Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Battery life is my concern too. I sold my iPad mini a long time ago, loved the form factor, battery and apps but hated the resolution and got tired of the restricted OS. If the Nexus has a decent battery, I'll be first in line.

My battery has been good with the current nexus 7 and the snapdragon 600 should be a huge improvement over the tegra 3 in that department.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Okay, what the heck is up with the top/bottom bezel?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...d-notification-led-present-and-accounted-for/

nexusae0_BPu8PA0CYAAftD__thumb.png

It's like one third bezel combined. What the dill. :confused:

Also, is that a notification light on the bottom center there? Did the original Nexus 7 have a notification light?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The top and bottom bezels. :eek: And the off center camera. :eek: Yuck, yuck yuck.

----------

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...d-notification-led-present-and-accounted-for/

It's like one third bezel combined. What the dill. :confused:

Also, is that a notification light on the bottom center there? Did the original Nexus 7 have a notification light?
Looks like the device is meant to be used in landscape mode. But also looks like the speakers are right where you'd be holding the device with your hands. :confused:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It's just horrid.

My current N7 has such a nice comfy back with just enough grip to keep it from being slippery. When I saw the newest version of the N7 2 back it caused me to do a double take.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Agreed..a step forward with internal upgrades (display, CPU, RAM, dual speakers) but the form factor is not very appealing.

And cannot recall if the original Nexus 7 had a notification light but I don't believe it did.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have the links handy but there's been several reports of a new higher resolution display for the second generation Nexus 7. That's just one reason I'm upgrading to it from my original Nexus 7 .

I hope so. That would be a major coup to get a retina display on a 7-inch device before Apple.

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Please have LTE! I want the Note 8.0 LTE but it's too expensive. N7 with LTE for $300 or so is a done deal.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
The bezels look like crap. Most people I see use 7" tablets in portrait most of the time. Having a large bezel only for landscape use makes no sense. Plus this leaked marketing pictures is shown in portrait.

But for $230, I will still probably buy one.

----------

For $230, people shouldn't have much to complain about...

I have no problem complaining about the bezel ;)

----------
0rt8.jpg

You can see the speakers on the bottom a little clearer in addition to what looks like a SIM slot.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm guessing the extra space (thus bezel) is for the cameras and the dual speakers. And I guess the notification light.

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
I wish that top and bottom bezel were a tad bigger. Other than that, it looks OK.

Maybe they can finally achieve the screenless bezel in the 3rd gen.

----------

I'm guessing the extra space (thus bezel) is for the cameras and the dual speakers. And I guess the notification light.

You've got it backwards. Those things are there to allow for additional bezel.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Why are so many surprised? Its no different from the leaked video/pictures so by now you should have come to terms with it. As much as i would have preferred a reduced bezel for the extra screen real estate, it doesn't factor into whether i purchase it or not.

Especially considering that its now confirmed to be packing a higher res screen which was pretty much my only deal breaker. Now just confirm that its also packing a Snapdragon S600 and that's the icing on the cake.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
They better have some secret capacitive buttons for gaming or something in those bezels. My word that looks foul.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why are so many surprised? Its no different from the leaked video/pictures so by now you should have come to terms with it. As much as i would have preferred a reduced bezel for the extra screen real estate, it doesn't factor into whether i purchase it or not.

That's fine and dandy.

But for others, it was only recently that the leaks became validated -- semi-confirmed, if you will. It's also recently that the leaked photographs gave a clear picture of the Nexus 7.

Come to terms with it? I guess. The iPhone 5 was leaked early and when it became official, people still voiced their disappointments and concerns. Nothing wrong with that. "Don't act surprise" is not exactly a good argument...

----------

You've got it backwards. Those things are there to allow for additional bezel.

Explain, please? Do you mean Google/Asus wanted more bezel, but didn't know how to give it more bezel and their only solution to add bezel was to throw in cameras, dual-speakers, etc?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The bezels add to the impression it is even more elongated in portrait mode making it look too long & narrow.

At the price & specs it will however do very well despite looking lanky......

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
They better have some secret capacitive buttons for gaming or something in those bezels. My word that looks foul.

That would have been nice. Especially since there is so much bezel plus the stupid onscreen buttons sucking up screen area.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Full gallery. Love it or hate it, the bezels are there.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/22/here-is-the-new-asus-nexus-7-sporting-a-fresh-wallpaper-gallery/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.