Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Snake in the grass

I discovered this Garter snake scooting among what left of the winter snows here in Sudbury. I tried to anticipate his tongue flick.... but we were both a little nervous of each other. Original raw file cropped and adjusted in Aperture. F5.6 iso 100 speed 1/90.

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 139

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Elephant seal pup

Ano Nuevo State beach, north central California coast. This time of year the cows are on the beach, molting, and a few pups are still hanging around. Great time of year for getting intimate shots.

Click for large image ...
3438335671_8c736d66e5_o.jpg

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
not a photographer in any way, but often look through these threads at some of the amazing pictures.

anyway, i was checking out how to make miniature style photographs and did this to an old holiday snap with photoshop. hope you like :)

Attachments

• DSCF0142.JPG
    DSCF0142.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 116

LowDogg

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Blue Angels

This was from earlier in the month in Montgomery,AL.

Attachments

• DSC02202.jpg
    DSC02202.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 85

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
This was a still frame from an animation I'm making for my imaging class. Pretty boring composition but I like the colors (and the drink was fantastic). Taken at the foundation, a fantastic new bar in an excavated basement in downtown raleigh.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
^^ Very nice, Doylem. I sure miss the UK. We just don't grow buildings like that over here
Yup yup, I went to UK once and I love their buildings there and their lifestyle feels very relaxing.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
wow dllavaneras, how did you get those shots? Whats your eq? EXIF? and erm...did you use extension tube or something?

mac-a-doodle

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Michigan
Finally, I think I understand. I know I appreciate it!

Vernacular architecture: the Old Post Office (and I remember when it was a shop)...

winsterpo.jpg

Doylem,

After several months of checking in daily here to learn what I can about taking good pictures, it's occurred to me that your genius is very much in parallel to your method for taking pictures. You just need to sit back a little, not knowing exactly what is going to come into frame, and after some patience you end up with something really special.

I have to admit that when I first got familiar with this site, I didn't understand the fuss... what's so great about those landscapes and random sheep? But now I get it-- and would say your work is like a fine wine (you need to know what you're looking at to really appreciate it). I've really enjoyed seeing the range of your art over time, and you've taught me to be a little more patient in the process (as well as some keys to fine photography).

Cheers.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
wow dllavaneras, how did you get those shots? Whats your eq? EXIF? and erm...did you use extension tube or something?

His EXIF is intact in his photos. If you don't have an EXIF viewer for your browser, you should seek one out. Highly recommended!

Oh, and by the way, dllavaneras, I second that "wow."

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Lol, these are actually from a little while ago, but Im just getting around posting them now: (Hope you dont mind me posting quite a few, but its been a while)

n554500337_3548579_4388.jpg

n554500337_3548529_8423.jpg

n554500337_3548564_5711.jpg

n554500337_3548567_596.jpg

n554500337_3548569_4944.jpg

n554500337_3548571_7982.jpg
a

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Doylem,

After several months of checking in daily here to learn what I can about taking good pictures, it's occurred to me that your genius is very much in parallel to your method for taking pictures. You just need to sit back a little, not knowing exactly what is going to come into frame, and after some patience you end up with something really special.

I have to admit that when I first got familiar with this site, I didn't understand the fuss... what's so great about those landscapes and random sheep? But now I get it-- and would say your work is like a fine wine (you need to know what you're looking at to really appreciate it). I've really enjoyed seeing the range of your art over time, and you've taught me to be a little more patient in the process (as well as some keys to fine photography).

Cheers.

Thanks for this. There's nothing 'special' about how I shoot: Nikon D200, 18-70 kit lens and tripod. And I only started using a tripod because my pix were being rejected by a photo agency I wanted to supply. It solved the problem (and, incidentally, allowed me to get the best out of what is very much a budget lens). I was obviously not as good as I thought I was at holding a camera rock steady at, typically, 1/125sec

Best of all, it slowed me down. I set the camera up, locked the composition, and started to look a bit harder at what was going on around me. I stopped having to get good pictures; without that 'pressure', I started to relax. Fewer expectations, less 'friction'. I 'settled into' the landscape - less thinking, more looking - which easily became a kind of meditation.

When I came back home I seemed to have more pictures I liked. It seemed an odd equation: less effort = better pictures. But by not rushing around, it's easier, I think, to see the potential of a location or event. I trust that things will work out for the best, and often they do.

I was out walking the hills with friends last week. I took my camera, but no tripod... it actually felt strange and restricting, like something was missing. But, of course, I can't ask friends to sit down and watch light chasing shadows across Lakeland fells for an hour. But it might be fun to lead some workshops. At the very least I might be able to persuade a dissatisfied snapper that what he needs isn't a fancy new lens... but an empty mind. :)

It's healthy, I reckon, to slow down a bit. We all find it hard to concentrate on anything, because our attention flits from one thing to another every few seconds. I threw my TV away three years ago, finding there was nothing worth watching (celebrities eating grubs in the jungle? I don't think so...). And now, when I see a bit of TV, it's all cut so fast. The camera isn't allowed to linger on anything for more than a second or two. Watching it just gives me a headache.

So, yes, a bit more patience is something we can all do with. Sometimes less is more...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot...

On board an Alaska Airlines 737 heading north from Mazatlan, MX to Seattle, WA, USA. It was 82F when we left, and 27F and snowing when we landed...
More from the point 'n shoot gallery... Sony DSC-W120 budget digicam.

DSC00154.JPG

Camera: SONY
Model: DSC-W120
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/40 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 5.4mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.