Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
FYI, I have a Mac Pro 6 core connected to a Dell 5k monitor (two DP) and I get a flicker on the right hand side of the screen when I do any intense hard drive activity. So if I test the drive speed I get lots of flickering and at idle very little. Using a scaled screen mode gave more flickering but the default half res did not stop it completely.

I too went to Apple to complain and they did replace my graphics card but I still got the issue. I then contacted Apple Care and got the run around for several month to be told they can see something but it might be fitted in an OS update in the future and good bye. Later I did find that some beta versions of Mac OS did not flicker, so I suspect a graphics driver issue.

Since then I have replaced the CPU to a 10 core and replaced the hard drive to a Samsung NVME drive and it still flickers.

In the end I fitted an external graphics card (Radeon VII) and I now get no flicker.

Yes
When I use blackmagic egpu pro
There is no flicker

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Thanks for info

I am using @30Hz by SwitchResX to avoid flicker

I know but after using my monitor @30Hz before I found the solution I wanted to change my macpro and buying a macmini with eGPU. It's unusable for me.

The solution is using an Airplay connected device to project or a monitor that support also HDMI and attaching two video output cable to the macpro and using only dp to have no flicker at all because HDMI on macpro is @30Hz.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I know but after using my monitor @30Hz before I found the solution I wanted to change my macpro and buying a macmini with eGPU. It's unusable for me.

The solution is using an Airplay connected device to project or a monitor that support also HDMI and attaching to video output cable to the macpro and using only dp to have no flicker at all because HDMI on macpro is @30Hz.

Mac Pro is still worth to keep. Xeon CPU, ECC ram, elegant design
the Mac Pro could use egpu too by purge-wrangler script

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I have the Dell 5K and the Mac Pro. These issues are almost always the result of somewhat poor pre-emphasis negotiation by the display controller and lower quality cabling. The upshot is that you should use the shortest and highest quality displayport cables that you can. You should also ensure that there is not additional cabling or other sources of interference around.

chriskuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
Sydney Australia
@chkwong are you saying that having a second monitor in any port (or only HDMI) has stoped the issue?

I'm at a loss since my HDMI port either doesn't work anymore or doesn't like my two monitors here, but I can connect a second monitor via a second DP to HDMI. Given your understanding of the problem should this work too? Or does it have to be the same resolution / sync?

@sparkplug37 interesting about the HD activity I'll have to try a speed test on mine as well..

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
@chkwong are you saying that having a second monitor in any port (or only HDMI) has stoped the issue?

I'm at a loss since my HDMI port either doesn't work anymore or doesn't like my two monitors here, but I can connect a second monitor via a second DP to HDMI. Given your understanding of the problem should this work too? Or does it have to be the same resolution / sync?

@sparkplug37 interesting about the HD activity I'll have to try a speed test on mine as well..

Second monitor may stop the flicker

I tried airplay and Sidecar, both can stop flicker

haven’t tried second monitor through HDMI or DisplayPort

Reactions: chriskuta

beccas

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2016
Has anyone had reoccurring kernel panics (and subsequent failure to boot into OS outside of safe mode) with 2013 MP w/ D500 upon bootup? The logs appear to show it is GPU related.

chriskuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
Sydney Australia
@beccas - No, in all of this, my machine hasn't ever crashed or had a kernel panic.

@chkwong - Thanks for the advice.. I've been using the machine for 5 hours today and haven't had any problems (with a second monitor connected). Go figure...

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
@beccas - No, in all of this, my machine hasn't ever crashed or had a kernel panic.

@chkwong - Thanks for the advice.. I've been using the machine for 5 hours today and haven't had any problems (with a second monitor connected). Go figure...

good to know that
my LG 5k only has one input ...I am thinking is there any method to fake a second display in macOS?

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I have found there is a HDMI signal dummy from amazon. Maybe can use to fake a second display.
haven't tried yet

Attachments

• B6B10F2A-C8D2-4DFA-84C5-BB018CD2D402.jpeg
    B6B10F2A-C8D2-4DFA-84C5-BB018CD2D402.jpeg
    743 KB · Views: 192

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010

Hey, I'm saying that you can attach the same monitor with dp and hdmi to the macpro using two cables. And the issue stop.

If you don't have an hdmi on your monitor you can try to use airplay to project your monitor to another source and check if the issue stop.

You have to use the hdmi port on the macpro. Using two dp is not a solution in my case.
[automerge]1579602046[/automerge]
I have found there is a HDMI signal dummy from amazon. Maybe can use to fake a second display.
haven't tried yet

Can you share amazon link so in the case I can eliminate the hdmi cable from macpro to monitor?

EDIT: https://www.amazon.it/EasyDiy-Emula...signal+dummy&qid=1579602058&sr=8-1-fkmr1&th=1

Maybe I can give it a try to see if I can remove my hdmi cable.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Hey, I'm saying that you can attach the same monitor with dp and hdmi to the macpro using two cables. And the issue stop.

If you don't have an hdmi on your monitor you can try to use airplay to project your monitor to another source and check if the issue stop.

You have to use the hdmi port on the macpro. Using two dp is not a solution in my case.
[automerge]1579602046[/automerge]

Can you share amazon link so in the case I can eliminate the hdmi cable from macpro to monitor?

EDIT: https://www.amazon.it/EasyDiy-Emulatore-display-Displayport-4096x2160/dp/B07B9X8G7Z/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=HDMI+signal+dummy&qid=1579602058&sr=8-1-fkmr1&th=1

Maybe I can give it a try to see if I can remove my hdmi cable.

Yes , it is the HDMI signal dummy
Look forward to your test

airplay is not good solution as every time Mac Pro go to sleep, need to reconnect airplay again

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Yes , it is the HDMI signal dummy
Look forward to your test

airplay is not good solution as every time Mac Pro go to sleep, need to reconnect airplay again

Airplay is a short term solution... But it was the thing that helped me finding the hdmi solution.

Will try if I can have the hdmi dummy in short time and in case get it back to amazon if it doesn't work.

EDIT: ok the hdmi dummy will be here tomorrow, I will let you know.

Last edited:

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Airplay is a short term solution... But it was the thing that helped me finding the hdmi solution.

Will try if I can have the hdmi dummy in short time and in case get it back to amazon if it doesn't work.

EDIT: ok the hdmi dummy will be here tomorrow, I will let you know.

Great !
Strange that high Sierra no such flicker problem

Did anyone report to Apple about this flicker problem in Catalina already ?

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Great !
Strange that high Sierra no such flicker problem

Did anyone report to Apple about this flicker problem in Catalina already ?

I have it both in Mojave and Catalina. Starting with mojave. HS no flicker at all. I don't know why.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Windows 10 bootcamp no flicker too
4K at 60hz

If you use only the dp cable with macOS you have the flicker. But, if you start a Virtual Machine in VmWare Fusion you don't have the flicker in the VM but you have in macOS.

I was dealing with it from Mojave's launch and finally the only solution found was to add the hdmi cable. Maybe the dummy hdmi will be a solution too.

Reactions: chkwong

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
If you use only the dp cable with macOS you have the flicker. But, if you start a Virtual Machine in VmWare Fusion you don't have the flicker in the VM but you have in macOS.

I was dealing with it from Mojave's launch and finally the only solution found was to add the hdmi cable. Maybe the dummy hdmi will be a solution too.

I think the issue is related to gpu slot 2 . and it is related to Metal API.

stressing it with Geekbench 5 with compute api metal testing gpu slot 2, the flicker is gone during the test.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
The MP 2013 bad graphics card flickering is usually fairly evenly distributed around the screen and also usually involves the screen going briefly completely dark. The flickering that happens on just the right edge of the screen with 4K displays is sometimes a bad DisplayPort cable or a cable with insufficient bandwidth (not certified as DisplayPort 1.2 or better). This used to be very common a few years back when 4K displays were first becoming popular and even the cables included with the monitors had issues.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
The MP 2013 bad graphics card flickering is usually fairly evenly distributed around the screen and also usually involves the screen going briefly completely dark. The flickering that happens on just the right edge of the screen with 4K displays is sometimes a bad DisplayPort cable or a cable with insufficient bandwidth (not certified as DisplayPort 1.2 or better). This used to be very common a few years back when 4K displays were first becoming popular and even the cables included with the monitors had issues.

just tried two different apple thunderbolt cable , 50cm and 2m
Still have right edge screen flicker

chriskuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
Sydney Australia
I've been using a second monitor for a few days now (its an older 4:3 Dell 2007FP) connected via DP > HDMI > DVI. Running at 1600x1200 @60Hz - remember that rez? :)

I've not had any issues, no flickering or lines or flashes. Confirming that the primary monitor (Dell U2718Q) is running at 3840x2160@60Hz (scaled looks like 2560x1440).

Reactions: chkwong

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I've been using a second monitor for a few days now (its an older 4:3 Dell 2007FP) connected via DP > HDMI > DVI. Running at 1600x1200 @60Hz - remember that rez? :)

I've not had any issues, no flickering or lines or flashes. Confirming that the primary monitor (Dell U2718Q) is running at 3840x2160@60Hz (scaled looks like 2560x1440).

next is to try HDMI dummy dongle
The original one is Newertech HDMI headless.
There is also cheaper dongle made by China.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
next is to try HDMI dummy dongle
The original one is Newertech HDMI headless.
There is also cheaper dongle made by China.

Mine had to be here on wednesday but amazon has a delay in shipment. Maybe today or monday I can tell how does a dummy hdmi work for the macpro.
[automerge]1579850961[/automerge]
just tried two different apple thunderbolt cable , 50cm and 2m
Still have right edge screen flicker

It's not the cable. The only solution is to have to output one from dp and one from hdmi for no flickering @60hz.

I tried five different monitors, three different cables etc. The only solution found was to output on both hdmi and dp. Luckily my monitor has both.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
this one seeems to be better built and support macOS

Attachments

• 51CB3C44-FEF4-4945-9A5E-9BC9EC40FF60.jpeg
    51CB3C44-FEF4-4945-9A5E-9BC9EC40FF60.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 155

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Mine had to be here on wednesday but amazon has a delay in shipment. Maybe today or monday I can tell how does a dummy hdmi work for the macpro.
[automerge]1579850961[/automerge]

It's not the cable. The only solution is to have to output one from dp and one from hdmi for no flickering @60hz.

I tried five different monitors, three different cables etc. The only solution found was to output on both hdmi and dp. Luckily my monitor has both.

I have tried your solution with success
One thunderbolt output to LG 5k
and one HDMI output to old monitor

no flicker at 60hz then

the old monitor does not need to be power on. even if HDMI connected to old monitor switched off, Macos still recognises the second display

i think HDMI dummy should be a success too

Reactions: CC88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.