Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

coklicot01

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
Posted on Reddit that it’s been that way on macOS15 (Sequoia) early beta?
is exclusively to this OS can’t be turned off .
So you do have it as well...no way to disable incoming connection through terminal ?

Last edited:

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
look here it is , it's so weird like the classroom app services preinstalled ... I mean why is it so ultimately I don't think apple dev would let this configuration purposelessly.
just checked again, see it only on the OCLP MacBook Firewall, the native M1 does not show it.
According to apple it helps the ssh program manage private keys in your keychain. This is primarily a tool for developers, but sometimes these old developer tools don't work properly with modern Apple security. So Apple has to add a little hack here and there to make them work. This is one of those hacks.

Maybe OCLP "touched" it ...

Reactions: rehkram

coklicot01

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
Apples official answer: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3066623?sortBy=best

Seems its not only Sequoia related
I was just checking this thread now , and went to open it with BBEdit. I am running and old 9.1 with oclp sequoia , I know didn't have it on Sonoma . I don't know much what to think, if I should be too much concerned after reading this https://eclecticlight.co/2020/08/20/the-vulnerability-in-remote-login-ssh-persists/ & https://threatpost.com/xcode-macos-malware-apple-developers/164897/. thx for your help

coklicot01

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
Apples official answer: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3066623?sortBy=best

Seems its not only Sequoia related
I was just checking this thread now , and went to open it with BBEdit. I am running and old 9.1 with oclp sequoia , I know didn't have it on Sonoma . I don't know much what to think, if I should be too much concerned after reading about Trend Micro on XCSSET malware vulnerability in Remote Login (ssh) &
Trojanized Xcode Project Slips MacOS Malware to Apple Developers.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
My wifi connection longer working. I don't have access to a wired connection. [I do, however, have non-OCLP volumes set-up on the laptop.] Would you kind readers please give me advice for getting my wifi connection (in the Sequoia environment) up-n-running? Thank you!

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
For MBP 14.3 (2017) nothing has changed.
Screen brightness is not adjustable.
After waking up, the screen backlight does not turn on.
There is a problem with obtaining permission to run some applications. The system does not accept the administrator password, but Touch ID works.
Didn’t read your previous post. Just in case

Does AHT run through without issues?
SMC, NVRAM done?
External monitor gets signal with open and closed lid?
Same issue when booting from a non patched external system?

iErich

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Update from sonoma 90 minutes.Done.

Attachments

• sequana.png
    sequana.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 29
  • patcher.png
    patcher.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 29

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
My wifi connection longer working. I don't have access to a wired connection. [I do, however, have non-OCLP volumes set-up on the laptop.] Would you kind readers please give me advice for getting my wifi connection (in the Sequoia environment) up-n-running? Thank you!
have you tried booting into safe mode, trying to patch there and finish in normal mode, thought I read something about that workaround in earlier posts ...

... yes, was discussed here

Reactions: rmadsen3

fractalus

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Help! I was happily running 14.6.1 with Opencore 1.5.0 on my 2015 Macbook Pro - for months. Yesterday, I saw the Opencore 2.0.0 upgrade & installed it then I downloaded Sequoia onto USB installer. The install seemed to be going fine, until the final boot, where it got stuck.

I tried reinstalling, but it always gets stuck at the same point. In verbose mode, the failure seems to be "AppleKeyStore" operation failed. Any ideas?

Thanks.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Some observations for those planning to use Time Machine for Migrating from Sonoma to Sequoia soon FWIW.

I test-migrated two rMBp 10,1 and in the end they appear to be working after some workarounds that are to be expected at this time, as the patches are clearly marked by the devs as a preview. A very polished and useful preview I might add.

A small warning that might save some time for some:
Today's OCLP 2.0n does not work when using Migration Assistant and can bork the receiving Mac in the migration.

Downgrading to stable OCLP 1.5 for MA still works as expected. So migrating a Sonoma install to another Sonoma install and then upgrading that install to Sequoia using OCLP 2.0 and the terminal appears to have worked. The upgrade in System Settings stalled and came and went. Terminal worked first time. Again, FWIW, YMMV.

Just a heads-up that I have seen consistent issues (over many years) with Migration Assistant even with older revisions of OCLP. I no longer even bother with it unless I have a very good reason to make the attempt. I always go in assuming I will be starting fresh and manually moving data.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
have you tried booting into safe mode, trying to patch there and finish in normal mode, thought I read something about that workaround in earlier posts ...

... yes, was discussed here
FYI: I think the 'safe mode' approach doesn't work for me (to restore wifi functionality). MBA 2014.

Do you kind readers know of a way to restore wifi functionality, for MBA 2014, that does not require Ethernet connection? Thank you in advance!

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Just a heads-up that I have seen consistent issues (over many years) with Migration Assistant even with older revisions of OCLP. I no longer even bother with it unless I have a very good reason to make the attempt. I always go in assuming I will be starting fresh and manually moving data.
I hear you. Keeping the versions of stable OS and OCLP the same has however worked well for a long while here.
If not it well be finicky regardless of OCLP or regular MacOS.

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
FYI: I think the 'safe mode' approach doesn't work for me (to restore wifi functionality). MBA 2014.

Do you kind readers know of a way to restore wifi functionality, for MBA 2014, that does not require Ethernet connection? Thank you in advance!

Only thing I could think about is LAN internet sharing between two Macs - if a second one is available .. but never tried it myself yet. But this might help to start searching https://support.apple.com/en-gw/guide/mac-help/mchlp1413/mac#:~:text=Connect a standard Ethernet cable,computer name for each computer.

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 16.08.34.png

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Just to offer an alternative view, after I learned the proper way to migrate, I can't remember ever having issues with Migration Assistant. Migration must be performed from the source to the destination BEFORE applying OCLP post-install patches to the destination.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Help! I was happily running 14.6.1 with Opencore 1.5.0 on my 2015 Macbook Pro - for months. Yesterday, I saw the Opencore 2.0.0 upgrade & installed it then I downloaded Sequoia onto USB installer. The install seemed to be going fine, until the final boot, where it got stuck.

I tried reinstalling, but it always gets stuck at the same point. In verbose mode, the failure seems to be "AppleKeyStore" operation failed. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Start in safe mode perhaps?

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
Only thing I could think about is LAN internet sharing between two Macs - if a second one is available .. but never tried it myself yet. But it is well described https://support.apple.com/en-gw/guide/mac-help/mchlp1413/mac#:~:text=Connect a standard Ethernet cable,computer name for each computer.

View attachment 2419727
In the scenario that I do get this work, what are the next steps? Is there a verified method for restoring wifi functionality, so long as the user has got a wired connection (or, perhaps, a Internet Sharing workaround) in place? Obviously I've not been following this thread so closely. I appreciate your kind advising very, very much!

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
In the scenario that I do get this work, what are the next steps? Is there a verified method for restoring wifi functionality, so long as the user has got a wired connection (or, perhaps, a Internet Sharing workaround) in place? Obviously I've not been following this thread so closely. I appreciate your kind advising very, very much!

I think the patcher needs Internet to load support files ...

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Opencore 2.01 seems to be good for my myriad of elderly machines but I didn't realize until I read the notes closely that OCLP was killing one of the processors in my Mac Pro 3,1 regardless of whether I was running Sequoia or not (I had held off intentionally because I knew this was an issue on Sequoia). A quick check of the preference and reinstall of OLCP 2.01 had restored all my cores for Sonoma (now running on 14.7).

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I stuck Sequoia on an external drive as a test. Everything went as expected, however it's no better than Sonoma in terms of the issues I had with Sonoma like the menu bar turning red, certain audio apps having a slight lag when audio plays, and the screen lags a bit as it scrolls. Besides that, no issues on an iMac 17,1. I am glad that I don't have anything that demands me having the latest version of macOS, and I'm really just doing this to test and see the progress and if I could depend on it, if I had to.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
I think the patcher needs Internet to load support files ...
Ah. Rats!

Seems to me as if my Sequoia install is hosed. [The only thing I want from this set-up is a means to download App Store apps requiring the latest version of macOS.]

If I were to start fresh..a fresh install..even though it'd be a big pain!..is it possible that I'd end-up in the same 'no wifi' spot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.