Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Thanks terraphantm .

I'll have a look.

I've been at this for about 14 hours straight. Didn't think to look in the 10.13.5 COMBO.

I think we need to have a CONCISE step by step guide.

If I'm successful I'll make one.

MBP114_0183_B00.fd can be found in the 10.13.5 combo update

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Here's the NVMe DXE extracted from that rom if you want. I've successfully used it to get NVMe working properly on my MBP112 (which I realize is a pretty different situation). I was also able to successfully use the DXE from the MBP143 (it's about 5kb larger), but there's no apparent behavior difference.

Attachments

• 51116915_MBP114_0183.ffs.zip
    12 KB · Views: 333

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
terraphantm

Thanks so much !

I'll give it a try later this afternoon and report back.

OFF TOPIC :
( currently installing Mavericks to a 7,1 MacBook I got ( here in Japan, barely used ) for ¥¥9,000 ! It has a new battery and a 256Gb SanDisk SSD ! ).

Here's the NVMe DXE extracted from that rom if you want. I've successfully used it to get NVMe working properly on my MBP112 (which I realize is a pretty different situation). I was also able to successfully use the DXE from the MBP143 (it's about 5kb larger), but there's no apparent behavior difference.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
The cMP logic board has an undocumented 30-pin Molex connector, by the LITTLE FRANK label, that allows a user to plug in an EFI firmware replacement that is active until removed.

An example product is the $90ish Chipmunk Easy Flash, model A4042, that's equipped with a flash ram chip that's easily be flashed with a mac pro efi rom.

A working rom can be flashed to one of these, and plugged into your cMP.
EasyFlash1.jpg

So you flash your experimental bootROM to one of those plugin chips and start experimenting with NVMe and GOP injection. If you succeed you remove the chip and flash it to the onboard bootROM. If you screw up your bootROM on the removable board you remove it and boot again from you onboard, still working, bootROM and reflash the removable one with an ICSP-clip.

But can you recover with one of these from a bad flash of the onboard bootROM? Can you flash the onboard bootROM if you booted from the removable one and, while running, remove it and reflash the onboard bootROM with a backup? The same as with the bios-switch on some AMD GPUs?

Maxpecas

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
France
Hello Guys,

thank you for your genius great job ... i had installed your modified Rom in 5 minutes !

Desable SIP
use Romtool for save my 85Rom

Upload the Gilles modified 87Rom ( #325) using Romtool

It works fine and i can install High Sierra on my Cheap and Fast Samsung 961

The trouble is that i loose my serial number ( No Name : i thought first that Gilles serial number will replace mine but not)

So i know that it run fine and i will build my real own one.

Thank you again Capture d’écran 2018-06-10 à 15.36.38.png Capture d’écran 2018-06-10 à 15.37.07.png Capture d’écran 2018-06-10 à 15.40.57.png Capture d’écran 2018-06-10 à 15.45.23.png

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
So you flash your experimental bootROM to one of those plugin chips and start experimenting with NVMe and GOP injection. If you succeed you remove the chip and flash it to the onboard bootROM. If you screw up your bootROM on the removable board you remove it and boot again from you onboard, still working, bootROM and reflash the removable one with an ICSP-clip.

But can you recover with one of these from a bad flash of the onboard bootROM? Can you flash the onboard bootROM if you booted from the removable one and, while running, remove it and reflash the onboard bootROM with a backup? The same as with the bios-switch on some AMD GPUs?

Interesting idea. I can’t say if the unplug and flash method has been tried. There are also adapters that convert the 30 pin connector to a wire harness for flashing.

While most of the tools are used for efi unlocks, they align to our needs for disaster recovery when a step is missed and something goes wrong.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello Guys,

thank you for your genius great job ... i had installed your modified Rom in 5 minutes !

Desable SIP
use Romtool for save my 85Rom

Upload the Gilles modified 87Rom ( #325) using Romtool

It works fine and i can install High Sierra on my Cheap and Fast Samsung 961

The trouble is that i loose my serial number ( No Name : i thought first that Gilles serial number will replace mine but not)

So i know that it run fine and i will build my real own one.

Thank you again View attachment 765670 View attachment 765671 View attachment 765672 View attachment 765673

You better flash your original ROM back in. Check if the serial number recovered. Then upgrade the firmware to the normal 0087.B00, dump it out, and mod it by yourself.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Pandanl

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Awesome guys, currently have 84 and will try this to get my 960 evo working.

One question, does any m.2 pcie card work or are there a few that are recommended.

And will a pci card with 2 x m.2 slots work in a raid 0 setup?

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Awesome guys, currently have 84 and will try this to get my 960 evo working.

One question, does any m.2 pcie card work or are there a few that are recommended.

And will a pci card with 2 x m.2 slots work in a raid 0 setup?

m.2 cards with a integrated heat-sink is preferred.

PCIe adapters with 2 or 4 m.2 slots supporting a non-bootable software raid 0 are available from Amfeltec.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
m.2 cards with a integrated heat-sink is preferred.

PCIe adapters with 2 or 4 m.2 slots supporting a non-bootable software raid 0 are available from Amfeltec.
Now that we have booting, could I boot an AppleRAID array made of multiple NVMe drives?

ezylstra

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2017
Last edited:

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
That isn't an NVMe issue, but a RAID issue. Can be done: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/raid-0-boot-support-in-high-sierra.2103521/
[doublepost=1528682190][/doublepost]

In addition to the Amfeltec 4xM.2 PCIe card, there is the 4xM.2 Highpoint 7101a.
Hmm. Reading over that thread, it looks like it’s an APFS issue. Would it work installing the OS to an HFS formatted raid? I suppose it might, but I don’t know if anyone has a need for those kind of speeds as a boot drive!

ezylstra

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2017
Hmm. Reading over that thread, it looks like it’s an APFS issue. Would it work installing the OS to an HFS formatted raid? I suppose it might, but I don’t know if anyone has a need for those kind of speeds as a boot drive!

No. This is an old issue. You should read up on it. A simple web search will serve you well. You might start reading this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykarcz/2017/09/28/how-to-upgrade-a-raid-system-to-macos-high-sierra-youre-not-going-to-like-it/amp/

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
So... got my SPI programmer doing its thing right now, only thing that's got me worried is when I select detect it only detects Manufacture ID=$BF, Memory Type=$25, Memory Capacity$4A, and Device ID=$4A and reads the chip. I hope there isn't anything wrong with the chip itself. Anyone know how to actually test to see if a chip is bad or not or have a better program to use with a CH314A SPI programmer other than CH314A Programmer v1.18?

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Has anyone tested or succeeded in applying the nvme firmware patch on the macpro 3,1? If so, what were the results?

I have been looking at the 970 Samsung Pro 512GB and 1TB drives the last couple of days wondering whether I should pull the trigger and buy either of them to test. What's the best M.2 pcie nvme adapter to get that would successfully negotiate a PCIe 2 x4 or x8 link (which I think is equivalent to a PCIe 3 x4 link in terms of bandwidth) in slot 2. Also, can a PCIe 3 x4/x8/x16 M.2 NVMe adapter negotiate a PCIe 2 x16 link on the 3,1?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
EDIT 01
I may have made a Terminal command error in making the 10.13.5 USB installer.
I'll go through everything again & report back.

===================================================

expede who is booting 10.13.5 from a Samsung 960 EVO ( I have one too )and others here has been kindly assisting me in getting my 960 EVO to boot NVMe 10.13.5.

Using his flashed bootROM .. using a USB 3.0 stick with the FULL 10.13.5 ( contents of "Firmware folder" removed ) ..
the installer starts and states tha tteh install will take about " 8 minutes " .. . that has to be wrong.

Any suggestions ? ( I'm using a new Toshiba 16GB USB STICK. )

Is the empty "Firmware" folder in the installer causing the problem ?

I don't want to do the 10.13.5 bootROM "'87 " firmware upgrade.

None of my "Full installation attempts have been successful. They all end with only this showing in the 960 EVO.
I have a feeling that I made a mistake when I made the High Sierra 10.13.5 full installer USB stick
Failed High Sierra 10.13.5  NVMe install.jpg

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
So... got my SPI programmer doing its thing right now, only thing that's got me worried is when I select detect it only detects Manufacture ID=$BF, Memory Type=$25, Memory Capacity$4A, and Device ID=$4A and reads the chip. I hope there isn't anything wrong with the chip itself. Anyone know how to actually test to see if a chip is bad or not or have a better program to use with a CH314A SPI programmer other than CH314A Programmer v1.18?

I compiled this project for using this thing on Mac OS:

https://github.com/setarcos/ch341prog

last time I progged a gpu rom I needed to erase the rom first - and after each step the usb programmer needed a re-connect by pull the thing out of the USB port - otherwise it hang or wrote crappy.

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
Maybe different subject, but I have a FL1100 usb 3.0 PCIE card installed on my mac, I think it is not bootable in mac pro. But what about NMp it has the same USB controller, so if it is bootable on new mac pro can we add DXE from mac pro 6,1 bootrom to Mac pro 5.1 boot rom ?

Is it almost same procedure ? Did someone try it before ?

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
EDIT 01
I may have made a Terminal command error in making the 10.13.5 USB installer.
I'll go through everything again & report back.

===================================================

expede who is booting 10.13.5 from a Samsung 960 EVO ( I have one too )and others here has been kindly assisting me in getting my 960 EVO to boot NVMe 10.13.5.

Using his flashed bootROM .. using a USB 3.0 stick with the FULL 10.13.5 ( contents of "Firmware folder" removed ) ..
the installer starts and states tha tteh install will take about " 8 minutes " .. . that has to be wrong.

Any suggestions ? ( I'm using a new Toshiba 16GB USB STICK. )

Is the empty "Firmware" folder in the installer causing the problem ?

I don't want to do the 10.13.5 bootROM "'87 " firmware upgrade.

None of my "Full installation attempts have been successful. They all end with only this showing in the 960 EVO.
I have a feeling that I made a mistake when I made the High Sierra 10.13.5 full installer USB stick
View attachment 765849
That's a partial (or staged) install. If you then boot to that drive, it will complete. It should show up in the boot manager as "EFI boot" or "OS X Base System" or something. If it doesn't, it sounds like the firmware flashing process isn't recognised and your 960 isn't bootable.

You can test your USB installer by trying to install to something else. Another USB will do!

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Maybe different subject, but I have a FL1100 usb 3.0 PCIE card installed on my mac, I think it is not bootable in mac pro. But what about NMp it has the same USB controller, so if it is bootable on new mac pro can we add DXE from mac pro 6,1 bootrom to Mac pro 5.1 boot rom ?

Is it almost same procedure ? Did someone try it before ?

AFAIR handheldgames tried it and it didn't work. I think he injected the FL1100 and XHCI DXEs. maybe more DXEs are needed..? unfortunately I don't own a classic Mac Pro anymore.

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
I compiled this project for using this thing on Mac OS:

https://github.com/setarcos/ch341prog

last time I progged a gpu rom I needed to erase the rom first - and after each step the usb programmer needed a re-connect by pull the thing out of the USB port - otherwise it hang or wrote crappy.
Yeah I was looking into that, then found flashrom and it worked beautifully, now the only issue I have is making sure I have it soldered on correctly, tried only using heat gun method with flux and having major power issues, guess normal soldering it is.

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
AFAIR handheldgames tried it and it didn't work. I think he injected the FL1100 and XHCI DXEs. maybe more DXEs are needed..? unfortunately I don't own a classic Mac Pro anymore.
I checked mac pro 6,1 ROM with UEFI Tool and search FL100 and XHCI result is 3 different DXE driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.