Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvandrunen

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
How many cycles do you have?
55 cycles. Also, I take back my previous statement. Computer hit 61% and immediately the fans started ramping up. I turned off wifi and worked for a while. I'm at 44% battery now and with WiFi back on, no crazy process activity yet. However, I did somehow kill my spotlight. I've rebooted, but spotlight search doesn't show any programs or files anymore. Just website results and stuff.

cristi0x1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2023
I'm thinking this might be related to a faulty WiFi/Bluetooth card. Today I had to format and downgrade from Ventura to Monterey because my mouse was disconnecting and scroll wasn't working. I thought it's a Ventura issue.

After the clean install the same mouse issue happened on Monterey. Now when trying to access Bluetooth settings I get: "Could not load Bluetooth preference pane."

The interesting part is that the configd issue didn't show up.

I ordered a new wifi/bluetooth board from ebay and hopefully it will fix both issues.
Replacement card arrived but it behaves just like with the old one. On top of the configd issue now I need to use a 3d party dongle to connect my magic mouse and other bluetooth devices.

I will shortly describe the issue, maybe it's related with the configd one and somebody has an idea on how to fix it: when using MBP bluetooth, my magic mouse works for 30 seconds or so then reconnects and the scroll is not working anymore. If I kill bluetoothd the behaviour repeats.

Randomly I see bluetoothd process using %200+ cpu and fans going crazy. It's not as stubborn as configd, when killing it does not reappear.

What I tried without success: SMC and PRAM reset, format and clean install both Monterey and Ventura, replace the WiFI/Bluetooth card with one bought from eBay.

Issue doesn't happen with a 3d party Bluetooth dongle. Issue happens both on battery and plugged in.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Having the same exact issues. This has become a nightmare.

MacBook Pro Mid 2015.

Battery replaced about a year ago (iFixit part), not sure for how long it's been going on but it's definitely driving me crazy since I can't replicate it every time.

I noticed that it triggers 99% of the times when it's on battery.

At first it seemed strictly correlated to the network sharing option, which I've stopped using.
It got better - can't lie - but it did not go away.

Also noticed that when I was using network sharing the whole "Sharing" panel in System Preferences got corrupted.
I couldn't access it and I would receive an error (can't remember specifically what it stated but it was something generic).

I assume that indicates that the whole thing is strictly correlated to some network changes/configurations/devices or who knows what.

Tried many workarounds but nothing seems to do the job other than holding down the power button and pray that at the next start up both configd and the other processes don't go back hammering on the CPU.

It usually happens again if i re-boot up while not plugged on power.
If the machine boots up while on power nothing usually happens; after I unplug the power cable it's usually when - in certain conditions - the whole issue replicates again.

I know this is becoming a pretty old machine - while the CPU is still okay for many use cases - but this single issue is making it so unstable and unreliable it's so frustrating.

pvandrunen

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
Having the same exact issues. This has become a nightmare.

MacBook Pro Mid 2015.

Battery replaced about a year ago (iFixit part), not sure for how long it's been going on but it's definitely driving me crazy since I can't replicate it every time.

I noticed that it triggers 99% of the times when it's on battery.

At first it seemed strictly correlated to the network sharing option, which I've stopped using.
It got better - can't lie - but it did not go away.

Also noticed that when I was using network sharing the whole "Sharing" panel in System Preferences got corrupted.
I couldn't access it and I would receive an error (can't remember specifically what it stated but it was something generic).

I assume that indicates that the whole thing is strictly correlated to some network changes/configurations/devices or who knows what.

Tried many workarounds but nothing seems to do the job other than holding down the power button and pray that at the next start up both configd and the other processes don't go back hammering on the CPU.

It usually happens again if i re-boot up while not plugged on power.
If the machine boots up while on power nothing usually happens; after I unplug the power cable it's usually when - in certain conditions - the whole issue replicates again.

I know this is becoming a pretty old machine - while the CPU is still okay for many use cases - but this single issue is making it so unstable and unreliable it's so frustrating.

Hey @nick430,

I'm grateful that you are sharing your experience. It certainly is curious. I love my old mac, it works great and just keeps going — with the exception of these really odd behaviors. I typically pop open the terminal and use that to kill all the offending services. Sometimes I'll just repeat that code over and over until it says the error that there is no service by that name. Or I'll turn off wifi and turn it back on again or I'll close the laptop and then open it again. I also see the corespotlight going bonkers. So I'm curious if all of those services all have some code related to the battery use that's messed up. All we can do is keep documenting and maybe someone who knows what they are doing can debug this. Maybe Louis Rossmann ...

Can we determined that this is 100% related to a battery replacement?

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
I am totally not an expert on MacBook components but I am wondering if original OEM Apple batteries have some component/chip that no OEM parts don’t.

I’ve seen something similar with iPhone batteries, which was strictly correlated to the fact that after the battery gets replaced, iPhone shows an error message which is - from my understanding - triggered by the fact that the battery component/chip does not get detected.

Based on the fact that multiple people reported that the issue did not go away after they clean re-installed the whole machine I would assume that this is not something triggered by a broken configuration.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I am totally not an expert on MacBook components but I am wondering if original OEM Apple batteries have some component/chip that no OEM parts don’t.

I’ve seen something similar with iPhone batteries, which was strictly correlated to the fact that after the battery gets replaced, iPhone shows an error message which is - from my understanding - triggered by the fact that the battery component/chip does not get detected.

Based on the fact that multiple people reported that the issue did not go away after they clean re-installed the whole machine I would assume that this is not something triggered by a broken configuration.

It does sound like hardware but I've had OEM and non-OEM battery replacements with no problems. So I'm thinking that it may be some OEM batteries or something was broken or not reinstalled with the battery replacements.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Mine is an iFixit genuine battery. I'm not sure if the issued started happening right after I swapped it, probably not otherwise I think I would've noticed right away since I was a bit skeptical on replacing my battery with non OEM in the first place.

I recall swapping the battery and not having issues but I suspect it all began when I upgraded to from Catalina to Monterey.

I was trying to figure out if Console could be useful for investigating but there's an endless amount of log entries and I have no idea where to begin with. Pretty sure that some hints can be found there but I'm definitely far from knowing exactly where to look.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Elements which seem to be some sort of recurrent pattern for most people:

- non OEM battery replaced
- not being plugged into AC
- having Wi-Fi turned on and/or being connected to a Wi-Fi network
- issue does not 100% replicate when connected to AC
- involved processes are configd, mds_stores and sometimes powerd
- MacBook Pro 2015 model

pvandrunen

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
It does sound like hardware but I've had OEM and non-OEM battery replacements with no problems. So I'm thinking that it may be some OEM batteries or something was broken or not reinstalled with the battery replacements.
This is interesting, I sent a message to ifixit about this and the immediate response was that they would send a replacement battery, I simply assumed they didn't understand the problem. But maybe they REALLY understand the problem and the problem is they have batches of batteries that are 50/50 good/crap.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
This is interesting, I sent a message to ifixit about this and the immediate response was that they would send a replacement battery, I simply assumed they didn't understand the problem. But maybe they REALLY understand the problem and the problem is they have batches of batteries that are 50/50 good/crap.
Is that something you did right after you replaced the battery or months after?

bugaj

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023

- MacBook Pro 2015 model
Exactly !
I have a MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2013) running Big Sur and I have the same problems, when I watch a youtube video in chrome on battery since November 2022.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Exchanging some emails with iFixit at the moment. They kindly offered my a 50% discount on a new battery to give it a try. I understand since I swapped it more than a year ago and warranty is well past expiry date.
I've been told that for now they only had one similar report.

At this point I'm really not sure if I should bet (or waste) 50 bucks for a new battery with no guarantee.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Has anyone with this problem used a non-iFixit Battery replacement?

I do not recall the brand of battery that the repair shop put in but I'd never heard of it before but it works just fine. I did look up the brand and, it's just a battery.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Has anyone with this problem used a non-iFixit Battery replacement?

I do not recall the brand of battery that the repair shop put in but I'd never heard of it before but it works just fine. I did look up the brand and, it's just a battery.
From my understanding not even a iFixit makes their own batteries. They most likely rely on trusted manufacturers.

I’m pretty sure that replacement batteries that cost half the price would do just fine. Maybe with non-branded batteries there’s just a higher chance to receive a defected unit (simply less quality control).

Edit:

By the way this morning I also noticed that when the whole thing replicates RAM also gets completely clogged up too.
I checked the cleanmyMac widget (activity monitor was already unresponsive) and I had something like 16 MB left.

Last edited:

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Just replaced my battery with a "new" one from iFixit. Manufacture date apparently is still 2015...

I'll keep this post updated once I figure out if the CPUs issue replicates again.

Reactions: pvandrunen

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
UPDATE:

And right as I was expecting it happened again, as if nothing happened (around 60% or so, not that it would matter).

I couldn't even reach a full discharge...good to know I just wasted 50 bucks :mad:

pvandrunen

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
UPDATE:

And right as I was expecting it happened again, as if nothing happened (around 60% or so, not that it would matter).

I couldn't even reach a full discharge...good to know I just wasted 50 bucks :mad:
🤮 That's SO frustrating. 50$ and your time replacing the battery. We don't think this is a battery-gate conspiracy do we? I'm curious if we could get someone like Louis Rossman to look into it? I just sent an email through the contact form.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
🤮 That's SO frustrating. 50$ and your time replacing the battery. We don't think this is a battery-gate conspiracy do we? I'm curious if we could get someone like Louis Rossman to look into it? I just sent an email through the contact form.
Btw thank goodness iFixit gave me a 50% off coupon otherwise they would have been 100 bucks wasted.

Would be very interesting but I assume that he'd need to look at a faulty unit to draw some conclusion.

By now the only thing I have not tried is a full machine format, which is something I would prefer not to try since I have so much data on my drive and tbh I'm a little skeptical about TimeMachine. If restoring does fail for some reason, I'm screwed.

I do have a bunch of M.2 SSDs but guess what...Apple has it's own connector so that's not an option either.

pvandrunen

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
Btw thank goodness iFixit gave me a 50% off coupon otherwise they would have been 100 bucks wasted.

Would be very interesting but I assume that he'd need to look at a faulty unit to draw some conclusion.

By now the only thing I have not tried is a full machine format, which is something I would prefer not to try since I have so much data on my drive and tbh I'm a little skeptical about TimeMachine. If restoring does fail for some reason, I'm screwed.

I do have a bunch of M.2 SSDs but guess what...Apple has it's own connector so that's not an option either.

The reply from Rossmann group:

"We've seen this issue with plenty of other brand batteries as well so it shouldn't be an issue with just iFixit's batteries and likely an issue with the manufactures batteries that are sold. In most cases just replacing the battery should solve the issue in rare instances it's a logic board issue caused by a battery so in those cases it'd require a logic board repair."

Interesting, "a logic board issue caused by a battery" ... Maybe worth sending it to Rossmann group if they have dealt with this issue already.

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
I've asked iFixit if it's normal to see 2015 as a manufacture date and also the same battery s/n and they told me "It's indeed the same serial number, obviously the same batch"

Like, how can you even sell a battery that has been sitting there for 8 years?!
Not sure if a battery is still supposed to be considered "okay" after all this time.

Anyway I now installed Monterey on an external SSD (via USB). Let's see how it goes.

Been testing it on battery for the last 30 minutes, funny enough config, powerd and mds_store don't even show up in Activity Monitors (it almost sounds like a joke...). The laptop is not even hot, almost warm.

On my main installation they are always running even when connected to AC.

Last edited:

jboliv

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2023
Hi everyone, these below are 100% exactly what happened to me. I must say this is the 2nd time I replaced the battery on this same machine. According to "coconut battery" app, the manufacturer of this battery is "Simplo", if that helps.

I've been using Monterrey for very long and with my previous replacement battery that never happened. I have 32 cycles on this new one.

Regarding the issue appearing at battery level < 65% some people said, I believe today was the first time I let it go lower this number on the new battery. I rarely use it unplugged for more than an hour.

- MacBook Pro 2015 model

jboliv

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2023
Wait, I have one thing different!

I actually replaced the battery in August 2022. What I did replace recently was the motherboard. My 2015 15' MBP is the one they built and sold officially up to 2017 which was when I bought it, but the replacement motherboard says it was built in Oct 2015 (I bought an used mobo... And yes this computer is a frankenstein).

When I said above this is the 1st I dropped below 65% on battery it is since I replaced the motherboard with an older one. On my original motherboard, I didn't have this issue

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Sharing an update on what I’ve been trying to sort out after the second battery replacement.

Since the issue still replicated, as if nothing happened, I decided to go for a full Monterey OS reinstallation (not on my main drive but on external SSD).

This is what I came across:

- clean install: powerd, configd, mds stores are not even running of showing up in activity monitor

- clean install + full TimeMachine restore: the issue replicated again and the mentioned processes did show up as ti nothing happened

- clean install + Time Machine restore of applications and system settings (no user data/folder): issue, apparently did not replicate, and mentioned processes did not show up in activity monitor

At this point, I thought it was probably something broken in my user folder.

I then reinstalled the OS from scratch and restored my full Time Machine backup and as a final step on installed or softwares with clean my Mac X utility. Rebooted. Mentioned processes were still there and I assume, since I haven’t tested this extensively, that the issue was very likely to replicate again.

Now leaving all these tests to the side, I created a new local user (on my main drive) and started migrating all files and folders. I‘m noticing that if my Mac boots up with the new user only, the mentioned processes don’t show up as running but I still need to figure out if the issues shows up again or not when on battery.

TLDR: I suspect this could be a user issues (at least in my case). Specifically some leftovers in /users/myuser/library

VladOliinyk

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2023
Sharing an update on what I’ve been trying to sort out after the second battery replacement.

Since the issue still replicated, as if nothing happened, I decided to go for a full Monterey OS reinstallation (not on my main drive but on external SSD).

This is what I came across:

- clean install: powerd, configd, mds stores are not even running of showing up in activity monitor

- clean install + full TimeMachine restore: the issue replicated again and the mentioned processes did show up as ti nothing happened

- clean install + Time Machine restore of applications and system settings (no user data/folder): issue, apparently did not replicate, and mentioned processes did not show up in activity monitor

At this point, I thought it was probably something broken in my user folder.

I then reinstalled the OS from scratch and restored my full Time Machine backup and as a final step on installed or softwares with clean my Mac X utility. Rebooted. Mentioned processes were still there and I assume, since I haven’t tested this extensively, that the issue was very likely to replicate again.

Now leaving all these tests to the side, I created a new local user (on my main drive) and started migrating all files and folders. I‘m noticing that if my Mac boots up with the new user only, the mentioned processes don’t show up as running but I still need to figure out if the issues shows up again or not when on battery.

TLDR: I suspect this could be a user issues (at least in my case). Specifically some leftovers in /users/myuser/library
So, does it helped you?

nick430

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
At the moment the issue did not replicate at all.

I’m going back and forth between old and new user since I’m migrating data from one folder to another and I did notice that the 3 processes are running when I’m logged in with the old user.
As soon as I log off and go with the new one they all disappear from activity monitor.

So for now, no issues.

UPDATE - day 3:

Been using is on battery and also connected to an external monitor. Still no issues for now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.