Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I guess i am undecided. I feel like raising the price of the 8 and then the lack of features makes it underwhelming, but the X is so expensive. I have never used a samsung phone before, but it's kind of annoying that the galaxy is in the price range of the 8 and include a bigger screen and some other features.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
quite an interesting read from The Verge

The iPhone X is designed for a generation of selfie takers
The biggest news out of Apple's event yesterday was the debut of its wild iPhone X. Apple saved the device for last and took its time expounding the phone’s technical feats, yet the highlight of the presentation was far more carefree: an overview of animated emoji, a selfie portrait mode, and Snapchat filters.

The iPhone X represents, in Apple's words, "the future of the smartphone." Its Super Retina display has essentially no bezels. Its cameras are loaded with new hardware to support facial recognition, and the home button is replaced by gesture controls. Although it's impressive to some, those details aren't going to sell this $1,000 phone.

Most regular consumers don't care about Apple switching to OLED or using a new processor. Instead, they're interested in how this expensive device will improve their daily lives, one in which they're frequently interacting with other people through social media. For this presentation, Apple talked directly to the young adults.

Apple needs the youths: they're the epitome of cool; they set the trends; and they have disposable income. They're crucial consumers, and Apple requires both their money and loyalty to succeed. The launch of the iPhone X yesterday made this point clear. What delights young people about iPhones? Apple knows the teens love emoji; they love to talk to their friends on iMessage; they loves taking selfies; and supposedly, they love Snapchat, too, especially the AR lenses. The new iPhone X is designed for them.

So of course, Apple partnered with Snapchat to launch lenses that show off its new depth-sensing cameras, including a glittery mask. With the phone fixed on his face, Craig Federighi, SVP of software engineering, pointed out the "detail over the eyes" and the "quality of the tracking." I enjoy Snapchat because it provides an excuse to take a selfie, and with its presentation of the iPhone X, Apple fully recognized that its front-facing camera is as important as its rear-facing ones.

Phil Schiller, SVP of worldwide marketing, said during the event that, "people love to use [front-facing cameras] for taking selfie photographs." He sounds desperately out of the loop, but he isn't wrong. In response to this revolutionary human behavior, the company is now letting people use portrait mode, which blurs the background of an image, when taking a selfie. (No longer will we need to ask our friends with an iPhone 7 Plus to take our portraits on vacation.) The new portrait lighting mode will also work with selfies. That's nice. Schiller calls these features a "breakthrough for photos you can take for selfies." Again, he sounds out of touch, but it’s a valid point.

Apple also sold the phone through the availability of personalized emoji. "Many of us like to communicate with emoji," Federighi said, and now, we can "breathe our own personality into our favorites." You're using emoji to talk to friends, and maybe they represent how you feel, so you might as well animate them in your likeness. They're "so fun, you'll want to share them," Federighi said. You know who enjoys sharing? Young adults and influencers.

Diehard Apple fans track processor upgrades, Apple-made GPUs, and additional hardware, but Apple knows all it needs to do to sell phones is continue to make ones that take better selfies than last year's model. The iPhone X epitomizes that strategy more than any iPhone before.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre.../apple-iphone-x-selfie-camera-snapchat-filter

icemanbrfc

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2017
I guess i am undecided. I feel like raising the price of the 8 and then the lack of features makes it underwhelming, but the X is so expensive. I have never used a samsung phone before, but it's kind of annoying that the galaxy is in the price range of the 8 and include a bigger screen and some other features.
The Samsung Note 8 is getting some really awesome reviews... Its the 1st time I've seen, so many people unimpressed with Apple

litlsea

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
Alberta
Was hoping the price rumors were wrong but including the "Canada" surcharge the X64 is $1300+ and the X256 is $1500+. With Applecare and Gouge and screw tax over $1800. I just don't need to take cool selfies or post animojies that bad. And I'm not that keen on having to look at the darn thing to get it to open. I'll keep running my old 6+ til they start discounting it when IphoneXI comes out. I'm sure its a great phone but I'm going to wait but then almost everyone is going to be waiting and waiting and ...

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The "notch" is ugly, and it's crazy it interferes with photos and videos, essentially cutting off one of the sides.

Correct

downloadfile.gif

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
My biggest beef though? Why oh why does a 1k smart phone not at least have 128GB mem as it's BASE? 64? Really?

Apple being petty thats why, they wanna make that $1k no matter what...they need that money to make all those "awesome" apple stores in landmark places...
Someone would call me stupid for paying $1k for 64GB of space...that is utter s***t.

Its all about marketing, they got rid of the 128GB model this year so they can make more of a higher premium price. They will re-introduce the 128GB most likely next year as a big f* u to the early adopters.

I will hold on to my 7+Plus for as long as I can and its 128GB, I used half the space and happy with it, 64GB with OS is just not enough with all these features like 4K Recording/ High res pics and so on...

Reactions: rotlex

thedropout

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
For those of you have been in the apple eco system is this just a special anniversary edition? Or will this become the new iphone? 2 years from now will the iphone x be the basic iphone, or will it just be some crazy design apple put out in 2017?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
All the Selfie camera updates/Animoji stuff isn't for me. Wish they'd spent less time on them....

For those of you have been in the apple eco system is this just a special anniversary edition? Or will this become the new iphone? 2 years from now will the iphone x be the basic iphone, or will it just be some crazy design apple put out in 2017?

I'm thinking they'll make all their phones full screen like the X next year, but they'll keep a close eye on the success of the Home Button-free model to see if, by some outside chance, it's better to keep a model with the Home Button in their list of new phones for 2018.

Outside of price, I can’t find a reason why I wouldn’t go for the iPhone X.
Price makes me resent it. You want to buy these things & feel you're not being ripped off...
Whoa. Nice mock up.

Last edited:
Reactions: janeauburn

RtWrecklezX

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009

I believe in 1-2 years all iPhones will be edge to edge screens. Next year maybe we get the 8 Plus version(6.5~6.8 inch screen). Then after that the SE all screen no home button.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I believe in 1-2 years all iPhones will be edge to edge screens. Next year maybe we get the 8 Plus version(6.5~6.8 inch screen). Then after that the SE all screen no home button.

I think the iPhone SE will be the one iPhone that will move to the haptic home button possibly, but I question how long Apple retains this in their line up.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I have mixed opinions so far but ultimately I will most likely pre-order on the 27th. I do have a 7 plus currently so it's not as huge of a leap as earlier phones.

• Animated Emoji (it just looks really fun and interesting)
  • Wireless Charging (convenience feature but in car charging is exciting)
  • Improved Camera
Dislikes
  • Face ID (feels gimmicky and I know version 1 will have its kinks and we get the best experience in V2)
  • Battery Life (hoping for more than just a few additional hours)
  • $50 increase in 256 version (I know it's only $50 but feels wrong when we already are paying > $1,000)
That's quite worrying. A £1k phone and one of your main reasons for liking it is that it's got animated emojis??

I also don't understand (but this isn't just directed at your post) all the fuss about wireless charging, is it that difficult to plug a phone in?

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia
So many people being unimpressed with what Apple released, me thinks maybe because it was leaked so much maybe y'all expected Apple to stun you all and release something completely different, I just don't know. I mean its not like we all didn't see the cut out in the screen a million times over the past few months and we all knew facial recognition was gonna be the thing and the home button was going bye bye, but all of a sudden its like Apple personally insulted all your mothers and now you hate them. I for one like the new X and will be getting one on preorder here in Australia and I'll have it and love it before you all. so nah nah na na nah :)

Reactions: e1me5

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
iPhone X is the very best iPhone Apple has ever made. How can anyone not be impressed? It's unbelievable what they have created here.

Yes it’s the best phone Apple have ever made but...that’s as far as it goes. IMO there is nothing to be impressed about. There is NOTHING new, NOTHING stands out for the average guy on the street. We’ve seen pretty much all this before, and in most cases done better. What, just because Apple have finally given us features that have been around on other phones for a few years we should be impressed...why? Why is this?

There is no doubt the A11 Bionic chipset is a stunning piece of kit...but that’s means zilch to the end user.

* The phone is not edge to edge...yet that’s what Apple calls it.

* The phone does not have the best screen...yet that’s what Apple calls it.

* The phone is not the future of the smartphone because it’s been done before...yet that’s what Apple calls it.

As someone who generally loves Apple kit and has spent a huge amount this year alone on it, I can’t help but think that the iPhone X is a prototype model with too many compromises: the ridiculous notch, the lack of TouchID, the ‘not participating bright and high res’ OLED panel.

All this along with the extortionate price would make me consider other avenues if I was in the market for a new phone.

Just my opinion and 2p worth.

SharepointGuy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Rhode Island
That's quite worrying. A £1k phone and one of your main reasons for liking it is that it's got animated emojis???

I'm more excited for the potential future applications of the technology as opposed to the emoji itself. The fact that a smart phone can 3D map your face and then apply your facial expressions to completely different objects is just stunning.

I also don't understand (but this isn't just directed at your post) all the fuss about wireless charging, is it that difficult to plug a phone in?

IPhone charging cords are notoriously small and unless you want to use an extension cord or a 3rd party charger that is longer, it's a hassle unless you have the perfect socket placement, especially in a bedroom. This will also help alleviate issues in major places such as airports or restaurants where sockets may not be available but now charging pads could be provided so everyone can charge their phones.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Someone would call me stupid for paying $1k for 64GB of space...that is utter s***t.

Good point. Why would you drop $1K and then have to be really careful about how much you put on the phone? So the phone is really whatever the next tier up costs. I guess closer to $1200.
[doublepost=1505407748][/doublepost]
After reading some of their comments during the live stream I came to the conclusion that they are a bunch of idiots.

Agree. Or kids.
[doublepost=1505407935][/doublepost]
You want to buy these things & feel you're not being ripped off...

Yeah. And I, for one, feel really stupid when traveling around the world with an expensive "latest gen" Apple phone and seeing that most people are getting along just fine with much less expensive (and in many cases much less obtrusive) phones. I still think the folks carrying the beat up old 4-series (or SE) look the smartest.
[doublepost=1505408010][/doublepost]
I have never used a samsung phone before, but it's kind of annoying that the galaxy is in the price range of the 8 and include a bigger screen and some other features.

Really I encourage everyone to give the Pixel 2 a hard look. Reason: Project Fi is head and shoulders above other carriers. It's the carrier that really matters, especially if you travel abroad. Fi can't be beat. Traveling abroad with Fi is just brilliant. Hi speed, no extortionist charges, no SIM swaps.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/16306472/google-pixel-2-launch-date-october

If the Pixel 2 fixes its Bluetooth issues from the first gen, I'm in line for that phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
If the Pixel 2 fixes its Bluetooth issues from the first gen, I'm in line for that phone.

I would look at a Pixel 2 or Note 8 but I and my family are too tied up in ios (apps, services, etc.) now. I like Samsung's implementation of edge to edge screen better.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
First of all, everyone who likes what Samsung or LG has done wrt "bezel free screens" better than the X don't even deserve to have an iPhone, and I mean any iPhone. The X is the best, most functional and most honest smartphone design possible at this point in time, fall 2017. No useless bended display with built-in perma-glare, no fingerprint sensor bolted on the backside, no artificial "software bezels". Embrace the notch, bit**es. Of course, CPU, GPU, OS and eco system are also miles ahead of any "competition".

And for the millionth time, the notch will NOT cut off video/photo content UNLESS YOU MAKE IT SO. The default will be that video/photo content is shown in the original aspect ratio with black bezels on the left and right. Only if you double tap to go "full screen", the screen will be filled, including the "ears".

Reactions: rotlex

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
First of all, everyone who likes what Samsung or LG has done wrt "bezel free screens" better than the X don't even deserve to have an iPhone, and I mean any iPhone. The X is the best, most functional and most honest smartphone design possible at this point in time, fall 2017. No useless bended display with built-in perma-glare, no fingerprint sensor bolted on the backside, no artificial "software bezels". Embrace the notch, bit**es. Of course, CPU, GPU, OS and eco system are also miles ahead of any "competition".

And for the millionth time, the notch will NOT cut off video/photo content UNLESS YOU MAKE IT SO. The default will be that video/photo content is shown in the original aspect ratio with black bezels on the left and right. Only if you double tap to go "full screen", the screen will be filled, including the "ears".

OK, but I STILL want a 128GB base model! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.