Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Can someone please tell me what would be the biggest advantages of the second OIS in the telephoto camera on the x, opposed to the 8+?
Seems to me it’s kind of a big deal.. or am i wrong?
Tnx
Your subject will be in better focus with more detail being captured. Hold on a sec and I'll link up an example.

It's at 6:04 in this video that compares the iPhone 8 Plus camera to the Note 8 camera in videos first then stills.

If you want to see the original go to YouTube and look up SuperSaf TV.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Your subject will be in better focus with more detail being captured. Hold on a sec and I'll link up an example.

It's at 6:04 in this video that compares the iPhone 8 Plus camera to the Note 8 camera in videos first then stills.

The Note 8 looks really hazy in this video

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2017
USA
Here's a bunch of photo's that I just took, walking around our garden. I'm suitably impressed at the camera on the iPhone 8 plus, when it is controlled properly by a third party app!

I used an app called PureShot, which allowed me to use spot metering where I wanted to meter from in the images and also to choose where I wanted to focus in each image. It saved the images as RAW files, and they were very quickly edited in Lightroom. These are all single image exposures, no HDR, it's not really necessary when you work from a RAW file, unless there is a really big dynamic range present that you are trying to capture.

I like that in these first two images, the colours are not oversaturated or blown out, so there's detail all through them. Something that even DSLR's struggle with.

i-Mxjj9m6-X3.jpg

i-6VZWC3J-X3.jpg

i-zJ4nmWJ-X3.jpg

i-L2984vb-X3.jpg

i-JKLV8zL-X3.jpg

i-G3pw9BL-X3.jpg

i-8gVbt7m-X3.jpg

i-4BcnKQB-X3.jpg
Just amazing

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
OIS on the telephoto will ensure that your photos taken with the telephoto lens are brighter and sharper because the camera can afford to slow down the shutter speed. Videos taken with the telephoto lens will also be a lot more stable. And not forgetting the telephoto on the X is f/2.4 vs f/2.8 on the 8 Plus. Thus letting in more light. The bigger aperture plus the OIS is a double whammy and it’ll make the X a champ in the telephoto department

Thanks. Well as i said this is quite important for a more serious shooter.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The Note 8 looks really hazy in this video
I thought it looked good but I notice that Samsung videos are still plagued with a jello like jitter when the camera is panning across a scene. It plagues every video I ever shot on a Samsung. I'm not sure what causes it.

But where the Samsungs wipe the floor with the IPhones is the audio. The sound is so much better, trust me. However, I can simply plug in a small excellent lightning mic to get great sound for my iPhone videos. I know of nothing that can fix the jello jitter.

I'm not slamming Samsung, because I own several and am a definite fan of Samsung phones. I'm just reporting as objectively as possible what I have experienced.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010

wow.. from this video it seems to me the Note wins by a margin.
something seems so bad in the 8+ samples i think it's a fluke.

Reactions: ABC5S

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That's what my husband said. We've seen other video comparisons where the iPhone 8+ was the better at recording video.

Reactions: ABC5S

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I thought it was very close here. In previous years I’ve seen the super saf comparison and the iPhone paled in comparison. This year I thought it was much closer.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Here’s a shot that I think looks a bit odd, but that’s because of the motion of the water. With video it would probably be fine.
I didn’t do anything special, just point and shoot.

By “odd” I mainly mean if you zoom in you can see some blockiness.

Attachments

• 6117566A-F94A-4BA6-A1AB-B57EFC6505A3.jpeg
    6117566A-F94A-4BA6-A1AB-B57EFC6505A3.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 384

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Great shots. Many might know but for those that do not the benefit of shooting in RAW is the data left in the file for post-processing. RAW images may not look good initially but the data is there to make them look really good

Reactions: jgelin

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm happy with close up pics but ones taken far away don't seem to be that great..unless I'm doing something wrong?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks. Well as i said this is quite important for a more serious shooter.
It all depends on how you define a "more serious shooter." I can adamantly say that I will never use the telephoto lens on a phone, only the wide angle, so it's of little consequence to me whether it has ever so slightly better light input (half a stop actually) or even if the telephoto has OS. Other people will probably use the telephoto a lot. Different courses for different people really. To say that someones not "serious" because they don't need the OS on a telephoto lens is ludicrous!

For my serious photography, where I am going to have my images printed out large I use my DSLR and would still at this stage never consider using my phone for this purpose, as good as it is. The 8 plus and even the X when it's released will never be a DSLR replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: sassenach74

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
It all depends on how you define a "more serious shooter." I can adamantly say that I will never use the telephoto lens on a phone, only the wide angle, so it's of little consequence to me whether it has ever so slightly better light input (half a stop actually) or even if the telephoto has OS. Other people will probably use the telephoto a lot. Different courses for different people really. To say that someones not "serious" because they don't need the OS on a telephoto lens is ludicrous!

For my serious photography, where I am going to have my images printed out large I use my DSLR and would still at this stage never consider using my phone, as good as it is for this purpose. The 8 plus and even the X when it's released will never be a DSLR replacement.
I meant to have as many tools as possiblr.
No need to get anal about it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That's what my husband said. We've seen other video comparisons where the iPhone 8+ was the better at recording video.
Lol it’s amazing how we all see things differently. I think this is all very subjective. I thought it was very close with the note 8 just about edging it. In previous years the flagship Samsung seemed to win much more convincingly compared to the latest iPhone plus model.

Reactions: jamezr

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Here’s a shot that I think looks a bit odd, but that’s because of the motion of the water. With video it would probably be fine.
I didn’t do anything special, just point and shoot.

By “odd” I mainly mean if you zoom in you can see some blockiness.

i guess it's the 12mb camera limit but the back of the pool doesn't look so good.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
nice.
but the portrait lightning is just gimmicky and simply look really bad, especially the spotlight B/W

Maybe that’s why it’s released as beta. Although I don’t like this new approach Apple has taken by releasing features as “beta” before it’s actually ready for prime time because they’re not able to either come up with better features or not being able to finish development in time.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Maybe that’s why it’s released as beta. Although I don’t like this new approach Apple has taken by releasing features as “beta” before it’s actually ready for prime time because they’re not able to either come up with better features or not being able to finish development in time.

i don't know... it's the same as these stupid ani-mojies. Jobs would have done things VERY differently.
(actually the Emojis stuff is really just an opening for the future but that's another discussion)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.