Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Notch

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • Forehead

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
With the 24" iMac, Apple has made one thing clear: they want to ship recognizable designs.
Recognizable first, beautiful second.
This results in lots of free press and consequently, free marketing.
Personally, I don't care one bit, obviously there will be an option to black out the notch surroundings and enjoy a plain screen.
But it's still hilarious. People will go mad over this for no valid reason and I'd like to hug whoever had this idea.
Would you accept a notch on your main TV screen that you watch satellite TV, streaming media and play games on?

Last edited:

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
For me - it doesn't seem so bad. I see several possible options:

Frame 1 (14).png

There are two very easy solutions for fullscreen modes.

1) Apple can blackout the top 74 pixels temporarily due to XDR having deep blacks. This would make the MacBook have a 16:10 aspect ratio which is what the current MacBooks have now.

2) Apple could expand the top menu bar down to fit the 74 pixel of the notch, again the app would be using the 16:10 space with the menu bar using the extra 74 pixels.

Reactions: m.x

another.reader

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2021
Seriously though, would you prefer the camera notch array or the classic forehead bezel on your new M1X MacBook Pro display?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
When you see how thin Windows laptop screen bezels are with the camera integrated into him, you’d need to question why Apple needs a notch, unless it features Face ID it makes no senses, but Face ID would be useless in clamshell mode. I think they’ll stick to Touch ID on a key. And their will be no notch.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It's almost certainly happening. All the pieces fit e.g. the 74 pixel taller resolution from MacOS itself, and now there's a leak of the panel (I doubt anyone's going to that much trouble to make a fake component leak).

Prosser and Koh were convinced the Apple Watch 7 would have flat edges on it in a totally new design, Gruber was convinced the new iPad Mini would not be launched at Apples last event but next year. All were totally wrong. Don’t believe a word you see or hear or read now from these supposed leakers until Apple announces it, they are getting more things wrong each year now, Apple is locking the leaks down tight.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Would you accept a notch on your main TV screen that you watch satellite TV, streaming media and play games on?

It is of no concern to me, because there will be an option to black out that area of the screen and just enjoy your 16:10 perfect rectangle.
But still a TV has no need for a webcam so no reason to employ a notch.
In this case it has no effect on the actual operation of the product, you'll just visualize this notch during the in-store demos and recognize this as a MacBook Pro. It's just brilliant marketing on Apple's side.
I'm only a bit mad because they will be withholding Face ID for a future revision, but no biggie as I prefer Touch ID anyway

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
When you see how thin Windows laptop screen bezels are with the camera integrated into him, you’d need to question why Apple needs a notch, unless it features Face ID it makes no senses, but Face ID would be useless in clamshell mode. I think they’ll stick to Touch ID on a key. And their will be no notch.

But then again, Touch ID doesn't work in clamshell mode as well

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Dell doesn't have FaceID bro.
But this new MBP isn't going to have FaceID bro. And proof? Where's your proof? Other than some sketchy rumor with a worse than Sasquatch type photo apparently showing a notch. It reminds me of the photo back in the day of the rumored iMac G5 being opened in a Paris elevator before the Macworld keynote. Even back then the photo was clearer than this "notch" MBP.

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
But this new MBP isn't going to have FaceID bro. And proof? Where's your proof? Other than some sketchy rumor with a worse than Sasquatch type photo apparently showing a notch. It reminds me of the photo back in the day of the rumored iMac G5 being opened in a Paris elevator before the Macworld keynote. Even back then the photo was clearer than this "notch" MBP.
Proof it won't have it?

iPad already has it.

drygioni

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
I'd be amazed if the notch has actual OS screen either side of it, it doesn't make sense. The leaks point to the exact measurements of the screen leaving a 16:10 aspect ratio if you discount the pixels that would make up black space either side of the notch. That wouldn't bother me at all, as long as the space goes black in full screen mode and hides any battery/wifi/whatever info.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
If you take your M1 13“ MBP or MBA to Starbucks, nobody is impressed by you as it looks like the same laptop everybody else is using. They don’t know that you are rocking the latest and greatest mobile computer by Apple.

With the introduction of the notch, as soon as you open your M2X 14” or 16” MBP, you win major flex points with everybody in Starbucks. Instead of writing your name on your frappuccino, they will simply call you by ”that fine gentlemen or madam with the latest and greatest MBP” when your order is ready, like a boss.

Now go buy your notched MBP and enjoy flexing at Starbucks everyone.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
If you take your M1 13“ MBP or MBA to Starbucks, nobody is impressed by you as it looks like the same laptop everybody else is using. They don’t know that you are rocking the latest and greatest mobile computer by Apple.

With the introduction of the notch, as soon as you open your M2X 14” or 16” MBP, you win major flex points with everybody in Starbucks. Instead of writing your name on your frappuccino, they will simply call you by ”that fine gentlemen or madam with the latest and greatest MBP” when your order is ready, like a boss.

Now go buy your notched MBP and enjoy flexing at Starbucks everyone.
Look what I can afford to spill coffee into in public or have wrenched from my hands on the way out the door! ?

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
The apple logo used to be a flex. Now the notch is the ultimate flex. Just lol @ peasants with 100% screen to body ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.