Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
This command will completely delete the modified kernel file. It need a reboot to take the modification in consideration.
This could be a bit risky but I guess OSX automatically restores the default file if no file is found.

Don't be surprised if your Mac restarts several time after first reboot.

I'm interested by the result if that works, could simplify restoration of original file in my app.
Could you tell me if that worked for you ? You can send to me AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext file after you rebooted ?

Thanks

kojot841

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2017
Sure, I will let you know what happened and I will send you the kext file. I will just need to wait for a few days until I change the capacitor but once that's done I will let you know.

Thanks again mate for all your help!

Reactions: julian-poidevin

Reyson

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2017
MBPMid2010_GPUFix is an utility program that allows to fix MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video. The algorithm is based on a solution provided by user fabioroberto on MacRumors forums.

The utility is based on Qt Framework and only available on OSX.

What is this GPU bug ?
MacBook Pro's from Mid-2010 (MacBook6,2) suffers from GPU issues. This is a known problem from Apple. Basically, a kernel panic is triggered randomly while using the computer.

What is the solution ?
A software fix as been found by fabioroberto on this thread.
My software provides an automated way to apply this fix.

Screenshot
OEjuk8Y.jpg

Also, do not hesitate to star my Github if this fix worked for you ! :)

Quick Download

Latest release
Lastest release can be found here

ENJOY !
Thank you so much you saved my MBP 15" late 2009 suffering from the same graphics card related kernel panics... thankssssss

Trungtv

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
Hello. I have this issue AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext not found when update sierra os 10.12.5
on May 30,2017

Pls help me. I running Macbook pro mid 2010

Thank you very much

Log:

| Checking compatibility
MBPModelVersion : MacBookPro6,2 ➔ Compatibility : OK ✓
| Checking SIP Status
SIP Disabled
| Searching for AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext
AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext not found

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
Hello. I have this issue AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext not found when update sierra os 10.12.5
on May 30,2017

Pls help me. I running Macbook pro mid 2010

Thank you very much

Log:

| Checking compatibility
| Checking SIP Status
SIP Disabled
AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext not found
Juste replied to you on GitHub ;)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I tried version 0.50 and this is the message I get on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 15" 6.2 running 10.12.5:

| Checking compatibility

| Checking SIP Status

SIP Disabled

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext found

********** Discarded MBP GPU Fix **********n

I left the program open for a while but nothing seems to be happening.

Any information or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
Hello,

This is very weird. The only way it could have ended this way is that you click on "No" when pop-up "
This will patch the kernel configuration file. Are you sure you want to procede ?"

Are you sure you clicked on "Yes" when this pop-up came out ?

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I ran the program a couple of times and selected "Yes" both times. I was about to edit my post when you replied.

I restored a clean version of Sierra from TimeMachine and it worked!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
Hi,

I ran the program a couple of times and selected "Yes" both times. I was about to edit my post when you replied.

I restored a clean version of Sierra from TimeMachine and it worked!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Oh, ok. I don't know why it failed though. Nice it's working for you !

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It could be that I had tried patching manually and this messed things up.

Is there a good way to test the patch?

Thanks again.

Edit 1: using Google Chrome used to cause a restart after a few minutes of use. I was able to use it for about 20 minutes with no problem, even playing 1080p YouTube videos :)

Edit 2: followed fabioroberto's suggestion of opening terminal and typing: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions. Then reboot, run the cinebench open gl test, and check benchmark scores.

Last edited:

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
so i installed this kext hack, no kernel panics yet even running cinebench, etc..but I am definitely getting some wonky behavior with some of my apps now. going back to gfxCardStatus in integrated only mode for a while to compare. Stuff that was working fine that way has been giving me app hangs over the past day since I tried this. Well, right before that I tried messing with the nvram, so I dunno if that caused something weird. I already reset the nvram, so I would think not, but anyway, stuff like VMWare Fusion in full screen mode hanged and I don't think it was a kernel panic, but the computer was spinning the fans and froze up... other apps have hung and had to force kill them. This has been more than usual in the past 24 hours.

Is there anything else I can try to see if I can make this work better? I might send the MBP for the capacitor swap, but anyway I was hoping I could get by with the kext hack for a while. But so far the results have been worse then just running gfxCardStatus in integrated-only mode.

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
Hi. I don't really know how gfxCardStatus works but I think it shouldn't be used with my software : this may cause conflicts. I would recommend to uninstall gfxCardStatus and apply my patch to see if this works better.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
gfxCardStatus does not make a permanent change to the system, like your software does, it only works when it's actually running. There is nothing to uninstall. It's just an app with runtime control.

Background info:

The operating system is able to switch back and forth from the integrated graphics card to the nvidia discrete graphics card as it feels is necessary. Also applications can make API calls that request this switch for performance reasons. The integrated gpu uses less battery so they try to use that as much as possible and only switch to discrete when they really think they need more gpu power.

The operating system has an API for enforcing some policies that an application can use for this control. The default is dynamic switching mode where it switches as needed to the nvidia. It's also possible to turn off that dynamic flag so that it will stay on integrated or discrete always.

gfxCardSatus is able to use its privilege as a running app to turn off the dynamic switch and force it to use only the integrated graphics as long as no other app has already switched to nvidia use. Once it has enabled the policy, other apps that try to switch will be blocked from doing so until gfxCardStatus quits or changes the policy to dynamic again.

You can run gfxCardStatus completely safely with your kext hack in place. It will put an icon on the menu bar which indicates which gpu is currently active. If you leave gfxCardStatus in dynamic switching mode, then the behavior will be exactly normal, it won't be enforcing anything and it's just a monitor to observe which gpu is active. You will see that most of the time the nvidia is not even being used. Only certain apps do it and certain situations like using an external monitor. OSX seems to need to switch to nvidia briefly when exiting apps too for some reason not sure why. Some apps with heavy graphics switch to nvidia and turn off dynamic switching while they are running.

gfxCardStatus can be placed in integrated-only mode where it will do all it can to keep the machine forced to using the integrated chip and block other apps from switching to nvidia also, but for some reason when exiting apps, OSX still is able to switch briefly to nvidia. Also external monitors won't work in that mode and occasionally an app using certain functions in OpenGL will not work right if it's blocked from switching, but that is rare.

I installed your kext hack which is not a runtime fix its a more permanent solution. I was NOT running gfxCardStatus when I tested it.

Prior to testing your hack I tried that other hack out floating around out there related to the nvram and power management. I am more suspicious that I did something to the nvram that is confusing things.

I reset the nvram but still had this weirdness happening since installing your kext hack. If I turn on gfxCardStatus then your hack is still present but the machine is staying on integrated graphics, things seem more normal. I have reset the nvram again and will try to run for a while without gfxCardStatus again to see what happens.

Last edited:

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
ok here is more info, I think when I reset the nvram, that re-enabled SIP. Not entirely sure whether your hack was even working at all when I tested it.. So now I have reset the nvram AND disabled SIP again to make sure your hack will be functioning. Lets see what happens..

nalgo

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
It is great to have more options now. I was on gfxCardStatus until I recently have had a new capacitor soldered in. See here. This seems to be the only way to restore full functionality. You do not even need advanced soldering skills, and you find a step-by-step guide to take out the logic board at iFixit. I can only recommend this to anyone either unhappy with these software hacks or looking for a clean way to fix this issue.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
I'm going to do that soon as this kernal file hack seems to work MOST of the time, but I get a few wierd bugs with logic Pro and console shows all sorts of GPU messages, so I think this fix is not 100%. But seems best thing to use without capacitor replacement.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to provide an update for my mid-2010 i5 15" MBP.

I had the capacitor replaced with an aluminium capacitor for $76 CAD. Before I left the shop, I ran the cinebench 15 test with a clean installation of 10.12.6 and it finished without any panic.

I'll test it over a few days but I think the MBP will be good for a couple of more years.

I actually bought this i5 MBP for parts but decided to try and make use of it since it did boot and everything worked. I was happy until I discovered the panic issue. I bought it for $65 CAD without a charger and hard drive. Add in the cost of the capacitor replacement and my total cost was only $141 CAD. A bargain in my opinion for a fully functional mid-2010 15".

I want to thank everyone for helping me with this issue.

Last edited:

kangelo114

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2017
san francisco
I am using Sierra 10.12.6.
When I run this patch, it is asking me for a password. I read through most of the threads here and nobody has mentioned anything about a password problem. Thank you in advance!

In any case, this is the msg I get when I run the patch:

I Check compatibility
MBPModelVersion: MacBookPro6,2 ->Compatability: Ok
I Check SIP Status
SIP Disabled
I Searching for AppleGraphicsProwerManagement.kext
AppleGraphcisPowerManagement.kext.found

kojot841

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2017
Hi Julian,

I just wanted to ask you will this application work on High Sierra?

Thanks!

thurston b

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
I installed the patch successfully from v 0.5.0 and after a restart, Cinebench made it all the way through the test. Running El Capitan.

Thanks! I appreciate someone out there making patches for the community. I literally just came back from the apple store, thinking maybe I could try to fix my computer one last time, instead of buying a new one. Thank You!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.