Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Let me go back to where you said Google Play editions. Oh wait...

Go back to where I said anything about software, I was clearly asking about hardware.

Also I realize we will not agree on anything. If I say something is black, you say it's inverted-white.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Go back to where I said anything about software, I was clearly asking about hardware.

Also I realize we will not agree on anything. If I say something is black, you say it's inverted-white.

If you are going to ask my opinion on something maybe you should tell me what it is you want my opinion on ;)

And we already agreed on better app ecosystem and better support on the iPad mini, so clearly we agree on some things. :D

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
There is a bug with Jelly Bean and the memory they used in the first couple of runs of the Nexus 7. The OS is not able to issue trim commands to the storage at normal intervals. If you have an earlier model (Not sure when they switched the memory) you need to run something to force a trim. A restore will fix it temporarily but it will eventually keep coming back.

If you have root, this app can execute a trim command.*

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=en

If you do not have root, this app will fill your storage to capacity with empty files and will delete them all. Android will force a trim when it hits max cap.*

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kovit.p.forevergone

*Use at your own discretion and read the instructions carefully. No warranties are implied, rules and conditions subject to change, no purchase necessary, Eric Schmidt is not liable if a llama steals your Nexus device.

Wow, dude thanks! I'm not used to such informative, helpful post in this section of macrumors. I'm gonna install forever gone now and see how it goes!

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'm so ready to buy one if it includes a Snapdragon 600 or better. It also needs to have fantastic battery life. I am very eager to try out Android on a tablet.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm so ready to buy one if it includes a Snapdragon 600 or better. It also needs to have fantastic battery life. I am very eager to try out Android on a tablet.

It's a great time to buy when the second generation Nexus 7 is released. I have had lots of fun with my original Nexus 7. As much as I enjoy my iPad Mini, for my preferences the Nexus 7 with it's file system, higher resolution display and longer battery life is an ideal tablet. I'm very eager to order the next generation N7.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I find myself having a hard time parting with the larger screen of the iPad 3, however, the form factor (weight and size) and especially iOS 6 (and iOS 7 eventually, I guess) are just killing me. Anytime I try to type out a serious and/or lengthy email on my iPad, I want to throw the thing against the wall.

I'm also not fully convinced the Android tablet experience is quite there yet. If I can sell my iPad 3 for a sweet price, I'll be willing to give it a try with the new Nexus 7.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Based on the leaked specs, it looks like this thing didn't get a resolution bump. If it had, it surely would have been included under "key features". The fact that there is no mention of resolution at all is very troubling.

Sadly, it's probably going to be 1280x800 again.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Based on the leaked specs, it looks like this thing didn't get a resolution bump. If it had, it surely would have been included under "key features". The fact that there is no mention of resolution at all is very troubling.

Sadly, it's probably going to be 1200x800 again.

I don't have the links handy but there's been several reports of a new higher resolution display for the second generation Nexus 7. That's just one reason I'm upgrading to it from my original Nexus 7 .

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I find myself having a hard time parting with the larger screen of the iPad 3, however, the form factor (weight and size) and especially iOS 6 (and iOS 7 eventually, I guess) are just killing me. Anytime I try to type out a serious and/or lengthy email on my iPad, I want to throw the thing against the wall.

I'm also not fully convinced the Android tablet experience is quite there yet. If I can sell my iPad 3 for a sweet price, I'll be willing to give it a try with the new Nexus 7.

Well seeing as how the iPads keyboard is close to a real size laptop keyboard and the Nexus 7 will be a shrunken down keyboard, I'm not sure the Nexus 7 will help too much with writing emails.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well seeing as how the iPads keyboard is close to a real size laptop keyboard and the Nexus 7 will be a shrunken down keyboard, I'm not sure the Nexus 7 will help too much with writing emails.

You would utilise swipe so that you don't type like you would do on the iPad....

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

I've been using SwiftKey on my first generation Nexus 7 and it's blazing fast. I have large hands and yet there's lots of working room with any keyboard one chooses.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
You would utilise swipe so that you don't type like you would do on the iPad....

I've been using SwiftKey on my first generation Nexus 7 and it's blazing fast. I have large hands and yet there's lots of working room with any keyboard one chooses.

I can type much faster on my iPad than I can using SwiftKey on my Nexus 4. Being able to use all 10 fingers is really no comparison to a single swiping gesture. But hey, whatever suits you guys.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can type much faster on my iPad than I can using SwiftKey on my Nexus 4. Being able to use all 10 fingers is really no comparison to a single swiping gesture. But hey, whatever suits you guys.

Doesn't suit me as I don't like 16:10 7" tablets personally ;) but I do wish my iPad mini keyboard didnt miss key presses so offered something like swipe / swiftkey....

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Too bad the iOS keyboard can't keep up with real 10 finger typing. Heck, it can't even keep up with two thumb typing on the iPhone.

Swiping is the way to go (or continue to type normally; that's the beauty of being able to interchange keyboards). Also, split keyboard is easier to wield on a smaller device (I imagine this is true for the iPad Mini as well).

Also auto-correct, control over personal dictionary, the suggestion bar for both suggestions and corrections... customizable key sizes (for portrait and landscape modes)... different themes... long press for secondary symbols...

So many reasons why Android's keyboard experiences are better.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Too bad the iOS keyboard can't keep up with real 10 finger typing. Heck, it can't even keep up with two thumb typing on the iPhone.

Swiping is the way to go (or continue to type normally; that's the beauty of being able to interchange keyboards). Also, split keyboard is easier to wield on a smaller device (I imagine this is true for the iPad Mini as well).

Also auto-correct, control over personal dictionary, the suggestion bar for both suggestions and corrections... customizable key sizes (for portrait and landscape modes)... different themes... long press for secondary symbols...

So many reasons why Android's keyboard experiences are better.

iOS 7 does a much better job at not missing heys. Previously if you typed and held down 4 keys at once and then let go of the second letter, it would not register letters 3 and 4. When typing fast, this would cause missed keys. iOS 7 fixed this.

I do not see swyping as the way to go on a tablet. Too large of a surface area for slow one-finger letter to letter typing.

Split keyboards are nice and available on iOS.

I have seen threads on here where people say they prefer iOS autocorrect, so I don't see that as a 100% valid argument, but more subjective. Same thing with key sizes and themes.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Next week can't come soon enough. I've been interested in android tablets for a while now but the somewhat poor app ecosystem in comparison to iOS and my own personal "no gen one" rule poured cold water on that idea.

For its price point, this looks like its going to be a fantastic device. Vanila Android, Slightly above Full HD resolution, Quad core CPU (fingers crossed that its Snapdragon 600), Dual cameras and at least 2GB RAM.

My only concern is battery life. Can anyone with the original give me an idea of their own experience when it comes to how long the device lasts on a charge and is they've yet to notice any degradation to the battery.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iOS 7 does a much better job at not missing heys. Previously if you typed and held down 4 keys at once and then let go of the second letter, it would not register letters 3 and 4. When typing fast, this would cause missed keys. iOS 7 fixed this.

I do not see swyping as the way to go on a tablet. Too large of a surface area for slow one-finger letter to letter typing.

Split keyboards are nice and available on iOS.

I have seen threads on here where people say they prefer iOS autocorrect, so I don't see that as a 100% valid argument, but more subjective. Same thing with key sizes and themes.

I find swiping, even on a tablet-size device, faster, especially after one gets really good at it. But if thumb-pecking feels faster to someone else, the beauty of the Android keyboard, of Swiftkey Flow, and Kii (and others) is that you still can. And you can do so without needing to change a thing. Most android keyboards support both methods by default.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I find swiping, even on a tablet-size device, faster, especially after one gets really good at it. But if thumb-pecking feels faster to someone else, the beauty of the Android keyboard, of Swiftkey Flow, and Kii (and others) is that you still can. And you can do so without needing to change a thing. Most android keyboards support both methods by default.

I can thumb type really fast haha. Small hands actually pay off :p

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Next week can't come soon enough. I've been interested in android tablets for a while now but the somewhat poor app ecosystem in comparison to iOS and my own personal "no gen one" rule poured cold water on that idea.

For its price point, this looks like its going to be a fantastic device. Vanila Android, Slightly above Full HD resolution, Quad core CPU (fingers crossed that its Snapdragon 600), Dual cameras and at least 2GB RAM.

My only concern is battery life. Can anyone with the original give me an idea of their own experience when it comes to how long the device lasts on a charge and is they've yet to notice any degradation to the battery.

Battery life is my concern too. I sold my iPad mini a long time ago, loved the form factor, battery and apps but hated the resolution and got tired of the restricted OS. If the Nexus has a decent battery, I'll be first in line.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

Thumb typing on a 10 inch tablet in landscape? :eek:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If I can sell my iPad 3 for a sweet price, I'll be willing to give it a try with the new Nexus 7.

I just sold my iPad 2, 16gb wifi only on eBay for $350.

I have a love hate relationship with selling on eBay, but I made out like a bandit on that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.