Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Notch

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • Forehead

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Anyone who thinks this notch is a good idea (or even acceptable) is insane! Look at the Dell XPS with no notch & how thin those bezels are. Yet we're somehow going to be saddled with an f'n notch? Maybe Elon Musk was right: We're living in a simulation. I want this simulation over. Hopefully this whole notch thing is a false alarm.

Reactions: Tech_Mac_Man

m.x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
For me - it doesn't seem so bad. I see several possible options:

View attachment 1868013

There are two very easy solutions for fullscreen modes.

1) Apple can blackout the top 74 pixels temporarily due to XDR having deep blacks. This would make the MacBook have a 16:10 aspect ratio which is what the current MacBooks have now.

2) Apple could expand the top menu bar down to fit the 74 pixel of the notch, again the app would be using the 16:10 space with the menu bar using the extra 74 pixels.

I really like your solutions and I think that's how they'll implement it (if they do). I could live with that, as long as you have options to switch between the different modes.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I really like your solutions and I think that's how they'll implement it (if they do). I could live with that, as long as you have options to switch between the different modes.

Notch mode? How about auto notch mode?

mosh.jinton

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2021
What if they're not removing the touch bar, just doubling the amount of them and moving them up to sit either side of the notch?

• Haha
Reactions: Cape Dave

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
How I imagine it - mode 1 was when you click the green circle entering true full screen mode. Mode 2 is where the window just expands to fill out the entire screen.

Also the more I think about it, I think mode 2 will just be the default mode. So the menu bar will always take the same height regardless.

m.x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
How I imagine it - mode 1 was when you click the green circle entering true full screen mode. Mode 2 is where the window just expands to fill out the entire screen.

Also the more I think about it, I think mode 2 will just be the default mode. So the menu bar will always take the same height regardless.

I think you’re right, auto-switching is way more elegant (and likely the Apple way).

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I wouldn’t mind a notch if it is on a consumer machine. But I think about how many applications I use that the tool bar is full across the screen and it seems very problematic.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I don't have worry about upgrading my MBP for awhile, but a notch would bug the daylights out of me. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I really needed to upgrade, but it wouldn't make me a happy camper.

Reactions: amacrumorsuser

You’re not me

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
…and in a related confirmed rumor, the Apple Pro XDR will be updated with a notch to help keep the Apple branded "iNotch" consistent across their product lines. By the end of next year every Apple product will have the new iNotch. Another unconfirmed rumor states that Apple will even update their logo to include a subtle notch as well.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
  • There is no Face ID, with the notch to house a 1080p webcam, an ambient light sensor, and an indicator light.
  • There will be a mini-LED display.
  • The MacBook Pro is "very thick, thick and heavy."
  • The maximum configuration of "32+4T" will be its biggest selling point.
  • Apple will add two large fans to the new chip.
  • "Don't expect too much on narrow borders. It is indeed narrow, but it is not much narrow."
  • Touch Bar is gone.
  • MacBook Pro models will feature MagSafe, HDMI Port, and SD Card slot.
  • No "MacBook Pro" logo on the bottom bezel.
  • Bezel width remains at the current size, with the bezels at the three sides basically the same width with the bottom bezel thicker.
  • The MacBook Pro "has various curves" to give people an "intuitive feeling that it is a large rectangle."

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
  • There is no Face ID, with the notch to house a 1080p webcam, an ambient light sensor, and an indicator light. NO NOTCH
  • There will be a mini-LED display. YES
  • The MacBook Pro is "very thick, thick and heavy." WTF NO
  • The maximum configuration of "32+4T" will be its biggest selling point. ???
  • Apple will add two large fans to the new chip. NO
  • "Don't expect too much on narrow borders. It is indeed narrow, but it is not much narrow." THEN WHY HAVE A GOD DAMN NOTCH
  • Touch Bar is gone. YES
  • MacBook Pro models will feature MagSafe, HDMI Port, and SD Card slot. YES
  • No "MacBook Pro" logo on the bottom bezel. YES
  • Bezel width remains at the current size, with the bezels at the three sides basically the same width with the bottom bezel thicker. PUZZLING STATEMENT GIVEN ABOVE CRAP ABOUT A NOTCH
  • The MacBook Pro "has various curves" to give people an "intuitive feeling that it is a large rectangle." GIBBERISH

I wish this forum allowed swearing because I would be dropping F bombs every possible moment I could in reference to this notch. So I guess Emojis will have to do.

????????????????????

Reactions: amacrumorsuser

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
For me - it doesn't seem so bad. I see several possible options:

View attachment 1868013

There are two very easy solutions for fullscreen modes.

1) Apple can blackout the top 74 pixels temporarily due to XDR having deep blacks. This would make the MacBook have a 16:10 aspect ratio which is what the current MacBooks have now.

2) Apple could expand the top menu bar down to fit the 74 pixel of the notch, again the app would be using the 16:10 space with the menu bar using the extra 74 pixels.
Why not use the space for things like time, battery status, etc… like on the phone. Then the menu bar is immediately below.
These are all things that would turn off when viewing video in full screen mode.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
These are what my source told me:

-notch

-480p front camera to give user a 'nostalgic window into the past.'

-Body has various curves designed to be erotic, but crucially 'not in a slutty way'

-Two Touch Bars. One exclusively to show U2 upcoming tour and album information

-No inner MacBook logo but startup sound will feature Scott Forstall saying "Hello there"

m.x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014

-notch

-Body has various curves designed to be erotic, but crucially 'not in a slutty way'

-No inner MacBook logo but startup sound will feature Scott Forstall saying "Hello there"

You forgot the entry model has 4GB RAM + 64GB SSD (chip shortage) ;-)

Reactions: paddylaz

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010

-notch

lies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.