Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Apple Store gave me a new iPhone SE (3rd gen) 128GB Verizon, same as I had before. I'll let you all know if I still see the kernel panics.

Side note: I went through hell to get this replacement (direct from Apple) phone activated. Verizon Store and Verizon 1-800 customer service could not get the eSIM to work. Ultimately, I had to use a physical SIM. Keep that in mind if you are getting a replacement.

I’ve had the same problem with 2. First bought on launch day. Second about 2 weeks ago.

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Decided to return the charger and headphones. No iPhone SE for me because I don't have time for this. The 2020 model hasn't dropped enough in price to interest me either.

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
It is a software issue and Apple will have a fix for it pretty quick, considering it is a new phone. I think the issue that is happening is with the IPC communications that happens between the co-processors.

Hi, are you sure it's a software bug? Today is my last day to return the phone, I have read the entire post and there are people who have changed it several times. it failed me the day after the purchase and 13 days later again the same kernel panic when putting the fingerprint the screen is off and the apple logo appears, I ask him why I have been worried about this for several days and I would not like it to be hardware and be without mobile,
Is it 100% sure that it is software? If so, how long does it take for Apple to fix those bugs? it's my first iPhone.
Is it likely the factory fault on the motherboard or is that ruled out?

I would appreciate it if you would answer me, I registered just to ask you, I have been very worried for days, until I cannot sleep from worry, since it cost me a lot to save money to buy it (I was thinking of buying it in 2020 when 2022 was announced) and I would not like to lose my phone and have long term failures

Regards, and thank you very much

Xwhyz

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
BCN
Hi, are you sure it's a software bug? Today is my last day to return the phone, I have read the entire post and there are people who have changed it several times. it failed me the day after the purchase and 13 days later again the same kernel panic when putting the fingerprint the screen is off and the apple logo appears, I ask him why I have been worried about this for several days and I would not like it to be hardware and be without mobile,
Is it 100% sure that it is software? If so, how long does it take for Apple to fix those bugs? it's my first iPhone.
Is it likely the factory fault on the motherboard or is that ruled out?

I would appreciate it if you would answer me, I registered just to ask you, I have been very worried for days, until I cannot sleep from worry, since it cost me a lot to save money to buy it (I was thinking of buying it in 2020 when 2022 was announced) and I would not like to lose my phone and have long term failures

Regards, and thank you very much
You should return it

Reactions: Populus

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
You should return it
why? I see people who have returned up to 5 in this post and it continues to happen, it happened to me after 13 days, and I looked on YouTube and when it is hardware it fails every 3 minutes, not 13 days.

I want to know if it's 100% software, why change it and keep it going, I don't see an option, the store doesn't return money, it's just worth it or change it for another one, I don't want the 11 size plus I'd have to buy another case and the apple ones they are expensive

Xwhyz

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
BCN
why? I see people who have returned up to 5 in this post and it continues to happen, it happened to me after 13 days, and I looked on YouTube and when it is hardware it fails every 3 minutes, not 13 days.

I want to know if it's 100% software, why change it and keep it going, I don't see an option, the store doesn't return money, it's just worth it or change it for another one, I don't want the 11 size plus I'd have to buy another case and the apple ones they are expensive Because if it does not happen to anyone and this means that only certain batches have been affected

I want to know if it's 100% software, why change it and keep it going, I don't see an option, the store doesn't return money, it's just worth it or change it for another one, I don't want the 11 size plus I'd have to buy another case and the apple ones they are expensive
Because it does not happen to anyone and this means that only certain batches have been affected

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
Because it does not happen to anyone and this means that only certain batches have been affected
Why does it say that it is not happening to anyone, when in this forum there are many people who, even changing the mobile several times in the appstore, it continues to happen to them? In apple and reddit forums it is also happening, they talk about a global problem
Instead of returning it, I would do exactly what I did: report the issue with your iPhone to Apple customer service. They'll have you bring it to the Apple Store where they will replace it with a new one. It's only been 3 days, but my replacement has not had one kernel panic since.
From the first kernel panic to the second, 13 days have passed, today was the last day to change it, it is no longer possible, I bought it from a premium reseller, the appstores are very far away, besides, if I sent it they would not change it for one again they will give me a refurbished one or they will change my plate (which, according to what I read, many people have changed it in the appstore and it continues to happen) having a used phone (refurbished) or mine open, a mobile phone opened by the sat will never be the same as a new one

@Taz Mangus I see that you understand the error, is it a 100% software problem? I find it curious that it happened to me on the 28th and today the 11th it happened to me again, if it were hardware it should fail continuously, right?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Instead of returning it, I would do exactly what I did: report the issue with your iPhone to Apple customer service. They'll have you bring it to the Apple Store where they will replace it with a new one. It's only been 3 days, but my replacement has not had one kernel panic since.

Don’t hold your breath. Lots of people including me experienced the issue on multiple handsets.

I personally think it’s a software issue but if you are in your return window and can go back to your old phone, why risk it? It’s already been, what, 2 months, With no fix?

LeCocotier

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2022
For anyone considering returning their iPhone SE, I personally think it's a complete waste of time
As it turns out to be 100% asoftware bug, not fixed yet by Apple ( due to their lazyness ) You'll surely encounter the bug on your new SE, so.. for now, wait

There is a 2 weeks "satisfied or refunded" time-period, but that doesn't apply to malfunctionning devices, which is convered by the one ( or two years ) warranty.

As "thejavigames" said, if the problem was purely hardware, the common scenario would be a kernel panic every 3 minutes, but two weeks between every reboot seems unlikely for an hardware issue.

Wait for Apple to make the move, in iOS 15.5 probably

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
There is a 2 weeks "satisfied or refunded" time-period, but that doesn't apply to malfunctionning devices, which is convered by the one ( or two years ) warranty.

Incorrect. In the US, at least, you can return for a refund in 14 days for any reason, including this kernel panic bug. I’ve done it — twice.

If you do it online, the system doesn’t even ask why you are returning.

LeCocotier

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2022
Incorrect. In the US, at least, you can return for a refund in 14 days for any reason, including this kernel panic bug. I’ve done it — twice.

If you do it online, the system doesn’t even ask why you are returning.
Oh okay, in France, and Europe, you have a law that gives you a two year warranty, that's why
Didn't know for the USA; But, I think RMaing the phone still is a loss of time

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
It’s been two weeks of owning the SE and I’ve not had any random reboots or shutdowns. Just to understand if this issue involves complete reboot or is it resprings?

LeCocotier

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2022
It’s been two weeks of owning the SE and I’ve not had any random reboots or shutdowns. Just to understand if this issue involves complete reboot or is it resprings?
Complete reboot with the Apple logo, then asking for the passcode

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Oh okay, in France, and Europe, you have a law that gives you a two year warranty, that's why
Didn't know for the USA; But, I think RMaing the phone still is a loss of time
This is in case of a malfunction or a hardware defect, meaning, if you have a factory-defective device, the warranty covers you for the repair or, in case of Apple’s limited warranty, a swap for a refurb device. And, in my experience, refurbished (or made for replacements) units aren’t quite the same as the original device.

Sure, many people won’t notice the difference, but if we are assuming it’s a hardware issue, the best move in my opinion is to take advantage of the 14 day retuning window and wait until the issue has been fixed to buy a new one. If it was a software problem, it definitely should be fixed on the just released 15.5, or maybe on a future 15.5.1 update. But I personally return the device as soon as I see any shadow of trouble that could affect me in the future. But that’s just me.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
iOS 15.5 out, maybe a fix ?
Let’s hope there’s a fix on 15.5; I’ve had to return my mini because my eyes were almost bleeding (because of the OLED display), so the iPhone SE 3 is more appealing to me now. I’m still not sure if I’ll get one, I prefer to wait to the WWDC to see how many new iOS 16 features make it to this third generation SE.

fanta_tnc

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Me (I found this ploblem for 4 time since I bought it)
April 4th = I purchase this iPhone SE from shop
April 9th = 1st time of panic
April 10th = 2nd time of panic
April 12th = 3rd time of panic
April 13th = 4th time of panic
*****I try to restore the device via Finder everytime after my phone restart itself

And everytime after my phone restart itself. My phone will show at the same panic code

"panicString": "panic (cpu 1 caller Oxffff*f02183d218): DCP PANIC
poll reg timeout - iomfb_ap_callee_2(20) OUTBOX not ready\npoll reg
timeout\nRTKit: RTKit_iOS-1827.102.1.debug - Client: local-
iphone14d49dcp.release\n!UUID: f474f48a-3dc1-3faf-8d95-
ad734ba8cd14|Time: Ox000000e3dd45fd37\n\nFaulting task 20 Call

But I already contact to Apple Support and I will send my phone back to take a diagnostic with Apple Technician soon

Ps. Sorry for my bad english
Ps2. I'm from Thailand
Today (May 17th, 2022) I bring the device to Apple Store and finally I got the new once

Attachments

• 3B7D3E5C-9E8E-4BF9-A682-28CD936C0EBB.jpeg
    3B7D3E5C-9E8E-4BF9-A682-28CD936C0EBB.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 73

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I’ve had 2 kernel panics on the SE3 so far (owned for 6.5 weeks) and one was this morning. Hopefully a software update can address this soon.
2 weeks later and I’m still at 2 panics. I did write support or Apple feedback about the issue.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
No I haven’t, but I’ll download and install today.
As a suggestion, if you cannot perform a clean install (because you don’t want to backup and copy again your data), you can update the iPhone using a Mac, connecting your iPhone to your Mac, if you have one, and updating through the wire. This way, you ensure the whole iOS system (~6GB) is downloaded and installed.

Regardless of how you do it: good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.