Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
282162659_nCisp-XL.jpg

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
"Urban Jungle"

Cool pic Carlos! I like how the sun rays out. You must have been standing at a pretty beautiful spot with that view.

So I took some of my first night shots yesterday in downtown San Diego. I am totally new to this so I did not really know what to do. I took 5-10 shots of each scene to guarantee proper exposure (-2 - 1 0 +1 +2). I set my ISO to 200... (was that right?) and shot everything in raw. Using apertures of 2.8 5.6 and 11 with shutter speeds from a half second to 30 seconds, I did my entire shoot. Any pointers would be great because I have seen some incredible night photography on this site. My entire shoot for the day is on my smugmug (in the sig) in the Coronado album.
282030646_jT5MG-L-1.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
So I took some of my first night shots yesterday in downtown San Diego. I am totally new to this so I did not really know what to do. I took 5-10 shots of each scene to guarantee proper exposure (-2 - 1 0 +1 +2). I set my ISO to 200... (was that right?) and shot everything in raw. Using apertures of 2.8 5.6 and 11 with shutter speeds from a half second to 30 seconds, I did my entire shoot. Any pointers would be great because I have scene some incredible night photography on this site. My entire shoot for the day is on my smugmug (in the sig) in the Coronado album.
http://jppics.smugmug.com/photos/282030646_jT5MG-L-1.jpg

Night scenes.. My way of working (don't mean it's the right way ;)) is to use a tripod, the lowest ISO (that's 100 on my Nikon D200), and a shutter speed that's appropriate for the 'sweet spot' of my lens (that's f11 or thereabouts). I shoot on 'manual and, typically, my exposures will be from 5-30 seconds.

The best time, for me, is the hour after sunset, when, crucially, there's still some light in the sky. I try to 'balance' the ambient light and with other lights (floodlights, street-lights, etc...). After the 'magic hour', the sky goes dark, then black, and I don't tend to shoot in these conditions.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
I'd be interested to know more about this. How does one know the "sweet spot?"

'Blow up' a pic to 100% in Photoshop and check critical focus. I'm selling pix through the Alamy agency, and this is what they ask photographers to do ('cos it's what they do, when assessing image quality). I mostly use Nikon's 'kit' lens (18-70), so I'm keen to get the best out of it. And, anyway, don't most (all?) lenses perform best at f11 or thereabouts? :)

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
'Blow up' a pic to 100% in Photoshop and check critical focus. I'm selling pix through the Alamy agency, and this is what they ask photographers to do ('cos it's what they do, when assessing image quality). I mostly use Nikon's 'kit' lens (18-70), so I'm keen to get the best out of it. And, anyway, don't most (all?) lenses perform best at f11 or thereabouts? :)

Very Interesting. Thanks for the tips.

I was wondering about the proper aperture because I did not know what the best would be. Good to know that ISO of 100 would be the best as well.

When I want to take a picture just after sunset, do I meter to the sky? Also, do I need to change white balance or leave it on auto?

Another problem I had was taking pictures of bright scenes. For example, a scene of the pier with fairly bright lights caused a lot of 'noise bubbles' rendering my image useless. Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks again Doylem.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah

I also read somewhere, that on the D300 its sweet spot is at f/11 and on the full frame D3 was f/16 if I remember correctly. So on this last trip to CR I tried to follow this advice and while over looking some awesome mountains I shot one at 22 and one at 11, and for sure enough (using the loupe in Aperture) the shot at f/11 was sharper.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
When I want to take a picture just after sunset, do I meter to the sky? Also, do I need to change white balance or leave it on auto?

Another problem I had was taking pictures of bright scenes. For example, a scene of the pier with fairly bright lights caused a lot of 'noise bubbles' rendering my image useless. Is there a way to prevent this?

If I'm shooting pix after sunset, i'll generally give myself enough time to shoot a series of pix. The ambient light changes, of course, while the streetlights and floodlight and car headlights stay the same. There'll come a time (it may only last a few minutes) when ambient light and artificial light achieve a kind of balance... and this is when the best pix come, IMO. This balance means the sky is still full of colour (not black...) and the pinpoints of artificial light sources won't look like 'blown out' highlights. The scene will look natural and need little or no PP (which is what I aim for).

Metering? It's trial and error for the first couple of shots, as I review the pix. White balance I leave till later, 'cos I always shoot RAW...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I also read somewhere, that on the D300 its sweet spot is at f/11 and on the full frame D3 was f/16 if I remember correctly. So on this last trip to CR I tried to follow this advice and while over looking some awesome mountains I shot one at 22 and one at 11, and for sure enough (using the loupe in Aperture) the shot at f/11 was sharper.

It's not the body, the sweet spot differs for each lens. For most lenses it is 1 or 2 stops slower than the fastest speed.

f/2.8 = f/4-8
f/4 = f/8-11

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
View of Cascade Head, Oregon

...from a friend's place you can see the last stretches of the Salmon River before it exits into the Pacific at Cascade Head.

DSC_2321.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/160 sec
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 18mm

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
sign4202008qz6.png

Outside Yankee Stadium, New York City
April 20th, 2008
D40 | 1/320 at ƒ/5.6 | 55 mm | ISO 200

On the last day of his five day trip to the United States, the Pope arrived to a crowd of more than 60,000 people for a mass at Yankee Stadium this afternoon. After having been at Ground Zero in lower Manhattan during the morning, he was supposed to arrive at around 2:30 PM. The security outside the stadium was very high when I arrived. The area was filled with NYPD, Secret Service, snipers on rooftops as well as the stadium, counter terrorism units, and barricades. It felt as if there were thousand people outside the stadium with me; standing on their toes trying to take pictures, selling all kinds of Pope Benedict paraphernalia. Some chanted, some protested. I took pictures.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I took this one in Nassau while waiting for the Straw market to open....He spent the whole night drinking at Senor Frogs and was passed out on the pier haha...

Bum
411a93de8c0249f4903a7d45077ab9d5

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
not funny?? I thought it was hillarious...i mean we were on the island at 9 and Senor Frogs closes at like 4 so he'd been there a while...:D

Guy drinks himself into a stupor (for reasons best known to himself...) and passes out in the street. Somebody sees him, takes his picture, posts it on the www and thinks it's "hilarious". Right... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.