Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
don't forget VAT (Apple advertised price is plus state tax)

The iPhone 6 128GB Sept '14 was £699.00 in UK (I bought one) and $849.00 in USA

Based on apples markup today I would have been looking at £849.00 in Sept '14 (£150 more than I paid) and I would have passed thank you very much.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
I went into this event with the expectation that I'd preorder the iPhone X... but I truly can't get over that notch at the top. I know, you're probably getting tired of hearing people talk about it.

But it's like there's something in the way of my content...so... I'll be watching a nice video of my kids only to have some stupid awkward object covering part of the scene...it literally cuts off part of the picture

I guess what I could do to get used to it, is tape a big, awkwardly shaped piece of construction paper to the top part of my Samsung 50' 4k TV and have my content partially blocked for the next month.

I'm sorry, but it's hideous and ruins the experience for me.

Then we have the iPhone 8 which is basically an iPhone 7(s)(s)....and it will be obsolete a month after its release when the iPhone X (ten) comes out...

I have been an iPhone launch date guy for the past 5 years, but I don't think I've ever been this disappointed...

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I went into this event with the expectation that I'd preorder the iPhone X... but I truly can't get over that notch at the top. I know, you're probably getting tired of hearing people talk about it.

But it's like there's something in the way of my content...so... I'll be watching a nice video of my kids only to have some stupid awkward object covering part of the scene...it literally cuts off part of the picture

I guess what I could do to get used to it, is tape a big, awkwardly shaped piece of construction paper to the top part of my Samsung 50' 4k TV and have my content partially blocked for the next month.

Then we have the iPhone 8 which is basically an iPhone 7(s)(s)....and it will be obsolete a month after its release when the iPhone X (ten) comes out...

I have been an iPhone launch date guy for the past 5 years, but I don't think I've ever been this disappointed...

my bet is that they will "software handle" it at a later stage. Maybe adding video controls like volume and play/pause at the sides

Reactions: steve62388

wborisenok

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Boston, MA

couldn't agree more. I wanted to go with the smaller size this year but was hoping they added portrait mode to it. since they didn't, I now need to decide if I want to go without portrait mode or suck it up and get the bigger model for another year.

Reactions: eric3312

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Supposedly FaceId did not fail the first time, it just wasnt set up on the iPhone - on screen it said something like 'Enter your passcode to enable FaceId'. SO bad demo, but didnt appear that it was FaceId failing.

DJi-uinVAAAHKHz.jpg

The phone had probably been rebooted. You must enter your passcode after rebooting your phone before you can use TouchID. FaceID is probably no different.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Face ID looks better than expected IMO in terms of real life use of Apple Pay.

I was leaning towards 8, I may do 10 now. Let's see pricing.
Same, but only because they went ridiculous on pricing options for the 8 - if you're gonna part with that much cash may as well go all in on the big beastie. Alternatively the 7 still looks pretty good with its modest price cut... decisions...

Reactions: Adelphos33

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
Holy **** € 1159 (64 GB) and € 1329 (256 GB):eek:. That's insane. Where's 128? 64 for me is too small and I'm not going to pay 1329 euro for a bloody phone. Just ip67 and not ip 68, no minijack, no touch id, ugly camerabump and cutout on the front. No thanks, not for that price.

€ 1329 my god.

Reactions: arkitect

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
So what *does* happen when the phone goes to landscape? I'm guessing the spaces around the notch black-out to create a simple letterbox type thing, with the rest of the screen playing the video or whatever is being enjoyed.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008

That is not how it will work. The OS makes sure that cutout area is never used for anything except a few icons, maybe video playback controls. Your video will not be cut off or a game have part of its viewport cut off. A webpage won’t scroll into that area either. You can consider the display to start from underneath the cutout.

I think the part where the new iPhone will succeed or fail is how fast it unlocks without fingerprint sensor. Ideally it’s a case of just picking it up and using it, worst case is a noticeable delay every time you want to use it.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
That is not how it will work. The OS makes sure that cutout area is never used for anything except a few icons, maybe video playback controls. Your video will not be cut off or a game have part of its viewport cut off. A webpage won’t scroll into that area either. You can consider the display to start from underneath the cutout.

I think the part where the new iPhone will succeed or fail is how fast it unlocks without fingerprint sensor. Ideally it’s a case of just picking it up and using it, worst case is a noticeable delay every time you want to use it.
Except that is not what they showed during the keynote

They show video playing behind that godawful notch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.