Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
Ah. Rats!

Seems to me as if my Sequoia install is hosed. [The only thing I want from this set-up is a means to download App Store apps requiring the latest version of macOS.]

If I were to start fresh..a fresh install..even though it'd be a big pain!..is it possible that I'd end-up in the same 'no wifi' spot?
Also: Is it possible that I can just wait for a future version of OCLP -- one that doesn't require Internet access for root patching?

Macman iPowermacbookprair

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2016
Just updated to Sequoia on my MacBookPro11,3 (an early 2011 17"). It works, but it's definitely more sluggish than Sonoma. I've also noticed that the menu bar doesn't appear until I've opened up a program (doesn't matter which one) and that graphics switching has broken, even though it worked fine on Sonoma with OCLP 2.0.1. I'm glad Sequoia's running, but I'll keep my late 2011 on Sonoma for a while.

OTOH, Sequoia's running absolutely fine here on an iMac 12,2 with Metal-compatible gpu (some kind of Polaris FirePro card). Doesn't feel any slower than Sonoma either.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Also: Is it possible that I can just wait for a future version of OCLP -- one that doesn't require Internet access for root patching?

I don't know your workflow sequence so forgive me if you've tried it this way.

Next time, before starting the upgrade, while you still have WiFi or ethernet working, I would recommend you install the latest OCLP (2.0.1 at present), rebuild- and install to the internal drive. Reapply the root patches and check everything is working.

For safety, make a copy of the /Library/Application Support/Dortania folder to a USB drive. The latest version contains a new support package file; I thought it was for Metal support but don't know that for sure.

After testing that the old macOS version + OCLP 2.0.1 is stable and working then, and only then, run the macOS Sequoia installer from your /Applications folder. It will probably require you to apply the root patches again after the first login.

Last edited:
Reactions: houser

tchek

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
Paris - France
Hi,

Cool OTA update from Sonoma 14.7 on late 2013 iMac 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 - 14,1 - 21 Inch
So far so good.
OCLP 2.0.1
😎🌈

sequoia 15.png Capture d’écran 2024-09-17 à 17.32.41.png Capture d’écran 2024-09-17 à 17.32.57.png

Last edited:

stefanwa

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
FYI, another thing I noticed with my MacBookPro13,3 besides the iMessage issue is that unlocking via Apple Watch is no longer working for me and can't be turned on.

macsoundsolutions

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
In my case it seems so! (I'll try a reinstall from stick today if i have the time ;-) still fingers crossed for a bugfix)
Update: install over existing system via stick did NOT fix the problem, so waiting for a bugfix...
I tried reinstalling OC and root patches still same thing in fact it seems worse, it throws a wrench into my router and I have to reboot it as my other computers cant get online once the 6,1 glitches out. I do see folks with 5,1 saying everything is ok, but others who have the issue.

PropClear

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
Gerrmany
I tried reinstalling OC and root patches still same thing in fact it seems worse, it throws a wrench into my router and I have to reboot it as my other computers cant get online once the 6,1 glitches out. I do see folks with 5,1 saying everything is ok, but others who have the issue.
No problem with my router all other macs are online and my test macpro 5,1 does also not have the problem only my production mac and still investigating... ;-(

luckyduke23

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2023
now I also installed MacOS 15.0 Sequoia on my iMac...went like charm...will report glitches...had no wallpaper on startup, just black background...but after 4x NVRAM reset Sequoia wallpaper now appears as intended...

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
This is what I always do with my good old adapter on unsupported macs full installer. Thanx chris1111 for the drivers.

Honestly says for Big Sur but still works perfectly on latest OS and and so useful especially for downloading the smaller OTA updates if you revert patches difference sometimes between a 300mb file or 13gb or in the case above still access to wi-fi if something goes wrong.

fractalus

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Run oclp again.
From Safe Mode? I already tried that, but the application icon is blank (for some unknown reason) and it won't run.

I'll download another copy and try again....

Edit: How odd. I didn't even get a chance to try it. I just finishted my FIFTH reinsall of Sequoia - doing absolutely nothing different - and this time it booted up.

Last edited:
Reactions: amaze1499

josehill

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
mid-2012 13" MacBookPro9,2 with 16 GB RAM, SSD:

Installed OCLP 2.0.1 and then upgraded from macOS 14.6.1 to 15.0.

So far, the system is behaving well. I haven't used it extensively yet, but performance seems fine.

PropClear

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
Gerrmany

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
LutzRFrank said:
I think the patcher needs Internet to load support files .
I don't think that is entirely correct. The OCLP package downloader does have onboard code to install as I understand it. Might be worth your while to try it and give it a few minutes. That has at least worked on my old MBA 3,2. The first pass might put you rudimentarily online and then the second one gives you the latest kexts and stuff,

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
I don't think that is entirely correct. The OCLP package downloader does have onboard code to install as I understand it. Might be worth your while to try it and give it a few minutes. That has at least worked on my old MBA 3,2. The first pass might put you rudimentarily online and then the second one gives you the latest kexts and stuff,
This is true. Also, this version of OCLP 2.0.1 did download an additional Metal.lib in my case.

Reactions: houser

maximegreque

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2024
FYI, another thing I noticed with my MacBookPro13,3 besides the iMessage issue is that unlocking via Apple Watch is no longer working for me and can't be turned on.
I have no issues with Apple Watch unlocking but since Sonoma Touch ID does not work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.