Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITzTravelInTime

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2020
Italia
Just found this thread, does anybody have a server for PPC 1.5.2?

You can play on any server you like that runs on 1.5.2, a more optimised server for powerpc users can have reduced render distance and mobs disabled to help with performance, but that's about it.

About recommending servers there was the action retro minecraft server which was probably the most popular among powerpc users, but it's currently shut down for an indeterminate amount of time, idk about other popular servers, but many members of action retro discord run their own ones.

smeisinger

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2022
I just tried running Minecraft on my Powerbook 12" (1,5Ghz) but the FPS are constantly in the single digits.

Details on the lowest settings of course and "performance mode" enabled (F11). G4fan is set to 50/50/60 so that shouldn't be the problem.

Am I missing something? I was expecting it to run at around 20fps.

The Powerbook runs well otherwise (performance as expected in other games and a score of 860 in Geekbench2).

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
I have a server set up for 1.5.2 at mc.604kph.xyz. I'm not too crazy about the current seed so i may regenerate the world but if other are fine with it i'll keep it as it is. It's pretty regular survival world.

Reactions: peido and z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@r34per That is awesome. I'll drop by with my Quicksilver for a few minutes to say hello.

If it remains online for a prolonged period of time, I'll add it to the first post, as well as the game's page on the Garden.

Just like the good old days ... years ago. :)

Reactions: peido and r34per

peido

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2021
Portugal
I have a server set up for 1.5.2 at mc.604kph.xyz. I'm not too crazy about the current seed so i may regenerate the world but if other are fine with it i'll keep it as it is. It's pretty regular survival world.
Hi.
Went there yesterday and made a few doors for the cave next to spawn. :)
I didn't go far away from spawn, I found nothing special on the current seed near spawn.
If you want to try other seeds I don't mind. If a seed is cool the probability of having more people join the world is bigger.
Let me know what you decide to do.

unilock

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2019
Has anyone tried simply compiling a newer version of Java (likely 8) for the PPC platform, e.g. using MacPorts, to run a newer version of Minecraft? I've been meaning to try it myself, but haven't gotten around to it. Though I have a feeling I'll run into hundreds of build errors.

idk_powerbook_good

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2022
I enjoy playing on it on my PowerBook g4 quite a bit. You are awesome for hosting it :)

ALPHARavenGamer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
Hey there,
I am currently in possesion of an old eMac and have been looking into getting more games on it. I saw someone play minecraft on an emac but I am pretty sure they have a newer version of the system, and I can't seem to get it to work on mine so far.

Some info about my emac's system:
mac os x version 10.3.9,
1.25ghz processor
powerpc g4
512 mb memory

Is it possible to play A version of minecraft on it? Doesn't matter what version as long as it runs and it is actually minecraft. And how would I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
Hi, I love playing Minecraft on my old PPC Mac! But has someone figured out how to login with a premium account?

Also, I’m using the G4 1.2.5 version since runs better on my iMac G4

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
This thread is pretty long so can't read through the whole thing to see if anyone asked it. I tried going full screen in 640x480 and from now on even not in fullscreen every texture in the game is a reddish blue color. Should I just grab a new copy from the Garden?

Also I'm getting a solid 55 fps on my G5 with Quake Pro FOV and Normal render distance.
This just shows how awesome @z970's optimised version is, and how awesome dual G5s with 1.5gb of RAM are :)

Edit: How can I maximise FPS on my MDD? I'm only getting 03 fps right now (1GHz G4, 1mb L3 cache, stock GeForce GPU, 1.5gb RAM (newly installed)

Last edited:

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
Edit: How can I maximise FPS on my MDD? I'm only getting 03 fps right now (1GHz G4, 1mb L3 cache, stock GeForce GPU, 1.5gb RAM (newly installed)
I get similar performances on my iMac G4 (5-8 FPS with 1.25GHz, nVidia GeForce FX 5200, 768Mb, Mac OS X 10.5.8), so maybe it’s supposed to run like this.

For the G5, I can’t really tell (since I don’t have one), maybe the graphics card is to blame.

Btw are you sure the 3d anaglyph is turned off?

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
I get similar performances on my iMac G4 (5-8 FPS with 1.25GHz, nVidia GeForce FX 5200, 768Mb, Mac OS X 10.5.8), so maybe it’s supposed to run like this.

For the G5, I can’t really tell (since I don’t have one), maybe the graphics card is to blame.

Btw are you sure the 3d anaglyph is turned off?
Not sure about the 3d anaglyph. Where do I check that?
I get 35 fps when standing but when I walk it loads a new chunk which brings down the FPS really low. Servers load chunks on the server hardware so maybe I can get good FPS if I join a server.

I can always just play on my G5 which is blazing fast but my G4 is my "gaming mac" so I'd like to play on that too.

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
For 3d anaglyph check in Settings > Video Settings > Other > 3D anaglyph

Yes, you’re right tho. When you connect to a server it’s actually the server doing the hard work for you, I’ve got like 40-50 FPS while playing with a friend.

Paradoxically, with and older version you should get more fps right? Wrong. For some reason I find Minecraft 1.8.9 more fluid and playable than 1.5.2/1.2.5

Reactions: PowerPCFan

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
Also I found the server mc.cosmicmc.net on Google, it supposedly works with 1.5.2 and you can go in Creative mode... Haven't tested it so it might not even work but I just found it and thought it seemed interesting.

useydess

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2023
Camarillo CA
any way to install mods other than optifine onto the powerPC edition? tried to use the forge mod loader for 1.5.2 but my G4's java is too old, wanted to add some mods to make the gameplay a bit more fun

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
any way to install mods other than optifine onto the powerPC edition? tried to use the forge mod loader for 1.5.2 but my G4's java is too old, wanted to add some mods to make the gameplay a bit more fun
Same for me. I did some research (mostly on the forge modloader and on IndustrialCraft), and they are compiled using Java SE 1.6.0_24, or something like that, so even if you can install Java developer preview it’ll be just too old and won’t work (on leopard at least, somebody needs to try on tiger).

useydess

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2023
Camarillo CA
Same for me. I did some research (mostly on the forge modloader and on IndustrialCraft), and they are compiled using Java SE 1.6.0_24, or something like that, so even if you can install Java developer preview it’ll be just too old and won’t work (on leopard at least, somebody needs to try on tiger).
i see, well i guess i could try to install the mods on my current PC and then move it to my powerpc

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
just as a reminder: for installing mods and/or a mod loader you need to extract the mod jar’s contents and put it into the Minecraft.jar mod inside the “bin” folder, then you need to remove the “META-INF” folder inside the same Minecraft.jar

useydess

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2023
Camarillo CA
what extraction method did you use? i tried pacifier for tiger to extract the forge modloader but i keep getting this issue, any idea on how to fix it?

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 61

useydess

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2023
Camarillo CA
so i tried on tiger and 1.6 wouldn't work for the JAR files

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
what extraction method did you use? i tried pacifier for tiger to extract the forge modloader but i keep getting this issue, any idea on how to fix it?
Use the default decompression utility.

Right click on the jar > open with > other… > [hard disk] > System > Library > CoreServices > Utility Compression (or something like this, I have Mac OS X in Italian)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.