Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Did a restore a few days ago and bye bye lag and slow downloads.

The love is back and I feel no need to upgrade now.

I was tempted myself due to the lag but a reboot fixed it for me, at least for now. Still not bad though. My N7 has never been powered off (manually or low on battery) for 9 months (since I got it basically).

Every other device would scream for a defrag by now too - might just do a restore anyway, will see how long until it starts lagging again.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I wanna see what prices will be for the LTE version. I hope it comes out around the same time.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Wow it's thin.

I guess that's also where the extra bezel is coming from. To spread the device's innards and battery...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
YouTube: video

For those that want it

Seems fine on the software side, plenty quick in the basic stuff we saw. I just cannot get past the size of those bezels. Eight inch displays seem to be my sweet spot and it looks like they could have accommodated a larger display without having to increase the size of the device. I'll reserve final judgement until I can see and use it but I think I'll likely be passing.

----------

Wow it's thin.

I guess that's also where the extra bezel is coming from. To spread the device's innards and battery...

Really, doesn't look that thin to me, appears to have same or similar rounded back panel as the last gen. Not that this was a bad thing, wasn't thin but wasn't thick either and was comfortable to hold.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Really, doesn't look that thin to me, appears to have same or similar rounded back panel as the last gen. Not that this was a bad thing, wasn't thin but wasn't thick either and was comfortable to hold.

Looks significantly thinner in the comparison pictures: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tabl...-Google-Nexus-7-specs-and-size-review_id45659

As you can see, the new Nexus 7 is much slimmer than the one of yesteryear, at only 0.3" (8mm), which is about a quarter of the thickness shaved off of the device. Not only that, but the 2013 edition is 11.2 oz (318 g), about ten percent lighter than before. It is almost as tall when held in portrait mode, but with a much slimmer side bezel, making it more comfortable to hold this way, while the top and bottom bezel is kept thicker, so you can rest your thumbs comfortably in landscape mode.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The black sides vs the silver on the first gen also contribute to the bezels looking bigger than they really are.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Looks significantly thinner in the comparison pictures: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tabl...-Google-Nexus-7-specs-and-size-review_id45659

As you can see, the new Nexus 7 is much slimmer than the one of yesteryear, at only 0.3" (8mm), which is about a quarter of the thickness shaved off of the device. Not only that, but the 2013 edition is 11.2 oz (318 g), about ten percent lighter than before. It is almost as tall when held in portrait mode, but with a much slimmer side bezel, making it more comfortable to hold this way, while the top and bottom bezel is kept thicker, so you can rest your thumbs comfortably in landscape mode.

Hadn't seen that comparo, I stand corrected. But I still don't like the form factor. It's taller than a Mini but with less screen (and consequently a lot more bezel). I am certainly aware that at the price being charged, there will be limits to what is possible but after using a Mini, everything else just feels/looks worse.

As always, will wait until I can hold/use one but my first impressions haven't changed.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Anybody gonna pre-order?

Not sure if it is coming with 4.3 and I want to check out the form factor. I do not expect it to fly off the shelf at Best Buy but I have no history on that cause I am pretty sure they did not carry the current n7.

So no until I get some hands on with it before I decide if I want to purchase. The current N7 running smoothly now after a restore and I also have a Mini as well. Too many toys but the price is right to tell the truth. Wonder if they will give anything for my current n7 towards the new one.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not sure if it is coming with 4.3 and I want to check out the form factor. I do not expect it to fly off the shelf at Best Buy but I have no history on that cause I am pretty sure they did not carry the current n7.

So no until I get some hands on with it before I decide if I want to purchase. The current N7 running smoothly now after a restore and I also have a Mini as well. Too many toys but the price is right to tell the truth. Wonder if they will give anything for my current n7 towards the new one.

This is pulled from the best buy pre order page.

"Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system"

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'll probably order this bad boy directly through Google Play.

Looking forward to compare it to the iPad Mini.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Support for LTE on AT&T, T Mobile, and verizon is great and all on one model. Too bad sprint is stupid and doesn't use sim cards. This gives hope that another nexus may come to Verizon. I was hoping that Verizon's switch to sim cards would eventually open up their network to non branded devices.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Support for LTE on AT&T, T Mobile, and verizon is great and all on one model. Too bad sprint is stupid and doesn't use sim cards. This gives hope that another nexus may come to Verizon. I was hoping that Verizon's switch to sim cards would eventually open up their network to non branded devices.

Going to be interesting to see if the same radios will be on offer in the next nexus phone.

Finally, freedom from Verizon updates and bloat on a true nexus device? :eek:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'll probably order this bad boy directly through Google Play.

Looking forward to compare it to the iPad Mini.

Not sure that is the best way if I remember correctly with the first n7. I am going to Best Buy but understandable that may not be the easiest resource for some.

I can walk it back to the store, 14 day return policy, if I end up buying it and not wanting to keep. I have a collection of devices starting to overwhelm a bit and many will not commend much in the way of resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.