Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for buying the app. I am glad that you like it.

Split times can be calculated from the information in exported GPX files. If you upload a GPX file to a system like Strava or Garmin Connect then it will show the splits. Alternatively the WorkOutDoors watch app and iPhone app both show split information for dozens of different metrics.

I plan to add the ability to save locations defined by users as waypoints in the exported GPX file, and also to enable turn by turn navigation using imported GPX routes. Is that what you mean?

WorkOutDoors maps are vector based rather than raster based, so I do not plan to allow raster maps to be imported and geo-referenced in the near future. However I do plan to improve the vector maps with contour and hill shading in a future version.

Thanks again for buying the app, and for your suggestions.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Hi
I had an odd one today
Everything displays ok in app but in health and strava export there is no map !
Maybe one of the records is off ? Any ideas ?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
The sending of the map to Apple's health system occasionally fails. As far as I know this is a watchOS issue because I have heard of it for other workout apps. Sorry about that.

The next version of the app uses a new way of saving workouts that Apple introduced with watchOS 5, so I am hoping that is more reliable.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
The sending of the map to Apple's health system occasionally fails. As far as I know this is a watchOS issue because I have heard of it for other workout apps. Sorry about that.

The next version of the app uses a new way of saving workouts that Apple introduced with watchOS 5, so I am hoping that is more reliable.
Yeah am aware of that but even a direct gpx export via mail doesn’t show a map
Would that still be the case ?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I also had a problem with beta version last week to save the map to health

It sounds like Apple have not fixed it in watchOS 5 then, which is a shame. It works most of the time but for some reason it occasionally gets lost between the app and Apple's health system.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I bought the app last week at the suggestion of someone online. Great app and thanks for making it and supporting it.

On the features for running, I would like to request a two frame view (half and half ) of the workout in the iPhone app showing the map on top and the pace chart time history at the bottom.

Another question I have is to mute notifications when I go for a run, this bugs me and I think an app setting where the app mutes notification so that the screen is not taken up notification during the run and I can focus on the run stats.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I bought the app last week at the suggestion of someone online. Great app and thanks for making it and supporting it.

On the features for running, I would like to request a two frame view (half and half ) of the workout in the iPhone app showing the map on top and the pace chart time history at the bottom.

Another question I have is to mute notifications when I go for a run, this bugs me and I think an app setting where the app mutes notification so that the screen is not taken up notification during the run and I can focus on the run stats.

Thanks for buying the app.

There are many screen layouts to choose from but a half and half layout with a map and one data field is not one of them I'm afraid. I will consider it for a future version.

You can switch off notifications in the settings. Force press the screen and choose Settings and then Alerts. The only alert switched on by default is the Distance alert, so select that and disable it.

ptukhar

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
bay area, CA

Yep - love the app. Only issue I have is the sporadic maps saving to apple health issue. Looking forward to the next version. When will that be ready?. Thanks

q50

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Thanks for buying the app. I am glad that you like it.

Split times can be calculated from the information in exported GPX files. If you upload a GPX file to a system like Strava or Garmin Connect then it will show the splits. Alternatively the WorkOutDoors watch app and iPhone app both show split information for dozens of different metrics.

I plan to add the ability to save locations defined by users as waypoints in the exported GPX file, and also to enable turn by turn navigation using imported GPX routes. Is that what you mean?

WorkOutDoors maps are vector based rather than raster based, so I do not plan to allow raster maps to be imported and geo-referenced in the near future. However I do plan to improve the vector maps with contour and hill shading in a future version.

Thanks again for buying the app, and for your suggestions.
The WorkOutDoors application shows split times correctly (image) - Manual Lap (Side Buttons) at each control point. The Apple Health application also includes Workout Events.
Exported GPX files. Garmin Connect does not show split times correctly (second image). I also tested the Strava application with the same GPX file and the application did not show split times - only Strava showed every 1km interval.
The Track determination/adjusting on the map in QuickRoute program would be easier if the saved route included the manual laps (control points). This is not a big issue.

QuickRoute software can be found here if you want to explore: http://www.matstroeng.se/quickroute/en/index.php

I understand the import of raster maps.
11C0A067-20C2-40EF-81AB-D7596FA4EBFB.png F8BD52B9-297C-4EDA-8F39-52560F7AD72A.jpeg

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Yep - love the app. Only issue I have is the sporadic maps saving to apple health issue. Looking forward to the next version. When will that be ready?. Thanks

The plan is to release to the App Store early next week if testing goes well. Thanks.
[doublepost=1540283788][/doublepost]
The WorkOutDoors application shows split times correctly (image) - Manual Lap (Side Buttons) at each control point. The Apple Health application also includes Workout Events.
Exported GPX files. Garmin Connect does not show split times correctly (second image). I also tested the Strava application with the same GPX file and the application did not show split times - only Strava showed every 1km interval.
The Track determination/adjusting on the map in QuickRoute program would be easier if the saved route included the manual laps (control points). This is not a big issue.

QuickRoute software can be found here if you want to explore: http://www.matstroeng.se/quickroute/en/index.php

I understand the import of raster maps.
View attachment 797615 View attachment 797616

Sorry, I understand now. I forgot about manual laps. You are right - the GPX does not include the manual lap start points, but I plan to add them in a future version which will improve the navigation aspects of the app. Several people have asked for the ability to create waypoints in the exported GPX file, and the most obvious waypoints to include would be lap starts. I will do some research and make sure they are stored in a format that can be parsed by other apps.

Apologies for not understanding what you meant before.

q50

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
^
No problem. My first query would also be a bit confusing.

It's great to hear that this feature is coming in the next versions - awesome. I'll test it as soon as it becomes available.

I'll wait to new changes and features. Top software!

Reactions: cfc

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Thanks for buying the app.

There are many screen layouts to choose from but a half and half layout with a map and one data field is not one of them I'm afraid. I will consider it for a future version.

You can switch off notifications in the settings. Force press the screen and choose Settings and then Alerts. The only alert switched on by default is the Distance alert, so select that and disable it.
Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Settings feature on the watch app. I guess I am still learning the ropes, and I have to RTFM.

Thanks for considering the layout option.

The alerts question was more pertaining to global alerts of the watch, like messages, phone calls etc. I don't want to receive those alerts on the screen except for the haptic feedback and the red dot. I only want calls and messages from my Favorites list during a run show up on the screen, something like the Do Not Disturb setting of the phone.
Is that something that the App could do in the future, turn on Do Not Disturb like features while the app is running?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Settings feature on the watch app. I guess I am still learning the ropes, and I have to RTFM.

Thanks for considering the layout option.

The alerts question was more pertaining to global alerts of the watch, like messages, phone calls etc. I don't want to receive those alerts on the screen except for the haptic feedback and the red dot. I only want calls and messages from my Favorites list during a run show up on the screen, something like the Do Not Disturb setting of the phone.
Is that something that the App could do in the future, turn on Do Not Disturb like features while the app is running?

Unfortunately there isn't much that apps can do about global alerts, so you will need to configure them in the usual watchOS settings. Sorry about that.

There are loads of settings, so please have a play with them to see what the app can do!

Tomsm121

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Is there any option to use multisports like duathlon of triatlon? Of any easy work around not to stop workout and start a new one?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Is there any option to use multisports like duathlon of triatlon? Of any easy work around not to stop workout and start a new one?

Not at the moment, but it is on my "To Do" list. Sorry about that.

q50

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Proposal for a new workout type: Orienteering and Trail Running.

The possibility to disable unnecessary/unused workout types?

I have Wahoo TICKR X heart rate monitor and this supports Motion Analytics features – Running Analytics: Cadence (this feature is already directly in the app), Ground Contact Time, Vertical Oscillation.

Is it possible to use these Running Analytics features in the WorkOutDoors application?

Thanks!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Proposal for a new workout type: Orienteering and Trail Running.

The possibility to disable unnecessary/unused workout types?

I have Wahoo TICKR X heart rate monitor and this supports Motion Analytics features – Running Analytics: Cadence (this feature is already directly in the app), Ground Contact Time, Vertical Oscillation.

Is it possible to use these Running Analytics features in the WorkOutDoors application?

Thanks!

The app uses a subset of the workout types offered by Apple and unfortunately Orienteering/Trail Running isn't one of them. I would imagine that the standard running workout would be the closest but may calculate calories a bit lower than they should be.

The next version of the app (out next week) includes the ability to only offer the workout types that you are interested in.

The app only handles the sensor types supported by watchOS, which at the moment is only heart rate sensors. And even when an HR sensor offers other metrics they are not passed on to the app by watchOS. Hopefully Apple will improve the number of sensor types that they connect to in the not too distant future.

OMouyau

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
Helloooo !

I just purchased an Apple Watch (4) 2 days ago and one of the use I had in mind was to replace my Garmin watch. But I have found most of the running app pretty useless. Even app like Strava are very minimalist. Was desperately looking for an app that was actually using a map or at least breadcrumb (nice for trail running) and here YOU are !!
I was so excited I had to get out for short walk to test it as I'm already in PJ tonight !!!!

Now quick question. I can extract the GPX file for manual upload on Strava but it requires using the computer :( ...
Any other way to export directly from the app to Strava ? or to Garmin Connect ?
From the app on the phone or even from the watch directly, using wifi or cellular ?

Thanks.
Oli.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Helloooo !

I just purchased an Apple Watch (4) 2 days ago and one of the use I had in mind was to replace my Garmin watch. But I have found most of the running app pretty useless. Even app like Strava are very minimalist. Was desperately looking for an app that was actually using a map or at least breadcrumb (nice for trail running) and here YOU are !!
I was so excited I had to get out for short walk to test it as I'm already in PJ tonight !!!!

Now quick question. I can extract the GPX file for manual upload on Strava but it requires using the computer :( ...
Any other way to export directly from the app to Strava ? or to Garmin Connect ?
From the app on the phone or even from the watch directly, using wifi or cellular ?

Thanks.
Oli.

Many thanks for buying the app! As @rbart says you can upload using a third party app like HealthFit (which allows you to send the workout to many different services) or wait for the next version of WorkOutDoors (released in the next few days), which will have direct uploading to Strava. It will also make the most of the larger screen on your AW4.

Reactions: OMouyau

OMouyau

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
You can export to Strava with healthfit app.
Or wait for the next workoutdoors version which includes strava export

MERCI. I'm new to Apple Watch, lots to discover.
[doublepost=1540548264][/doublepost]
Many thanks for buying the app! As @rbart says you can upload using a third party app like HealthFit (which allows you to send the workout to many different services) or wait for the next version of WorkOutDoors (released in the next few days), which will have direct uploading to Strava. It will also make the most of the larger screen on your AW4.

Awesome ! Thank you very much !

Reactions: cfc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.