Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LPHM2018

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
I'll be honest, this is the file I used.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp51-0084-b00-rom-dump-request.2119496/page-16#post-26139167

I should of read all the post before doing anything, could of saved myself all this headache.

Thanks to @tsialex, I'm not having to search for a replacement logic board for a computer I just bought yesterday.

Long story short, I actually had tried flashing using the MacBookPro NVMe driver that is at the start of this thread, however I guess because I had installed High Sierra and when installing it, it forced me to update the firmware. I never was able to get it to boot without using the USB method.

Good news is, I'm learning how to flash a rom chip. Which I always wanted to learn. Just wish it wasn't my new main system. lol

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: handheldgames

BelgianBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2018
Belgium
Dang, tried to re-install HS on my SSD (a partition of the drive). Now it is not accessible anymore by disc utility to erase and refirmat anymore. File format unrecognised. AFPS probably. How do I resolve this? Still running Sierra as main bootup.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Dang, tried to re-install HS on my SSD (a partition of the drive). Now it is not accessible anymore by disc utility to erase and refirmat anymore. File format unrecognised. AFPS probably. How do I resolve this? Still running Sierra as main bootup.
If you don’t need any data on the SSD, just do:

Code:
diskutil list

Learn what is the disk number your SDD uses than just replace the XX on the command below

Code:
sudo gpt destroy diskXX

You will loose any data on the disk.

pinotschio

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
Thank you for the quick reply. I already followed the steps and successfully booted nvme. My Preview app is crashing while editing my screenshots I'm attaching here (while cutting screeny-->beachball-->then crash)...My results seem normal compared to the bugs in preview. That's why I'm asking. Hope they will improve some performance. I have the ssd in the 3 port.
Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-15 um 21.13.39.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for the quick reply. I already followed the steps and successfully booted nvme. My Preview app is crashing while editing my screenshots I'm attaching here (while cutting screeny-->beachball-->then crash)...My results seem normal compared to the bugs in preview. That's why I'm asking. Hope they will improve some performance. I have the ssd in the 3 port. View attachment 782115
  1. What's your BootROM?
  2. What's your NVMe SSD drive and adaptor?
  3. Do you have TRIM enabled?
  4. What's your Mac Pro model, it's dual/single, what's the Xeon?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
What do you mean with XG5? What about the issues with preview? May it be bootrom related?
Toshiba XG3 (or OCZ RD400) - I corrected that.

You are getting the expected throughput for your SSD, it's a 2015/16 one. You can get better read speeds with a HighPoint SSD7701a card.

I don't think BootROM corruption can cause Preview problems, test with a clean install before thinking about firmware.

pinotschio

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
I have no idea which version, but there are no Web Drivers needed. The SSD performs better under mojave also booted that clean install. Thank you.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
You are using Nvidia Webdrivers? Nvidia GTX 780 B version can't use the Apple native drivers, only the A version. The A version is a tweaked GTX 680.

Remember Apple updated the NVIDIA Drivers in Sierra to the 355 branch which brought full support for every GK10x/GK11x/GK20x card

so since 10.12 no Kepler card needs web drivers to function

BelgianBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2018
Belgium
If you don’t need any data on the SSD, just do:

Code:
diskutil list

Learn what is the disk number your SDD uses than just replace the XX on the command below

Code:
sudo gpt destroy diskXX

You will loose any data on the disk.

Thks, did that & clean install of HS.
What a horrible upgrade, tried to install my Nord VPN: nothing but ****. Constant popups with "password" to fill in without knowing wich app it was... dissapointing. I will stay in Sierra. Apple has reached MS levels of frustration for me.
Previous updates all went ok, not anymore.

TheUmbrellaCorp

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
Anyone know how to make the NVMe show up as a internal drive? Or at least make it so the NVMe drive doesn't show on the Desktop without removing the USB drives?

Also, I had to install MacOS onto a Sata drive and clone over. When trying to install directly to the NVMe it said something about not having firmware. Anyone else having the message?
thx

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
A little off topic : Keeping an M.2 SSD cool

I have been running High Sierra 10.13.6 since it went GM booting from an M.2 Samsung 960 EVO.
I have tried several M.2 adaptors but settled on an Ainex model - without heatsinks.

Since then I have removed all 3.5" SATA II drives from the cMP's internal case - removed my DVD drive and the assembly and now have two SanDisk SSDs happily installed there.

the resutl seemsto be an overall increase in cooling throughput but not satisfied as I have a Sapphire Dual-X 7970 + the M.2 adapter + an Inatek Inateck KTU3FR-4P1 4 port all installed in PCIe slots

I had some spare copper heat sinks lying around so I cleaned them up and put three of them on the Samsung M.2 960 EVO 250 GB.

I placed an " ambient temperature sensor " right on to of one of the M.2 adaptor's copper heatsinks.

After three hours of solid operation the ambient temp. shows as a steady 32°C ( 89.6 ° ).

It's still pretty warm here in Japan but up until three weeks ago we were getting solid weeks of 40°C ( 104° F ).

I'm pretty pleased with the result.

01 Heat Sink 960 EVO 250.JPG

02 Samsung M.2 960 EVO + heatsinks.jpg

zcream

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
cMP 5,1 with Sierra 12.6
I could get info about using intel pcie nvme 750 400gb as boot disk.
Will it work? Specifically does it have the 4k block sizes needed for Sierra?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
cMP 5,1 with Sierra 12.6
I could get info about using intel pcie nvme 750 400gb as boot disk.
Will it work? Specifically does it have the 4k block sizes needed for Sierra?
If you add the NVMe module, yes.

You have to find about what size of sector to know if will work with Sierra.

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
Sharing the requested Step-By-Step in Google Docs. The document under construction. Everyone has read / comment rights. If anyone wants to help, send me a PM with your gmail account and I'll grant editing rights.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNkM9LuGPq1sArO9EedWBHYq14NU7m-mDBLAWWJipyM/edit?usp=sharing
Thank you for this. I’ve just discovered it - great news!
[doublepost=1538930898][/doublepost]
Anyway, I am now co-installed the GT120 with the 1080Ti. So, I am fully ready to perform any test about Clover / rEFInd GOP EFI. I don't need to swap cards if anything goes wrong, just swap monitor input. So much easier for recovery.
So it’s ok to leave a GT120 installed alongside an RX580 and just plug into it when maintenance is required?

Leborgne23

macrumors member
May 23, 2018
Very important notice ! : you have to choose a pre-2015 NVME driver like the one for the MBP114 that Gilles used in the tutorial. I happened to have tried the one from the 2017 MBP hoping for even better performance and bricked my MacPro as a consequence. Really did not expect this as I thought any given NVME driver would either work or not work but certainly not prevent the whole machine from starting up.
Hope this prevents more accidents.
BTW thanks again for everything Gilles !

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Very important notice ! : you have to choose a pre-2015 NVME driver like the one for the MBP114 that Gilles used in the tutorial. I happened to have tried the one from the 2017 MBP hoping for even better performance and bricked my MacPro as a consequence. Really did not expect this as I thought any given NVME driver would either work or not work but certainly not prevent the whole machine from starting up.
Hope this prevents more accidents.
BTW thanks again for everything Gilles !
BootROM 140.0.0.0.0 has NVMe support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.