Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcunningham

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Just got the shipping confirmation email from my Verizon order, including a tracking number with USPS. Seems a bit early for that.

Edit: apparently, its the box for the return of the iPhone for the $650 credit; The item is listed as:

SPE DEVICE TRADE IN RECOV

Sorry...false alarm.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I ordered the 7 matte black 128. Did anyone change their existing plan to the new "L" plan that was being promoted on VZW's front page?

Is this a better plan/deal than my previous "more everything" plan?

Old plan: 10GB for $80 + $30 (line access fee for 2 lines) = $110
New L plan: 8GB + 2GB per line (12GB total) for $70 + $40 (line access fee for 2 lines) = $110

New plan also includes the "safety mode" feature which the More Everything plan did not have.

Price is equal but with the "L" plan it includes more data. Did I make the right decision here?

Thanks

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah, they want you to be on another 2 year device payment plan and that's what they've linked the $650 credit to. Since they've done away with contracts, I just don't see how any other scenario would be profitable for them.

They can't just hand you a check for $650 for your old phone AND give you a brand new $650 iP7 for free (with no commitments whatsoever). You are on a 24-month payment plan which still has a monthly payment associated with it (on paper) so that if/when you upgrade your phone or leave Verizon, you have some kind of financial obligation tied to that iP7.

That's how I see it anyway. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding this $650 promotion and failing to do the math properly. Verizon isn't giving people something for nothing.

There's very little difference between this and a standard device payment anyway. If you walked away from Verizon after a year, you'd be responsible for paying the remainder of your phone off to them. With this promotion, it's the same thing - just that Verizon is actually the one paying your monthly payment as long as you stay with them. I don't really see a downside. Am I misunderstanding something?

Reactions: co.ag.2005

heels2017

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Everyone is really hitting Verizon for their website being down but I had the opposite experience. For the first time ever, I logged in at 2:55am EST (yes, a couple minutes early), selected my phone for upgrading, chose the 128GB Black 7 Plus, and placed my order. Smoothest launch I've experienced since I started preordering 5 years ago! Best of luck to everyone who has later dates listed, just take a breath and you'll probably get the phone next Friday.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Just got the shipping confirmation email from my Verizon order, including a tracking number with USPS. Seems a bit early for that.

Edit: apparently, its the box for the return of the iPhone for the $650 credit; The item is listed as:

SPE DEVICE TRADE IN RECOV

Sorry...false alarm.

same here. we traded my wife's iPhone 6 in for the $650 credit. I just hope we get her iPhone 7 before they expect her iPhone 6 shipped back.

with regards on shipping back a phone as part of a trade in offer, I've heard horror stories of carriers telling people they never received the trade in phones even though they were shipped and tracking numbers proved that. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen? this is the only thing I'm nervous about when doing this trade in route.

Vc22

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2016
Really wanted the jet black but settled for matte to avoid waiting till November.

If I went to Apple Store next week and successfully purchased jet black there, am I able to cancel my preorder with Verizon? I am also switching from T Mobile so Verizon began the porting process last night.

jmcunningham

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
same here. we traded my wife's iPhone 6 in for the $650 credit. I just hope we get her iPhone 7 before they expect her iPhone 6 shipped back.

with regards on shipping back a phone as part of a trade in offer, I've heard horror stories of carriers telling people they never received the trade in phones even though they were shipped and tracking numbers proved that. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen? this is the only thing I'm nervous about when doing this trade in route.

I mailed one in (once), and had no problems. But before mailing this one in, I think I'm going to walk into a store and see if they will accept it (I think they do, but not 100% sure).

kingdf

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2014
United States
I'm attempting to preorder through Verizon now and I see the $650 trade in for my 6+. The thing is if I order the 7+ now it says it won't deliver till next month. I'm assuming I can keep my 6+ until I get the 7+ then trade it in for $650? Is that correct?

jmcunningham

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Nashville, TN

Oh, and according to my confirmation email...you have 30 days to send them the trade-in device.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Oh, and according to my confirmation email...you have 30 days to send them the trade-in device.

thanks! maybe I should have read the email ;)
[doublepost=1473437172][/doublepost]
I'm attempting to preorder through Verizon now and I see the $650 trade in for my 6+. The thing is if I order the 7+ now it says it won't deliver till next month. I'm assuming I can keep my 6+ until I get the 7+ then trade it in for $650? Is that correct?

I believe so. You'd submit the trade -in when you order and then you would ship them your 6+ after your 7+ arrived. As the poster said above, you have 30 days... so hopefully the 7+ would arrive within 30 days

EezyE

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I could be entirely wrong, but my take on the $650 credit is like several others have stated. In order to take advantage of the full credit, you need to keep the phone for 24 months. If you upgrade the phone in after 12 months, you only get half the credit for your phone. Verizon still has the disclaimer the 7 & 7+ are eligible for upgrades after 30 days and 50% is paid.

I'd really like to hear Verizon clarify this but it doesn't really sound any different than the current DPP. If you trade the device in after 12 months, you lose the amount you've paid but you don't have to pay the remaining balance. I think the only way you'd have to pay anything on the phone is if you just walked away from Verizon. I may be wrong, but it would be great if Verizon would clarify this.

kingdf

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2014
United States
thanks! maybe I should have read the email ;)
[doublepost=1473437172][/doublepost]

I believe so. You'd submit the trade -in when you order and then you would ship them your 6+ after your 7+ arrived. As the poster said above, you have 30 days... so hopefully the 7+ would arrive within 30 days

Is it possible that instead of shipping it I could take it to a Verizon store for sake of time when I receive the 7+?

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Quick question, I ordered the iphone 7 plus at 3:30 AM with a shipping date of 9/23 for 128GB. I used the offer of trading in my iphone 6 plus for the $650 credit, Im ok with waiting 2 years to get all that back unless next year's iphone is totally bad ass. My main question is after the 2 years do I own the 7? Im assuming so but dont know if there is a catch??

arftech99

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
MD, USA
Just pre-ordered Apple Apple® iPhone® 7 Plus 256GB in Jet Black with a ship date of 10/26. I'm trading in my older 6 Plus 128GB as Verizon deemed it worth $650. Verizon is giving me a $27 credit for the 6 Plus for 24 months bringing the monthly cost of my new 7 Plus to around $14. Can't wait!

edit: forgot to include Verizon is throwing in 2GB data for no additional charge.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Is it possible that instead of shipping it I could take it to a Verizon store for sake of time when I receive the 7+?

I don't know. I've never done a device trade-in before as I always sell my devices on Swappa. This is my first time doing a trade-in because this is a far better deal on my wife's iPhone 6 than I could sell on Swappa for. My guess is that you'd have to call Verizon. If they do accept it in the store, I will be doing that for sure instead of mailing it in.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
There's very little difference between this and a standard device payment anyway. If you walked away from Verizon after a year, you'd be responsible for paying the remainder of your phone off to them. With this promotion, it's the same thing - just that Verizon is actually the one paying your monthly payment as long as you stay with them. I don't really see a downside. Am I misunderstanding something?

No, I agree with you. I believe your understanding is correct and it is my understanding as well.
[doublepost=1473437714][/doublepost]
I could be entirely wrong, but my take on the $650 credit is like several others have stated. In order to take advantage of the full credit, you need to keep the phone for 24 months. If you upgrade the phone in after 12 months, you only get half the credit for your phone. Verizon still has the disclaimer the 7 & 7+ are eligible for upgrades after 30 days and 50% is paid.

I'd really like to hear Verizon clarify this but it doesn't really sound any different than the current DPP. If you trade the device in after 12 months, you lose the amount you've paid but you don't have to pay the remaining balance.

Agreed.

kingdf

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2014
United States
I don't know. I've never done a device trade-in before as I always sell my devices on Swappa. This is my first time doing a trade-in because this is a far better deal on my wife's iPhone 6 than I could sell on Swappa for. My guess is that you'd have to call Verizon. If they do accept it in the store, I will be doing that for sure instead of mailing it in.

I'll find out from them.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the 7+/128 in black. It says it should deliver by 10/5. I'd like to get it earlier but oh well at least I'm getting it. I was trying to decide between it and the jet black before but then it doesn't really matter because I'm going to put it in a case regardless. Cant wait to get it.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Yes I'm preparing for shipment as well

prepship.jpg

i also had to settle for matte black since jet black was horribly shorted

preparing for ship doesn't really mean anything though so, don't get a semi

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I don't think people are understanding this $650 trade-in correctly (which Verizon hasn't done a good job of explaining).

It's a 2 year device payment plan. If you want the base IP7 32GB ($650), you will be charged $27/month x 24 months and then given a $27/month credit if you trade in an IP6 or IP6S (or the plus models). That's $650 in credits if you keep the iP7 for 24 months.

However, if you upgrade to the new iPhone 8 (or whatever it's called) next year in 2017, your monthly $27 credits will end. You will mail in your iP7 (that's how the 2 year device payment plan works) and you will then start paying $27/mo for the base iP8 (or more depending on the capacity, etc.).

So it's really "up to $650" in credits. You can't expect Verizon to give you $650 for a used/old phone AND give you a free iP7 that you can do whatever you want with without being under a contract. They are not giving you something for nothing.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. Sadly, it sounds like Verizon is misguiding a lot of people and many of their reps are uninformed about how this really works and what they should be communicating.

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
I got order confirmations around 12:28 pst..but my orders are still showing processing ??

dberezin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011

I'd really like to hear Verizon clarify this but it doesn't really sound any different than the current DPP. If you trade the device in after 12 months, you lose the amount you've paid but you don't have to pay the remaining balance. I think the only way you'd have to pay anything on the phone is if you just walked away from Verizon. I may be wrong, but it would be great if Verizon would clarify this.

From Verizon's site (see the part in red I highlighted):

Purchase the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus on Device Payment and trade in a smartphone for up to $650.

• iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus for $650
  • iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, SE for $400
  • HTC One M9, LG G4 or V10, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ or Note 5 for $300
  • Droid Maxx 2 or Turbo 2, HTC One M8, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 or Note 4 for $200
  • Droid Maxx or Turbo, HTC One M7, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4 for $100
Trade must be in good working and cosmetic condition. New iPhone 7 / 7 Plus promotional trade-in credits issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after trade. Smartphone purchase must be made in a Verizon Wireless retail store or on www.verizonwireless.com. Your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus must remain active on a device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade-in promotional credits will stop. Limited time offer.

Reactions: jkozlow3 and utsava

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I'll find out from them.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the 7+/128 in black. It says it should deliver by 10/5. I'd like to get it earlier but oh well at least I'm getting it. I was trying to decide between it and the jet black before but then it doesn't really matter because I'm going to put it in a case regardless. Cant wait to get it.
If it makes you feel better, the date very rarely ever sticks to what they originally say in the email (if it doesn't say release day.) Almost everyone from last year, me included, had October delivery dates for the rose gold but got them on release day and I wondered why I even worried! Believe me, you'll almost certainly get it on release day :) I hope I do, since I got jet black!

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
From Verizon's site (see the part in red I highlighted):

Purchase the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus on Device Payment and trade in a smartphone for up to $650.

• iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus for $650
  • iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, SE for $400
  • HTC One M9, LG G4 or V10, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ or Note 5 for $300
  • Droid Maxx 2 or Turbo 2, HTC One M8, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 or Note 4 for $200
  • Droid Maxx or Turbo, HTC One M7, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4 for $100
Trade must be in good working and cosmetic condition. New iPhone 7 / 7 Plus promotional trade-in credits issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after trade. Smartphone purchase must be made in a Verizon Wireless retail store or on www.verizonwireless.com. Your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus must remain active on a device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade-in promotional credits will stop. Limited time offer.

Thanks for posting that. This matches up with what I've been telling people and how I suspected it worked all along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.