Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
I completed the NVMe firmware mod guide from the Google doc on page 14 with success. I was able to boot my Samsung PM961 SSD from my Dell XPS with High Sierra installed on it. I'm using firmware MP51.0087.B00 which has the 0 microcode issue on it.
Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.41.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 10.50.10 AM.png

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Pavo

I think that the MBP114_0177_B00.ffs I extracted was the wrong one though Gilles PM'd me that it was OK.

The problem is that I cannot find the "MBP114_0182_B00" that Gilles quotes in his guide in the full installerbut he PM'd me that
the one I found was 'probably' OK.

I disabled SIP - flashed my 4,1 '85 bootROM - installed High Sierra 10.13.5 with the " Firmware folder" removed.

No good - 4 or five times.

I think I need the " MBP114_0182_B00.ffs " that Gilles guide says works OK.

Any help very much appreciated.

Would you mind sharing what problems?

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
Pavo

I think that the MBP114_0177_B00.ffs I extracted was the wrong one though Gilles PM'd me that it was OK.

The problem is that I cannot find the "MBP114_0182_B00" that Gilles quotes in his guide in the full installerbut he PM'd me that
the one I found was 'probably' OK.

I disabled SIP - flashed my 4,1 '85 bootROM - installed High Sierra 10.13.5 with the " Firmware folder" removed.

No good - 4 or five times.

I think I need the " MBP114_0182_B00.ffs " that Gilles guide says works OK.

Any help very much appreciated.
Wait are you trying this on a MacBookPro?

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France
Maybe there is a dependency that is missing, I will look through the iMac Pro firmware I extracted it from and see what I can find. Maybe its this UsbMassStorage module that is needed.
rDwdS9I.png

Has anyone with a way to recover their mac pro, tried to flash a gop driver to the firmware ?

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
The nvme driver is being extracted from the mbp114 firmware
Ah ok now I understand what he was saying, thanks for clarifying that. Here is the nvme dxe module extracted from iMac Pro

Attachments

• nvme.ffs.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 330

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Hmm, wonder why my NVMe blade runs very smooth on the DXE drive from MBP114_0183_B00.ffs AND I´m on a cMP 5.1 injected and flashed with RomTool from this thread???
More reading at post #13, 325

/Per

I'm pretty sure MBP114_0177_B00 is MacBookPro firmware and not cMP4,1 firmware. cMP firmware would be named MPxxx

Last edited:

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
So.... followed the guide that is posted and after flashing the modded rom rebooted and mac doesn't boot up at all. Anyone know how to recover? Holding down the power button to start the firmware flash mode doesn't even work.

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Has anyone with a way to recover their mac pro, tried to flash a gop driver to the firmware ?

out of curiosity how did you get UEFITool to display the Names of the DXE modules like that? iv just resorted to running the command: drivers in an EFI shell and cross referencing the UUIDs to figure out what each DXE is LOL

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
out of curiosity how did you get UEFITool to display the Names of the DXE modules like that? iv just resorted to running the command: drivers in an EFI shell and cross referencing the UUIDs to figure out what each DXE is LOL
I have only seen them show up when its a Intel UEFI firmware, which is what the iMac Pro firmware is. Rest of Apple Firmware from what I can tell is custom made.
[doublepost=1528576486][/doublepost]Anyone know where to hookup the SPI programmer on the cMP 5,1?

Reactions: LightBulbFun

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
I completed the NVMe firmware mod guide from the Google doc on page 14 with success. I was able to boot my Samsung PM961 SSD from my Dell XPS with High Sierra installed on it. I'm using firmware MP51.0087.B00 which has the 0 microcode issue on it.
View attachment 765524 View attachment 765525
So.... followed the guide that is posted and after flashing the modded rom rebooted and mac doesn't boot up at all. Anyone know how to recover? Holding down the power button to start the firmware flash mode doesn't even work.

Try to reset your PRAM
(from google search):
  1. Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
  2. Press the power button and then press and hold command-option-p-r. ...
  3. Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
  4. Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
Try to reset your NVRAM.
How can I reset NVRAM if the system will not even boot, no chime, just power comes on and nothing
[doublepost=1528577998][/doublepost]
Try to reset your PRAM
(from google search):
  1. Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
  2. Press the power button and then press and hold command-option-p-r. ...
  3. Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
  4. Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.
Yeap tried this and help down those buttons for over 5 minutes and it doesn't reboot.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
How can I reset NVRAM if the system will not even boot, no chime, just power comes on and nothing
[doublepost=1528577998][/doublepost]
Yeap tried this and help down those buttons for over 5 minutes and it doesn't reboot.

The last option I can think of is resetting your SMC.

How to reset the Mac Pro SMC
  1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Unplug your mac from the wall

3. Wait at least 15 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back in.

5. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
The last option I can think of is resetting your SMC.

How to reset the Mac Pro SMC
  1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Unplug your mac from the wall

3. Wait at least 15 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back in.

5. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
Yeap already done that also, didn't work. Looks I found the EEPROM to flash, now trying to find a guide on how to take the CPU tray housing out to get my SPI programmer connected to it.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Yeap already done that also, didn't work. Looks I found the EEPROM to flash, now trying to find a guide on how to take the CPU tray housing out to get my SPI programmer connected to it.

1. remove the cpu tray
  2. fully loosen the screws visible on the bottom the CPU shroud.
  3. Unscrew / remove the guides used to align and hold the CPU tray. I used a pliers to initially loosen these.
  4. Unplug the 2 fans and speaker connectors from the motherboard. They are visible, looking through the holes exposing the motherboard.
  5. With a flat head screwdriver pop the fan clip out of the shroud, allowing you to pushing the fans towards the center of the case by 1' or so, Allowing enough clearance for the CPU shroud to be removed.
  6. Pull the CPU shroud out of the case.
  7. The chip is exposed. Pin 1 is marked with a circle on the top of the chip.

Reactions: Macschrauber

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
Well looks like I have to wait and buy some soldering stuff, CH341A with clip doesn't work, software doesn't detect that its a SST25VF032B chip and will not flash.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Well looks like I have to wait and buy some soldering stuff, CH341A with clip doesn't work, software doesn't detect that its a SST25VF032B chip and will not flash.

yeah in my experiences those clips are an utter POS sadly... (but it is worth mentioning that sometimes you need supply external Power when flashing a ROM chip thats still soldered to a logic-board)

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The cMP logic board has an undocumented 30-pin Molex connector, by the LITTLE FRANK label, that allows a user to plug in an EFI firmware replacement that is active until removed.

An example product is the $90ish Chipmunk Easy Flash, model A4042, that's equipped with a flash ram chip that's easily be flashed with a mac pro efi rom.

A working rom can be flashed to one of these, and plugged into your cMP.
EasyFlash1.jpg

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Can some kind soul PM me a working "NVMe_DXE_apple.ffs" ?

I have a Samsung 960 EVO 256Gb

My current booROM version is " MP51.0085.B00" in my 4,1>5,1

I PM'd Gilles to say that the only one I could extract from the Hi Sierra full installer .. he said "probably OK" .. . but it wasn't. I tried the flash 4 times with SIP disabled - nothing.

After the first flash I created a USB ( full ) install stick with the "Firmware" folder deleted. The install failed each time.

I have reflashed back to my original MP51.0085.B00 bootROM.

EDIT : I noticed that someone had success getting NVMe to boot with the MP51.0087.B00 bootROM.

Thanks in advance

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Have you tried using @gilles_polysoft guide? manually inserting the NVMe driver into the Mac Pros BootROM using UEFI tool?

otherwise I could try and patch your BootROM for you if you PM it to me, however im quite nervous doing this, I dont own any NVMe drives for me to test it myself with my own machine and I really dont want to brick someone else's Machine...

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
LightBulbFun

yes, I followed the guide religiously using the (full) Install macOS High Sierra.app installer to hunt for the " MBP114_0182_B00.fd and then from that to use UEFITool to find the NVMe DXE driver .. but ! I could not find THAT MBP114_0182_B00.fd !
I found one that was similar and then PM'd Gilles re: whether the one I found would work - he replied that it would probably be OK .. but . . it wasn't.

What I need is an NVMe DXE driver that is ACTUALLY WORKING with my current " MP51.0085.B00" bootROM.

If you have extracted the NVMe DXE driver from " MBP114_0182_B00.fd" ONLY. I feel sure that THAT would work

Attachments

• MIKX unmodified 4,1 to 5,1.bin.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.