Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoscc

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
Rio de janeiro - Brazil
Jump to the other thread, MP5,1: New BootROM 138.0.0.0.0 on Mojave DP7/PB6, we are doing the improvements there. Did you updated to 138.0.0.0.0? It's a mid-2012? If not, I have new tricks.

I will jump to the other Thread now ... I will read everything to try to understanding what I need to do to have the HighPoint SSD7101A-1 controller working in the maximum speed. Thanks for your help ... Abraços

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I will jump to the other Thread now ... I will read everything to try to understanding what I need to do to have the HighPoint SSD7101A-1 controller working in the maximum speed. Thanks for your help ... Abraços
Get the gist of the new firmware, but do not upgrade the firmware yet - dump your current one first.

BelgianBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2018
Belgium
Guys I have a subject related problem: as I have mutiple startup discs, can I safely install High Sierra on one disc, wich performs a hardware update also, and still use my primary startup disc wich runs only Sierra?
I considered doing this to check out compatibility of my software. (CS6 creative suite mainly, Font Explorer etc.)

If they work I might try to upgrade system BEFORE I try to go for upgrading the bootrom.

I run on cMP 5.1 with 3 different boot discs: one PCI SSD 1TB (OWC) and an 1TB ATA_SSD with the Sierra I want to test out HS on. Third bootdisc is a clone of the primary, wich has also a Time Machine BU on an external TM.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Guys I have a subject related problem: as I have mutiple startup discs, can I safely install High Sierra on one disc, wich performs a hardware update also, and still use my primary startup disc wich runs only Sierra?
I considered doing this to check out compatibility of my software. (CS6 creative suite mainly, Font Explorer etc.)

If they work I might try to upgrade system BEFORE I try to go for upgrading the bootrom.

I run on cMP 5.1 with 3 different boot discs: one PCI SSD 1TB (OWC) and an 1TB ATA_SSD with the Sierra I want to test out HS on. Third bootdisc is a clone of the primary, wich has also a Time Machine BU on an external TM.
Yes, you can install 10.13.6 on a empty disk, do the firmware update then go back to your Sierra disk, no problem.

BelgianBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2018
Belgium
Upgrade failed. Starts up but hangs at the end. Tried safe mode etc. Will probably be better doing a clean install, then migrate apps I want to test.

LPHM2018

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I tried flashing my system to make it boot my NVMe drive and now when I try to turn on the system I get a blank screen.
I downloaded Apples Firmware Restore 1.9 as my system is a 2010 MacPro 5,1 (Though the logic board says 09)

I inserted the CD and press and held down the power button. The lights blink rapidly, but never blinks slowly or does anything.

I also tried CMD+CTRL+P+R

Extra drives are disconnected (including NVMe)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello Everyone,
I tried flashing my system to make it boot my NVMe drive and now when I try to turn on the system I get a blank screen.
I downloaded Apples Firmware Restore 1.9 as my system is a 2010 MacPro 5,1 (Though the logic board says 09)

I inserted the CD and press and held down the power button. The lights blink rapidly, but never blinks slowly or does anything.

Any thoughts?

I have attached the firmware that broke my system.
What NVMe EFI module you used? What you did?

If you used one of the incompatible EFI modules, you will have to de-solder the SPI-flash memory, reprogram in a programmer, then resolder.

LPHM2018

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
I'm really not sure,
I used the rom dumping tool.
Downloaded a nvme.fss that someone posted on here from the iMac Pro firmware. (I'll have to look for who posted it again as it was bookmarked on the computer that wont turn on.)
used DXEInject to add it to my rom
Then reflashed it.

If I have to reprogram, do you know where I can find a how to?

Sucks, just bought this system yesterday.

Thanks!

Would getting this and soldering it on work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-EFI-F...732751?hash=item5d65ac0c8f:g:6-MAAOSw7GRZFVw1

What NVMe EFI module you used? What you did?

If you used one of the incompatible EFI modules, you will have to de-solder the SPI-flash memory, reprogram in a programmer, then resolder.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm really not sure,
Downloaded a nvme.fss that someone posted on here from the iMac Pro firmware. (I'll have to look for who posted it again as it was bookmarked on the computer that wont turn on.)
Then reflashed it.

Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-EFI-F...732751?hash=item5d65ac0c8f:g:6-MAAOSw7GRZFVw1
Sorry this happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm really not sure,
Then reflashed it.

Thanks!

iMac Pro NVMe EFI module is totally and completely incompatible with MP5,1 Xeon. You have to use MM6,1 one.

Don't buy this SPI-flash scam. Buy a ch341a programmer and a SOIC-8 clip or a ZIP adapter.

To know what to do start here: #928. I did two logic boards in the last week, documented one.

Reactions: crjackson2134

LPHM2018

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
I just want to confirm, this is the chip I need to reprogram?

Thanks for you help!

Attachments

• IMG_0032.PNG
    IMG_0032.PNG
    839.1 KB · Views: 187

LPHM2018

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Read this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-mojave-dp7-pb6.2132317/page-34#post-26416123
[doublepost=1536947286][/doublepost]
Buy the ch341a plus a SOIC8 clip or a ZIF socket. Desolder the SPI flash.

Send me a PM with a picture of your ESN label (grey/white one in the backside of the case) and I’ll reconstruct your BootROM.

Thank you!

I order these two things
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015W4PKR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1EU9LG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are you talking about this label?

Thank you again!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

You are buying the same ch341a model and the same clip I bought. I have a real Pomona clip from Digikey, but this Chinese one will do nicely to reprogram your BootROM.

Yes to the label.

Remove your BootROM and the ESN label from the thread, PM me both the image with all the numbers and your original dump.

You don't want clones of your new Mac on the internet :p

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello Everyone,

Any thoughts?

I have attached the firmware that broke my system.

Do you know if your cMP still with 4,1 firmware or 5,1 firmware?

If it is still a 4,1. That 5,1 firmware restoration CD won't work.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do you know if your cMP still with 4,1 firmware or 5,1 firmware?

If it is still a 4,1. That 5,1 firmware restoration CD won't work.
The problem is the iMac Pro NVMe EFI module. @LPHM2018 inserted a module that use invalid instructions to the Nehalem/Westmere processors.

It's exactly what I did last week and the 5,1 Firmware Restoration CD will not work.

LPHM2018

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
You are buying the same ch341a model and the same clip I bought. I have a real Pomona clip from Digikey, but this Chinese one will do nicely to reprogram your BootROM.

Yes to the label.

Remove your BootROM and the ESN label from the thread, PM me both the image with all the numbers and your original dump.

You don't want clones of your new Mac on the internet :p

Message Sent!

Could I just use the test clip and clip it on the chip? or would it be better/safer to unsolder it first?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
OMG! You didn’t read the warning and flashed the file posted by @LightBulbFun?

You have bricked your Mac. Really need to remove that file. I think you are 5th victim.

You shouldn’t flash your Mac if you don’t have knowledge or guidance. Sorry this happened.

I posted the iMac18,3 NVMe driver and the MBP11,4 NVMe driver

I never posted the iMacPro1,1 NVMe driver so this one aint even remotely on me

also I did amend the post that the iMac18,3 warning that it will brick a Mac Pro

(and just for reference the MBP11,4 driver works fine AFAIK or at least wont brick a machine)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I posted the iMac18,3 NVMe driver and the MBP11,4 NVMe driver

I never posted the iMacPro1,1 NVMe driver so this one aint even remotely on me

also I did amend the post that the iMac18,3 warning that it will brick a Mac Pro

(and just for reference the MBP11,4 driver works fine AFAIK or at least wont brick a machine)

My apologies, I thought he grabbed the one with the warning, and didn’t heed. I’ll fix my post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.