Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
About G5 Jaguar, what exactly could be preventing it from booting in 970FX G5s? The processor identifier itself, and/or the PCI-X interface?
PCI-X is supported as the original G5s have it. It is the "unknown" CPU.

Reactions: Jubadub

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I agree. I use mostly OS 9 for everyday things, like word processing and very simple video editing. I want to get back into OS 9 as My mac experience in 1999-2000 was cut short due to a loss of job and income and had to sell my less than 6 month G4 350 Sawtooth set up. At that time, I didn't know about OS X, but OS 9 was the operating system I used back then. Currently right now, I am using OS 9.2.2 on my G4 Titanium 1GHZ to emulate windows 2000 and DOS, so I can play older games I grew up with.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
As I was reading up on simple OpenFirmware guides to do some CPU spoofing, but before I did anything, my 2.7GHz G5 silently crashed under Mac OS X (which was just idling for some minutes) in an unusual way (no loud fans), and ever since then, it could never boot again. It has been 3 days since. Sad. :( It had been some months since I last turned it on, though, but looking inside, nothing seemed visually amiss (no leakage or anything). When booting, fans start up, pipe down (which is normal), and then absolutely nothing happens further. No picture or anything. At ONE point, though, I noticed it started looping the fan procedure (fans starting up, then piping down, repeatedly). But after letting it sit for some hours (turned off), it went back to just not doing anything after the initial fan procedure. On a side note, if the fan procedure is "looping", then the only way to turn the machine off is by cutting off the power (i.e. pulling power cable). Otherwise, it can shut down forcibly by holding down the power button like "normal".

I still think people ought to try reaching the goal of having Jaguar on their 970FX-based G5s, though. I highly believe in it. It's just that sadly now I cannot try to contribute. :( If only 2.7GHz G5s had Quad-level reliability... (I will still try to save this machine, though.)

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
As I was reading up on simple OpenFirmware guides to do some CPU spoofing, but before I did anything, my 2.7GHz G5 silently crashed under Mac OS X (which was just idling for some minutes) in an unusual way (no loud fans), and ever since then, it could never boot again. It has been 3 days since. Sad. :( It had been some months since I last turned it on, though, but looking inside, nothing seemed visually amiss (no leakage or anything). When booting, fans start up, pipe down (which is normal), and then absolutely nothing happens further. No picture or anything. At ONE point, though, I noticed it started looping the fan procedure (fans starting up, then piping down, repeatedly). But after letting it sit for some hours (turned off), it went back to just not doing anything after the initial fan procedure. On a side note, if the fan procedure is "looping", then the only way to turn the machine off is by cutting off the power (i.e. pulling power cable). Otherwise, it can shut down forcibly by holding down the power button like "normal".

I still think people ought to try reaching the goal of having Jaguar on their 970FX-based G5s, though. I highly believe in it. It's just that sadly now I cannot try to contribute. :( If only 2.7GHz G5s had Quad-level reliability... (I will still try to save this machine, though.)
Sorry to hear about your G5.

What were the commands in OF you were going to try? I haven’t screwed around with that since the first time I ever installed Leopard on an unsupported G4 (dual 800MHz QS in circa 2010).

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I was trying to figure out all CPU-related properties, how to set them, and to what values they should be set. I didn't dive in deeper than that the moment I noticed my G5 froze (for good).

I was consulting these for starters:

Plus lots of duckduckgoing.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I thought I should add a note here for anyone trying to work out how to install Jaguar.

I used a Powerbook G4 1.33 12", but this will work on most unsupported macs.

The main thing to note is that (at least for me), I couldn't install 10.2 nor 10.3 in their base forms. I had to install 10.2.8 to make it work. However to get an installer for 10.2.8, you need the DVD iso from archive.org.

Since I don't have burnable DVDs, and also my PB can't seem to boot from USB, I did the following to install Jag:

1) Installed 10.2 onto an iBook G3.
2) Updated to 10.2.8 via the combo update.
3) Used SuperDuper to clone the 10.2.8 Jaguar installation onto USB
4) Used SuperDuper on the PowerBook to clone 10.2.8 onto a spare partition.

Problems:
1) As in the OP, I couldn't rewake the PB from sleep mode
2) Once I booted into 10.2.8 on the Powerbook, it detected that I had an Airport Card, but it couldn't connect to modern internet bases, which is what Airport Extreme is meant to allow. Instead I had to connect via WEP. (I couldn't find any update from Apple that enabled Jaguar to read Airport Extreme, I guess it must be encoded within the official PB G4 Jaguar DVD – so that may be a problem with my method).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Instead I had to connect via WEP. (I couldn't find any update from Apple that enabled Jaguar to read Airport Extreme, I guess it must be encoded within the official PB G4 Jaguar DVD – so that may be a problem with my method).
WPA support came with Panther 10.3.3 and AirPort update 4.2 IIRR.

Reactions: ak-78

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Maybe on yours, but 1Ghz I don’t think supports it, or maybe it does ?
Nope - Puma didn't boot on my 867 MHz which is the same as the 1 GHz apart from the CPU speed and twice the VRAM. In any case, @LightBulbFun owns that machine now, maybe he can get it to work. He got Puma to boot on an 800 MHz iBook G3 which shipped with 10.2.1 FWIW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.