Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Notch

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • Forehead

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Why not use the space for things like time, battery status, etc… like on the phone. Then the menu bar is immediately below.
These are all things that would turn off when viewing video in full screen mode.
Because there would be a bunch of extra space not being used if all it contained was battery status, WiFi connection and time, and that sort of defeats the purpose of adding a notch (which is to add extra screen space at the top).

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
So the rumours were true. Awful notch without Face ID. Absolutely useless Apple.
It’s not useless. They added an additional 74 vertical pixels to the screen allowing for more space for apps. The notch also allows them to add Face ID in the future.
Plenty of laptops with no notch and also no forehead. I have a 5 year old dell xps which has no notch and no forehead, thin bezels. Idk why apple can't do it in 2021.
They likely don’t have the same image quality. And Apple wouldn’t do no-notch with thin bezels and then add a notch later when they add Face ID. This design is going to be used for the next 3-5 years. They’re future proofing the design of the screen.
A notch is not going to happen. These rumors are stupid and been wrong all year.
The notch did happen. Almost all rumors were correct.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
It’s not useless. They added an additional 74 vertical pixels to the screen allowing for more space for apps. The notch also allows them to add Face ID in the future.

They likely don’t have the same image quality. And Apple wouldn’t do no-notch with thin bezels and then add a notch later when they add Face ID. This design is going to be used for the next 3-5 years. They’re future proofing the design of the screen.

The notch did happen. Almost all rumors were correct.
Surprisingly yes they were all correct on this one. That was shocking after the bad year they had with the rumors. I ordered my 16" Max.

Reactions: Jorbanead

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Just saying, Dell XPS laptops have had super thin bezels with absolutely need for a notch for the last 7 years or so. And with better resolution too.

Love the thin bezels on XPS, but it's because they don't care about their cameras.

In the past it's been at the bottom of the screen (nose cam). This year they moved it to the top, but the quality is really bad.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
There's not going to be a notch

im never listening to an owl again

7334.jpg

seanwhat

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
you know what, yesterday i was mad about the notch but after reading others' comments and sleeping on it, i've changed my mind. the notch is going to be fine.

Reactions: 3Rock

Tech_Mac_Man

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2018
Toronto, ON
And a very crappy camera. I own one currently for my work. The smaller the camera the worse quality it is. Apple wanted good quality camera, it takes space.
I can care less for a webcam if the NEW Macbook Pro came without a webcam I would be more than happy. They could have just added a 1080p webcam adapter in the box for those who really need it.

Reactions: Natzoo

themacmeister

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Just got my Macbook Pro 14. What notch?

Actually, I just added 74 pixels of black on the top of my wallpaper and use dark mode. Screen dimensions are 3,024x1,964. Can't see the notch and I'm enjoying the extra screen real estate!

Hope this helps some of you anti-notchers.

IMG_1329.jpeg

Reactions: AltecX and Adarna

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Just got my Macbook Pro 14. What notch?

Actually, I just added 74 pixels of black on the top of my wallpaper and use dark mode. Screen dimensions are 3,024x1,964. Can't see the notch and I'm enjoying the extra screen real estate!

Hope this helps some of you anti-notchers.

View attachment 1879923
I've always been pro notch when it means the display borders are 3.5mm or less

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.