Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I bought a 7 plus with the intention of going to the X I don’t like that grid on the top of the screen and how video wraps around it when playing it just bugs me

Reactions: eric3312

dwendz23

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
So I can pay $41 a month without the annual upgrade/AppleCare, or I can pay $50 a month with the annual upgrade and AppleCare. I'm not really too concerned with upgrading annually, but I definitely would like AppleCare. Not sure which option I should go with...$50 a month is kind of steep for just the phone, and I don't mind paying the one time installment for AppleCare. Thoughts?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
This is the worst thread title. One thread for all iPhone X related discussion in iPhone forum category? XD

mehdijobs

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
This event was supposed to be dedicated to Steve Jobs, and I believe this is the worst tribute that could be made.
Those 2 horns, or that notch, of the iPhone X, is one of the biggest flaw in Apple's design history. It makes absolutely no sense in terms of User Interface, User Experience and in terms of overall look.
Remember the magic mouse that you had to charge from the back? Or the AirPods charging box with USB C shape plug... This iPhone X is a totally new level.
I know Apple had to find a way to remove their home button (and touch ID), but to provide front camera and a new solution for ID. They had years to think of it, and the solution is this ugly notch?
My last point is that Apple is slowing down the updates and increasing prices. The iPhone X should be the new iPhone, and should be priced the same. Instead, they create a fake iPhone 8 which is 95% similar to the 7, in order to create a new category of product, 30% more expensive.
The design of the iPhone 6 hasn't been improved in 3 iterations (6s, 7, 8). The evolution from the iPhone 3Gs to the 4; 4 to the 5; and 5 to the 6, were great. Since the 10th iPhone was supposed to be an ever bigger evolution, they took 3 years (and not 2), but it's actually an entirely new product.
Face ID and bezel free OLED are now the new products. Expect them coming to all iDevices in the next 3 years. Expect an iPad X, bezel free, oled, face id, and this will be probably coming to the MacBooks at some point. Maybe the iMac Pro will have face ID too.

iphone-x-notch.jpg airpods-lightning-port-is-usb-c-like-shape_01.jpg 623337_orig.png 4903438.png Apple_Magic_Mouse_Bad_Design_2.0.jpg

Dan666

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Hi all,
I've been following the spoilers of the new iphone lately, and I have to confess I like it. I like it a lot, it will sell like crazy.
good move, Apple.

no, I'm not buying it, as it's too expensive for me, but I can see why people will upgrade to it.

me, I'm staying in the android world as it's cheaper. but I can't blame those who will choose it as their next phone.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I just cant justify £1348 with Applecare for a phone, I personally don't like the horns that's just an aesthetics thing and I don't need 256GB but 64GB is not enough, thus you end up with the more expensive handset. As far as the 8 that's just underwhelming. I am for once at a loss with Apple. I may just upgrade my iPad and stick with my 7 this year, I'm disabled and find the plus size phones to big to grip because of my disability, so the X may have been perfect but sadly not at that price. Also I'm concerned about hardware issues on both handsets with the new glass design, so waiting things out is my best option right now. Not really impressed 128GB option was removed though I have to say in the new phone line up.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I was thinking of buying but that notch on video killed it for me.

They should have the option to turn that area (where the WiFi and cellular signal strength etc sits) into volume controls. It may screw with the video aspect ratio a bit but we're already used to watching video on an iPad in letterbox.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I like it. If someone said they'd buy one for me, I'd say yes. But....... over £1k for a phone is just too much.

As I recently cracked the screen on my Watch, I'll see what the offer is on the Note 8 when it's my upgrade time

Reactions: arkitect

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I noticed in the presentation that FaceID slowly adapts to your changing face, they used the example of growing a beard. At the rate mine grows it better adapt fast, but I guess this handles weight loss and gain. I wonder about sudden changes, like shaving your beard off, or how it handles your face being slightly squashed when you're lying down? I guess we will have to wait until people get the phone in their hands to find out.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
After watching the video and games blocked by the notched. I am skipping X. iPhone 8+ not enough significant changes either. Might just keep my iPhone 7+. I'm gonna get the watch and Apple TV though. Disappointed about iPhone X. Totally compromised design.

Not only compromised design, but user experience as well. Think about that silly Qi charging for example? Or that lousy Face ID? IPhone X is so full of compromises.

For me personally this is not a Apple product anymore.

RtWrecklezX

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Apple products always have had a use case that the product solves. Besides portrait pictures I'm having a hard time finding one for the iPhone X. Maybe its a future use like AR but anyone else got any suggestions?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
5.8" but taller is basically the same size screen as the current 7... so going to stick with my 7 Plus until Apple offers a plus-sized version (6.4"+) to compete with the Note. Not going down in screen size for a few party tricks.

Correct, it is smaller than current 7/8 plus, inspite of 5.8 vs 5.5

Screen height viewing a movie or photo in landscape mode is 2.43" on an X and 2.69" on a plus.

Thread here.

Reactions: M. Gustave

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
where did you see that? the video that was demoed did cut into the video.

Well apparently I was wrong. I didn't watch the keynote, just read news about the phone. Apple really needs to fix that and it's ridiculous that they even demoed it like that. Legacy apps should default to rendering outside the cutout area and for new/updated apps there should be an API that allows devs to use that area if they want.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
Nope. Not impressed at all. I had already 75% decided against the X before the keynote because of notchgate and the removal of TouchID; so really I was just on the fence about the 8+.

The 8+ is just the 7+ with wireless charging. Not worth the time and money to "upgrade".

Roll on iPhone 9? 11? 8S?

Reactions: Tsepz and eric3312

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Not upgrading. No features that aren't available on competitor phones for much less, and not enough change to justify it based on my current phone.

Still hoping Tim Cook can have that first original idea (gouging customers has been done before..)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not upgrading. No features that aren't available on competitor phones for much less, and not enough change to justify it based on my current phone.
Yep, while I understand the marketing hype coming from Apple, they're not cutting edge, Samsung has had many of those features for years.

For me it boils down to what the X has that the 8 doesn't and is it worth paying 200 - 300 for that difference? Tbh, after the keynote (heck before it as well), i'd say no, but I'm liking the idea of a plus sized phone in the body of a non-plus iPhone. Yet, I can't see myself spending that much money on a phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.