgrading to a new phone.

Now here is the confusing part. The Verizon Rep that made all this happen told me that if I order the upgrade through Verizon (Device Payment Plan) I'd get the 2GB bonus on the new phon too once activated, but that if I went through Apple's Upgrade Plan the 2GB might not carry over to it. Hum?

I called back and spoke to another Rep (4th call of the day) and he told me that my account is all setup and active with the "L" plan with 8GB +2GB and that regardless of where I bought the upgrade, the 2GB bonus would not go away.

So, I'm just going to figure out which is the better deal: Upgrading through the Apple Upgrade Plan or through Verizon's Device Payment Plan with the $650 trade in for my 6+ prorated over 24 months. Either way, I fully anticipate that I'll only keep the phone for 1 year.....to upgrade to the 8.

Not sure which is the better way to go....but will decide today.

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Wow. I have not been able to get the 8+2 at all. And I upgraded from more everything this morning as well.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Wow. I have not been able to get the 8+2 at all. And I upgraded from more everything this morning as well.
I would keep calling back until you get somebody that is willing to jump through some hoops and get it done. I think I lucked out and found someone like that. The first person I spoke with just put in an order to update my more everything to the "L" and it was scheduled to take effect at the start of my next billing cycle. The other person I spoke with cancelled that "pending" order and worked back and forth with someone (i.e. Kept putting me on hold) until she was able to get my "L" update effective today. Somehow she did it and I'm all setup on the new plan. Got an e-mail and text that my plan had changed, etc...

I'm just going to go ahead with my iPhone 7 upgrade with the Apple Upgrade plan and trust that my 2GB bonus data will still be there. Since I'm going to upgrade to the 8 (almost certainly) within a year, the Apple Upgrade Plan just seems a bit easier....even though the Verizon trade in deal looks pretty good too.

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Are you able to cancel your order before it ships and go get it in a store?

You can, but run the risk of very limited store inventory.

In the past if you had an existing order, waited in line outside the store on release day then tried to buy it in the store, they said you couldn't buy it because you have an existing order. When they try to cancel the order, they say it can take up to 24 hours to clear the system, so you get stuck in limbo because they won't hold the phone for you. I've seen this happen to people on the last 3 releases, maybe this time it will be different ?

If you are going to gamble at the store, I would make sure that your order is cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the store opening.

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I am certain that this online chat "representatives" are just bots. Either that or they are just people with deplorable reading comprehension skills. I was talking with one early the morning after I pre ordered and asked "are you even a real person?" the response i got was "of course, I like tacos and sweet tea!", how does that justify one being an actual human?

Look up Interactive Text Response. It is being used a lot now, but it can be beneficial as a time saver.

benboy12

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014

I sent a message through Facebook to Verizon. They modified my plan for me and said the bonus data will show once I receive and activate my new phone. It was a lot easier than trying to call.

Sgt.ThroatPunch

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Alright all you financial gurus, here is a question for you. I preordered 2 7s, but they were upgrades and I was not quite at 50% paid off. I ended up paying about $120 between 2 phones to get them to 50%. Now, my Verizon bill is due before the phones arrive, so I will be paying the monthly fee on both older phones.

Does this mean I will be entitled to have those fees refunded for this month? Or is Verizon smart enough to reduce my preorder payment when the time comes, since nothing has been charged yet?

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I would keep calling back until you get somebody that is willing to jump through some hoops and get it done. I think I lucked out and found someone like that. The first person I spoke with just put in an order to update my more everything to the "L" and it was scheduled to take effect at the start of my next billing cycle. The other person I spoke with cancelled that "pending" order and worked back and forth with someone (i.e. Kept putting me on hold) until she was able to get my "L" update effective today. Somehow she did it and I'm all setup on the new plan. Got an e-mail and text that my plan had changed, etc...

I'm just going to go ahead with my iPhone 7 upgrade with the Apple Upgrade plan and trust that my 2GB bonus data will still be there. Since I'm going to upgrade to the 8 (almost certainly) within a year, the Apple Upgrade Plan just seems a bit easier....even though the Verizon trade in deal looks pretty good too.

Finally! Got the right rep who upgraded my plan to the 8+2gb plan.

For anyone interested, the promo code the rep enrolled me in is 83497.

I didn't get 4gb (2 lines), but at least we got the 2gb for my line. I'll see what happens after I get the new iPhone.

Reactions: DSTOFEL

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2008
I am checking around on the Verizon site. I am at the end of my 2 yr contract with my 2 previous ipihone 6. I went to upgrade, selected 2 iphone 7's (one 7 & one 7+). Selected the 8GB data. It comes out to $145/Mo

THEN, I did the same thing but opted to trade both in. It said both total up to $1300 or whatever. Everything else on the plane, etc same as above: $173/Mo.

What am I not getting because that makes NO sense.

Appreciate any insight.

rhwang11

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
어딜까?
When do you think physical ones will be on display at the apple store to go see? Im just really curious to see what the flush home button feels like and also the jet black color.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
When do you think physical ones will be on display at the apple store to go see? Im just really curious to see what the flush home button feels like and also the jet black color.

Typically release day (next friday). I'd be surprised if it was any earlier than that.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
So, I think I misread the fine print with the 2GB per line promotion. I am a new customer, so I ordered a new iPhone 7 on the Verizon payment plan, with the 12GB option. I assume that line will get the 2GB promotion. I'm also going to be bringing 3 other devices and adding them to the plan once I get my iphone 7. Do those other 3 phones get the 2GB promotion? The wording says, with new smartphone activation, but now that I read it, it's only smartphone activations that are on the Verizon payment plan. Can someone clarify?

SolidBrixStudio

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Richmond, VA
Exactly the same for me...

Same. Placed my order for my 7 Plus 256Gb in Jet Black at 3:15am EST last night, 9/28 ship date.

Also, I would like to thank everyone in this forum, I've been reading everyones responses since Pre-Orders began last night. Its nice knowing your not the only one who's frustrated with all these delays were getting from Verizon. Then again, I think most of us are happy were getting our phones before November *cough Apple cough cough*

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Thought I'd share some thoughts from buying iPhones straight through Verizon for years.

Normally if you get in in the first 30 minutes your phone will arrive on launch day. Anything after the first 30 minutes no guarantee. If you completed your order before the first 30 minutes even if your delivery date shows next month I've never had an issue with getting my phone the day of launch. Verizon is spitting out broad estimates on the order status page the vast majority of the time.

Bonus data gets activated once you turn on your phone. They will tell you on the phone that the bonus data is only for that one specific device but it always shows up as general "bonus data" in my data usage screen.

Next, be very very careful with the allure of the way T-Mobile and Sprint structure their deals. My friend got his iPhone 6s Plus with Jump On Demand at launch last year, and was told he wouldn't have an issue jumping up without much issue, and thats after paying $200-300 as an "initial payment" last year. Last night he got a message saying to use Jump On Demand (which costs $20 extra) he'd have to pay $150 to jump. On the other hand with Verizon we jumped from 6s Plus to 7 Plus for two lines for $80 (because our last bill had the last payment for the year to get the free up). I'll take that all day.

Lastly, if you have a single line and no devices T-Mobile and Sprint have very interesting offers. The moment you start adding things in you'll get nailed. We have 3 iPhones, and 4 iPads on our account with Verizon. We'd be paying about the same thing with T-Mobile if we switched. I've done the math every which way I can because I like my money in my pocket. Math doesn't work out.

Hopefully all of this useful. I was very close to making the switch to T-Mobile this year but on the $$$ and reliability I couldn't justify the potential trade off.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Got the wife Rose gold 7 w/128gb and myself gold 7 w/128. Coming from always getting base model 16gb its going to be nice to quit worrying about space thats for sure and for a monthly payment DECREASE of roughly 37 before taxes and my employee discount come into play...cant beat that.. trading our two 16gb iphone 6's.. pretty much a no brainer if you ask me.

almost got jet black but delivery wasn't until oct 18 and I decided I want a white front this time instead of black..was a tough decision though!

Reactions: Olivia23

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
same here. we traded my wife's iPhone 6 in for the $650 credit. I just hope we get her iPhone 7 before they expect her iPhone 6 shipped back.

I noticed that they slipped that offer in real late so I didn't have a chance to really consider that offer. If I could have traded in my 6 for $650, I could have bought a NEW SE to hand down to the person I am handing down the 6, and came out ahead as long as I stayed with Verizon for 18 months or so :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I JUST ordered the Black 128GB version (Friday 9/9 at 6pm CST) and have a delivery date of 9/23. Only 1 week later? No biggie.

Also taking advantage of the $650 trade in offer (for my 6GB iPhone 6), so the 128GB variant is only costing me an extra $4/mo. on my bill.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Woke up at 3am EST and the site wasn't up for sale yet. So, I went back to sleep and woke up at 4am EST. Went online and the store was up. Bought a 128GB Silver iPhone Plus and it's arriving on the 19th. Picking it up from the store at 9am :)

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I didn't consider the Apple Upgrade program because they lump in the cost of AppleCare, making it aroud $5+ more expensive a month. AppleCare is something I've never had the need to use in almost ten years of owning iPhones.

I had to replace the battery on my 6 this last summer. If I had had Applecare on the phone it might have been free. But the cost was less than AppleCare would have cost :)

Reactions: utsava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.