Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Just done a walk, how do I see gps strength map?

On the iPhone app go to the Workouts tab (it should be the default) and select the walk. That should show a screen with the workout stats and a map and profile. This defaults to showing the pace colours and details, so just tap the GPS tab on the far right to see the GPS map and stats.

EDIT: Actually for walks and runs you will see a Steps tab on the far right, so select that and then tap the "Show GPS" button to see the GPS. I forgot that GPS is only the default for non-steps based activities such as cycling. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeagleo

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Is there a way to see satellite view of the map when looking at a workout?

Not in the next version, but the following version will be about improving maps and navigation features. One of the planned features is to offer satellite views in both the iPhone app and the watch app.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I have the steel model. I have no idea whether it makes a difference but it is an interesting thought.

In terms of GPS accuracy, I did read somewhere that the watch performs better when not relying on the iPhone GPS sensor (connected to phone). The GPS receiver on the watch will use more power but isn't tucked away inside a bag or pocket and is open to clear sky. I've never tested this out yet.... might do this next time on something that's easy to see if it's right or wrong.... city route with roads, pavements etc.

Reactions: cfc

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
In terms of GPS accuracy, I did read somewhere that the watch performs better when not relying on the iPhone GPS sensor (connected to phone). The GPS receiver on the watch will use more power but isn't tucked away inside a bag or pocket and is open to clear sky. I've never tested this out yet.... might do this next time on something that's easy to see if it's right or wrong.... city route with roads, pavements etc.

I think DC Rainmaker aluded to this in his test. I also noted that when I went swimming in the sea up and down the beach then the gps track would go crazy every time I swam past my phone (if I hadn't switched phone to airplane mode). I also noticed an improvement for running when I started wearing my watch upside down (left wrist, crown bottom left) maybe because the receiver was now pointing to the sky?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I’m curious - is it currently possible in the watchOS APIs to do voice turn by turn? Would love it in this app or possibly in a driving app for turn by turn directions.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I’m curious - is it currently possible in the watchOS APIs to do voice turn by turn? Would love it in this app or possibly in a driving app for turn by turn directions.

I plan to add turn by turn directions in a future version. The APIs allow an app to make the watch speak whatever phrase it wants, and determining what to say should be possible in the background, so in theory it is possible. There may be a deal-breaker that prevents it, but I cannot think of one at the moment.

Reactions: musicpenguy

Pewpewpew

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I think DC Rainmaker aluded to this in his test. I also noted that when I went swimming in the sea up and down the beach then the gps track would go crazy every time I swam past my phone (if I hadn't switched phone to airplane mode). I also noticed an improvement for running when I started wearing my watch upside down (left wrist, crown bottom left) maybe because the receiver was now pointing to the sky?
You’re right. GPS is more accurate when wearing the watch upside down. I managed to get 5 bars with the watch upside down. But it still keeps dropping from 5 to 4 for no reason. Big improvement upside down though. It just doesn’t seem to have the power to hold that <5m accuracy.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
You’re right. GPS is more accurate when wearing the watch upside down. I managed to get 5 bars with the watch upside down. But it still keeps dropping from 5 to 4 for no reason. Big improvement upside down though. It just doesn’t seem to have the power to hold that <5m accuracy.

To be fair the distinction between 4 and 5 bars was an arbitrary accuracy picked by me and I find that the results are fine with either (which is why they are both blue). It's only when it starts to drop to 3 grey bars for longer periods that I find that it can affect distance estimates etc. And if it drops to 2 or less red bars then there are definitely problems.

And even if the GPS is struggling then Apple use other sensors to compensate, including using the pedometer if you are running or walking. This can work quite well for short distances even in tunnels so should be able to handle short periods of poor GPS. It is when it is consistency showing 3 bars or less that the results may suffer, which is what I thought you were seeing?

It is worth remembering that the accuracy estimates that Apple supply are probably worst case, so when it says "within 10m" it could mean "probably less than 5m out but definitely less than 10m". Unfortunately we have no idea because they do not explain these things. It would also be interesting to know if the accuracy figures they supply are purely based on signal strength, or if they include confidence based on past locations.

Apologies for waffling on, but in summary: if you are seeing either 4 or 5 blue bars then that is fine, 3 grey bars is acceptable for brief moments, and 2 or less red bars mean GPS is not working well enough to trust the data.

Pewpewpew

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I’m using the wifes series 4 which picks up better signal than mine. Mine won’t go over 3 bars no matter what, hers gets the full 5 bars.

How does the watch decide which satellite system to use (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo)? Is it where the user is based? What satellites it picks up first? Defaults to Galileo? As I understand it Galileo should give accuracy to 1m at best?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I’m using the wifes series 4 which picks up better signal than mine. Mine won’t go over 3 bars no matter what, hers gets the full 5 bars.

How does the watch decide which satellite system to use (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo)? Is it where the user is based? What satellites it picks up first? Defaults to Galileo? As I understand it Galileo should give accuracy to 1m at best?

Apple are usually very secretive about those sort of details, probably because it is a complex algorithm that may change between versions of watchOS.

Everything is made very simple for apps. They just ask for the current location and receive one or more locations in response. The positions come with some data, such as the accuracy, but not much more than that. You can't even tell if the location came from WiFi instead of GPS, or whether it was from the phone or the watch, let alone which GPS system it used.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Apple are usually very secretive about those sort of details, probably because it is a complex algorithm that may change between versions of watchOS.

Everything is made very simple for apps. They just ask for the current location and receive one or more locations in response. The positions come with some data, such as the accuracy, but not much more than that. You can't even tell if the location came from WiFi instead of GPS, or whether it was from the phone or the watch, let alone which GPS system it used.

I would think that logic would dictate that Apple simply takes the "X" strongest signals, and processes them to provide a data point. Unlike some others, (Garmin, for instance) where you can actually choose which sats to use, GPS, GLONASS, or Galileo, and IMHO I believe this is probably better, as I have used an app that shows which birds are in the sky, and where they're positioned at the moment. However, the tracks that Apple Watch have provided are very good indeed, some even better than the ones from Garmin and Suunto. Curious as how they do that though.

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
It’s bummer that you can’t disable watch to use iPhone’s GPS without disconnecting AW. There’s a setting (Settings > Privacy > Location Services) for AW workout. But if you disable it, AW still uses iPhone’s GPS. It’s easy to test because my iPhone draws much worse GPS track than AW.
Attached pictures:
Straight line is from AW only. I have stopped for about five minutes. Other picture is from AW using iPhone GPS. In that picture I have also stopped for 5 minutes.
Would be nice if you could just block iPhone gps and still use notifications.

c34138f3124307624fc347a2891269bf.png
a8a3426ee4855aa4168bfd4aed9cf3c6.png

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I agree - I wish Apple would let apps (and therefore users) control whether the GPS comes from the iPhone or the Watch.

There is a very common use case for any workout app where the user starts a workout near their phone but then leaves it behind. This means that the watch GPS has to take over when the user gets out of range of the phone, and this transition can cause issues.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
So, what are some of the work-a-rounds on this? When I decided to "test" it, I too found the watch alone was actually a nicer, more accurate to where I walked, but I simply turned off Bluetooth on the phone. I don't always listen to music when I walk outside, or bike, mostly because I forget the Airpods, but if I did, what would be the other solution? Airplane mode? Would that work? I think I'd forego the music for a more accurate GPS track, but others may not be so easy.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
So, what are some of the work-a-rounds on this? When I decided to "test" it, I too found the watch alone was actually a nicer, more accurate to where I walked, but I simply turned off Bluetooth on the phone. I don't always listen to music when I walk outside, or bike, mostly because I forget the Airpods, but if I did, what would be the other solution? Airplane mode? Would that work? I think I'd forego the music for a more accurate GPS track, but others may not be so easy.

To be honest I am not sure how to get round it if you also need your phone for music. If the iPhone is connected then the watch uses it for GPS whether you want it to or not. I just wish Apple gave users and developers more control over it.

As an aside I have found that my watch GPS is only sometimes better than the iPhone and sometimes the iPhone GPS is better. In the past the iPhone was always better, but when I got an iPhone X and series 3 watch then the watch was usually better. I was never tested if it was due to the iPhone X being worse for GPS than previous iPhones, or if the series 3 watch was better than previous watches, but I suspected a bit of both.

So for others reading this who want the best accuracy then it is probably best to try both devices under the same conditions to see which gives the best signal.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Perhaps, if/when it warms up I'll do just that, but it would seem the data would only be valid for that day, with that particular set of satellites in the sky. With the Garmin, I've learned to check the app "GNSS View" to see how many birds of each type, (GPS, GLONASS, or Galileo) are in the sky, and where they are. Then I can set the watch to use which ever I want to use based upon that info. Seems to work pretty well for the fenix, but I like the other features of the Apple watch. *sigh* (insert dilemma wail here)

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
I’m normally using Airplane mode (AW) if I have my phone with me. But then you loose notifications from the Watch. LTE would be best solution, but for longer rides, it would eat battery too much. Secondly cellular version is not available where I live. If you just could disable iPhone’s GPS for a Watch, that would solve this. For some reason disabling that setting from iPhone location services doesn’t do that.

Edit:
Main problem with my iPhone X is that it gives about 5% too much distance and sometimes there’s odd sudden jumps in GPS line. I didn’t have this kind of problems with my previous iPhones.

Last edited:

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Today went out for a 11mile hike around the lakes. I left the connection with the iPhone after looking at previous workouts that showed an average of 6m. Today was and average of 5m. I did do a test with the watch on it's own and it did perform better but the difference is not massive from my experience (AW4 and IPX).

Used the app with a gpx route today rather than using Viewranger. Your app was so much faster to zoom in with the crown. There's a lot of lag with Viewranger that makes that feature unusable. Going forward, I'll just be using your app on the watch and when I need more detailed map I'll pop open Viewranger in the phone.

One question, is it possible to scroll between screens rather than the triple tap? I only ask as the temperatures and dropping fast and the dexterity of the fingers makes them a little clumsy trying to get the 3 taps to work all the time. The missus was pulling her hair out.... while this was funny to watch I have to admit, if possible, scrolling would be better!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Today went out for a 11mile hike around the lakes. I left the connection with the iPhone after looking at previous workouts that showed an average of 6m. Today was and average of 5m. I did do a test with the watch on it's own and it did perform better but the difference is not massive from my experience (AW4 and IPX).

Used the app with a gpx route today rather than using Viewranger. Your app was so much faster to zoom in with the crown. There's a lot of lag with Viewranger that makes that feature unusable. Going forward, I'll just be using your app on the watch and when I need more detailed map I'll pop open Viewranger in the phone.

One question, is it possible to scroll between screens rather than the triple tap? I only ask as the temperatures and dropping fast and the dexterity of the fingers makes them a little clumsy trying to get the 3 taps to work all the time. The missus was pulling her hair out.... while this was funny to watch I have to admit, if possible, scrolling would be better!

Thanks for the feedback. 5m or 6m average minimum accuracy is great for either device.

Glad you like the fast zooming speed, which is mainly because it is a vector map. This is also why it can be rotated according to your direction of travel without rotating the text as well. As far as I know it is the only vector map available on the watch apart from Apple's map, which cannot be used in third party apps (and isn't brilliant for trails).

The next version has the ability to swipe between screens. You need to swipe below the map if it is shown (otherwise it will pan the map) but it is still much easier than 3 taps. This version is currently being tested and should hopefully be on the App Store in about 2 weeks.

Reactions: Toonartist

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks for the feedback. 5m or 6m average minimum accuracy is great for either device.

Glad you like the fast zooming speed, which is mainly because it is a vector map. This is also why it can be rotated according to your direction of travel without rotating the text as well. As far as I know it is the only vector map available on the watch apart from Apple's map, which cannot be used in third party apps (and isn't brilliant for trails).

The next version has the ability to swipe between screens. You need to swipe below the map if it is shown (otherwise it will pan the map) but it is still much easier than 3 taps. This version is currently being tested and should hopefully be on the App Store in about 2 weeks.

Excellent... always one step ahead ;)

Is the rotation of the vector map something in settings or automatic? Vector is an excellent format for low file size and infinite scaling.

Between your app and the AW4, it is turning into real alternative to Garmin. The only reason I use the Fenix 5 now is for the bike sensors and the First Beat data. That maybe something you could look at. Licensing First Beats VO2, Aerobic, Anaerobic and Recovery data. You could sell it as an additional add on package! Just depends on how easy it is to integrate. I'm sure there would be a lot of runners who would be interested in that type of data.

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/

As far as sensors go, that's apples problem :p

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Excellent... always one step ahead ;)

Is the rotation of the vector map something in settings or automatic? Vector is an excellent format for low file size and infinite scaling.

Between your app and the AW4, it is turning into real alternative to Garmin. The only reason I use the Fenix 5 now is for the bike sensors and the First Beat data. That maybe something you could look at. Licensing First Beats VO2, Aerobic, Anaerobic and Recovery data. You could sell it as an additional add on package! Just depends on how easy it is to integrate. I'm sure there would be a lot of runners who would be interested in that type of data.

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/

As far as sensors go, that's apples problem :p

To switch to auto-rotate mode just tap the red compass and it will rotate according to your direction of travel. The compass will continue to point north. The app will remember the setting so it will automatically rotate the next time you start a workout. One slight compromise is that you need to wait until you have moved a bit before the compass appears. This is because the watch does not have a compass built-in, so the app synthesises it by using the GPS positions to determine the direction of travel.

Thanks for the First Beat link. I am always interested in adding new features so I will take a look. And, as you say, it would be great if Apple would add support for sensors other than heart rate ones. I was hoping they would add some new types in watchOS 5, but unfortunately not. Hopefully we won't have to wait until watchOS 6 to see support for power, cadence, drag etc.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
To switch to auto-rotate mode just tap the red compass and it will rotate according to your direction of travel. The compass will continue to point north. The app will remember the setting so it will automatically rotate the next time you start a workout. One slight compromise is that you need to wait until you have moved a bit before the compass appears. This is because the watch does not have a compass built-in, so the app synthesises it by using the GPS positions to determine the direction of travel.

Thanks for the First Beat link. I am always interested in adding new features so I will take a look. And, as you say, it would be great if Apple would add support for sensors other than heart rate ones. I was hoping they would add some new types in watchOS 5, but unfortunately not. Hopefully we won't have to wait until watchOS 6 to see support for power, cadence, drag etc.

Definitely would be interested in First Beat for AW!

Reactions: oboe5150

q50

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Hi from Finland,

A few questions.
How do I get split times (split points) in the recorded route (Export - Gpx)? Gpx format does not have this information and I tried also with the HealthFit application (fit file) - this also does not work.
The Garmin Connect program fit file contains this information (Figure 1: red small circle inside the control point (purple)). A saved route from fenix 3.
Figure 2 is a WorkOutDoors application with a gpx file where this information is not. A saved route from Apple Watch Nike+ series 4.
Is this possible to implement for future releases? Eg export file (fit, tcx, gpx) contains control points on the route.
The navigation map software is used by QuickRoute (pictures).

Can the WorkOutDoors application import their own maps eg in jpg format and in a known location specify the coordinates that Apple Watch can show its location correctly on its own map? This would be a great feature.

I am a new Apple Watch user and the software is awesome - I like it.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.