Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Still on the fence as to whether I'll upgrade or not. I bought a product red 7 to replace a shot original 6 just a few months ago. Initial intention was to give it to my wife when the X came out. Now I'm really not sure. Looks cool, but I think I'm leaning on waiting until the next release with all the bug fixes.

My biggest beef though? Why oh why does a 1k smart phone not at least have 128GB mem as it's BASE? 64? Really?

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Praising, Bashing, Your Call

Good open minded thread you started. I wish apple recall iphone x (even though not released yet). Reason for recalling ugly top cutout bezel. Apple could've make iphone x larger/bigger and adjust the full small bezel on top of the iphone x.
[doublepost=1505301833][/doublepost]
The notch is totally distracting. With everything they showed on the phone, my eye goes to that stupid blackout area.
Many people's comment i am reading here and most are complaining about the top notch/bezel. I also don't like it. Distracting and ugly.
[doublepost=1505302443][/doublepost]
this is the first year in a long time that I've been so unimpressed with Apple's offerings. mostly disappointed that iPhone X only comes in one size and is only offered in 64GB/256GB. I need more than 64 but way less than 256. annoying. iPhone 8 not having portrait mode is ignorant. I honestly have no clue which way I'm going to go.

True its first time Apple has made buying/upgrading iphone so confusing. The cutout bezel on top is a deal breaker on iphone x. Front of iphone 8 has becoming really boring for me now.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
I'm honestly hoping that the soon to be obsolete iPhone 8/8 Plus and the iPhone Notch do very poorly with pre-orders and sales.

The reason Apple keeps getting away with horrible design decisions is because people keep buying their products and compromising their own preferences and desires. (Myself included...but that changes this time around)

I don't like wishing financial setbacks or harm for a company, but I think Tim, Craig, and Ive could use a little slap in the face as a wake-up call.

upload_2017-9-13_10-24-6.png

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
The reason Apple keeps getting away with horrible design decisions is because people keep buying their products and compromising their own preferences and desires. (Myself included...but that changes this time around)
Yep. I'm guilty of it too. I upgraded from a 6S+ to a 7+. Why? I can't remember what the trade off was, but I do remember losing the headphone jack and being inconvenienced multiple times since.

No longer am I going to "upgrade" just for the sake of having the latest model. Unless something incredible tempts me, I'm sticking with my 7+.

ridenourda03

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Flathead Valley, Montana
Its that time of the year again... New iPhones! Planning on upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone X through Apple.com. Might take some time getting used to not having a home button, but I'm stoked to give this new phone a shot. Noticed Zagg has Invisible Shields available on their website for pre order today. Got mine on pre order. I always use the OtterBox Commuter Series cases for my phones. Waiting for them to become available too. October 27th can't come quick enough. Hopefully no damn Typhoons this year delaying orders. My 7 Plus was part of that last year. #TeamTyphoon :p

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Or... don't expand the video so it's stretched that far. Were you even watching the keynote?

So don't watch a video full screen? That's a solution? Why don't I put a piece of construction paper on the top of my computer screen and watch a movie, but adjust the Window size to make it smaller so the...construction paper doesn't cover my content. Seriously?

upload_2017-9-13_12-25-30.png

It's not just full screen YouTube videos, it's pictures, games, etc. Look at the pictures on Apple's own website:

upload_2017-9-13_12-20-42.png

upload_2017-9-13_12-23-7.png

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This event was supposed to be dedicated to Steve Jobs, and I believe this is the worst tribute that could be made.
Those 2 horns, or that notch, of the iPhone X, is one of the biggest flaw in Apple's design history. It makes absolutely no sense in terms of User Interface, User Experience and in terms of overall look.
Remember the magic mouse that you had to charge from the back? Or the AirPods charging box with USB C shape plug... This iPhone X is a totally new level.
I know Apple had to find a way to remove their home button (and touch ID), but to provide front camera and a new solution for ID. They had years to think of it, and the solution is this ugly notch?
My last point is that Apple is slowing down the updates and increasing prices. The iPhone X should be the new iPhone, and should be priced the same. Instead, they create a fake iPhone 8 which is 95% similar to the 7, in order to create a new category of product, 30% more expensive.
The design of the iPhone 6 hasn't been improved in 3 iterations (6s, 7, 8). The evolution from the iPhone 3Gs to the 4; 4 to the 5; and 5 to the 6, were great. Since the 10th iPhone was supposed to be an ever bigger evolution, they took 3 years (and not 2), but it's actually an entirely new product.
Face ID and bezel free OLED are now the new products. Expect them coming to all iDevices in the next 3 years. Expect an iPad X, bezel free, oled, face id, and this will be probably coming to the MacBooks at some point. Maybe the iMac Pro will have face ID too.

View attachment 717273 View attachment 717274 View attachment 717275 View attachment 717276 View attachment 717277
Spot on. Completely agree with regards to that stupid notch/2 horns.

Even Essential with their PH1 found a way around their notch when playing games and video.

SharepointGuy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Rhode Island
I have mixed opinions so far but ultimately I will most likely pre-order on the 27th. I do have a 7 plus currently so it's not as huge of a leap as earlier phones.

• Animated Emoji (it just looks really fun and interesting)
  • Wireless Charging (convenience feature but in car charging is exciting)
  • Improved Camera
Dislikes
  • Face ID (feels gimmicky and I know version 1 will have its kinks and we get the best experience in V2)
  • Battery Life (hoping for more than just a few additional hours)
  • $50 increase in 256 version (I know it's only $50 but feels wrong when we already are paying > $1,000)

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
I have mixed opinions so far but ultimately I will most likely pre-order on the 27th. I do have a 7 plus currently so it's not as huge of a leap as earlier phones.

• Animated Emoji (it just looks really fun and interesting)
  • Wireless Charging (convenience feature but in car charging is exciting)
  • Improved Camera
Dislikes
  • Face ID (feels gimmicky and I know version 1 will have its kinks and we get the best experience in V2)
  • Battery Life (hoping for more than just a few additional hours)
  • $50 increase in 256 version (I know it's only $50 but feels wrong when we already are paying > $1,000)

Hate to break it to you, but the 256gb version is actually $150 dollars more:

upload_2017-9-13_13-20-10.png

gordonnay

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Glasgow
With all the leaks I guess I'm not surprised at the pricing, but I was hooing that perhaps for the X like in some speculation before the keynote, that it would include some offers such as iCloud storage and Apple Music, to help sweeten the deal! Guess they've thought they don't need to sweeten anything !

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Rumors before said that iPhone X Powerbutton is not real hatdware button (like iPhone 7 homebutton).

Became this rumor true or was it a fake news and power button is still a real hardware button to press?

odvan

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
What are the odds UN (ugly notch) would disappear in XI version?
I mean they couldn't make touchID (3D or whatever) hence decided switch to faceID for which UN is needed and missed deadline for usual September release dates.
In XI I guess with touchID reappearing only small dot for camera would be left in centre of status bar.
But who knows.

Listerman

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Maybe it's been answered somewhere but how will Facial ID integrate with existing apps on Day 1? Will it seamlessly replace Touch ID and all apps with Touch ID authentication will work automatically or are we waiting months for developers to update?

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
That notch, man.... :mad: Why don't they just leave the two sides/horns with a black background and let the cell carrier, time and signal strength bars stay as white text? Seems to be the most simple and elegant solution; you know the type of solution Steve Jobs would require... :(

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
So if rumours are correct Apple tried really hard to implement Touch ID under the screen but failed. No doubt screen protectors would also preclude on-screen Touch ID. If Face ID is so great why did they even bother?

Now they’re in the situation where even if they do manage to get it to work they can’t go back. They talked up the completely new navigation system and returning to a software home button would just be admitting the iPhone X is an interim and somewhat flawed product.

What I wonder most about the new phone is the ergonomics of needing to constantly swipe up from the bottom and of having to interact with UI elements across the bottom of the device rather than just the middle, as is the case with the home button.

Reactions: needfx

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I'm honestly hoping that the soon to be obsolete iPhone 8/8 Plus and the iPhone Notch do very poorly with pre-orders and sales.

I don't like wishing financial setbacks or harm for a company, but I think Tim, Craig, and Ive could use a little slap in the face as a wake-up call.

View attachment 717382
iphone notch :D

Reactions: eric3312

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
supply shortages... still an issue with the delayed release or did pushing to November help it?

It would suck if the X sold out in 20seconds on release day.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I might skip launch day and try to pick up a used X when the hype dies and supply increases. The X isn't a "must have" on launch for me. This opinion might change in the next month lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.