Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Remind me why the iPhone doesn't shoot 16:9? No screen manufactured is 4:3 and the photos look silly on the iphone screen

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
If you go into Settings > Camera and turn off Auto HDR then HDR will behave as it used to, you will have the option of turning it on and off in the camera app once again.
Thanks a million for noticing that! Have updated the first and another post to reflect this vital piece of information.

At least now when I'm presented by an image that has too large a dynamic range for one exposure to handle, I can select to use the inbuilt camera and take an HDR image. Will test it out today.
[doublepost=1506120560][/doublepost]
Actually super happy with this one....

0fc104d9e748d12424c9523418e7ac39.jpg
If you have the chance, go into 'Settings' find the 'Camera' settings and turn off 'Auto HDR'. Then go into the camera and turn on HDR from there, not 'Auto HDR'. I'd love to see what it does with this particular image then! Fingers crossed it will have zero blown out whites to it in the reflections, they should all have detail to them instead of being a solid white as they are in this one! Fingers crossed you can get back to it easily.
[doublepost=1506120797][/doublepost]
Remind me why the iPhone doesn't shoot 16:9? No screen manufactured is 4:3 and the photos look silly on the iphone screen
Because 3:2 is the photographic standard and still remains so today, nearly all picture frames come in this format and most all photographic printing papers too. I print a lot of photographic images to hang and to sell, and they are nearly all in 3:2 format, except when I go 1:1 or panoramic with them. Also, if you shoot in 16:9 format, you are losing a section of the image at both the top and bottom of the frame.

4:3 is the format for TV's and monitors. Dell, Viewsonic, Acer, NEC, Samsung, and even Eizo for example still manufacture them. It is still a popular ratio format for image editing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgelin and macbanjo

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
This thread may be of interest
[doublepost=1506121090][/doublepost]

It doesn't - for true 16:9 shots you need a third party lens like the Moondog Labs anamorphic.
It does great 16x9 stills and video but is not cheap and currently only supports up to iPhone 7/7 Plus.It may not work with the 8 dues to the slight increase in thickness.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Because 4:3 is the photographic standard and still remains so today, nearly all picture frames come in this format and most all photographic printing papers too. I print a lot of photographic images to hang and to sell, and they are nearly all in 4:3 format, except when I go 1:1 or panoramic with them. Also, if you shoot in 16:9 format, you are losing a section of the image at both the top and bottom of the frame.

Doesn't make sense to me.

99.9999% of people view photos on their iPhone on their:
1) iPhone screen
2) PC Screen
3) Televisions

All three are 16:9. Barely anyone prints the photos. Why cater to such a small audience?

They'd also be doing themselves a favour as photos always look more glorious at 16:9 when viewed on a 16:9 screen.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
UPDATE 23/09/217
@DannyT2011 Just pointed out that you can in fact turn on HDR when you want! Rather than relying on the 'Auto' setting which you have zero control over when it will kick in!
Just turn off 'Auto HDR' in the camera settings, found in 'Settings.'
Then, you will have 'HDR' reappear at the top of the camera app, as per normal. Touch the word 'HDR' and you are given three choices from there, 'Auto/On/Off.' Just select which option you want to use.
------------------------------

Just a quick test of the iPhone 8 plus in regards of its camera.

I deliberately chose a tricky subject with a wide dynamic range (lots of darker and lighter details) to see how it fared and just how smart the inbuilt HDR feature is. Unfortunately, the HDR didn't kick in and there is no option to just turn it on either! It's a purely automatic thing if it will or won't kick in for you.

I took the first image using the inbuilt camera app with portrait mode turned on and set to natural, then exported the image as a jpeg. I made the inbuilt camera expose for the highlights on the irises tongue, where all the white and yellow is and made it lock the exposure for that as I took the shot. As can be seen, it didn't cope very well with the highlights presented here, there's very little detail there and in other sections of the flower with whites present.

I took the second image using the app called PureShot, which allows manual control of the camera, using spot metering on the whites, selecting where I wanted the focus to be, then underexposing by a stop and exporting the image as a RAW file. PureShot does not have the portrait mode background blurring, the background here is what the lens actually sees. There's a lot more detail to this one, both in the darker and lighter regions, which gives a good indication of what the camera is actually capable of.

One peculiarity I noticed, was that I had to focus from slightly further back when using the PureShot app for some reason, even though both shots were taken using the wide-angled lens.

Just a quick and easy test, but I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially when compared to what my old iPhone 6 was capable of. It's still miles off of using my DSLR, but for a mobile phone camera, it's pretty damn good! I'm yet to experiment with the portrait modes on people, hopefully others will have a chance to use some willing models for this and share the results here, my family have all said emphatic "NO's" to being test subjects for me!

Inbuilt camera
i-dKT4xDx-X3.jpg

PureShot, RAW file
i-FJRqsKZ-X3.jpg
Even without the benefit of portrait mode that second picture with PureShot still has great depth of field.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks a million for noticing that! Have updated the first and another post to reflect this vital piece of information.

At least now when I'm presented by an image that has too large a dynamic range for one exposure to handle, I can select to use the inbuilt camera and take an HDR image. Will test it out today.
[doublepost=1506120560][/doublepost]
If you have the chance, go into 'Settings' find the 'Camera' settings and turn off 'Auto HDR'. Then go into the camera and turn on HDR from there, not 'Auto HDR'. I'd love to see what it does with this particular image then! Fingers crossed it will have zero blown out whites to it in the reflections, they should all have detail to them instead of being a solid white as they are in this one! Fingers crossed you can get back to it easily.
[doublepost=1506120797][/doublepost]
Because 4:3 is the photographic standard and still remains so today, nearly all picture frames come in this format and most all photographic printing papers too. I print a lot of photographic images to hang and to sell, and they are nearly all in 4:3 format, except when I go 1:1 or panoramic with them. Also, if you shoot in 16:9 format, you are losing a section of the image at both the top and bottom of the frame.

Took another pic and did the black mono portrait lighting, then cropped...nothing else...it is HDR

d1e96e73ce977fc050bd95499e6926d5.jpg

Dannehkins

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
I’m super happy with my iPhone 8 plus camera shots.

I particularly want to highlight the flash that I don’t think gets much mention. I decided to turn off all the lights in the room and take a flash shot and everything appeared to balanced! Not as much noise as my iPhone 6s Plus and the balance of the flash seemed so uniform.

I’ve only had a little try but I can’t wait to really get stuck into the camera.

Reactions: ForumChick

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Doesn't make sense to me.

99.9999% of people view photos on their iPhone on their:
1) iPhone screen
2) PC Screen
3) Televisions

All three are 16:9. Barely anyone prints the photos. Why cater to such a small audience?

They'd also be doing themselves a favour as photos always look more glorious at 16:9 when viewed on a 16:9 screen.
Well, for people like you, you can always shoot some video and take a couple of shots while you're doing it. They will come out in 16:9 format, but I don't know if you still have access to focus and exposure controls in video mode. You'd have to research that.
[doublepost=1506123784][/doublepost]
Took another pic and did the black mono portrait lighting, then cropped...nothing else...it is HDR

d1e96e73ce977fc050bd95499e6926d5.jpg
Love it in mono! The highlights don't have any detail to them though! Might just be the result of having an overcast sky though. Will play with HDR when I'm in the city tomorrow.

PixelsPlus

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Ever since I got my 7 I've noticed that "watercolor" look, it appears to be heavy handed noise reduction or compression? I don't like it at all and it seems to be worse in certain shots vs others. Over all the pics look pretty good, but I can still see it in the first pics. Nice color, but that effect is GARBAGE and the lack of detail is disturbing. I love Apple products but wish that issue would be addressed.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Ever since I got my 7 I've noticed that "watercolor" look, it appears to be heavy handed noise reduction or compression? I don't like it at all and it seems to be worse in certain shots vs others. Over all the pics look pretty good, but I can still see it in the first pics. Nice color, but that effect is GARBAGE and the lack of detail is disturbing. I love Apple products but wish that issue would be addressed.
Does the 7 have OIS? If not, that would probably be the watercolor or slightly blurry look.

PixelsPlus

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Does the 7 have OIS? If not, that would probably be the watercolor or slightly blurry look.
The 7 does have OIS, i guarantee that is not the issue here. I’m a photographer and pixel peeper from way back and there IS a problem. I like apple anyway.

Reactions: tr1ad

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Camera sensors are manufactured to 3:2, the same dimensions they've always been since 35mm film - it's a global standard and you're going to get more resolution out of an image that captures 3:2 instead of 16:9.
[doublepost=1506135711][/doublepost]

It's shots taken at higher-than-100 ISO with heavy-handed noise reduction applied from the ISP. It seems like it's a bit better this time around, but if you hate it you can use third-party camera apps that bypass the ISP's jpeg engine or shoot RAW.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Camera sensors are manufactured to 3:2, the same dimensions they've always been since 35mm film - it's a global standard and you're going to get more resolution out of an image that captures 3:2 instead of 16:9.
Just realised that in my earlier post I wrote 4:3 as the aspect ratio! I was playing with that format in a third party app this morning and it must have gotten stuck in my mind! Have corrected that now! :oops:

PixelsPlus

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
[doublepost=1506135711][/doublepost]

It's shots taken at higher-than-100 ISO with heavy-handed noise reduction applied from the ISP. It seems like it's a bit better this time around, but if you hate it you can use third-party camera apps that bypass the ISP's jpeg engine or shoot RAW.
You thanks for the tip

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
The 7 does have OIS, i guarantee that is not the issue here. I’m a photographer and pixel peeper from way back and there IS a problem. I like apple anyway.

There's definitely more post-processing going on with the 7 (and 8). Apple took a bite out of Samsung's playbook in order to "improve" their lower-light shots.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Here's a bunch of photo's that I just took, walking around our garden. I'm suitably impressed at the camera on the iPhone 8 plus, when it is controlled properly by a third party app!

I used an app called PureShot, which allowed me to use spot metering where I wanted to meter from in the images and also to choose where I wanted to focus in each image. It saved the images as RAW files, and they were very quickly edited in Lightroom. These are all single image exposures, no HDR, it's not really necessary when you work from a RAW file, unless there is a really big dynamic range present that you are trying to capture.

I like that in these first two images, the colours are not oversaturated or blown out, so there's detail all through them. Something that even DSLR's struggle with.

i-Mxjj9m6-X3.jpg

i-6VZWC3J-X3.jpg

i-zJ4nmWJ-X3.jpg

i-L2984vb-X3.jpg

i-JKLV8zL-X3.jpg

i-G3pw9BL-X3.jpg

i-8gVbt7m-X3.jpg

i-4BcnKQB-X3.jpg

Last edited:

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Can someone please tell me what would be the biggest advantages of the second OIS in the telephoto camera on the x, opposed to the 8+?
Seems to me it’s kind of a big deal.. or am i wrong?
Tnx

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Here's a bunch of photo's that I just took, walking around our garden. I'm suitably impressed at the camera on the iPhone 8 plus, when it is controlled properly by a third party app!

I used an app called PureShot, which allowed me to use spot metering where I wanted to meter from in the images and also to choose where I wanted to focus in each image. It saved the images as RAW files, and they were very quickly edited in Lightroom. These are all single image exposures, no HDR, it's not really necessary when you work from a RAW file, unless there is a really big dynamic range present that you are trying to capture.

I like that in these first two images, the colours are not oversaturated or blown out, so there's detail all through them. Something that even DSLR's struggle with.

i-Mxjj9m6-X3.jpg

i-6VZWC3J-X3.jpg

i-zJ4nmWJ-X3.jpg

i-L2984vb-X3.jpg

i-JKLV8zL-X3.jpg

i-G3pw9BL-X3.jpg

i-8gVbt7m-X3.jpg

i-4BcnKQB-X3.jpg

another thread with close ups... well

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've suffered with it since iPhone 5S. I'm sure it was a problem before, too, but I first noticed then. I'm frustrated by it, too. I can see it in a lot of photos I take, especially in artificial lighting.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Can someone please tell me what would be the biggest advantages of the second OIS in the telephoto camera on the x, opposed to the 8+?
Seems to me it’s kind of a big deal.. or am i wrong?
Tnx

OIS on the telephoto will ensure that your photos taken with the telephoto lens are brighter and sharper because the camera can afford to slow down the shutter speed. Videos taken with the telephoto lens will also be a lot more stable. And not forgetting the telephoto on the X is f/2.4 vs f/2.8 on the 8 Plus. Thus letting in more light. The bigger aperture plus the OIS is a double whammy and it’ll make the X a champ in the telephoto department

Reactions: roeiz and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.