Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Okay, so this is a general problem if you use the same Apple ID in both systems on the same computer?😳

There must be a solution for this while keeping the same Apple ID.🤔
Any ideas?

Using a different Apple ID on the second macOS is out of the question for me, as I want to have a 1:1 image on both systems so that I can really test everything accurately.
On OCLP Settings -> SMBIOS, try to do a Serial Spoofing. I never tried it but it might be enough to trick Apple's iCloud. Also, use a different name for the hostname.
You could have two EFI's each one with one serial (use a USB stick for the second EFI and reset NVRAM every time you switch)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ready-for-Apple

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
If a dev looks at this issue, try going to System Settings - iCloud - Messages and toggling on or off. On the 13,3 MBP, it beachballs and eventually returns an error. If you force quit while beachballing, the popup will show a red message notifying that iCloud is not responding.
It's becoming clear that the MBP 13,3 has an iCloud problem. After signing out and attempting to sign in, now Notes, Contacts and Mail are no longer working in addition to iMessages. Just get endless spinner when trying to sign in. Re-booting does not fix it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 8.34.48.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 8.34.48.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
View attachment 2420889 Can someone please help me
I can’t boot into safe mode but not normally
Mac Pro 5.1
In verbose it get to the end and then gets stuck at
I have updated from sonoma
If it's any consolation, I haven't been able to Safe Boot into Monterey or Sonoma either for quite a long time - it just stalls about half way through (no issues with Big Sur and earlier). Now I'm not sure if it's something to do with boot loading RefindPlus first and then selecting OpenCore to get to Monterey or Sonoma (i.e. are my OpenCore settings causing it?) or if it's something else. Any other cMP 5,1 users have an issue or success in booting to Safe Boot under OpenCore?

luckyduke23

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2023
Problem solved with my iMac 21” 2012… I could not load maps and my computer was sluggish and froze randomly. I rebooted several times and opened OCLP and reinstalled a few times. However, I got desperate and was ready to start over when I clicked on “root patch” one last time and it downloaded another library file…everything has been normal and fairly quick since then. I have no idea why this wasn’t downloaded before as I always had a WiFi connection. Anyway all is good..
sounds like the metal library package...I can just repeat myself...users, that cannot connect their machine(s) to the internet via ethernet need to download and install it from the OCLP Github page manually before updating to Sequoia...after the update to Sequoia you most probably do not have a wifi connection and when doing the patching OCLP cannot load the metal library package which is however essential for most of the unsupported machines now...

luckyduke23

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2023
Would a kind reader here please give very easy to follow 😂 instructions for manually procuring / inserting / replacing Metalib items? My Sonoma set-up was working perfectly and then when I did Sequoia update (via Software Update) I lost wifi. I can't get the post-install phase to download the proper Metalib stuff, not even with a wired connection. I'd really appreciate instructions for doing--manually--whatever it is that I need to do in order to restore wifi functionality? Thank you!
please download the correct package for your MacOS 15 version here: https://github.com/dortania/MetallibSupportPkg/releases
If you are not using beta versions of MacOS 15 it presently is 15.0-24A335 (MetallibSupportPkg-15.0-24A335.pkg)
Install it and upgrade to Sequoia. Once the MacOS was upgraded you will do the OCLP post patching again and OCLP will find the metal library on your system instead trying to download it with missing wifi connection. Good luck.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I could use some help here. I have a serious issue when doing a dual boot of a supported OS and unsupported OS on the same physical drive but using APFS Volumes. The Problem is, once I boot with Open Core, it wants to continue to boot by default, even after a PRAM reset, and this causes graphics and other issues in Monterey (the supported OS). It doesn't matter if I put OC on the SSD, or the HDD of the Fusion drive. It seems like the only way to fix this issue is to remove open core completely from the EFI partition. The triple boot works and all three versions boot as they should, but I am not sure how to use unsupported / supported versions at the same time without OC breaking the supported OS. The only thing I'm aware of is, OC has a setting to allow supported versions, but won't that break the unsupported OS?

FYI, OCLP 2.0.1 and Sequoia. The supported OS' are Mojave and Monterey. iMac 17,1.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
It's becoming clear that the MBP 13,3 has an iCloud problem. After signing out and attempting to sign in, now Notes, Contacts and Mail are no longer working in addition to iMessages. Just get endless spinner when trying to sign in. Re-booting does not fix it.
Hmm. Reverted root patch and repatched again and restarted and Contacts and Notes came straight back up but not iMessages—endless beachball and displays Application Not Responding in Dock. I'm half sure it is an iCloud log-in problem for iMessages. While iMessages shows as on (with X GB of data) in top screenshot, it shows not syncing in bottom screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 10.43.20.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 10.43.20.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
sounds like the metal library package...I can just repeat myself...users, that cannot connect their machine(s) to the internet via ethernet need to download and install it from the OCLP Github page manually before updating to Sequoia...after the update to Sequoia you most probably do not have a wifi connection and when doing the patching OCLP cannot load the metal library package which is however essential for most of the unsupported machines now...
Do I need to do this for my MacBook Pro 11,4? If so, how is this done beforehand ?Btw I always had an internet connection through the process for my 2012 iMac but for some reason it never downloaded until I installed root patches for the third time…. Then it prompted to install the library.

Reactions: luckyduke23

punipuni

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
I installed Sequoia on MacPro5,1 (GPU is RX580) with OCLP2.0.1.
The installation was successful, but I cannot play videos (MPEG-4 AAC, Timed Metadata, HEVC) shot with my iPhone.
Is everyone okay?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Sequoia 15.1 beta 4 working well on my Late 2015 iMac 21.5 16,2 and my Late 2014 MacMini 7,1 just fine with OCLP 2.0.1.

yPChiYgl.jpg
MvvCyYcl.jpg

grillp

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
I still have the iMessages issue stefanwa after trying a clean reinstall so it's a matter of waiting for an OCLP dev response. No Apple Watch so that's not a problem. I have seen one other glitch — sometimes no Dock is displayed at a restart—switching Dock magnification on and off in System Settings usually brings it back.
I have the iMessages Beachballing issue too.. MacBookPro14,3.. OCLP 2.0.1

For the Apple Watch, while a search for the "Allow Apple Watch to unlock your Mac" shows in the Systems Setting Search, the option does not show up on the Touch ID & Password screen.

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

grillp

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
I was about to log out and back into iCloud before I saw your messages. :-/

I can confirm that Notes are still syncing to iCloud with me. This was an update from Sonoma where I was already signed into iCloud. But I still have the beachballing on iMessages.

I tried to turn off iMessage sync in iCloud, but that failed (beachball System Settings) and I needed to reboot.

G./

Marfan-58

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
Lancashire, England
Since this question would apply to any current macOS version, I'll put it here: Is it possible to dual boot from a fusion drive? That's the main reason I've done my dual booting from external drives because I want to keep the Fusion drive in tact for capacity and speed, and I wasn't sure if it's possible to create multiple partitions, or volumes without breaking the Fusion drive. If someone has done this, or know a safe way of doing it, please let me know. Thanks.
Yes, I’ve been dual booting my 14,2 iMac for a few years to test the latest OS version. I currently run my main 14.7 volume plus a test 15.0 volume. With APFS you just create additional volumes as required and select the required volume from the installer.

Saw your earlier post quite late, but just seen your booting issue. Try holding Cmd R on first boot, then move directly to your Monterey HD and hold Ctrl while hitting enter. This should make Monterey HD the default boot drive without going via EFI. To boot to your other volume you will need to use Cmd R in open canopy to select EFI then the volume you want to boot. I’ve been doing this on a 10,1 iMac if I want to boot to High Sierra, the last supported on this model, rather than patched Sonoma.

Last edited:

Ghosthengst77

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
I updated my MacBook pro 11.1 to 15.1 Beta 4. The patch works well so far. But after the post install, the widgets no longer work properly and only the windows are displayed but no graphics. Probably just a minor problem, probably an adjustment to the PatcherSupportPkg.

Ghosthengst77

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
The problem also exists with my iMac 11.2 with an Nvidia Quadro K1100M graphics card.
I hope that this problem will be fixed quickly.

Thanks in advance

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
I was about to log out and back into iCloud before I saw your messages. :-/

I can confirm that Notes are still syncing to iCloud with me. This was an update from Sonoma where I was already signed into iCloud. But I still have the beachballing on iMessages.

I tried to turn off iMessage sync in iCloud, but that failed (beachball System Settings) and I needed to reboot.

G./
Welcome to the club grillp, although I guess we all wish we weren't in it! Yes, I also get the beachballing System Settings when trying turn iMessages on or off. Hopefully, the more of us who post with good details of the issue, the sooner the devs will be able to troubleshoot and fix it.

Reactions: grillp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.