Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Might be just me, but the look of the OS really looked so dated tonight. The same icons in the same format...blah blah.

Seriously underwhelmed with the X too...and yes I’m another who hates the notch in full screen video/pictures. The tech is nothing new but the latest round of exorbitant pricing certainly is...new levels of ridiculous. Like someone else said previously, I was far more impressed with the Watch Series 3, oh and TV 4K.

MadRed

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
That is not how it will work. The OS makes sure that cutout area is never used for anything except a few icons, maybe video playback controls. Your video will not be cut off or a game have part of its viewport cut off. A webpage won’t scroll into that area either. You can consider the display to start from underneath the cutout.

I think the part where the new iPhone will succeed or fail is how fast it unlocks without fingerprint sensor. Ideally it’s a case of just picking it up and using it, worst case is a noticeable delay every time you want to use it.
where did you see that? the video that was demoed did cut into the video.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I want to buy one but the Intel modem on TMobile may have killed it. Going to wait to hear what reception is like.

4x4 mimo and 256 qam has really made a huge difference on my s8+

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Once people see the SAMOLED display in person they'll forgive the ugly notch. Hopefully, Apple will by then patch the UI software so it displays black bars to mask the ugly notch putting this issue to rest.

Reactions: eric3312

therealjustin

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
I understand how trivial it sounds to some, but I cannot get past the "notch" either. The way Samsung has integrated this area into the S8 and Note8 is a much better solution.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
After watching the video and games blocked by the notched. I am skipping X. iPhone 8+ not enough significant changes either. Might just keep my iPhone 7+. I'm gonna get the watch and Apple TV though. Disappointed about iPhone X. Totally compromised design.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I’m in! I do think using Apple Pay with face ID looks to be more cumbersome. Today we hold it to the reader with thumb on home button and done. Now it looks like a double tap of the side button, bring phone to face, and then back down to the reader.

Reactions: Vanilla35

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Def getting it but sucks we gotta wait. Ill be getting my 2 months refunded from citizens, just got off the phone with them. Got the managers name, ref and Id number, and emailed paperwork to get this sorted out after I get the X.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
this is the first year in a long time that I've been so unimpressed with Apple's offerings. mostly disappointed that iPhone X only comes in one size and is only offered in 64GB/256GB. I need more than 64 but way less than 256. annoying. iPhone 8 not having portrait mode is ignorant. I honestly have no clue which way I'm going to go.

Pretty much this. I'm leaning towards just keeping my 7 plus. The only thing nudging me forward is I planned to give my mother my 7 plus. I may end up just buying her a used 7 plus, Keeping mine and waiting till next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: eric3312

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
And 4 hours less compared to 7plus...
It comes with roughly the same screen size in a smaller form factor. If you really care about battery life then stick to the 8 Plus or your 7 Plus. As a launch 7 Plus user I am not worried at all especially with wireless charging. That much easier to just put the iPhone down and let it charge then constantly plugging and unplugging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.