Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristian.K

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
Apple Watch (AW) and WorkOutDoors app may have just become the successor to my Garmin FR 935 (yep, really).

I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 935 when trail running over the past year and been very pleased with the watch. Now, I was eyeing the new Garmin Fenix 5 plus that now includes full maps as opposed to "only" breadcrumb trail navigation. I like breadcrumb trails for navigation because of their visual clarity but they don't help exploring unplanned trails on the fly. Long story short, Garmin's surreal $700-$800 price tag for the Fenix 5 Plus made me look for alternatives. It strikes me that Garmin thinks they can get away with that price when you can get a brand new Apple Watch 4 for half the price (arguably offering substantial better value overall). And yes, I know the AW does not have buttons that we runners like so much - a touch screen is suboptimal when sweating and on the move.

Well, it turns out that WorkOutDoors seems to currently be the only AW app offering workout functionalities and a map/navigation interface at the same time... and the app is incredibly well done. Coming from the Garmin I feel right at home in customizing all the screen interfaces choosing from the large number of available metrics.

I resolved the lack of buttons on the AW by setting up one single screen in WorkOutDoors that includes all the 6 metrics I like plus the map interface showing my running route (in my case: Time, Distance, Heart Rate, Heart Rate Zone, Current Cadence, Current Pace). The map used is OpenStreetMap so all hiking trails are included - awesome for trail running.

What can I say, I find myself unexpectedly using Apple Watch for the first time. The lack of buttons in using this combo for my trail runs is less of an issue than I thought it would be.

If you consider getting a new Garmin now or have an Apple Watch and do workouts/running, there should be no reason for you not to try out the AW + WorkOutDoors combo. My only question: why is this app not better advertised on the Apple App store???

Reactions: cfc and gr4z

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
Apple Watch (AW) and WorkOutDoors app may have just become the successor to my Garmin FR 935 (yep, really).

I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 935 when trail running over the past year and been very pleased with the watch. Now, I was eyeing the new Garmin Fenix 5 plus that now includes full maps as opposed to "only" breadcrumb trail navigation. I like breadcrumb trails for navigation because of their visual clarity but they don't help exploring unplanned trails on the fly. Long story short, Garmin's surreal $700-$800 price tag for the Fenix 5 Plus made me look for alternatives. It strikes me that Garmin thinks they can get away with that price when you can get a brand new Apple Watch 4 for half the price (arguably offering substantial better value overall). And yes, I know the AW does not have buttons that we runners like so much - a touch screen is suboptimal when sweating and on the move.

Well, it turns out that WorkOutDoors seems to currently be the only AW app offering workout functionalities and a map/navigation interface at the same time... and the app is incredibly well done. Coming from the Garmin I feel right at home in customizing all the screen interfaces choosing from the large number of available metrics.

I resolved the lack of buttons on the AW by setting up one single screen in WorkOutDoors that includes all the 6 metrics I like plus the map interface showing my running route (in my case: Time, Distance, Heart Rate, Heart Rate Zone, Current Cadence, Current Pace). The map used is OpenStreetMap so all hiking trails are included - awesome for trail running.

What can I say, I find myself unexpectedly using Apple Watch for the first time. The lack of buttons in using this combo for my trail runs is less of an issue than I thought it would be.

If you consider getting a new Garmin now or have an Apple Watch and do workouts/running, there should be no reason for you not to try out the AW + WorkOutDoors combo. My only question: why is this app not better advertised on the Apple App store???

I am in EXACTLY the same boat. Currently have a FR935 and been pleased with its features but, like you, was eyeing up a Fenix 5 plus titanium until I saw the price. In the UK it's £750 which is just stupid. Garmin have heavily restricted where you can buy the more premium 5 plus models in the UK so no discounts either.

So been researching the AW4 and today pushed the button on the 44mm AW4 Aluminium Space Grey. It gets delivered tomorrow and the first app I will install is WorkOutDoors. Would be keen on seeing your watch face for running as never used this app before.

My only concern is the battery life compared to the 935. My runs are half marathons or shorter so should be fine for that. I will also be using it for Golf (would be looking at hole19 or fungolf) and at my local club rounds can take 5 hours. GPS is rated at 6 hours so should be OK. I would be intersted in your thoughts as a previous 935 user.

Reactions: cfc

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
Oh I do ;) PB is 1hr40m. Its playing golf for 5 hours and also using something like the Hole19 app that might eat up the battery.

Kristian.K

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
Apple Watch battery time is definitely very different from the Garmin 935. My usage is a bit peculiar. I only use the Garmin for running 2-3 times a week for 30-60 minutes each time, some times up to 90 minutes. The Garmin has a great battery life in general and is very quick to power down and boot up so I actually power it off between runs and it goes for a few weeks with that usage on one battery charge. I tried but never took on to using the Garmin the whole day, the display is just a little too dim for me and I prefer my mechanical watches to it.

The Apple Watch is VERY different. It is quite quick to power down but takes long to boot up. It really is a device that wants to be ON all the time and so overnight it needs to live on the charger as battery life is far from the Garmin's.
Also, I am using an AW Series 2 that I had lying in my drawer for a year or more without any use, so the battery is probably not in its best state and a new one will behave differently. Still, with 2 40-min GPS workouts in one day it still had enough power to live on my wrist for the entire rest of the day arriving at 10% at the end of the day. Not using it for any workout and wearing it for a full day I arrive at 50% battery at the end of the day which I thought was not bad.
For running longer distances you have the max 6 or so hours with GPS on from the specs, so should be fine for that. Don't expect the watch to necessarily have battery for the remaining day if you do a golf course for 5 hours with GPS on - but again, not sure and you should try.

Attaching 2 screenshots of my workoutdoors screen setup for running. this is really one screen setup only with the metrics on the side and below. double-tapping on the map puts the map full screen and double tapping again brings the metrics back which is rather neat and very doable also while running. But it seems to work for me with the smaller space for the map too. The map does not show a route or my location as I was indoors when taking the screen shots.

The metrics and their location in the interface is totally customizable, which is great.

IMG_4258.PNG

IMG_4259.PNG

Reactions: cfc and gr4z

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
This is really useful thanks! I just want it to last all day on a very GPS heavy day or when I need it to, up to 2 days on light usage.

I have a powerbank for use when out and about, but you can't charge the watch and wear it unfortunately.

Kristian.K

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
Based on my modest experience with AW and workoutdoors I'd say that your use scenario should be doable. The powerbank of course is a good backup for this. You can't wear AW while charging but I guest with a rubber band you can strap the watch to its charger so that you can keep watch/charger/powerbank in a bag while charging AW (agreed, this is not the most elegant solution but would extend your range)

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Based on my modest experience with AW and workoutdoors I'd say that your use scenario should be doable. The powerbank of course is a good backup for this. You can't wear AW while charging but I guest with a rubber band you can strap the watch to its charger so that you can keep watch/charger/powerbank in a bag while charging AW (agreed, this is not the most elegant solution but would extend your range)

I have one of these (below) and if you loosen the band, you can put it under the watch and go, assuming that the heart rate function isn't necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wir...n+Portable+Apple+Watch+Magnetic+Charger&psc=1

Reactions: scmill

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Please forgive my ignorance of both the AW and this app...

It looks like this app has a complication, but I can't find any watch face that allows me to use it. What does the complication do and which faces will allow me to use it? The app looks amazing and I've been looking forward to getting my watch in no small part to be able to use the app.

Thanks for any help.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Please forgive my ignorance of both the AW and this app...

It looks like this app has a complication, but I can't find any watch face that allows me to use it. What does the complication do and which faces will allow me to use it? The app looks amazing and I've been looking forward to getting my watch in no small part to be able to use the app.

Thanks for any help.

Many thanks for buying the app! The complication is currently very simple and only provides a way to start the app. I looked into using it to show more real-time information but Apple restrict the number of changes you can make to the data displayed, which was too limiting. It is fine for showing things that do not change often, but not for metrics that can change every second.

Which screens are you trying to add a complication to? It should be available on all the old screens but if they are the new screens on the Series 4 then I haven't updated the app for that yet. I have done most of the coding but want to try it on an actual watch first and then release to beta testers. My watch is due sometime next week so it may be a couple of weeks before it comes out. Sorry about that.

Reactions: dallison13

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Many thanks for buying the app! The complication is currently very simple and only provides a way to start the app. I looked into using it to show more real-time information but Apple restrict the number of changes you can make to the data displayed, which was too limiting. It is fine for showing things that do not change often, but not for metrics that can change every second.

Which screens are you trying to add a complication to? It should be available on all the old screens but if they are the new screens on the Series 4 then I haven't updated the app for that yet. I have done most of the coding but want to try it on an actual watch first and then release to beta testers. My watch is due sometime next week so it may be a couple of weeks before it comes out. Sorry about that.
Fair enough. Really, all I want to be able to do is start the app from the watch face, so that will be perfect. And, yes, I was trying to use the new faces.

Looking forward to it.

rexet

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2017
I just discovered this app yesterday and this is an amazing work! I can't believe I didn't hear about it before.

I have a Serie 4 and I can't wait to have a full support of the new larger screen. I hope that Apple will also fix the new infograph homescreens to be able to add a quick launch icon as a complication.
I also hope that you will be able to implement the music controls to avoid switching between apps while running.

Keep up the good work!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for buying the app. Glad you like it!

The next version will have support for the larger screens, plus complications for launching the app from the new screens. I have also added the ability to display the music controls, as well as other new features such as direct uploading to Strava. I am just waiting for my series 4 to arrive so that I can test it and then release it to beta testers.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
That sounds good !
I have one question : is it possible, when you load a GPX/TCX with elevation data to display the complete elevation graph on the watch and put a mark on the graph to view what we have done and what we have to climb ?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
That sounds good !
I have one question : is it possible, when you load a GPX/TCX with elevation data to display the complete elevation graph on the watch and put a mark on the graph to view what we have done and what we have to climb ?

Not in the current version, but after the new WatchOS 5 / Series 4 version is released then I plan to improve the maps and navigation aspect of the app. I will still improve the workout features (intervals have been requested a lot recently) but the focus for that version will be improved maps and navigation features.

This will include improving the route following features, such as giving turn-by-turn instructions; warnings when you deviate from the trail; and metrics to say how far you have to go. These metrics will include remaining ascent and descent values, as well as the distance remaining, estimated time remaining, estimated time of arrival and more.

Displaying an elevation profile of the route on the watch sounds a good idea so I will probably include that. My first thought is that I would simply enhance the current Info screen to show both the route so far and the rest of the route from the GPX. This screenshot shows what it looks like at the moment, but it could be pretty easily adapted to show both the actual and planned routes, with an indicator of your current position on the profile as well as on the map.

WatchElevation.png

Reactions: Toonartist

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have seen this functionality on a Garmin Fenix, and I think it's interesting when you run a race to have a clear info about where you are when you climb.
If you can add this, it's really great !

Crzylgs15

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
@cfc I have a couple questions about this app.

Is there a list of workouts that are supported by this app? Is pool (open water and/or pool) swims on there?

Is there any way to record how many miles are on a particular pair of running shoes/bike tires/etc.? That is one feature I love on the current app I am using. It lets you set a pair of shoes for example that were used on that workout.

Thanks and I really wish I could trial this app for a couple workouts to see if it can dethrone my current app!

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I haven't seen swimming.
No shoe/wheel management, but you can export all to strava and have this information into strava.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
@rbart is correct: there is currently no swimming or shoe/wheel management at the moment. Sorry about that.

I plan to add swimming in the future. I didn't include it before because it didn't seem the sort of activity that needed a map, which was previously the main unique feature of WorkOutDoors. However now that the app does so much more then it makes sense to add swimming and also indoor workouts, so they are my list of things to add.

I am not sure about shoe/wheel management at the moment. Currently WorkOutDoors is more oriented towards individual workouts, with the idea being that long term totals are handled by Apple Health and third-party apps and services such as Strava or Garmin. However that may change in the future if enough people ask for it.

@Crzylgs15 : In terms of trialing the app, unfortunately Apple don't provide that ability (not easily for the user anyway). I wish I could provide a free limited functionality version but the maps cost me money, so it wouldn't be economical. You can always buy the app and get a refund from Apple within 14 days if you do not like it.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I think it will be difficult for you to implement all the post-run analysis/sharing features we can find in Strava or other platforms. I think it's not the main priority and you are right when you design your app to be the best solution for running/hiking with Apple Watch.
Other apps do the opposite: they create a poor AW app to connect to their platforms.
With your app, we have the best of the 2 worlds: a great app on your arm that can export data to great ecosystems.

You app already does a lot of things. You have to keep control on it to avoid to be too complex/huge.
We all have a lot of ideas, but you are the one who is able to decide the roadmap of your app and keep in mind your initial goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: dallison13 and cfc

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks. That is the way I look at it as well: there are already plenty of very good analysis platforms that work with all devices and apps, so I am just concentrating on individual workouts that are automatically saved to Apple's Health system, and can be uploaded to those platforms if people want.

I like to think that the iPhone app provides detailed analysis of the individual workouts, but at the moment I do not plan to extend that to totals across workouts.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I think it will be difficult for you to implement all the post-run analysis/sharing features we can find in Strava or other platforms. I think it's not the main priority and you are right when you design your app to be the best solution for running/hiking with Apple Watch.
Other apps do the opposite: they create a poor AW app to connect to their platforms.
With your app, we have the best of the 2 worlds: a great app on your arm that can export data to great ecosystems.

You app already does a lot of things. You have to keep control on it to avoid to be too complex/huge.
We all have a lot of ideas, but you are the one who is able to decide the roadmap of your app and keep in mind your initial goal.
Agree with this. You and I @cfc have chatted on occasion about your app and I believe it's the best on the App Store at what it does. Don't be pressured to add too many features! Cannot please everyone!
Actually it's quite stunning the work you've done on this on your own. Updating Strava or Nike is like turning a cruise ship. takes forever.
Question, what is your smoothing mechanism and how did you decide on how much to smooth or not? I noticed on my AW4, GPS seems to be improved. I have run with your app and the native app on the same route and noticed an improvement in tracking on both although Apple still oversmooths the gps route. How does yours work? It appears to smooth more the faster you go. A walk still appears fairly jagged. Just curious.
As always, great work.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Agree with this. You and I @cfc have chatted on occasion about your app and I believe it's the best on the App Store at what it does. Don't be pressured to add too many features! Cannot please everyone!
Actually it's quite stunning the work you've done on this on your own. Updating Strava or Nike is like turning a cruise ship. takes forever.
Question, what is your smoothing mechanism and how did you decide on how much to smooth or not? I noticed on my AW4, GPS seems to be improved. I have run with your app and the native app on the same route and noticed an improvement in tracking on both although Apple still oversmooths the gps route. How does yours work? It appears to smooth more the faster you go. A walk still appears fairly jagged. Just curious.
As always, great work.

Thanks. I have really appreciated our occasional chats. It's always very useful to get feedback from someone who has tried so many different workout apps!

The smoothing the app uses on the route is relatively simple and doesn't actually involve any specific smoothing algorithms (unlike for other metrics in the app). It only stores points where the GPS has moved by a certain number of metres, and it takes into account the accuracy of the GPS signal, which is provided by Apple.

So essentially it picks and chooses from the locations that Apple supply, rather than smoothing them. This is partly because I looks as if the locations it receives have already been smoothed in some way and I do not want to over-smooth them. It took a lot of refining to get the distances on the route to match "real-world" distances, but it seems to do a good job now.

I think the reason that slower workouts can look slightly more jagged is because there will be more points over the same distance and so if the accuracy is poor then the jaggedness will appear at a higher frequency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.