Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Yeah I was looking into that, then found flashrom and it worked beautifully, now the only issue I have is making sure I have it soldered on correctly, tried only using heat gun method with flux and having major power issues, guess normal soldering it is.

Considering the accuracy required to re-solder the ST flash ram onto the logic board, you may want to consider using solder wick to clean up the install.

AFAIR handheldgames tried it and it didn't work. I think he injected the FL1100 and XHCI DXEs. maybe more DXEs are needed..? unfortunately I don't own a classic Mac Pro anymore.

I haven't tried adding USB3.x boot support. I've only added NVMe.ffs from a MacPro 6,1. :) IMO... USB overhead + a lack of trim makes the interface a less than stellar for a bootable upgrade.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I checked mac pro 6,1 ROM with UEFI Tool and search FL100 and XHCI result is 3 different DXE driver.

hm... the 2nd occurrence of "xhci" is not a DXE. it's labeled as being subtype "Freeform". but nonetheless, it's absolutely possible that this needs to be injected, too.

Mikis

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
I would absolutely love to hack my EFI but it seems so scary....
I really don't want a £2000 brick.
My EFI version is MP51.007F.B03 and even after reading through this entire thread, I've not seen enough info on what to do if you don't have the MP51.0085.B00 version.

It would be great if the Google document was updated for different scenarios.

I do have 3 of these macs though! Would be great to have NVME as a boot option!

I have an Apple SSUBX 500gb in one and it cost me £600 some time ago.

I might sit this one out for a bit until a few more success stories are posted.... but apple, we will have our cake and eat it!!

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
tor.

Thanks for your reply.

My 4,1>5,1 has the DXE injected bootROM

Yes sometimes it shows up as "EFI" in boot manager.

Lat night I created a ne 10,13,5 USB stick installer on another (new) 8gb usb 3 stick.

I got the same results.

Then out of curiosity, I did a Time Machine restore of a working 19.13.5 backup.
It almost worked . . but the 960 EVO was formatted to APFS.

I'm going to re-format the 960 back to HFS+ and try the Time Machine restore again.

Maybe that will work,

That's a partial (or staged) install. If you then boot to that drive, it will complete. It should show up in the boot manager as "EFI boot" or "OS X Base System" or something. If it doesn't, it sounds like the firmware flashing process isn't recognised and your 960 isn't bootable.

You can test your USB installer by trying to install to something else. Another USB will do!

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
So.... I think I might have burned up my board using the heat gun method of removing the chip or putting it back on, because now when I plug power to the machine, after putting everything back together of course. as soon as I plug the power cable in, the power light stays on instantly and no power to the rest of the system. I was thinking it might have been the chip itself that might have gotten burned up but tested it by verifying it with the saved rom and it is verified from the CH341A SPI programmer. Guess I will try 1 last time with just a soldering gun and then on the hunt for a new logic board. :(

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
What, if anything, needs to be corrected in the step-by-step guide for version 0087 of the MacPro EFI ROM?

According to @gilles_polysoft in post #325 the process for patching the 5,1 0087 rom, is the same process as patching the 5,1 0085 rom, or a 3,1 rom of any version, etc. This was initially documented in post #13. The process was also re-documented countless times with within the thread by other members.

When it comes to modifying an EFI rom, I'm not a big fan of copy/paste, it is error prone, especially using unfamiliar tools and processes. Back in Post #52, @dosdude1 jumped on the scene with a new set of tools that I documented as they took shape.

Is there anyone who ran into issues using the the Google Doc Step-by-step guide? The only feedback I've received to date has been to improve page layout and confirmation that it worked.

I plan on skipping firmware 0087, it sounds like that release is half-baked.
[doublepost=1528851916][/doublepost]
So.... I think I might have burned up my board using the heat gun method of removing the chip or putting it back on, because now when I plug power to the machine, after putting everything back together of course. as soon as I plug the power cable in, the power light stays on instantly and no power to the rest of the system. I was thinking it might have been the chip itself that might have gotten burned up but tested it by verifying it with the saved rom and it is verified from the CH341A SPI programmer. Guess I will try 1 last time with just a soldering gun and then on the hunt for a new logic board. :(

Yikes..

Did you use Aluminum foil to protect the surrounding components on the Logic Board? Kind of an important step when using a heat gun.

AND Have you brought out a magnifying glass to verify your soldering?

Last edited:

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
Yikes..

Did you use Aluminum foil to protect the surrounding components on the Logic Board? Kind of an important step when using a heat gun.

AND Have you brought out a magnifying glass to verify your soldering?
Well didn't know about the Aluminum foil part, all the videos I watch on youtube never did that. Oh well lesson learned, think I am just gonna buy another logic board and use this one to play around with and horn my skills, once I fell confront able enough again I might try the NVMe firmware mod, because I followed the google guide exactly and this is the result of that. But no worries, cMP 4,1 logic boards on eBay are pretty cheap.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I would love the process to become somewhat automated. If the RomTool were packaged with the needed drivers, it seems it could be modified to do the firmware dump to a static location, make the copy, inject the driver (with some user selections if needed), initiate the flash process upon reboot.

Since the drivers are Apple owned, and can’t be distributed, it (the tool) could require that you download the full installer of your OS version & place it in the RomTool working directory where it would locate and extract the needed files for the injection.

It could verify sip being disabled, and give a popup instruction on how to disable & proceed.

I’m guesing (I don’t code) a script could handle most, if not all of this, and a simple GUI frontend to help in the few areas where user input would be required, could be crafted.

This would fix the problem of most user errors, make it easy to update if Apple overwrites your Firmware, and probably save some of us inept users (speaking about myself, don’t get offended) from bricking their cMP.

I may be way out in left field, but if I knew how to make this happen, that’s how I would proceed.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I thnk the only time EULAs get broken with BootROM hacking is if people start sharing BootROM images around, but on the other hand Apple literally give those out as downloads on their website

soooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if you want to stay 100% clean just dont share your BootROM around (I dont recommend you share your BootROM anyway since each BootROM is personalised to that machines logic-board and cross flashing can lead to no end of issues)

I dont think Apple can bust you for fiddling with your Own personal BootROM. its like Jailbreaking in some senses (ie your probably going to be voiding your warranty but I dont think any cMP has any left at this point)

Reactions: crjackson2134

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
actually i had a quick look they actually do say in the EULA that you cant do anything with the machines BootROM. not even back it up...

thats pretty mean... also wouldn't a Firmware update (even an apple one) count as modifying the BootROM code? (or pretty much everyone on this forum who has flashed 4,1s to 5,1s and 1,1s to 2,1s...)

I wonder how this would hold up in court, but I doubt apple is going to come bust ass over some people modifying their own personal machines, im pretty sure the Apple Dev Betas tell you that your not even allowed to talk about them and yet we have an entire Mojave sub forum on MR...

I dont think any personal Hackintoshers have been busted for hackintoshing and thats a massive violation of the EULA LOL

ugh... im not a lawyer LOL

edit: TL;DR: Yes doing ANYTHING with the BootROM technically violates the OS X EULA but I would not worry about it...

upload_2018-6-13_4-42-41.png

Reactions: MisterAndrew

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Interesting that they only allow you to make 1 backup. Experts have always suggested you have more than 1 backup of your data.

the biggest lie on the internet:

"Yes I have read the terms and conditions" :D
[doublepost=1528861979][/doublepost]
Yes, but the consumer has rights not mentioned in the EULA. It’s a matter of legal opinion. The Man isn’t coming for you or me as an owner who modify their own property. I can put all kinds of unenforceable stipulations into to a document, and there not binding due to other laws which give you specific rights to your property.

im not worried about anyone coming to get me, trust me I may or may not have violated MANY a EULA in my time :D

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Legal Schmeagle.

Flashing a 4.1 to be a 5,1 is illegal folks.
Adding missing microcode will give ya hard time. Adding NVMe support? I’m sure it’s 5 years to life. No parole.

RUN FOR THE HILLS. The Apple Legal team is after your 401k.

Calling for lawyers. REALLY?? Bahahaha

No train wreck here. Just walk and wave.

Last edited:

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Wait, somebody read a EULA?

I one day want to be the test case to see if a EULA is legally binding.

By reading this post you agree that darthnvader is the greatest hacker of all time, and that you will always refer to him as "Your Darthness".

Any use, misuse, or abuse of the term Darthnvader is punishable by force strangulation.

Reactions: handheldgames
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.