Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
On the contrary: those with the problem tend to be the vocal minority. By and large, most who have posted in the "I bought the MBA" have not seen this issue.
You are right about the vocal minority, but I think these keyboard issues are exception. I know many people with MacBook Pros and they really all have problems with the keyboard. Not sure if they post on forums or not.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You are right about the vocal minority, but I think these keyboard issues are exception. I know many people with MacBook Pros and they really all have problems with the keyboard. Not sure if they post on forums or not.
I get that, but we need to be careful. For one thing, are they all 2018 MacBook Pros? If not, they don't all have the same keyboard.

My wife had issues crop up with her 2015 MacBook and went in and got them fixed. However, that was the first gen. We are now to the point where Apple has tried to mitigate the issue with a membrane and multiple sources have indicated they do seem to help.

Either way, we need to be careful not to invoke pre-2018 MacBook Pro/Air models when discussing the 2018 models because the keyboards have been updated.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
Remember I'm using MBA 2018, which features 3rd gen Butterfly keyboard. People who experience things can safely assume the issue is pretty common. Being just (un)lucky is not common by definition. I haven't joined this forum because of this keyboard. I wish I was so unlucky in this case, because I want to keep the MBA 2018, but with the better keyboard.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
  • Runs a full laptop OS
  • Doesn't run Windows.
It sucks there's only one MacBook keyboard, but the OS and overall user experience are an improvement to anything running Windows.

They sure are, and I really want to stay on macOS obviously. I guess a 2015 MBP isn't that bad, but I'm fairly invested in thunderbolt 3 and USB-C devices and selling them would be both a hassle and downgrade.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I saw a youtube review of MBA 2018 3 months review, and the reviewer said that she had a keyboard problem that was resolved by restarting/reseting the system. Does anyone understand why restarting/resetting the system would resolve a keyboard problem? See 5:00 at video below.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I saw a youtube review of MBA 2018 3 months review, and the reviewer said that she had a keyboard problem that was resolved by restarting/reseting the system. Does anyone understand why restarting/resetting the system would resolve a keyboard problem? See 5:00 at video below.

Firmware issue i suppose. If it's cleared out, it's fine. Those things happen.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks. Her keyboard issue was probably unrelated to other problems people are having with the butterfly mechanism.
There are three issues (including the one you mentioned)
1) Dust under keys
2) Double press
3) Whatever this woman saw

They may be related, they may not be related. I personally don't believe any of the three are.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
ugh. my e, r, ss keys do this double epresss thing. i thought i was going crarzy. has anyone beeen to an apple store and they did anything about it? applee stores are kind of annoying to get to in my metro area.

Horney

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
ugh. my e, r, ss keys do this double epresss thing. i thought i was going crarzy. has anyone beeen to an apple store and they did anything about it? applee stores are kind of annoying to get to in my metro area.

I had a web chat with support who talked me through various resets that didn't work. I went to a store and they cleaned the keyboard and a few days later still no problems.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
So while my MBA is in for keyboard repairs (again), I bought another one to use and then return during the period, and the keyboard on this one is way crisper and more responsive. I checked coconoutbattery.app and it was manufactured in 2/19, mine is 9/18. I wonder if they secretly refined it?

Regardless, I'm pretty close to selling it and going back to a 2015 15" MBP. Tired of this ****.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
So while my MBA is in for keyboard repairs (again), I bought another one to use and then return during the period, and the keyboard on this one is way crisper and more responsive. I checked coconoutbattery.app and it was manufactured in 2/19, mine is 9/18. I wonder if they secretly refined it?

Regardless, I'm pretty close to selling it and going back to a 2015 15" MBP. Tired of this ****.
Mine was manufactured in 11/18 Yet I haven't had any keyboard issues (touch wood)
What do you mean with "crisper and more responsive"?

Reactions: sracer

Koh Phi Phi

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2017
75.png

Oh well... so I guess it was not all made up exaggerations at the end of the day...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/18284042/apple-macbook-keyboard-apology-issues-bad-design

Reactions: Never mind

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I have had my 2018 MBA for a few months now which is mainly the wife machine although I just ordered one for myself and I have not had any issues with any keys at all. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I haven't hit them yet, but for right now I have found this machine to be very good so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.