Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
From what I have read and received from verizon customer service rep. You either buy the new phone outright or over 24 payments. Send in your trade-in phone and within 2-3 billing cycles (months), you will start to receive the $27 credit to your account for the next 24 months.
[doublepost=1473445462][/doublepost]

I agree. If you are looking to upgrade after a year, it's not a good deal. If you are okay with having the same phone for 27 months before upgrading, then it's a good deal.

I wonder if you get then next iPhone if the credit goes away? thats what i am worried about.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I ordered the 128GB Verizon iPhone7 in Black using Apple's no interest financing and the "delivers by" date is 9/16. I guess I got lucky and nabbed a model that isn't in high demand. If I decide to nab the 7+ or the 8 this time next year, my no interest payments will have become lease payments. If I want the 2017 model badly enough I guess I won't mind. If I stick with what I ordered (around 1pm eastern) today, I will have paid no more than I would pay if I walked into an Apple store on 9/16 and bought one with AppleCare+.

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
I wonder if you get then next iPhone if the credit goes away? thats what i am worried about.

According to Verizon csr, if you get a new phone within the 24 months the credit is being applied, then yes the credit goes away. Not so good if you want the next iphone.

rvvisse

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Where does it say that you must pay for the device in full $650 to start ? You can pay it in 24 months.
Also, for many customers a 2 year subsidized phone at $199 is not an option.
I do agree about the 3 month lag, thereby causing you to lose the 3 months of credit if you want to upgrade right at 24 months.

After calling customer service, they stated you will get a lump sum on month 3 for the first two months and the third month. No lag! Yay!

Reactions: utsava

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
image.png
Try and change your data plan online. You should be able to back date it to the start of this cycle. I'm not sure if you will have to re-order the phone, but my guess is yes.

Thanks again for your help. You know what's odd? When I log into Verison Wireless and view all of their existing data plans, it shows (see image). It looks as if I decided to stay with my 6Plus (for example) and just changed my data plan from the current "more everything - 10GB" plan to the "L" plan that I'd be switched to the 8GB + 2GB bonus plan. This is actually the pending order that I have into Verizon now.

If this is true, then I'm not getting why I couldn't just delete the pending order to change my data plan, upgrade to the 7 which I'd get on Sept 19 and it would be setup under my existing "More Everything" plan and then just make the data plan change to the "L" which should get me to 8GB + 2GB bonus. For their site, it looks like the 2GB bonus is part of the standard "L" plan.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the Verzion site that the 2GB bonus (for the "L" plan) is part of a promotional offer that's only good for upgrades. Am I missing something simple?

Note: The "Limited time" offer phrase in the picture actually refers to an offer on the 12GB plan which I cut off"

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
After calling customer service, they stated you will get a lump sum on month 3 for the first two months and the third month. No lag! Yay!

That certainly takes it from being a negative deal minimum, to being a wash minimum. If you are going to upgrade in 12 months anyway though, why not consider Apple Upgrade? Thats what me and my wife are trying this time, and you get applecare+ for any accidents. It actually works out to be pretty decently priced and 0% interest.

The potential downside of Apple Upgrade is that you have to schedule a store pickup for your upgrade, which is not that great if you only have one apple store in the area. If they are out of stock or only have one color, you are stuck. Fortunately we have 4 stores in the area.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
I ordered my iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black 256GB through the business website and got my confirmation email at 12:29 am Pacific. It says:

Status Awaiting Inventory
Delivered By Date 09/28/2016

I think thats as good as it gets for that model?

I'm also on a business account and ordered that exact same phone. Where do you see that status? In the confirmation email? I don't see anywhere in my email where it has a status.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I was going to order this if it was a big lump payment, then the immediate credit, cause thats a win win, but ill just wait until the next one.

tommy3691

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Ordered iPhone 7 plus 128gb around 3:56 and order is still processing. Anybody know if you can change the shipping address?

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Verizon's fantastic deal- How can they do it???

I Ordered two iPhone 7 Plus, 128GB this morning.

Trading in an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 6 and getting $650 trade in value each; monthly credit of $27 each

Monthly cost for each new phone is $9 ($36.24 less $27) for 24 months

How is verizon getting subsidized???

What am I missing??

M

Yep, exactly. I wasn't going to order an iP7, but I just checked Verizon on a whim today b/c someone said that it was easier to order through them, the $650 trade-in figure came up and it let me place the order. I thought it was going to error out at some point, but it went right through. So I'm like, ok! I'm down with that!

Reactions: beaver82

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Hello all, New to the forums.

Referring to Verizons trade in deal. Correct me if I am wrong but this seems like a no brainer in my situation.

Currently we have two Iphone 6 paid off(bought on 2 year contract). At this point, my monthly payment before taxes(including employee discount) is $112/month for 2 gigs and unlimited talk/text.

If I go with this deal it looks like I will pay $75/ month for the same amount a data w/ rollover and the new iphone 7 payments will be negated by the trade in credit every month.

The other route I was looking at was to stick with a 2 year contract and buy them at 199 and sell the 6's on ebay to recoupe the costs. But I would still be looking at the higher monthly payment for the same amount a data by sticking with a contract style.

Am I missing something here or is it not too good to be true to upgrade to the iphone 7 "free" and lower my payment by roughly $37/ month on my plan?????

Thanks for the input

Jon

This is almost exactly the situation I'm in and it's really a no brainer. Save ~$37 a month and get two new iPhone 7s.

rvvisse

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
According to Verizon csr, if you get a new phone within the 24 months the credit is being applied, then yes the credit goes away. Not so good if you want the next iphone.

Here's my math. IP7+ 128GB $870 ......what if I want the IP8+ a year from now?

I spend $9.16 a month for 12 months = $109.92

My rebate will have given me a $325 discount, and I will then need to buyout the remaining cost of the phone ($435.08)
$870 - (109.92 + 325) = $435.08

I now own a phone, that's likely worth about $550 or so if I want to sell it. I have spent $545 (109.92 + 435.08) so far.

So you're telling me, I can trade in my 6+, get a 7+, and sell it... and come out even? Where do I sign? =D

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004

Why is it not so good? If I traded/sold in my iPhone 6 now, I'd get between $180-$220 for it and be paying a full ~$30 a month for the new iPhone. If I decide to get the iPhone 8 next year, Verizon will have given me $325 over 12 months.
[doublepost=1473446463][/doublepost]
Here's my math. IP7+ 128GB $870 ......what if I want the IP8+ a year from now?

I spend $9.16 a month for 12 months = $109.92

My rebate will have given me a $325 discount, and I will then need to buyout the remaining cost of the phone ($435.08)
$870 - (109.92 + 325) = $435.08

I now own a phone, that's likely worth about $550 or so if I want to sell it. I have spent $545 (109.92 + 435.08) so far.

So you're telling me, I can trade in my 6+, get a 7+, and sell it... and come out even? Where do I sign? =D
If you stick with Verizon, you don't have to buy it out, right? You can just return it to Verizon and upgrade as long as you've paid off 50% of the phone.

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
View attachment 649666

Thanks again for your help. You know what's odd? When I log into Verison Wireless and view all of their existing data plans, it shows (see image). It looks as if I decided to stay with my 6Plus (for example) and just changed my data plan from the current "more everything - 10GB" plan to the "L" plan that I'd be switched to the 8GB + 2GB bonus plan. This is actually the pending order that I have into Verizon now.

If this is true, then I'm not getting why I couldn't just delete the pending order to change my data plan, upgrade to the 7 which I'd get on Sept 19 and it would be setup under my existing "More Everything" plan and then just make the data plan change to the "L" which should get me to 8GB + 2GB bonus. For their site, it looks like the 2GB bonus is part of the standard "L" plan.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the Verzion site that the 2GB bonus (for the "L" plan) is part of a promotional offer that's only good for upgrades. Am I missing something simple?

Note: The "Limited time" offer phrase in the picture actually refers to an offer on the 12GB plan which I cut off"

I've been trying to get an answer from VZW all day on this. Apparently the 2gb bonus/line comes from upgrading to a new smartphone (and it's ONLY on that line that has an upgraded smartphone). It's not just a "given" 2gb bonus for selecting that plan.

That's what I've taken away from my two discussions with VZW today.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
actually you are doing your math wrong,

you pay them 650 or so to start, so if you end early after they have paid you 325, then you have basically paid them 325 dollars, not the other way around. Then you also have to pay for whatever you phone you upgrade to. So, at best, you've paid 325 for the iPhone 7, which is more than the 199 subsidized, plus you have to pay for a new phone as well. It really doesn't pay unless u keep it for 24 months. PLUS the payments don't start for 2-3 months so not only is it 24 months but its basically 27 months in reality, which puts you 3 months after the new release of whatever iPhone it is that year (or more), or you eat 3 payments to upgrade at release. The ONLY people this makes sense for is people like my non-techy friend who upgrades his phones once every 4-5 years or so.

This really isn't a great deal, you guys need to analyze it more. Think about this - WOULD THEY DO IT IF THEY WEREN'T MAKING MONEY?

I URGE anyone who is thinking of the "free iPhone 7" trade in to read and consider this first. Make an informed decision.

(see below)

"$649.99 device payment purchase req’d. Less $649.99 trade-in credit applied to account over 24 mos; credit begins in 2-3 bill cycles & ends when balance paid; 0% APR. Line must be active for 2 yrs. for full credit. "

*edit: the payment to verizon of the 649 may be inaccurate as per these forums. Unfortunately it still doesn't change the fact that this is only a "GOOD" deal for those who will keep their phones 27 months or so. Otherwise it's a wash, at best.

I don't follow what you're saying. I didn't pay them $650 to start. I paid the tax, that's it. Sure, I OWE them $650 over 24 months for the phone, but Verizon's annual upgrade program pretty clearly states I can simply return the device to them after I've paid 50% of the cost. So next year when the iPhone 8 comes out, I'll already be at 50% paid. I then simply order the new phone and return the old one to them. They clearly state:

Upon entering a device payment agreement for a new qualifying device, and after returning your eligible device to us within 14 days, we agree, for your benefit and for the express benefit of any assignee of your original device payment agreement, to acquire your eligible device for the remaining balance of your original device payment agreement and pay off and settle that remaining balance.

So under the case where someone gets the $650 trade-in credit and they want to upgrade to the iPhone 8 in a year, they simply return the iPhone 7 (that they paid $0 for due to the trade-in credits), and get an iPhone 8.

Also, Verizon reps have already confirmed that the first and second months trade-in credit payments will be lumped into the 3rd month. So you DON'T lose 1-2 months.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/upgrade-program-legal/

Annual Upgrade Program Terms and Conditions
  1. You may be able to upgrade your eligible device for a new qualifying device after 30 days provided that you have paid at least 50% of the retail price of your device under the device payment agreement and you return your eligible device to us in good working condition with no significant damage as determined by us.

2. Purchase of a new qualifying device under a new device payment agreement is required. New device purchase is subject to then-available offers and any associated wireless service requirements.

3. Your account must be in good standing and you must satisfy our eligibility requirements for a new device payment agreement.

4. Upon entering a device payment agreement for a new qualifying device, and after returning your eligible device to us within 14 days, we agree, for your benefit and for the express benefit of any assignee of your original device payment agreement, to acquire your eligible device for the remaining balance of your original device payment agreement and pay off and settle that remaining balance. After we do that, your only remaining obligations will be under the new device payment agreement and for associated wireless service.

5. If you do not return your eligible device when upgrading, or if it is not returned to us in good working condition, in each case the remaining balance under your original device payment agreement will be due on your next bill. Good working condition requires, among other things, that your returned device powers on and off, does not have a cracked screen, has no significant damage as determined by Verizon, and has all password-protected security features (e.g., Find My iPhone) turned off.

6. The Annual Upgrade Program and these terms and conditions may be modified or terminated by us at any time. Your upgrade eligibility will be determined in the sole discretion of Verizon. If the Annual Upgrade Program is terminated or these terms and conditions are not satisfied, you will remain responsible for the remaining balance due under your original device payment agreement.

Devices eligible to participate in Annual Upgrade Program: iPhone® 7 and iPhone® 7 Plus
iPhone® 6s and iPhone® 6s Plus, purchased on or before September 8, 2016
Samsung Note7
Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, purchased on or before September 9, 2016
Upgrade fee applies.

version 9/2016

rvvisse

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Why is it not so good? If I traded/sold in my iPhone 6 now, I'd get between $180-$220 for it and be paying a full ~$30 a month for the new iPhone. If I decide to get the iPhone 8 next year, Verizon will have given me $325 over 12 months.
[doublepost=1473446463][/doublepost]
If you stick with Verizon, you don't have to buy it out, right? You can just return it to Verizon and upgrade as long as you've paid off 50% of the phone.

Boom! Even simpler!

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If you're staying with Verizon, it's a great deal to take the $650 over 24 months. It may seem like Verizon is losing money, but really they're not. There's going to be a proportion of people that leave VZW prior to the 24 month term (call it Single Month Mortality for my financiers). Say my iP6+ is worth $300 to Verizon. That means that if I stay with VZW for 12 months, they break even on the phone (just the phone, not the phone bill). Consider that they're giving you a credit on your bill.. so they have plenty of ways to make up that cash through plan cost and fees, which are decreasing now because bandwidth is so cheap. They've figured the total cost of your plan over 24 months, the amount they can get for the phone right now, the increasing profit margins on data plans/minutes, and that they get a customer for another 2 years... chaaa-ching.

AND, they collect the rest of your device payments if you leave. More chaaa-ching. :)

Honestly, I've never had a problem with Verizon even though I've heard folks holler. They have always been great to me through a few issues, I've never had a desire to leave. And I know they're upgrading towers and such.. I've lived in my condo for 7.5 years now and my indoor cell signal in 2016 is far and beyond what it ever has been.

Last edited:

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Ordered iPhone 7 plus 128gb around 3:56 and order is still processing. Anybody know if you can change the shipping address?

In the same boat. The delivery address in my confirmation email is 100% not what I put into my order form. I have been waiting for support for 30 minutes.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
That certainly takes it from being a negative deal minimum, to being a wash minimum. If you are going to upgrade in 12 months anyway though, why not consider Apple Upgrade? Thats what me and my wife are trying this time, and you get applecare+ for any accidents. It actually works out to be pretty decently priced and 0% interest.

The potential downside of Apple Upgrade is that you have to schedule a store pickup for your upgrade, which is not that great if you only have one apple store in the area. If they are out of stock or only have one color, you are stuck. Fortunately we have 4 stores in the area.

I didn't consider the Apple Upgrade program because they lump in the cost of AppleCare, making it aroud $5+ more expensive a month. AppleCare is something I've never had the need to use in almost ten years of owning iPhones.

Norsk

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
View attachment 649666

I am very happy wiht the new "L" plan, and i've been getting 8 gb rollover data for two months, so right now, i have 15 gb left! Love it!

Reactions: DSTOFEL

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
What I still want to know is can we still annual upgrade at 50% for free or are we now required to pay off the entire device? I honestly don't care if I get the entire $650 credit, I just want my damn iPhone 8 :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.